PDA

View Full Version : upgrading rack&pinon ?

xg1rgx
10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
are there brands out there that make upgraded rack and pinions? mines about shot and I do not want the power steering rack anymore and am looking for something a little heavier duty maybe a little better suited for the turns?

vexx7001
10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
jhpusa has a quaife rack and pinion kit that U use your stock non-power casing. It also matters what year and kind of car u have. here is the link to jhpusa http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=171&idproduct=1878

xg1rgx
05-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Still wondering, since I know zero about steering components. What can be done to rebuild my steering preferablly aftermarket making it better?

Agent Smith
05-15-2009, 10:38 PM
uhhh... why aftermarket? why do you think there is something wrong with the oem unit?

if you want to eliminate power steering or improve the quickness of the steering I can understand from a track perspective, but not on a daily driver...

xg1rgx
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
uhhh... why aftermarket? why do you think there is something wrong with the oem unit?

if you want to eliminate power steering or improve the quickness of the steering I can understand from a track perspective, but not on a daily driver...

. I felt the road better without power steering in my ef, and I would like to build my rack to be stronger than the stock one that is clearly having issues.

Agent Smith
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
what issues are you having that it's "shot" did you loop power steering or screw something up or what?

xg1rgx
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't feel theres anything wrong with the power steering just the rack at a certain spot during turning, it creeks and feels to slow down till it passes that point

Agent Smith
05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
other than an s2000, all honda's steering systems feel slow to me, because they are, the above kit helps though...

your rack might just have some build up/gunk or it might simply have worn down some of the spline ridges. You can get remanufactured ones pretty cheap. There really isn't anything wrong with the oem design though, that's why no one offers an aftermarket unit, there are many replacement units out there though.