PDA

View Full Version : I need a little legal advise?

super_civic
07-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Im going to be representing myself in court and its my first time pleading Not Guilty so I was wondering what should I expect or what should I do?

I know, its a long story but If you can read it, please give me some advise.

Alright, about a month ago me and some friends drove up to the White Tank Mountains after work to take some pictures of our cars up there, we got there about 7:00pm and I think the park closes at 8 on sundays. But when we got to the little gate/booth thing at the entrance there was a huge ass RV blocking the way in kinda...so me and my two friends squoze past him with our cars and continued up the mountain.

We cruised around looking for a good spot, found one, took pictures and suff and chilled for a while. Then we noticed what time it was, i saw my phone and it was 7:57! So we were like "oh shit lets go before we get locked in."

So we hop in our cars and start heading to the gate. And on the way there we were coming around a long ass sloping bend that was like a blind corner, so I was hugging the outside with my car to make sure not to hit any oncoming traffic that might be flying around this corner. And my fucking passengerside wheels catch the pebbles on the side of the road... So I quickly jerk the steering wheel to try to get it out, but i guess I countered too hard and the car popped out and started heading towards the other side of the road! So then I try to turn back again to the right real quick but my fucking crappy ass 185/65/R14 Nankang tires on my HX's gave out in the rear wheels and the whole backend of the car slid out. So my car slipped right off the road into the dirt and bushes and rocks and shit...

My friends stop, we try pushing and pulling it out with our hands and stuff, but no luck. I try driving out, and that didnt work either. So by then it was about 8:05 and fucking dark as hell on the mountain and one of my friends had to go so he left. And it was just me and my buddy with his Eclipse GSX. So we decide to call a friend with a truck and a rope to come and see if he can help pull my car out.

So we're waiting by the car and this maitnance SUV comes by, its some super ancient dude who looks like hes 80yrs old. I tell him what happened and ask if he can get a rope to pull the car out. And he says he'll go to the maitanence yard and check. So we were like "cool, thanks."
But then after 45 minutes, we didnt think he was coming back...so we lock up my car and get in the gsx and start heading up gate.
And thats when we see that SUV driving away from us! So we speed up to catch him and HE starts speeding up too! We're like "What the fuck?? Is he trying to get away?" So my friend drops a gear and punches it to catch him. We pull up alongside him and I ask "did you get a rope?" and the old guy says "No, I called someone with a truck and a winch to come help you guys"...

So we let him go and go back to my car to check on it...then wait another 30 minutes, and then decide to call my friend again who was supposed to come with a rope and we tell him its ok he doesnt have too. And we start heading up to the gate once again. But on the way up to the gate we run into this Big Ass Sheriff truck! And in my head im thinking...That motherfucker called the police!?...
So we tell him to follow us to my car and we go back.

Once we get there, I get out of the gsx and start heading to the Sheriff truck when he yells "STOP RIGHT THERE! PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK AND TURN AROUND!!" So im like holy shit? He gets out and handcuffs me...then goes over to the gsx and pulls my friend out of his car and handcuffs him too. He comes back over to me and says "You guys think this is your fuckin race track? I got reports saying you guys were racing around the mountain" I say "Who said we were racing? We were leaving the park?" I think he just ignored what I said...

Then he asks "How the fuck did your car get stuck then?" And I tell him the story, then he asks how fast I was going. And I said "I dont know like 25, but since I was on the slope I probably picked up speed so i dont, I wasnt looking at the speed." In all honesty I didnt even look at my speedometer when that happened I was paying attention to the road and trying to recover control of the car.

So he goes and sits in his truck for like 30 minutes. While me and my friend are sitting outside on the road in the dark on the mountain, and to add icing to the fucking cake it started to rain lol.
So the sheriff calls us over and he has us sign these tickets. On the tickets, my friend is charged with failure to pay park fee...and on mine its Speed not R&P, and I got failure to pay park fee.
But he wrote down for my speed I was going 45mph in a 25mph? I thought WTF? When did I say I was going 20mph over the speed limit? Whatever...I didnt want to argue with him about it because he was going to pull the car out for me.

So he uses the winch on the truck and we pull the car out, and to my suprise there wasnt any bad damage on the car. I got a scrape on the rear bumper and the heat shield underneath the car by the resonator was mangled, but thats all.
So we follow him to the gate, he unlocks it and we drive home.

I went to Buckeye court a few days ago and went before the judge and I told him what happened. He suspended the charges for Failure to Pay Park Fee, because it was our first time at the park, and he said it was very wierd in the speeding case. So I plead Not guilty and I have to take it to trial in like late august against the Sheriff.

I was wondering, how can a Officer give me a speeding ticket when he wasnt even there to witness the violation? It doesnt make sense because theres no way he could prove I was going that fast?

Any help is appreciated.

SweetNuts
07-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a hill billy cop just trying to be hard on some kids. I am usually all for the police but this dude sounds like a douche. just go in there and tell the truth man. i really am interested in what the sheriff is gonna say though. you should be fine especially since the other judge thought the speeding was also weird.

apSquidFace
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
i was pulled over on a street racing ticket once in prescott. The officer was hiding in an alley way down town and said he "heard" tires schreeching, however he didnt have a radar gun and or was he able to see the light i had come from. In truth there was a ford lightning heading the other direction doing burn outs...needless to say i plead not guilty and took it to court. Because the officer didnt witness anything and was making an assumtion the charges were dropped. I dont think the sherrif has a case there is no way to determine how fast you wre going with out being paced or radar tacked, youll win for sure. as far as the park fee goes, you may be stuck.

skar1
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
thats bullshit, just plead ur case and be polite, the judge'll probable take ur side since the cop wasnt there when u slid off the road but gl

BigJsaid
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
pm'd

teemfedx
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I need a little legal advise?

you've come to the right spot.

lol....

i keed.

just plead no contest, that would have been better, but if you are already going to court i cant really see how this would turn out bad for you, just a waste of your time. there is no way the judge would belive this officer had even seen you or even heard you driving "reckles". you were in a simple accident, im sure it happens all the time, but since you were in an import you were singled out as a racer and giving a speeding ticket to add insult to injury (Car's bumper).

i dont know anything about the court system personally, but after reading that story...(if thats really what happened)...i dont see any problems.

AZ_CIVIC
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
You should be able to beat the rap, but my girlfriends sister was driving on the 101 a couple years ago and a truck cut in front of her and alomost side swiped her, causing her to go off the road. Once she got off the road she went through those wires and hit another car head on, on the other side. She was giving a ticket for not controling her vehicle, even though she was basically pushed off.

B17power
07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Well an old friend of mine had somthing similar happen to him like this. We were up in jerome and cruizin down the mountain and we hit a patch of dirt and skidded right into the guard rail. So, our thought was shit keep driving man. Well apperently some people called the cops and while we were cruizin to the bottom. out of no were we got surrounded at gun point. And they asked us why we were racing. they even took my buddie to jail. The thing is they were goin off of 'COMPLAINTS' they didnt see anything happen. We did admit to smackin a guard rail but the "racing" was crap he went to court and they dropped the speeding charge but,they kept the reckless driving and destruction of city property.my friend aslso showed up to court wit a casualties shirt on and a mowhawk. complete dumbass. I can say dress nice be respectfull and kiss ass GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

Nate_AP1
07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
dont see what the issue is.....

unless he pulls out some kinda crazy mountain road radar/monitoring system that catches your speed....just tell them what you told us

super_civic
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
i was pulled over on a street racing ticket once in prescott. The officer was hiding in an alley way down town and said he "heard" tires schreeching, however he didnt have a radar gun and or was he able to see the light i had come from. In truth there was a ford lightning heading the other direction doing burn outs...needless to say i plead not guilty and took it to court. Because the officer didnt witness anything and was making an assumtion the charges were dropped. I dont think the sherrif has a case there is no way to determine how fast you wre going with out being paced or radar tacked, youll win for sure. as far as the park fee goes, you may be stuck.

Oh dont worry about the Failure to pay the park fee ticket, I got that one removed because we told the judge what happened; that there was the RV in the way and it was our first time going to the mountain.
So the judge said he would suspend that charge. Meaning i would not be convicted of the crime.

And when i talked to the judge about the Speeding not Repriable and Prudent, he asked "wait, did you run into the officer after the slip?" I was like "Yes sir, we actually ran into him about 2 and a half hours after the slip. I dont even know how he knew I was speeding? Can he do that?"
I even offered, I said i would pay the speeding ticket because I did mess up, but I asked if I could do community service to keep it off my record.
But the judge said I cant do com. service for traffic citations. And then he said I could either plead Guilty, or Not guilty. He didnt give me the option of pleading No Contest.

i_timmers
07-31-2008, 03:56 PM
The "speed not reasonable and prudent" will probably stick because you didn't negotiate the turn at the right speed, that's why you slid off the road. Deputy Dog is probably going to tell the judge he investigated the scene and from what his "expert opinion" can determine by the marks, dirt, debris and where your car landed, that you were going appoximately 45mph. HE's gonna go all CSI on you, and the judge! LOL! The police are supposed to be somewhat "trained" on this. I'm not saying you'll lose your case, but be prepared for stupid stuff like this to come out of nowhere. Maybe the judge will lessen the charge/fine and let you on your way, but it sucks if it stays on your record.

Judges can be cool sometimes.... but you never know if he's having a good day or not...

auex
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
did you leave any skid marks? they can judge speed from those.

teemfedx
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Deputy Dog

lol at deputy dog

super_civic
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
did you leave any skid marks? they can judge speed from those.

Couldnt tell it was night time.
And I havent been up there since it happened...there is no fucking way on Earth I am going to pay $6 just to get in there.

shadowed
07-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I've had this exact same ticket happen. I spun out in an intersection thanks to some VERY shitty road conditions, and some rent-a-cop called the police and a patrol car shows up ten minutes later. I would have driven away (car was fine) but I went over a curb and I was literally an inch from the wall, and unable to back out because of a bus stop behind me. The rent-a-cop said that I "tore ass around the corner and I knew he wasn't going to make it". Bullshit, as he was like 3 cars behind the front car in the intersection i was turning left onto.

The officer breathalyzed me (and had a sad face when it read 0.00) and then cited me for Speed Less than R/P. He asked how fast I was going when i turned, and I said like 30. He marked it at 35.... in a 35. It's a 45mph zone.

Well when my court date rolled around, the cop showed up so I was worried. He drew a diagram describing how my car allegedly spun out, and it was WRONG (he got the direction of spin completely wrong).

I pointed out his inaccurate diagram to the judge, then explained that it happened right after the first rain in months (lots of grease built up on the road). I also pointed out that my speed was, despite the turn, still 15mph under the 45mph zone, and that the officer had marked it as a 35 zone.

Well, that was the end of my day at court. This was my first ticket, and I got a judge who was notorious for hating traffic offenders. But the evidence pilled up in my favor, and I got out of the ticket! Honestly, I did deserve it, but there was no proof that I was driving recklessly.

If I were you, I'd point out that the officer cited you based off of the word of another person, and that an officer must witness the infraction in order to cite it (unless there are witnesses). Also point out the hazardous road conditions, and definitely hammer on how much of a dick the sherif was. Explain that you were cuffed (which would normally imply being arrested) for absolutely NO REASON. And your friend was too.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Too bad he didn't illegally search you, because then you'd really be able to screw him over.

Rufus
07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Oh my Christ, this thread has too many words

skar1
07-31-2008, 10:06 PM
i agree with the zohan, i wanted to keep reading but i stopped after my post, but lol at deputy dog

Mafioso
07-31-2008, 10:13 PM
my brain hurts!

gugu06
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
you should be fine as long as there are no witnesses and proof

AZDM
07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Coming from a guy with lots of experience with law enforcement (me being against them) you should be good. He put an exact mph on the ticket. He needed to have clocked you with radar to give an exact mph on the ticket. He has to have some proof of your speed, BUT since he doesn't, you're ok. Just talk to the judge with respect and humility and the judge will be on your side no matter what. Judges actually don't like cops either cuz they cause a lot of problems in the court room. Baliffs are different though LOL...

JDMitation
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
sounds beat-able to me.

super_civic
08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
The cop was a straight up DOUCHE BAG haha. Heres another example of deputy dog's bitch assness lol : After the sheriff had hand cuffed the both of us, and was walking over to hop in his truck and start writing us our tickets, my friend said alloud "man i better close my windows." (Because it was starting to rain.) Then he asked the sheriff "Can I roll up my windows?" And he ignored him. So my friend said it again. And the sheriff then said "Hey why dont you shut up and sit down for a second while I do this."
I swear to god this cop REALLY was just being a douche for no reason. Before he detained us, we were being polite, and even after he cuffed us we still were being polite, but he was a douche up until after he pulled my car out of the dirt.

Oh btw am I allowed to bring my friend with me to court?

shadowed
08-01-2008, 03:11 PM
The cop was a straight up DOUCHE BAG haha. Heres another example of deputy dog's bitch assness lol : After the sheriff had hand cuffed the both of us, and was walking over to hop in his truck and start righting us our tickets, my friend said alloud "man i better close my windows." (Because it was starting to rain.) Then he asked the sheriff "Can I roll up my windows?" And he ignored him. So my friend said it again. And the sheriff then said "Hey why dont you shut up and sit down for a second while I do this."
I swear to god this cop REALLY was just being a douche for no reason. Before he detained us, we were being polite, and even after he cuffed us we still were being polite, but he was a douche up until after he pulled my car out of the dirt.

Oh btw am I allowed to bring my friend with me to court?

He was a witness to it all so I think that is ok

i_timmers
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
:type: I'm glad everyone liked the Deputy Dog reference!:thumbup::but: I do believe you'll be ok, just be expecting some wierd shit... You never know what kinda crap law enforcement officers will do next.

super_civic
08-01-2008, 09:38 PM
:type: I'm glad everyone liked the Deputy Dog reference!:thumbup::but: I do believe you'll be ok, just be expecting some wierd shit... You never know what kinda crap law enforcement officers will do next.

Dude, the deputy dog remark was perfect lol.

I swear if you guys would have seen this guy you would know that he is white trash looking to have fun.
He was this kinda short white guy, about 5'8 and probably like 180lbs. He had plain ass face, and not too much of a chin. Like his chin basically molded into his neck... no adam's apple lol. You could tell the dude hasnt exercised since his training course to become a Sheriff...
And he used the 'F' word exesively...dont know why, he was mad like I just punched his wife in the face or something haha.

super_civic
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys
I just got my court date information in the mail yesterday.
Aug 27th at 1:30pm...Now I have to drive all the way back to central Buckeye...

Hopeless EP3
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
funny thing is he cant give you a speeding ticket he didnt see it ;)

DVS
08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Good luck!

super_civic
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks.
I think Im going to try to bring my friend that was there just in case.
Do you think the judge will not like that I bring my friend just to back me up? I imagine thats what the judge would be thiinking if he sees me there with my friend...

Jermey1
08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
have your friends write staements that they were following you down the mountain and was going the speed limit, also take pictures of the condition of the road ( pebbles, etc ). just plead your case. i know it sounds dumb but my brother got off of a street racing ticket that way so it might work?

super_civic
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I hate to bring back an old dead thread....

But I just wanna let you all know that I went to court today at 1:30pm
I signed in then went and waited in the courtroom for about 5 minutes with like 4 other people and 3 officers. Then the judge walked in and called my name first.
I went up to him and he said the case stuff and said "Is officer Miller here?" No one answered so he said "Do you wish to dismiss the charges?"
I said "YES SIR" and I was free to go.

The Sheriff didnt show up to court. Buckeye Court: 0 Me: 1

INTEGRA DC2
08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
NICE i bet thats a relief

faze
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
good job mang!.......police=:upyours:

super_civic
08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
NICE i bet thats a relief

It is a HUGE relief...

The only wierd thing about it all is that I kind of feel disatisfied haha. I know I won but, Like I did a lot of research on my rights and the Laws that I was accused of breaking, and I did A LOT of writing and reading. I had like 5-6 pages of Speeds that are reasonable and prudent and stuff.

jdm egizzle 6
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
1.I didn't read any of the post of ur peers but ima say going to court repersenting ur self bad idea haven't heard of n e one win lik that against the law
2. Fuck arpio n those fucks
3.I was in a situation lik it
Me and a friend were speeding long time ago I was way ahead of him I saw a deisel turning ahead so I switch lane then I look at my rear view mirror n see him wreck into the semi I went to help him I asked him y he didn't switch he said he don't kno
Cops came they said if I wasn't next to him he wouldn't ov crashed which is bull shit cuz I wasn't near him
My point is cop are not accuret n they will use wat they can

DarkAngel
08-30-2008, 01:15 AM
It is a HUGE relief...

The only wierd thing about it all is that I kind of feel disatisfied haha. I know I won but, Like I did a lot of research on my rights and the Laws that I was accused of breaking, and I did A LOT of writing and reading. I had like 5-6 pages of Speeds that are reasonable and prudent and stuff.

Well at least you are more aware of your regulations and statutes now.

Glad you got out of it. But yea, if the officer does not show up, it gets thrown out, simple as that. I actually had that happen to me a long time ago. Simple traffic ticket I wanted to fight due to a speed limit flaw on the City's part. I waited and waited and never saw him show. Then the judge just told me you may leave, the officer is not going to show. I was like, Yea! Then went on my way.