PDA

View Full Version : D-Series Setup...(in progress)

super_civic
10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
D16Y8 Vtec Head/I.M.
Skunk2 Valve Springs
Skunk2 Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
Skunk2 Std Comp Valves
Skunk2 Adj Cam Gear
Crower Stage2 Turbo Camshaft
ARP Headstuds
Decent Head cleaning (No P&P or valve jobs/milling)

D16Y7 Block
75.5 Viatara Pistons
Eagle I-Beam Rods
OEM Gaskets
OEM Timing Belt

D16Y7 Transmission or should I swap the Y8 tranny?

Walbro 255 Fuel pump
RC550 Injectors

What Turbocharger should I go with with? T25? GT28r? 16g? T3-T04e? T3/T4?
I have no clue what turbo I should go with...I just dont want terrible lag!
- FMIC
- Intercooler Piping
- Down Pipe
- Dump Tube
- Tial 38mm Wastegage
- Ramhorn A/C Compatible
- GReddy Type S BOV

Open to opinions please!

TUNING on AEM? Or Chrome? Or Hondata? or Neptune? at Locash...

Anything else I should do or something I'm missing?
All feedback is appreciated.

rudsone
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah, get pistons that are actually forged.

Agent Smith
10-16-2008, 08:13 AM
agreed on forged pistons.

what are your goals for this car/motor? what numbers do you want to see & how will the car be used?

TurboElements
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Go with a Hondata S300, For the Turbo I would go with a GT2860RS it is a really responsive turbo without alot of lag, if you want something that is going to come in around 4000 rpm I would do a GT3076R, which is going to give you bigger power.

We did a GT3076R with one of our topmount turbo kits on a bone stock D16Z6 in a CRX and it ran has ran a best of 12.1 on 8psi.

super_civic
10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
agreed on forged pistons.

what are your goals for this car/motor? what numbers do you want to see & how will the car be used?

Goal: 340whp? 300torque? Maybe high 200's to mid 300's horsepower wise...
It will most likely be used for 1/4mile and maybe sometimes auto x.

I wouldve just asked these questions on D16Turbo.com but alot of people on there are assholes and flame your noob questions like crazy.

Agent Smith
10-16-2008, 09:36 AM
with those kind of numbers from a d-series I'd recommend sleeving the engine...

super_civic
10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I've seen people make 400+ and they didnt sleeve it...?
Well the horsepower doesnt even need to be that much, because I'm not crazy for power lol.
Even 250-300whp would be ok for me.

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
sounds like a nice build there man cant wait to see it done

super_civic
10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
sounds like a nice build there man cant wait to see it done

Thanks man, but its gonna be a while before its done. I'm a slow builder, and im poor as hell.

The Guido
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I would say the 2871r. I do have a Evo VII 16g FS, if you interested.

super_civic
10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I would say the 2871r. I do have a Evo VII 16g FS, if you interested.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to pick up a 16g...but I just spent all my money on an exhaust, fuel pump and injectors lol.

SlowLS
10-23-2008, 10:07 AM
D16Y8 Vtec Head/I.M.
Skunk2 Valve Springs
Skunk2 Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
Skunk2 Std Comp Valves
Skunk2 Adj Cam Gear
Crower Stage2 Turbo Camshaft
ARP Headstuds
Decent Head cleaning (No P&P or valve jobs/milling)

D16Y7 Block
75.5 Viatara Pistons
Eagle I-Beam Rods
OEM Gaskets
OEM Timing Belt

D16Y7 Transmission or should I swap the Y8 tranny?

Walbro 255 Fuel pump
RC550 Injectors

What Turbocharger should I go with with? T25? GT28r? 16g? T3-T04e? T3/T4?
I have no clue what turbo I should go with...I just dont want terrible lag!
- FMIC
- Intercooler Piping
- Down Pipe
- Dump Tube
- Tial 38mm Wastegage
- Ramhorn A/C Compatible
- GReddy Type S BOV

Open to opinions please!

TUNING on AEM? Or Chrome? Or Hondata? or Neptune? at Locash...

Anything else I should do or something I'm missing?
All feedback is appreciated.

get the y8 tranny, i have the y7 and it fuckin blows

super_civic
10-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah I have mine still too...sure does.
I ws just wondering would the Y7 Tranny be better because it has longer gears so it could benefit the turbo or something? Or I might save a little bit of gas after the setup?

Agent Smith
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah I have mine still too...sure does.
I ws just wondering would the Y7 Tranny be better because it has longer gears so it could benefit the turbo or something? Or I might save a little bit of gas after the setup?

longer gears FTL.
I have a y8 trans & I still hate it, gearing is retarded long in comparison with a b16/itr/gsr trans. it basically comparible to a LS trans, it's still long gearing but it's a lot better than the y7 uber long gears. At minimum in a d-series get a y8, or do one better & get a better F/D with y8 gears...

2.3Tnut
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
deffinitly go with a z6 or y8 transmission.

the vitara's will be fine with a good tune. however I would get fjt's custom rods for the vitara's to keep your compression higher (stock lenth rods are low 7:1 compression which will murder boost response) i'd strongly reccomend doing the endyn trick for the oiling system, and running a z6 oil pump. the y7/8 oiling system is crap!!! and once you add the turbo into the mix your just making it worse.

crower cam isn't the greatest pick but it will work. the zex 59300(or its 109300 for y8 I think???) cam is much nicer for boost. the 550's are going to be your limiting factor on power. would have gone 750's at least.

for turbo's. if you have deep enough pockets for bb the gt2871r is an awesome pick with the .82 a/r t3 housing. if money is tight the tried and true .63a/r stage III/t04e 57trim will make 340whp without working too hard but it will be laggier. a .48a/r stage III/t04e 50trim will spool sooner but sacrifice power up top past the 340whp mark.

hondata s300 and neptune are both great options. crome works but will also be a weak part of the system.

super_civic
10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
What Pistons should I buy? Instead of getting the Vitaras, I no longer want them lol.
I'm beggining to run short on money, but I want decent pistons and rod, but not want the most expensive stuff.
Where should I get them from?

2.3Tnut
10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
whats wrong with vitara's? they have been proven multiple times to make 400+whp??? can't get any cheaper than that???

turbo4dr
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
deffinitly go with a z6 or y8 transmission.

the vitara's will be fine with a good tune. however I would get fjt's custom rods for the vitara's to keep your compression higher (stock lenth rods are low 7:1 compression which will murder boost response) i'd strongly reccomend doing the endyn trick for the oiling system, and running a z6 oil pump. the y7/8 oiling system is crap!!! and once you add the turbo into the mix your just making it worse.

crower cam isn't the greatest pick but it will work. the zex 59300(or its 109300 for y8 I think???) cam is much nicer for boost. the 550's are going to be your limiting factor on power. would have gone 750's at least.

for turbo's. if you have deep enough pockets for bb the gt2871r is an awesome pick with the .82 a/r t3 housing. if money is tight the tried and true .63a/r stage III/t04e 57trim will make 340whp without working too hard but it will be laggier. a .48a/r stage III/t04e 50trim will spool sooner but sacrifice power up top past the 340whp mark.

hondata s300 and neptune are both great options. crome works but will also be a weak part of the system.

good info here^^^

go with fjt custom i-beams, i believe the viatara's are rated at a very low 7.6:1 but the i-beams will raise them up.
but viataras work fine, no worries.

as for the oil pump, many people shim it, it can work but then again some have failed.

babyboy5880
10-24-2008, 09:51 PM
The only part I can vouch for is getting the y8 tranny upgrade, I got it on both my ek hatches, it's not wayyy quicker but you can def tell the difference :thumbsup:

2.3Tnut
10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
good info here^^^

go with fjt custom i-beams, i believe the viatara's are rated at a very low 7.6:1 but the i-beams will raise them up.

as for the oil pump, many people shim it, it can work but then again some have failed.

the y8 pump is just smaller in general. a z6 pump is only like $50-80 new.(cheap insurance) a used on would be fine for him. champfering the openings in the pump as well as adding epoxy near the outlet and profiling helps greatly. also opening the main bearings to the girdle diameter and champfering the crank will help keep things happy. the mazda shim for the oil pump is also a must!!! if none of this is done your playing with a time bomb. and your insestment on your turbo, rods, and pistons can be wiped out with one little failure.

oh thats right 7.6:1 with stock rods and almost 8.5:1 with fjt's rods right? which would be 8.6 ish on the y8 head.

super_civic
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
good info here^^^

Ok, so where can I get them at? Ordered online or a local store?
So Viataras, fjt i-beam rods, and an oil pump?

2.3Tnut
10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Ok, so where can I get them at? Ordered online or a local store?
So Viataras, fjt i-beam rods, and an oil pump?

you can pm fjt from either honda-tech or turbod16.com he had them custom made so I'm pretty sure he's the only person you can get them from. he offers great package deals also. he sells a package which comes with vitara's, his rods, complete gasket kit, acl bearings, timing belt, and oil pump for a price which is hard to beat.

90civ_zc_racer
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
sounds like a great setup. id go with the y8 trans and id go with hondata. keep the d series alive and well my friend. good luck!!!!!

super_civic
10-28-2008, 12:50 PM
you can pm fjt from either honda-tech or turbod16.com he had them custom made so I'm pretty sure he's the only person you can get them from. he offers great package deals also. he sells a package which comes with vitara's, his rods, complete gasket kit, acl bearings, timing belt, and oil pump for a price which is hard to beat.

what does FJT stand for? Oh thats cool its all custom and stuff... I kinda already have the gaskets and timing belt, i could use the pump though.

sounds like a great setup. id go with the y8 trans and id go with hondata. keep the d series alive and well my friend. good luck!!!!!

Haha thanks man, definatley getting the Y8 tranny now, just gotta find one thats in good condition and cheap!

2.3Tnut
10-28-2008, 02:15 PM
not sure what fjt stands for but thats his screen name and business name on both forums.

turbo4dr
10-29-2008, 07:12 AM
keep us posted

super_civic
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Alright. Ill try to keep this updated, the only problem is i dont make tons-o-money so this build is gonna be slow lol.
I probably wont be able to buy the turbocharger until late november maybe, cuz I got stuff to pay and other things to buy.