PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe Removal

AZ_CIVIC
08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
What can I use to safely remove the stock pin striping on my car.

AZ_CIVIC
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Is there any painters on here that Know what to do.

dpd069
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Is it paint or vinyl?

If it is vinyl, 3M makes a 'eraser' that mounts on a Roloc disc for a 90-deg die grinder, or I suppose you could use it on a drill motor too.

You can also peel it off, but the adhesive will leave a residue where the strip was. 3M makes the adhesive remover too. It is a pain in the ass to get it all off.

If it is painted, it is going to be harder, especially if they are buried under clear.

If they are under clear coat, learn to live with them or cover them over with a bigger strip or graphic.

If they were sitting on top of the paint, I think i'd try softening them a little with reducer (try it someplace inconspicuous first, like the inside of your trunk. Then I would scrape as much of it off as I could with a razor blade - don't cut it off, scrape it. Use a fresh single edge blade on each panel. You will probably have to color sand it and polish it after you are done. Don't gouge the paint.

Good luck

ICUJockin
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I hate pinstripes... newer car?

AZ_CIVIC
08-09-2008, 04:19 PM
thanks

mj213
08-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Other option, if it's not under the clear coat, and it is vinyl you can remove it with a plastic scraping tool with goo gone. You can also use cooking oil, though goo gone has the adhesive dissolving solvent in it, along with a lubricant to prevent it from readhering to the surface.

p-townHONDA
08-09-2008, 04:50 PM
heat gun

brzln
09-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Is it paint or vinyl?

If it is vinyl, 3M makes a 'eraser' that mounts on a Roloc disc for a 90-deg die grinder, or I suppose you could use it on a drill motor too.

You can also peel it off, but the adhesive will leave a residue where the strip was. 3M makes the adhesive remover too. It is a pain in the ass to get it all off.

If it is painted, it is going to be harder, especially if they are buried under clear.

If they are under clear coat, learn to live with them or cover them over with a bigger strip or graphic.

If they were sitting on top of the paint, I think i'd try softening them a little with reducer (try it someplace inconspicuous first, like the inside of your trunk. Then I would scrape as much of it off as I could with a razor blade - don't cut it off, scrape it. Use a fresh single edge blade on each panel. You will probably have to color sand it and polish it after you are done. Don't gouge the paint.

Good luck

well put!! this says it all

JSPECEK9TYPER1
09-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Eraser wheel is the professional way and a good wax job