PDA

View Full Version : 5-7 psi questions

xg1rgx
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
running a stock y7 at about 5 or 7 psi what kind of gain would you see from that?

and what would be the ideal size turbo to run at around 5-7 as just a daily that needs some fun?

i know its kind of vague but just looking for a starting point

2.3Tnut
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
you can't rate hp from just 5-7psi. every turbo/tune can make different power at 5-7psi. for reference though 5-7psi on a .60/.48 t3 will make approx 150-175whp with a decent tune on a bone stock y7. my buddies y7 that I built a junk yard kit with that turbo made 140whp at 6psi untuned (uberdata base map with .75 retard per psi) and left the dyno with a 194whp at 10psi tuned on neptune.(uncorrected numbers at 6400ft elevation, 2.5"dp, 2.25" exhaust, arp headstuds, tiny sidemount ic, dsm 450's, ect.....) full boost by 3800. he now makes 245whp at 15psi with the same setup with a bigger fmic and d16z6 uncorrected at 6400ft

but the fun gain with d series with boost is tq! he made ~160wtq at 6psi untuned and almost 200wtq at 10psi tuned.

Jason.AZ1
10-28-2008, 11:36 AM
running a stock y7 at about 5 or 7 psi what kind of gain would you see from that?

and what would be the ideal size turbo to run at around 5-7 as just a daily that needs some fun?

i know its kind of vague but just looking for a starting point

for a y7 and only running little boost run a baby turbo like t25 or something
as for power I dunno

BADCHKN
10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
explain why you would run a t25 turbo plz? lol

Jason.AZ1
10-28-2008, 12:50 PM

why need a large turbo?
why spend more for a large turbo?
t25 should be able to give him the power he's looking for.
t25 is easy to find and replace.
he looking to run small boost and a t25 is cheapier turbo and will spool quick
so why not.

and yes I dont know much or anything about turbos
besides a t25 spools quick and is some what cheap to buy new.

The President
10-28-2008, 12:50 PM

well duh, because the flange is pretty much universal and you also get to rig up oil lines AND coolant lines, makes it sicker:rflmao:

xg1rgx
10-28-2008, 01:53 PM
im just talking like not going to put strain on my motor if i dont get on the boost too often like i dont want to keep blowing motors and wonder why. But I've known plenty of people that have driven on motors for 4+years with very low boost. I just have no idea the set ups they would run. Your info really helped but im looking for more info as to what set up i should be looking to build that isnt too expensive and isnt going to hurt the d

2.3Tnut
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
for a y7 and only running little boost run a baby turbo like t25 or something
as for power I dunno

depends what he's looking for. small turbos are sometimes a pain to drive. i've always been a fan of mid sized turbo's. they drive like stock below 3000rpm and will get great gas milage then when you want that extra power to rip onto the freeway or play with someone its there from 3500 on up.
small turbo's are peaky and make instant power which can be annoying when daily driving especially in stop and go traffic. you get the trailer hitching whiplash effect. then they usually fall off towards redline which is were most honda's make power. gas milage usually suffers as well.

but to each there own.

2.3Tnut
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
oh and it's not always about running low boost. a professional tune will go further than running low boost. low boost just gives you a buffer for error. ;)

Jason.AZ1
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
depends what he's looking for. small turbos are sometimes a pain to drive. i've always been a fan of mid sized turbo's. they drive like stock below 3000rpm and will get great gas milage then when you want that extra power to rip onto the freeway or play with someone its there from 3500 on up.
small turbo's are peaky and make instant power which can be annoying when daily driving especially in stop and go traffic. you get the trailer hitching whiplash effect. then they usually fall off towards redline which is were most honda's make power. gas milage usually suffers as well.

but to each there own.

word

turbo4dr
10-28-2008, 07:11 PM

and yes I dont know much or anything about turbos
besides a t25 spools quick and is some what cheap to buy new.

i think that was the point he was hinting at.

personally small turbos i think are fun. ive had a tdo4h and now the gt28r and they both have performed well, its all a matter of what you are looking for.

haloae
10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
for a cheap kit i always went with a 14b for my single cam. like the t25 there cheap easy to find and get a little more power over a t25