PDA

View Full Version : Timing question/help!!!!!!

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
okay so my timing belt busted on me!! but i did a head swap on it b4 and i had a friend help. noiw that i put the belt back on i cant seem tp get the car to turn over. it will start with out the crank sensor and run perfectly, but i noticed that the belt starts to move a bit once it reaches 3500rpm like it wabbles. now i think my friend might have over tightened the tensioner cuz it doesnt tighten completely and once it starts to tighten it feels like it looses grip and loosens again and over and over again. sooo my question is would this cause for my timing to be off ??? ive done the tim ing like 80 times now and i know its on right!!! nothing is wrong with the head either!! PLEASE NE HELP WOULSD BE GOOD!!!

sniperscout
10-16-2008, 09:02 PM
it busted while the car was running or off

a bad tensioner will cause problems

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 09:11 PM
well once we got the head on it all turned on perfectly!!! no problems. i drove home, from 28th st and broadway to 39th ave and van buren. then i went to camelback mt...... i was already down the street from the mt when i pushed the gas and heard a high pitched wineing noise and the car turned off... once i popped the hood i saw the belt in two so now im here lol

sniperscout
10-16-2008, 09:18 PM
umm...how do you know you dont have other mechanical issues? Since after all we do have interference motors

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
what else could it be? i have no codes throwing and i have spark and fuel. like i said the car runs good and idles well with the crank shaft sensor unplugged but it only lets you rev to 3500rpm. could the sensor be bad? would the engine light be on if the sensor was bad??

sniperscout
10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
it should throw a cel if the crank sensor is unplugged...and it forces you into limp mode which it has done. I can check tomorrow if i have a sensor still laying around here.

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 09:46 PM
when i unplug the sensor it does throw the cel, but i plug it back in and the car will not start

sniperscout
10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
i dont know...all i can tell you is that ill look for a sensor tomorrow

4dr_ed3
10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
thx man ne thing helps

TEAMHB
10-17-2008, 02:11 AM
a loos timing belt can fuck up ur timing...ur timing can jump a tooth

Dead Bird
10-17-2008, 06:50 AM
a loos timing belt can fuck up ur timing...ur timing can jump a tooth

way to state the obvious snorlax.

id trust phil when it comes to these newer hondas.
id probably be blowin his phone up if i had one.

4dr_ed3
10-17-2008, 01:18 PM
if i cut the bolt a little you think it would grip fully? im gonna try to re-thread the hole in the blockand see how that works if not then im gonna try to cut the bolt some!! ne one know the size the whole actually is. i know the head of the bolt is a 14mm but the actual bold i dont know

sniperscout
10-17-2008, 02:31 PM
if i cut the bolt a little you think it would grip fully? im gonna try to re-thread the hole in the blockand see how that works if not then im gonna try to cut the bolt some!! ne one know the size the whole actually is. i know the head of the bolt is a 14mm but the actual bold i dont know

can you take a pic of the sensor for me...i have a few different ones

if you have a tap and die kit you should have the little tool that tells you the thread pitch

4dr_ed3
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM
^^^i dont have a tap and die kit ftl and ill get a pic of the sensor by tonight

ToyotaFan
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
You have to be real careful with those blocks, the casting is kinda weak. As for the crank no start, it's most likely the sensor, I've replaced a few under warranty for that problem.

4dr_ed3
10-22-2008, 05:46 PM
So there have been other cars that won't start cuz of the sensor being bad? Like does the car throw a cel when it goes out or it just doesn't start

ToyotaFan
10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I've had both situations, but most of the time the car will have the cel on.

4dr_ed3
10-23-2008, 08:23 AM
so i should get one ne ways just incase it was that!!? but dam man there 91 buks

ToyotaFan
10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Do you want it to run right? I'm not saying you should throw parts at it, but I think you should have someone look at it and verify the problem.

4dr_ed3
10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
there is really nothing else i can think of that can be the problem.... i have somewhat good knowledge of fixing cars but this car is wierd cuz of the no distributer and crap like that. the timing has to be perfect. ive done everything the manual says to do in eachand every order and many times. heck ive even tried other methods like sticking a screw driver in the #1 piston to find TDC just to see if maybe the lines on the crank wer off and still nothing!!!

Jason.AZ1
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
there is really nothing else i can think of that can be the problem.... i have somewhat good knowledge of fixing cars but this car is wierd cuz of the no distributer and crap like that. the timing has to be perfect. ive done everything the manual says to do in eachand every order and many times. heck ive even tried other methods like sticking a screw driver in the #1 piston to find TDC just to see if maybe the lines on the crank wer off and still nothing!!!

ill buy the shell????

just messing with you keep trying

4dr_ed3
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
thats my thinking but im low on flow right now thats whats making this a bitch.

Jason.AZ1
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
thats my thinking but im low on flow right now thats whats making this a bitch.

fuck it sell it to me

ehb/crx
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM
dude the timing belt snapped, then you could have a mechanical problem like bent valves. check your compression. if you have low or no compression the car will crank but it will never start. if the compression is good then try that sensor that's 91 bucks

Obd1_GsR
10-23-2008, 04:32 PM
dude the timing belt snapped, then you could have a mechanical problem like bent valves. check your compression. if you have low or no compression the car will crank but it will never start. if the compression is good then try that sensor that's 91 bucks

haha werent you asking for timing help in a other thread?? :grin:

ehb/crx
10-23-2008, 04:58 PM
haha werent you asking for timing help in a other thread?? :grin:

yeah but my question is different lol

ToyotaFan
10-23-2008, 05:30 PM

If you read above you'll see that if he unplugs the crank sensor, the car will run fine(besides it being in limp mode).

Check the wires that go to the crank sensor, and make sure that they haven't rubbed on the drive belts. I've seen people not put the loom back into the lower cover and then the wires rub on the drive belt and cause a short. If it runs when you disconnect the crank sensor then thats most likely your problem. Just to make sure we are talking crank position sensor(the lower one), not cam position sensor right?

sniperscout
10-23-2008, 07:16 PM
i found you a used sensor...the guy wants $25...i can guarantee it works cause it came off my old motor

4dr_ed3
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM
ok so i picked up the sensor from sniper and still nothing so now that i know its not the sensor im guessing I AM doing something wrong timing wise. cuz i checked for cut or clippped wires and nothing everything is on and nothing has been clipped or damaged. once i realized that the vtec head need to be milled i swapped the non vtec head back on and i was able to start it and time it like nothing why am i having such a hard time now. idk this is frustrating the shit out of me. im doing everything by the book to. i mean it cant be mechanical cuz the car wouldnt turn on if it was.

4dr_ed3
10-31-2008, 05:38 PM
ok so i kinda found out something that may or may not be the problem.... i align all the lines that need to be aligned perfectly and when i release the tensioner it pulls the belt and turns the crankshaft forward like a good 1/2 inch un aligning the mark..... could this be a good reason why the car will not turn on with the sensor plugged in??? help me sniperwon canobee your my only hope!!!

4dr_ed3
10-31-2008, 08:19 PM
^^^^^EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WRONG!!!!!!!! im a freakin idiot. so..... IT WASNT THE TIMING!!, IT WASNT THE SENSOR!!!!!! IT WASNT THE TENSIONER!!. when i changed the timing belt and i took off the crank pulley i broke off the two tdc teeth that the sensor reads!!! i only noticed cuz i cut my finger on it pretty bad and i took a closer look at it and saw the teeth gone. swap the pulley from the other motor and it started right up

LS-S DA9
10-31-2008, 10:24 PM
edit lol didnt see the above post good job man glad to hear you got it runnin..

sniperscout
11-01-2008, 05:09 PM
i was originally thinking you put the pulley on backwards but when i went and picked up that sensor i saw that they only go on one way...unlike the k series...so i didnt even bother mentioning it

but glad you figured it out.

4dr_ed3
11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
thx bud even though i didnt need the sensor its gonna save me 100 buks if i ever need another one so thx