PDA

View Full Version : Paint Gun and Air Pressure

Dead Bird
10-03-2008, 12:17 AM
so i'm only asking this because my roomate asked me to.

he has a 03' DC5 type S and needs a bit of paintwork.
he wants to buy a gun himself and do it.

i have an air compressor, however, it's a smaller tank than what probably should be used based on my very small knowledge of paint guys.
but my questions are what decent/inexpensive paint guns do you recommend, forgive the oxymoron, but it fits the situation, and how much consistant air pressure is usually recommended? my thoughts were that it depended on the gun, but what is a rough ball park, because my air compressor is old and i know its limits.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Jason.AZ1
10-03-2008, 12:20 AM
why doesnt chad go to earlshieb(sp) they paint match his fender for like 100 bucks tops

Dead Bird
10-03-2008, 12:58 AM
dunno.

he just asked me to ask. he has a dc5 itr spoiler he wants to paint too. and i think it's cuz he already has the paint...

*inFamous*
10-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Look at the guns specs and paint specs.

I personally use a gun that uses 38psi (roughly) of pressure to get the right spray pattern and atomization.

Read up on how to adjust a gun, use google, its your friend.

Dead Bird
10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
but azht is my BEST FRIEND that gets jealous when i use google...

if its only around 38 thats no problem. the way he was talking he asked if my compressor could hold a steady 180. i was LIKE NIGGA!!!! WTF????

*inFamous*
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Ur compressor will need to have a large capacity or the psi will jump when it shuts on and off... hence I use a seperate regulator to ensure this doesn't happen.

Dead Bird
10-03-2008, 01:51 AM
no once it drops to a certain amount(unsure the actual PSI), it doesnt shut off and on until it fills.

so if he's spraying and slowly losing pressure, and it can rebuild pressure just as fast or faster than he isusing it, and it still has enough to power the gun, it would be fine.

that amount is what i should find out.

dc5 types
10-06-2008, 01:21 AM
why doesnt chad go to earlshieb(sp) they paint match his fender for like 100 bucks tops

why didn't you tell me this?? you've seen the damage on my car

j/k... but if you have their information, pass it my way

dc5 types
10-06-2008, 01:23 AM
and thx for posting for me mickey...looks like i'll just have someone else do the work, especially if i can get it done that cheap. materials alone would cost me 100-200...

dpd069
10-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Look at the CFM the gun requires. Look at the CFM the compressor produces.

Is the CFM the gun requires > CFM the compressor produces? If so, not good - you will run out of air.

A basic rule of painting cars is that if you are going to paint multiple times you can learn to do it cheaper than you can hire a body shop. If you are just going to do it once, you will spend much more than taking it to a body shop.

If you just need to paint a bumper or a door with a factory pack color where it is easy to get a good match, like wihite or black, you might get away with a cheap Harbor Freight gun and your compressor.

From your questions, I'd recommend you take it to a body shop

trace01m
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
^^Beat me to it! The CFM is goint to be important as well as the pressure. I use a separate regulator, as well, and if you use a regular compressor you will likely need a filter as well.

An I bought my gun at Harbor Freight for like $16, because I don't use it much. When I need to start a new project, I just buy a new one if it sprays a little funny, but mine usually last around a year.

S2kkk89
10-22-2008, 12:42 AM
what about me mickey, i want a paint gun