PDA

View Full Version : B16A2 swap info needed

RudysImports
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Im going to drop in a b16a2 in a 95 coupe I just picked up.
What engine harness will I need to use, and what shift linkage? I will most likely be running a chipped P28....

JDM_CTR_EK9
08-17-2008, 02:47 PM
pm'd.....

Charlee
08-17-2008, 03:59 PM
you use your stock harness and add vtec. you need a shift linkage off an integra

JDM BOII
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
you use your stock harness and add vtec. you need a shift linkage off an integra

exactly... adding vtec is easy..

SiR Mikey
08-17-2008, 04:16 PM
you use your stock harness, add vtec and run the numbers on your motor. you need a shift linkage off an integra

Fixed

Just lookin out man

dsack
08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
hey did you get a diffrent throttle cable.i know the a2 one dose not fit in a ej1

SofaKingTyte
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
i think you can use an integra ls throttle cable, im not positive though. you are also going to need to swap injector clips and alternator clips as well if you are using the ones on the a2.

RudysImports
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I just bought the Coupe, had no engine nor harness. I was told I can just use a 96-01 gsr harness..Correct??? did not think about the throttle cable, which one do I need?

SofaKingTyte
08-17-2008, 05:08 PM
i would try to come across any obd1 harness and maybe buy a vtec sub harness to save any hassle, shouldnt be more than a hundred bucks for both

Charlee
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I just bought the Coupe, had no engine nor harness. I was told I can just use a 96-01 gsr harness..Correct??? did not think about the throttle cable, which one do I need?

just get the harness FOR your coupe and dont worry about it. if its an ex you dont need to wire btak because it came with a z6, meaning it is wired for vtec already.

RudysImports
08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
its a dx coupe....

dsack
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
idid the same swap.
obd1 sohc vtec harness-chipped p28
the obd2 dizzy prong will not match the obd1 harness,so if you have a sohc dizzy just cut the dizzyside harness and rewire color match the wires and heat wrap them ,no jumper needed.and as for the odd2 alterinator just take it out and if you have the odd1 ,you kan just take apart the odd1 alterinator houseing (the rear )and just switch it out so the obd2 can be used on the obd1 harness. sohc vtec inlectors will work in that b16a2 .a couple of sensor you will not use,but try and leave them in so no check engine light will not come on . shit i kant remember i did this swap while back .lol yea if you have any problems look or parts from a del sol b16 ..
gsr rear tranny mount,the si on will not fit...
gsr shift linkage...
sohc passenger stock mount will fit..
gsr driver side mount will be needed ..
b18 throttle cable and dont forget the bracket.they sell this at imoprt power house.

VTECin5th
08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
If it's the TRUE a2 swap, from a 99-00 Si, do this:

Locate a 96-98! INTEGRA GSR/TYPE-R engine wiring harness. This is direct plug and play in all EG's. All plugs will fit the existing obd2 components found on the b16a2 and will plug right into the obd1 tower plugs.
This eliminates you having to find obd1 injectors, alternator or distributor.
This harness 'trick' is by FAR the easiest way to do this swap.
(I paid $60 on ebay for mine and see them for under 100 all the time, everywhere)

Use 95 Integra Axles if axles aren't included.
Use 99-00 Si Shiftlinkage or 94-01 Integra shiftlinkage.

Get the rear T-Bracket from any 94-2001 Integra.
Get the driver's side mount bracket (And the mount depending on the civic's model) from any 94-2001 Integra.

You can use the stock throttle cable but you'll need to make something to hold it in place, we welded a bracket to another bracket but there are other options for this.

Depending on Model, you may still need to run a few wires for VTEC from ECU to the shock plugs.

I ran a chipped p28 that I purchased from cbaracing many years ago and I burned a stock EDM b16a chip.

You're all done.

dsack
08-17-2008, 07:27 PM
well most ppl are on budgets and good luck on finding a gsr/type r harness..but plug and play is good

RudysImports
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
The gsr harness way seems much easier... Okay I have all 3 mounts from hasport, and the rear t-bracker... I just bought a complete gsr engine harness/and p72(witch was part of the deal) on ebay(i think it was a deal) So the harness issue resolved, just will need to wire the vtec(no problem). Now for the ecu should I get rid of the p72 and get a chipped p28??? or should I get a ecu jumper harness and run the p72(if possible)??

So now the search in on for Axles/linkage, and possible ecu right???
Thanks

dsack
08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
i think now you have a obd2 harness ..so a obd2 computer can be used .p28 is more tuneable not sure (vtecin5th) knows his stuff ,you should hit him up ,good luck buddy

RudysImports
08-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks, will keep looking to see witch way to go....

Charlee
08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
ok ok ok. wtf did you just do? lol you should have stuck with your stock single cam harness since most of this time is cheaper, and more of them. assuming its an obd1 computer, then its going to plug right in. all a gsr harness gonna do is have vtec wired only up to the shocktower connector. you still have to wire it to the computer. either way, that is just MY way and MY opinion on doing things since you were on a budget. as long as you got the harness that works and a obd1 computer then you are ok.

Charlee
08-17-2008, 10:19 PM
i think now you have a obd2 harness ..so a obd2 computer can be used .p28 is more tuneable not sure (vtecin5th) knows his stuff ,you should hit him up ,good luck buddy

ya ONLY if he got the damn cabin harness too!!:hithead:

RudysImports
08-18-2008, 06:36 AM
yeah firgured,if I need to wire for vtec to the shock tower,then to the ecu, I'd just buy the gsr harness,no I will not be running the P72,will have to get rid of tha ecu...

EM1CLONE
08-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Unless you plan on building the motor just get a p30 and be done with it

iNotion
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
b series into eg is easy just use everything from a dc 94+ teggy motor mounts shiftlink ect. keep ur wire harness and just extend a few sensors that might now reach like the o2 sensor its in the back of the ex mani. and just wire up vtec if using a p28 its the easiest way

teamsol
08-21-2008, 12:58 PM
its a dx coupe....

I was doing the exact same swap in my car until it was stolen, I was going to use a p30 ecu and a gsr harness (which are both for sale!) :P

VTECin5th
08-21-2008, 02:56 PM
The gsr harness way seems much easier... Okay I have all 3 mounts from hasport, and the rear t-bracker... I just bought a complete gsr engine harness/and p72(witch was part of the deal) on ebay(i think it was a deal) So the harness issue resolved, just will need to wire the vtec(no problem). Now for the ecu should I get rid of the p72 and get a chipped p28??? or should I get a ecu jumper harness and run the p72(if possible)??

So now the search in on for Axles/linkage, and possible ecu right???
Thanks

Yes, you will need a couple (VTEC related) wires from the shock tower to the ECU but the rest is done

No an obd2 computer cannot be used. Unless you buy a jumper, which would be stupid at this point.
Find a chipped obd1 p28 or p30.

ok ok ok. wtf did you just do? lol you should have stuck with your stock single cam harness since most of this time is cheaper, and more of them. assuming its an obd1 computer, then its going to plug right in. all a gsr harness gonna do is have vtec wired only up to the shocktower connector. you still have to wire it to the computer. either way, that is just MY way and MY opinion on doing things since you were on a budget. as long as you got the harness that works and a obd1 computer then you are ok.
What he just did was eliminate the need to find and use obd1 components. If his engine swap is from a 2000 Si, keeping the single cam harness wouldn't work at all. He'd have to find obd1 components (Alternator, distributor, and injectors) which is NOT easy. Obd1 b16 distributors cost more than the harness.

b series into eg is easy just use everything from a dc 94+ teggy motor mounts shiftlink ect. keep ur wire harness and just extend a few sensors that might now reach like the o2 sensor its in the back of the ex mani. and just wire up vtec if using a p28 its the easiest way
You're kinda right but you're not paying attention to the obd crossover. The components have different plugs between obd1 and obd2. All the 94+ integra things will work. (axles, shiftlinkage, mounts n brackets) but a 94-95 integra harness wouldn't solve the OBD issue.

I see so many people do these swaps, source obd1 injectors and alternators, then clip the leg off an obd1 ls distributor. It's half assed and usually half fabbed. Using a 96+ integra harness on an EG with an obd2 swap, is definitely the most efficient way.

cbaracing
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
nice post tony

i just didnt feel like typing it all out

so much misinformation out there
no wonder people do things half ass

RudysImports
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah thats what I thought, I did some research on it, just wanted to know for sure before I went ahead. My 98 gsr harness in in the mail already.Probably will have the axles/p28 by tomorrow, will just need to look for a linkage, and put it all together.

Thanks for ALLLL your feedback...

Charlee
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
What he just did was eliminate the need to find and use obd1 components. If his engine swap is from a 2000 Si, keeping the single cam harness wouldn't work at all. He'd have to find obd1 components (Alternator, distributor, and injectors) which is NOT easy. Obd1 b16 distributors cost more than the harness.

you are right in how much more easier it makes it. but you can use the obd2 alternator, injectors and dizzy of the b16. add obd2 clips on the harness and you are done. they all work the exact same way. a lot more work but cheaper because gsr harnesses are not as cheap as a single cam. the trickiest thing is making the alt plug. but with wiring diagrams its no biggie.