PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Boost Question

SlowLS
08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Okay, so i'm trying to get my motor(d16y7) ready for boost, so far i have a decent catback exhaust set up( OBX Test pipe and Skunk2 2 1/4 Megapower Full Exhaust). Also, I have the Skunk2 mani, OBX 65mm TB, OBX TB Spacer. Next I'm think of getting either the AEM Fuel Rail or Skunk2 Fuel Rail with 440cc RC Injectors, Skunk2 Cam and Cam Gear and NRG Engine Damper. My Question is; is there anything else besides a good tuning, that i should get before i boost it? I want to boost about 5lbs, since its my daily driver and i dont want to run into problems that more boost would give me. I've been hearing multiple suggestions, like "oh, you can boost 10lbs on a stock d series and be fine", then i heard " I wouldn't boost more then 8lbs with stock internals". Which is it?

Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

bumpstick
08-27-2008, 12:02 PM
if it was my y7 i would pull it apart and replace the water pump, head gasket, and timing belt, and bolt it back up with new head studs, at a minimum. you can run 5 lbs on a stock motor all day but once you boost you're going to want to turn it up past 5 lbs. if you can't afford to fully build it right now then at least invest in the things that commonly cause problems. it's cheap insurance now and not too hard to replace. besides, you're probably due for a timing belt anyway and since you're in there the head gasket and water pump are easy to get at.

SlowLS
08-27-2008, 12:24 PM
if it was my y7 i would pull it apart and replace the water pump, head gasket, and timing belt, and bolt it back up with new head studs, at a minimum. you can run 5 lbs on a stock motor all day but once you boost you're going to want to turn it up past 5 lbs. if you can't afford to fully build it right now then at least invest in the things that commonly cause problems. it's cheap insurance now and not too hard to replace. besides, you're probably due for a timing belt anyway and since you're in there the head gasket and water pump are easy to get at.

good info, i have never changed a timing belt, waterpump or head gasket before. Is it hard? should i get a book

AZ_CIVIC
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You should pay someone who knows how.

bumpstick
08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
it's not "hard," but if you've never done one then seek assistance or pay somebody else. you can get a free version of the helms manual somewhere on the web but all the books in the world don't make up for hands on experience. the last y7's were built ~8 years ago, so even if yours is a late model i'm guessing you have at least 90k on the clock and the t belt should be done soon whether you boost or not. if you're going to go through the trouble of replacing it then it's just cheaper (labor wise) to do the other stuff at the same time, since the motor is pretty much taken apart.

rudsone
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
use arp headbolts to hold the head down.

take the car to boostflow:thumbsup:

hondugh
08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
if i were u i would get some vitaras and cheap beefy rods, arp head studs, and new oil pump, timing belt, water pump, clutch and get a good tune then u would be good for atleast 10lbs all day and boost it up to 16 or so when u go to the track

SlowLS
08-27-2008, 03:54 PM
so........i guess the question is, who wants to help me out and do all this to my car?

hondugh
08-27-2008, 04:11 PM
so........i guess the question is, who wants to help me out and do all this to my car?
ill do it 4 a price :) let me kno what u need done and i will do it for pretty cheap

efcivic91
08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
and a 2 1/4 exhaust i would probably upgrade when you get the turbo on.. but with turbo off you need some restriction on you motor.. so plan on buying an exhaust after you make the swap

eg4door
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
i RaN 10 On My Ls TuRbO An It WaS fInE!!!

efcivic91
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
thats an ls though dseries has weaker rods

2JZCRX
08-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd just throw a leaf blower on that bitch and let it eat! OBX that, bitch!

FranktheTank
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
use arp headbolts to hold the head down.

take the car to boostflow:thumbsup:

X2!
Good guys and Service!
My Brother just got his Ej8 back from them.
Did a B16 swap and its great!:thumbsup:

FranktheTank
08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
thats an ls though dseries has weaker rods

Correct.
The weakest part of a D series motor is it's rods.

But the magic number on a boost motor with stock internals is 220 hp.

Depending on the condition of your motor ( Compression, Leak down )
You can safely have it on 8 lbs with a little t3/t4 turbo.
Don't forget to also consider the turbo size with the amount of boost.

SlowLS
08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
and a 2 1/4 exhaust i would probably upgrade when you get the turbo on.. but with turbo off you need some restriction on you motor.. so plan on buying an exhaust after you make the swap

i already have a 2 1/4 exhaust. r u saying to get something bigger?

rudsone
08-27-2008, 09:40 PM
yup, get a 3" or something close to it.

talk to the guys at boostflow.

rc, lumpy, and the other pinguins, they have great knowledge.

SlowLS
08-28-2008, 08:01 AM
yup, get a 3" or something close to it.

talk to the guys at boostflow.

rc, lumpy, and the other pinguins, they have great knowledge.

how long can i go with just using my 2 1/4" exhaust?

die in a dick fire noob
08-28-2008, 08:29 AM
you could run it period but in order to make more power and let the turbo breathe you will need a larger diameter pipe. most people run a 3" and a lot do 2.5" but 2 1/4" will do but it will not make nearly the power it could. once you upgrade the power goes up a lot.

i would say run the 2 1/4 til you want more.

definitely want to build the d though, they are good til about 8lbs stock but i would still suggest the minor things, but if it were me i would do a complete rebuild. but i'm not the type who wants to take the motor apart every weekend to figure out what i broke this time ya know?

SlowLS
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
you could run it period but in order to make more power and let the turbo breathe you will need a larger diameter pipe. most people run a 3" and a lot do 2.5" but 2 1/4" will do but it will not make nearly the power it could. once you upgrade the power goes up a lot.

i would say run the 2 1/4 til you want more.

definitely want to build the d though, they are good til about 8lbs stock but i would still suggest the minor things, but if it were me i would do a complete rebuild. but i'm not the type who wants to take the motor apart every weekend to figure out what i broke this time ya know?

Wurd! I think im just gonna look for a Y8 motor and build it from the ground up.

FranktheTank
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Wurd! I think im just gonna look for a Y8 motor and build it from the ground up.

Why Build a D?
Go B!:grin:

SlowLS
08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Why Build a D?
Go B!:grin:

D's are a lot more fun; IMO. I dont know what it is, they're just fun. Cheap and Easy to work on, parts aren't rare and are easy to find and if i blow up my deries i can find another for about 4 to 5 hundred bucks, throw that bitch in and boom, back on the road. I guess, its just more out of convienence.

BADCHKN
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Same with b-series what's expensive? B-series vtec head 3-350

Ls bottomend - $100-150

FranktheTank
08-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Same with b-series what's expensive? B-series vtec head 3-350

Ls bottomend - $100-150

Exactly.
B series isn't much more.
and way more potential!:grin:

rOkaZ
09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
go B16 at least dude! .. i am goin B soon.. :)

FranktheTank
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
go B16 at least dude! .. i am goin B soon.. :)

Fo sho!

SlowLS
09-05-2008, 08:02 AM
im gonna boost my d series for now on 5lbs and start building a b series from the block up.

johnb20
09-05-2008, 08:24 AM
all that work and money to run 14 at that track .unless u got alot of $ to build a badass sohc dont do it!! b series all the way

FranktheTank
09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
im gonna boost my d series for now on 5lbs and start building a b series from the block up.

It's all what you want.
It is truely your Decision.
But It sounds like a plan!
Get low on the Build Bro!
:grin:

crx2quik4u
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
i bought an AEM fuel rail off ebay for my b series turbo project, and it didn't fit.....luckily I have a single cam intake manifold laying around in my garage.....and it fit....so if you want it for a good price then pm me.
~chris