PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting Window Problems

Sol2Sqeez
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Car: 1997 Honda Civic LX 4 Door

Problem: Power windows suddenly stop rolling up or down

Description:

Roughtly about 2 weeks ago my power windows suddenly stopped working, they wont work on the driver master switch nor each individual switch. my moon roof is still fully operationa but im thinking the wiring is seprate from the other windows. my door locks are also still operational

Troubleshooting:

Ive already check and replaced all my fuses in the in the cabin. i also bought another used master switch from a 97 4dr civic and still didnt work. since i was busy i decided to take it to a local honda dealer and they troubleshot it. there result was i MAY have a bad master switch, but for some reason im not buying it since i replaced it already but i might be wrong. the receptionist told me the tech was able to get the windows to roll up and down manually (direct power to each window) but i wasnt able to talk to the tech for further information

Request:

I wondering if anyone that has had this similar problem or shed some light on the problem. if anyone has a troubleshooting technic or can lead me in the right path i would greatly appreciate it

EJ6-4DR
09-02-2008, 04:06 PM
some times that happens when it to hot out side my moms use to do it all the time wouldnt work for a couple days then it would work her wiring had gone bad an she had to replace the switch

SiR Mikey
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
some times that happens when it to hot out side my moms use to do it all the time wouldnt work for a couple days then it would work her wiring had gone bad an she had to replace the switch

Your regulator is bad

Eks are notorious for this

2fnfast
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
i have one of mine hook up to the battary,

Sol2Sqeez
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM

well im not sure the heat would be a factor or not since i currently live in delaware and is not as nearly as hot as AZ. I could buy another master switch but before i buy another one i would like to know if its the master switch or something else

SiR Mikey
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Your regulator is bad

Eks are notorious for this

:type:

Slow_HX
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
mostly likely the window regulator needs to be replaced, I had this problem but only on my passenger door

ICD
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
mikey maybe the winner.and this just happened to my amigos 94 coupe

Sol2Sqeez
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
mostly likely the window regulator needs to be replaced, I had this problem but only on my passenger door

well im assuming that each window has a regulator (i have a 4dr) and its kinda hard to believe that all the window regulators went bad at the same time. they worked fine one day and the next they just didnt, it wasnt the scenario where the windows progressively began to roll down slowly and came to a halt and just didnt work, but then again i dont know 4dr civics. im more of a DC2 guy

Slow_HX
09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
well im assuming that each window has a regulator (i have a 4dr) and its kinda hard to believe that all the window regulators went bad at the same time. they worked fine one day and the next they just didnt, it wasnt the scenario where the windows progressively began to roll down slowly and came to a halt and just didnt work, but then again i dont know 4dr civics. im more of a DC2 guy

if the windows don't move at all its the window regulator that went bad but that scenario is unlikely, you might have to look elsewhere

Sol2Sqeez
09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
if the windows don't move at all its the window regulator that went bad but that scenario is unlikely, you might have to look elsewhere

they dont move at all, not when i use the master switch on the driver door nor each individual one on the door. really makes it hard at the drive thru!!

Sol2Sqeez
09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
so im getting that everyone that posted on here is saying all my 4 regulators are bad? i just want to confrim that. also im not a honda expert nor do i pretend to be but just like i stated above, the tech at honda was able to roll the windows up and down manually. not to mention that all 4 windows went bad at the same time as appose to just one window. wouldnt that eliminate the window regulator being bad?

Slow_HX
09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
so im getting that everyone that posted on here is saying all my 4 regulators are bad? i just want to confrim that. also im not a honda expert nor do i pretend to be but just like i stated above, the tech at honda was able to roll the windows up and down manually. not to mention that all 4 windows went bad at the same time as appose to just one window. wouldnt that eliminate the window regulator being bad?

what did he say was the problem?

q&s
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
you got a short somewhere .I think the all the windows get there power from the master switch Iwould start at the master switch wire harness

Rufus
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Good thing you don't have Windows ME. That shit was fucked.

Sol2Sqeez
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
what did he say was the problem?

I was told by the receptionist at honda that the tech said i MAY need a new master switch. then she went on about it would be labor+ parts+ time+ coffee break+ laugh at the dumbass that just got ripped off+ optinal lube for ass fucking = to $400+(all to replace a master window switch), then i asked if that wasnt the problem and the tech was wrong what would happen? her reply was "we would have to do additional troubleshooting and that would cost.....blah blah blah!" by that time i was done with them so i just left. the dealership never gave me a straight answer and just suggested on what MAY be causing the problem.

ive already bought a used master switch from a 97 4dr honda civic prior to bringing it to the dealership and still didnt work, but now im wondering if that switch was bad also since i cant seem to find the cause of the problem.

Slow_HX
09-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I was told by the receptionist at honda that the tech said i MAY need a new master switch. then she went on about it would be labor+ parts+ time+ coffee break+ laugh at the dumbass that just got ripped off+ optinal lube for ass fucking = to $400+(all to replace a master window switch), then i asked if that wasnt the problem and the tech was wrong what would happen? her reply was "we would have to do additional troubleshooting and that would cost.....blah blah blah!" by that time i was done with them so i just left. the dealership never gave me a straight answer and just suggested on what MAY be causing the problem.

ive already bought a used master switch from a 97 4dr honda civic prior to bringing it to the dealership and still didnt work, but now im wondering if that switch was bad also since i cant seem to find the cause of the problem.

buy the new switch and see if that works

street dreams
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
i dont know much about the ek's fuse box but is there a fuse for the power windows under the dash

RHD Ek
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Dude, I am sorry to see how bad people are at diag, and the crap they are telling you. There is no way its a bad regulator, you have 4 of them, if you've swapped out the master switch it's not it either. What ever is wrong is common to all 4 doors; like a bad master switch or something of that nature. Now sense you've swapped it out already lets move on to something else... double and triple check your fuses. find the fuse for you windows and make sure its good. Then if it is my suggestion would be to check the wiring in the drivers door. You are always opening and closing the door which eventually fatigues the wires. Because your car is older it is possible that a wire broke. So before you go tear the door apart. try using the window while your opening the door and with it opened, and closed then with the door opened grab the harness in the door jam and wiggle it while trying to operate the window. if the window trys to work then you know thats where the problem is. remeber what ever the problem is it is ONE THING that affects all 4 doors, NOT A DAM REGULATOR!