PDA

View Full Version : Want to Auto-X?

JonnyB
10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Ok. So i finally have a car thats worth taking to the track. I have no clue where to go or what to do to start the process. can anyone help me out? thanks.

fmx_dbc
10-07-2008, 07:22 AM
from the title I thought this would contain information about getting into autocross... Incorrect punctuation is confusing

JonnyB
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
oops. just woke up?.. lol

topramn
10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
track days > auto-x

EG6-DC2
10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
track days > auto-x

^^ True story!

Phantomeg
10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Let's go...Hopefully they'll let us run this time and not change the schedule at the last minute!!!

topramn
10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Let's go...Hopefully they'll let us run this time and not change the schedule at the last minute!!!

Another reason why...

track days > auto-x

We dont kick you off the schedule after you already showed up.. :hi:

fmx_dbc
10-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I like your avatar noodles!

topramn
10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I like your avatar noodles!

like? i love her.. thats sophia lin.. she will probably be a DJ at HIN in a couple weeks.. i cant wait to visit with her again.. last time i talked to her was back in march when she was still a blonde..

fmx_dbc
10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
like? i love her.. thats sophia lin.. she will probably be a DJ at HIN in a couple weeks.. i cant wait to visit with her again.. last time i talked to her was back in march when she was still a blonde..

ok so I understated... :inlove:

topramn
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
ok so I understated... :inlove:

http://www.myspace.com/djhustlelin

go there.. that should give you a better idea..

BlueTeg
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok. So i finally have a car thats worth taking to the track. I have no clue where to go or what to do to start the process. can anyone help me out? thanks.

Schedule:
http://www.azsolo.com/schedule2008.html

Still have questions? Post here:
http://www.azsolo.com/forums/

Or here on azht and we'll try and answer them for you.

Deviousjet
10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
When does the next season start? I want to start from the beginning of the season to gain some points.

BlueTeg
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you ever autocrossed before?

If not, then don't worry about waiting till the next season starts to get points. Most of the guys out there are really good, you won't be able to go out there your first season and finish anywhere even close to the top half of the competitors if you've never autocrossed before.

JonnyB
10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
i do race. just never done it legaly... so i thought i would give it a try. i have ran on tracks befor and ALOT of drag racing. but doing it ilegal loses the respect level ya know? and also. how do i know what class im in? ive posted in there forum below but no one could give me a answer.. lol.

93 Del Sol-
coilovers, springs, pulled a/c, pulled power steering, intake, lightweight flywheel, exhaust system (headers all the way back), high flow cat, quick release steering wheel.

Thanks

dantana
10-09-2008, 09:09 AM
how do i know what class im in? ive posted in there forum below but no one could give me a answer.. lol.

93 Del Sol-
coilovers, springs, pulled a/c, pulled power steering, intake, lightweight flywheel, exhaust system (headers all the way back), high flow cat, quick release steering wheel.

Thanks

solo classing St-1
solid DE-1 classing with nasa/cra

JonnyB
10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
ok thanks. see if wasnt that hard. :)

btw. anyone know of a cheap place for a battery tiedown. only thing left to pass inspections... lol.

SlowCivicHmm
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
autozone...

EG6-DC2
10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
ok thanks. see if wasnt that hard. :)

btw. anyone know of a cheap place for a battery tiedown. only thing left to pass inspections... lol.

You drive around without having your battery tied down? Doesn't it just flop around?

cspcrx
10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
There is an event on the 12th. Thats this weekend. Solo is very different then road racing or drag racing. In solo your trying to get every turn perfect and things are happening much quicker. To me, solo is like the 50 yard dash. Doesnt last long but your out of breath when you finish. Solo is the same way very intense and short. Its a lot less expensive and wear is a lot lower then road racing (I do both). Most common mistake made in solo is over driving the car. People are very friendly and they offer a novice course walk before they start the event. This is a good time to get the feel for how to run the course from a vet. driver. Hope to see you out there. I will in my Red 86 CRX say hi and if you have questions dont hesitate to ask.

fmx_dbc
10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
wanna share setup tips? Hahaha

dantana
10-09-2008, 01:25 PM
craig, his 86 is a totally different car, :but: unless he swapped out his solid rear axle for IRS

fmx_dbc
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I like to be like a fine leather bound book filled with a wealth of information and shared knowledge...

cspcrx
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Nope still has solid rear axle. I like a loose car for autocross. So I soften the front suspension and stiffen the rear. I have Tokico illuminas so when I adjust them it affects spring rate since they are only single adjustable. I run fronts on 2 and rears on 4. For the track I run 4 front and rear. Also keeping the speed through the turns and keeping them tight. Straights are so short that keeping your speed up in the turns is critical. Thats why I like a loose car. Driving out of a little oversteer is easy in a FWD. Also makes you a bit quicker. Shortest line is usually the quickest. They typically make the courses narrow which means its tough to find a "honda line" through the turns. SO, shortest distance is usally the quickest way. Also have to watch for dirt buildup if you run in latter groups as it tends to build up more and more as the day goes on. This weekend im in the last group of the day. So my line will be heavily dictaded by where everyone else has run. Wrap that in leather. :clapper:

fmx_dbc
10-09-2008, 04:32 PM
thanks. very good, helpful information right thurrr!

BlueTeg
10-10-2008, 07:57 AM
i do race. just never done it legaly... so i thought i would give it a try.

i have ran on tracks befor and ALOT of drag racing.

Then you've never raced. Hauling ass down (or up) a mountain, or the freeway, or whereever is not "racing". LOL

Drag racing shares zero similarities with autoX or RR.

With that being said.....

If not, then don't worry about waiting till the next season starts to get points. Most of the guys out there are really good, you won't be able to go out there your first season and finish anywhere even close to the top half of the competitors if you've never autocrossed before.

BlueTeg
10-10-2008, 08:01 AM
how do i know what class im in? ive posted in there forum below but no one could give me a answer.. lol.

93 Del Sol-

Thanks

There is an excel spreadsheet that tells you all the mods you can do for a particular class. Its on the azsolo.com link I gave you earlier. Look again and you'll be able to class your car in a matter of minutes.

Tage
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
You have a "Street Prepared" vehicle for your class. I don't recall if the Del Sol is "D Street Prepared" (DSP) or CSP. Dan didn't give you a class, he gave you a "Category". If this is your first autox I wouldn't do "Street Tire 1" (ST1). There's lots of local hot shoes in that class. You'll have a much better chance of performing well running in the Novice category instead. In this Category you'll run with other Noobs or people that have ran for less than a year but never won a trophy.

Class = DSP <-- I'm pretty sure this is the class vs "CSP", they will correct the class onsite if I'm wrong though
Category = NV1

Oh and this weekends autox will be the 2nd event out of a 4 event season. If you want a chance to qualify for a trophy, you need to attend at least 3 out of the 4 events. Whether you can qualfy or not, I'd recommend running as many events as you can (so you can kick all the novices butts in the next full season).

Like Gabe mentioned too, autox takes a unique skill that can't only be learned through autox seat time. Street / drag racing will provide little to no benefit when it comes to autox.

SlowCivicHmm
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Tage has spoken!!!

berny2435
10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
There is a SCCA AutoX this Sunday at PIR. I will be there with my All stock 08 Civic Si. I expect to get mauled in GS ST2 from what I've been told.

fmx_dbc
10-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Tage Almighty!

cspcrx
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Its actually this Sunday at FIR not PIR.
Ill be there. All alone in SM2 I am sure. LOL

SlowCivicHmm
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I heard there is also a SCCA Track event which might be at PIR this weekend....not sure...

Tage mentioned it but was not too sure...

Kinetic
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I heard there is also a SCCA Track event which might be at PIR this weekend....not sure...

Tage mentioned it but was not too sure...

its firebird not PIR

SlowCivicHmm
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
FIR?? and AutoX at the same weekend...FUN...I might have to roll by and spectate then..

Tage
10-10-2008, 08:17 PM
For clarification:

SCCA PDX (<-- like HPDE) and Club Trials (<-- like NASA Time Trials) on FIR Main.

The SCCA Autox is on the skidpad at FIR like usual. They don't autox at PIR anymore.

I was going to try to do BOTH events but lack of a babysitter will ground me this weekend. Oh well...

berny2435
10-11-2008, 06:37 AM
ooops, yeah I said PIR, I meant FIR.

Seeya there with my no camber havin, OEM tire rollin, 45deg yaw slingin, understeer monster of an all stock 08 Civic Si.

I'll be in a Gallaxy Grey cpe.

Ryan

JonnyB
10-11-2008, 09:16 AM
well. its great to say im broke so i cant make it. but i did favorites the events list and will show for some later events. I think im going to fail at this myserably... but it looks like to much fun. anyway... i wouldnt even know where to go or what to do when i got there...lol. <- NEWB

cspcrx
10-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Great day at FIR. Course was very fast. I was bouncing off the revlimiter on a couple of the straights. Turns were nice and gave plenty of room for a smooth line and the ability to carry speed. I managed to get a 36.955 in my four runs and then during Time Only I was able to get it down to a 36.284. This made me the second fastest Honda at the event, S2000 ran a 36.268. I need to get my camber plates back on so I can put the CRX back on top.

berny2435
10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
yeah, it was a fun event. For GS, I got 2nd place. 1st time out with the all stock 08 civic Si went pretty good. I think I hit one cone all day. The events out here are ran much better than the ones I am use to back in Iowa.

I registered for STX on accident but I think if I would have had better tires than stock, I would have faired okay there. My car is properly in GS ST2 as is OEM.

I don't think we spoke cspcrx. Maybe next time!

cspcrx
10-13-2008, 07:40 PM
i dont believe we did. I am hard to miss in me red 86 crx with the sounds of vtec. that is usually what gets peoples attention. lol

berny2435
10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
oh I saw you all right. I didn't miss the lil red screamer. We just never chatted. I had a few friends from work with me. The Hondai Sonata (made him come out) and Travis Berry in his 05 blue Sti with silver BBS's.

I'm going to try and wedge 245s on the Si before the next event. This guy is hoping camber bolts will give me some front camber as well. (haven't decided on shocks yet so I'll need camber bolts to hold me over.. .) A RSB might be in the mix as well.