PDA

View Full Version : nasa noob

KevinBoosted
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
ok heres my deal ppl. yesterday was my 2nd nasa event attendance. im gonna say this has been all its taken to get me out on the track. my buddy was racing in de3 so i got a ride with him...it was fun. so im at a understanding i have to start de1, then de2, etc. now i have a gsx eclipse that i can use, but since it has a 30r on it, i dont think it would be a good spool for the track until the straights but wouldnt mind using it de1, de2. so ive been thinking of building a honda hatch. but ive never owned a honda before and have my experience in awd turbos, and have no idea where to start. ive read up and think i want to do a b18c, but have no idea about anything else. as a nasa rookie anyone got any recommendations/ help for me.

EG6-DC2
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
The easiest way to learn things is to keep the car mild, learn from that, then adjust as needed. A stock car with street tires is the best way to start to learn how to be smooth and consistant. Don't build an out of the box race car, it will only make the learning curve that much bigger.

EG6-DC2
10-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of tracking.

KevinBoosted
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
lol thank you. i hear ya on the learning curve. i just dont want to get used to tracking the awd turbo gsx and then go to a fwd n/a civic

SlowCivicHmm
10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
the DE program is designed to educate driver not based on the car....

You aren't competing at all, yes a few fun lil battles between friends but you aren't aganst the clock, if you can't pass the car infront of you no biggie, or if the car infront of you won't let you pass, hot pit and then go back out in a diff part of the feild........

KEY is learning track edicate....when to lift to allow a clean/safe pass, how to drive in traffic, use your mirrors, find brake points, turn in's etc etc, learn the line.....

See i haven't mentioned the car.....shit I might take a rental car out soon...lol, and I'll still be in DE2 cuz of my skill level not the cars power/speed....

My advice is join DE1 and get your license outta the way, DE1 gets 4 sessions w/instructor...if you learn enough the 1st day they'll bump you to DE2 next event. That does not mean you are set free, for your first 2-3 DE2 events you should ask for an instructor either way.....then STAY in DE2 till they kick you out....or when you start passing the field so easily/safely and or start lapping the field, not when they hold you back and you can't get clean laps.....driving in traffic is good. it gives you confidence in your driving....honestly it is all driver mentality not the car....Tage drove Simon's car this weekend and Tage being confident in his skill and feeling the car went flat out in areas simon does not....its all learning, which can't be rushed...it comes w/time.....SEAT TIME is crucial!!

I did DE1 03-04...then straight to DE2 same weekend after a driver check.....I then took a break and started up in Dec07 done multiple events yet.......STILL DE2......i've learned alot and am very comfy in traffic.....almost ready for DE3 but I might hang back a lil bit til I get the boot....DE2 is so different every event you have to keep your eyes open to changes and diff drivers you learn to adapt when needed.....once in De3...its mostly usuals and knowing who you are driving w/ will help you once or if you decide to go to race group or TT...

<---my 2 cents while at work.....

ILIKETODRIVE
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Tage drove Simon's car this weekend and Tage being confident in his skill and feeling the car went flat out in areas simon does not....its all learning, which can't be rushed...it comes w/time.....SEAT TIME is crucial!!

I then proceeded to almost duplicate what Tage did because I was already comfortable with the car but unsure as to what it's limit was.

After taking it out, he told me it was good for probably a high 1:16...I did a 1:17.2 and a 1:17.1 during Time Attack. It was a little off from what he said but I had no 2nd gear for coming out of turn 9 and I still did a tiny bit of braking before turn 1, whereas Tage barely lifted before getting right back on the gas for turn 1. Before Tage drove it, I was going around 90 into turn 1. He took it at about 105. In Time Attack, I took it at around 100. Since I knew his skill level versus how the car was setup and my skill level, I knew I could almost duplicate how he took it the next chance I had. After 1, he showed and told me a great tip as well, which I also did and I could tell how much extra speed I carried through turn 2 because of it.

Trust me, it is ALL seat time. If you're not comfortable on track and with your car, you'll never be able to learn and improve. Without seat time, I wouldn't be able to pick up little things that someone with more skill could show me with my car.

KevinBoosted
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
i agree. ill give the eclipse a shot next month then at pir. but i really dont wanna be tracking my dd with a 2x too big turbo and 4x too small brakes for the track. i deff want to get some seat time

topramn
10-06-2008, 09:43 PM
ok heres my deal ppl. yesterday was my 2nd nasa event attendance. im gonna say this has been all its taken to get me out on the track. my buddy was racing in de3 so i got a ride with him...it was fun. so im at a understanding i have to start de1, then de2, etc. now i have a gsx eclipse that i can use, but since it has a 30r on it, i dont think it would be a good spool for the track until the straights but wouldnt mind using it de1, de2. so ive been thinking of building a honda hatch. but ive never owned a honda before and have my experience in awd turbos, and have no idea where to start. ive read up and think i want to do a b18c, but have no idea about anything else. as a nasa rookie anyone got any recommendations/ help for me.

first thing to do is stay in the dsm.. do not make any sudden purchases of a new car unless you are just totally uncomfortable driving your car daily and at the track.. awd is definitely not a bad route to take.. it may just require some fine tuning of your turbo and its abilities or possibly a bit smaller turbo.. for any DSM questions or suggestions, talk to tony at ums.. he has ran several setups on his evo and although the gsx and evo are different cars, they do have their similarities..

although the honda hatch is fairly cheap to pick up, doing motor swaps and such get costly and could end up costing more than a simple turbo change.. the b18c alone if bought from a legit source will run you around 2500 or more and that doesnt include the installation..

i agree. ill give the eclipse a shot next month then at pir. but i really dont wanna be tracking my dd with a 2x too big turbo and 4x too small brakes for the track. i deff want to get some seat time

as for the brakes.. upgraded pads is the first step to better braking.. i know of the braking issues that the eclipses have and can honestly say that you will not drive the car past the limits of the brakes in your first few outtings..

if you are 100 percent sure you want a hatch, i have an EF shell just waiting to be built as a track car that i am unfortunately letting go due to my pursuit of bigger opportunities as a NASA official.. if you or anyone else would like more info on this EF shell, contact me via PM.

KevinBoosted
10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
^ id love to stay in an awd car for nasa but my eclipse is a true street car...nothing more, nothing less. i would do a smaller turbo for the track such as a 20g but i just put the 30r on and took me the last year to build up the way i want it. ive talked to tony from ums a bunch of times, and im good friends with christoph and kevin from ums. im a pretty frequent member of the awd boards and have experience in stis, and evos. i am also a former worker of pruven performance in milford, ct before i joined the military and moved to az. awd is my specialty but again i would rather build a specific track car for fun and not destroy my dd street beauty. as for brakes i already have upgraded pads on the dsm...still isnt helping lol
im gonna use the gsx for a lil while to get me started but i will be in pursuit of a hatch and a b18c in the future. ill be starting de1 the november event :)
i appreciate all the advice guys. im really excited to get out on the track and start doing what ive hoped for a long time. thanks

Lilrob
10-06-2008, 11:39 PM
ive too recently been thinking about this but for 2 things dont know anthing/rules about this and alot of cash.

KevinBoosted
10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
^ i was the same way not too long ago. go to a nasa event meet some friends. get a ride along or 2 and hang out at the drivers meetings to hear whats going on, best way to learn so far

SlowCivicHmm
10-07-2008, 03:27 AM
ive too recently been thinking about this but for 2 things dont know anthing/rules about this and alot of cash.

The rules are simple...

What you need:

A driver thats willing to learn & take instruction
A car that is mechanically sound not a race car

Rules

Be @ tech by 7am atleast
Driver Meeting @ 730a
Keep an eye on your schedule its your responsibility
DRIVE @ 60% your 1st time out
Slowly move up when confidence builds 60%->75% ->80% by end of day
HAVE SAFE FUN!!

The only rules for the car set up is RACE GROUP!!! No one here is there yet....not even the NASA regulars....

JUST GO HANG OUT AT A FEW EVENTS!!

KevinBoosted
10-07-2008, 03:40 AM
^ will do. did they set a date for the november pir event yet? i remember someone saying it was only gonna be 1 day of the wknd

SlowCivicHmm
10-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Turkey Day weekend bro...

topramn
10-07-2008, 04:48 AM
currently, the next event is planned for thanksgiving weekend and will be a 3 day event..

KevinBoosted
10-07-2008, 05:42 AM
nice 3 day event ftw, especially on turkey wknd. ill bring the fryer and blow torch to the track for dinner :)

topramn
10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
nice 3 day event ftw, especially on turkey wknd. ill bring the fryer and blow torch to the track for dinner :)

3 day weekends doesnt mean DE gets 3 days.. however, you can come out and hang if you would like.. here is the preliminary list of groups for that weekend..

friday.. test and tune for NASA TT and Race groups, instructors school, comp license school

saturday.. All HPDE groups, NASA TT, NASA Race Groups, and possible guest groups

sunday.. All HPDE groups, NASA TT, NASA Race Groups, Trial By Fire Drift, and possible guest groups

KevinBoosted
10-07-2008, 06:55 AM
ill already be there for the trial by fire drift since i work for them lol do i need to get a comp liscense before i can start de1?

topramn
10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
comp license is for race group only.

BlueTeg
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
^ id love to stay in an awd car for nasa but my eclipse is a true street car...nothing more, nothing less.

That's all you need for your first day (or two). Come out and make sure you like it before you start investing money into turbos, pads, suspension etc. Just about any car built after 1990 is completely suitable for track driving in 100% stock form.

To anyone considering coming out but worried they don't have the right equipment: DON'T SWEAT IT!
.....The car's capabilities will exceed your driving abilities the first day. Don't flatter yourself, the car will be capable of going much faster than you can drive it. :)

KevinBoosted
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
^ ive already began work on my gsx, went from stock turbo to 30r and all around mods. i just hope im not laggin like a bastard coming out of the turns. ill deff spool up quick and hold a good line from the nascar 3 into 1 but around the back its gonna be difficult...oh well we shall see and ill see you guys on the track. if you guys find a good 92^ hatchback shell (roller) for a good price let me know

topramn
10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
^ ive already began work on my gsx, went from stock turbo to 30r and all around mods. i just hope im not laggin like a bastard coming out of the turns. ill deff spool up quick and hold a good line from the nascar 3 into 1 but around the back its gonna be difficult...oh well we shall see and ill see you guys on the track. if you guys find a good 92^ hatchback shell (roller) for a good price let me know

how bout an 89?

KevinBoosted
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
^ just 92^. im not really a fan of the ef style

topramn
10-08-2008, 08:13 PM
meh... its a track car.. shouldnt matter the body style.. good luck with your search tho.. hope to see you out there some day..

KevinBoosted
10-09-2008, 01:19 AM
^ ill be out on the track at pir next month de1 :)

KrenzyRyan
10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
They have complimentary helmets correct?

Tage
10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I've never seen "loaners" at a NASA event but I could be wrong. I don't recall the helmet rule for DE1 but I've got an old motorcycle one you can borrow. I bought it new sometime around 1999 or 2000 when I first started autoxing. It's got the Snell rating and I believe it's new enough to not be expired for DE standards.

topramn
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
we do have loaners if you absolutely cannot buy your own helmet.

BlueTeg
10-17-2008, 08:26 AM
They have complimentary helmets correct?

They have plenty of loaners available. Open face, close face, take your pick. They're actually pretty nice too (considering they're free of charge to use).

KrenzyRyan
10-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Thought so :)