PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler debate

RudysImports
10-17-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm putting together a turbo set up for my 94 coupe sohc. Does brand name matter? Right now I have a eclipse side mount(not to thrilled), my brother is upgrading his from his EVO8, and said I can have his stock. I have been looking on ebay,saw some from $47 to $250... I'm going for the long slim design that is for the grill opening..... WHAT DO YOU THINK???

FranktheTank
10-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Yes brand matters
get something thats legit and is bar and plate or delta fin technology.

1990SI
10-18-2008, 12:53 PM
i <3 Ebay

FranktheTank
10-18-2008, 01:00 PM
i <3 Ebay

Stfu. Ebay sucks for buying anything concerning turbo's
Everything is a cheap knock off that leaks and breaks.

1990SI
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Stfu. Ebay sucks for buying anything concerning turbo's
Everything is a cheap knock off that leaks and breaks.

ever head of sarcasm? oh btw a friend of mine has a ebay kit in his ls breaking mid 13's

Jason.AZ1
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
ever head of sarcasm? oh btw a friend of mine has a ebay kit in his ls breaking mid 13's

My boy nate had a stock b16 on a ebay kit on a street tune and ran 12 flat...

FranktheTank
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM

:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Ebay sucks period.

ask anyone that knows about boost and you'll get the same response as I said.

1990SI
10-18-2008, 01:11 PM
:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Ebay sucks period.

ask anyone and you'll get the same response as I said.

In that case 13s must suck haha

FranktheTank
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
In that case 13s must suck haha

Using Mainfolds that Crack suck.
Using Turbo's that leak suck.
Using Charge piping that cracks suck.
and using cheap knock off bov's and wastegates is just a bad Idea( horrible boost spikes and Compression surage)

advert
10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
i know plenty of people who have ran good times on a ebay intercooler.

*inFamous*
10-19-2008, 11:15 AM
i know plenty of people who have ran good times on a ebay intercooler.

I'd have to agree with Advert here. If the intercooler is constructed of good quality materials and has little pressure drop, whats wrong with it being sold cheaply on ebay.

:)

I wouldn't ever go Ebay mani/wg/turbo though lol

jakellama123
10-19-2008, 11:44 AM
i think the intercooler is the only thing you can skimp out on

FranktheTank
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd have to agree with Advert here. If the intercooler is constructed of good quality materials and has little pressure drop, whats wrong with it being sold cheaply on ebay.

:)

I wouldn't ever go Ebay mani/wg/turbo though lol

i think the intercooler is the only thing you can skimp out on

You lose boost through all intercoolers but a lot of ebay ones have bad welding on the end tanks which cause you to have boost leaks.

RudysImports
10-19-2008, 06:51 PM
So as far as ebay, its up in the air???? What if I go with the EVO 8 stock intercooler? I just want to try and stay away from the side mount if possible.

FranktheTank
10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
So as far as ebay, its up in the air???? What if I go with the EVO 8 stock intercooler? I just want to try and stay away from the side mount if possible.

The Evo one will work Fine.
Your just going to need to find some bolts and Hangers to mount it I think.

18c
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Surface area, The fin density of ebay intercoolers is where they generally cheap out. Which leads to a less efficient intercooler. If they use a good core, there would be nothing wrong with an ebay intercooler, however this is usually not the case.

And no technically you shouldnt skimp out on anything, the reason this doesnt hurt your car is because it can still run without an intercooler.
I have seen a lot of ebay kits run good times, in fact a friend of mine a while back did one. They are still pieces of crap, when something breaks, its useless. Their manifolds crack, and they use bandaid design fixes to try and hide the fact they just use shitty thin steel for their manifolds. Their turbos leak or blow seals with any kind of oil pressure being applied.

Think of it this way, if you ate out of a garbage can, would you still be hungry? probably not so it did its job, but that doesnt mean its good.

GT3076Red
10-25-2008, 11:42 AM
The core with the most FPI is what you want

taggart_lumpy
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
on our old shop car we had an ebay intercooler the large 4 x 12 x 26 one or whatever size it is
we switched to a smaller garrett core and had custom end tanks made and picked up nearly 80whp with 2lbs less of boost

fivesfe
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM
i picked up a threadstone(sp?) intercooler off ebay...imo its pretty good quality...its a bar and plate, its pretty big. After a few runs on a hot day if i get out and feel it you can feel a huge temp difference from side to side.

This was on a dsm...i never really ran the car at the track at its full potential...but i ran a 13.9 with a stock exhaust, no tune, and 15psi(just below the turbo's efficeincy range)

FranktheTank
10-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Surface area, The fin density of ebay intercoolers is where they generally cheap out. Which leads to a less efficient intercooler. If they use a good core, there would be nothing wrong with an ebay intercooler, however this is usually not the case.

And no technically you shouldnt skimp out on anything, the reason this doesnt hurt your car is because it can still run without an intercooler.
I have seen a lot of ebay kits run good times, in fact a friend of mine a while back did one. They are still pieces of crap, when something breaks, its useless. Their manifolds crack, and they use bandaid design fixes to try and hide the fact they just use shitty thin steel for their manifolds. Their turbos leak or blow seals with any kind of oil pressure being applied.

Think of it this way, if you ate out of a garbage can, would you still be hungry? probably not so it did its job, but that doesnt mean its good.

on our old shop car we had an ebay intercooler the large 4 x 12 x 26 one or whatever size it is
we switched to a smaller garrett core and had custom end tanks made and picked up nearly 80whp with 2lbs less of boost

Point proven.:grin:

1990SI
11-20-2008, 03:50 PM
i stll <3 ebay

RudysImports
11-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Im going with the evo8 intercooler...

2.3Tnut
11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
the bar and plate ebay coolers are great. have had no issues with them. i've personally ran 26psi for awhile on one and my cousin runs 27psi and has gone as high as 36psi on accident once. no leaking issues ever!! I buy from just-intercoolers on ebay. great prices and customer service.

2.3Tnut
11-23-2008, 07:31 AM
buy my spearco

:thumbsup:

samster
12-26-2008, 12:37 PM
godspeed cores from ebay are just fine :)