PDA

View Full Version : Emission Light Code P420

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Well tonight I was driving had the car on maybe about 20 minutes or so. I've been driving it all weekend. It's about 64 degrees outside, No other engine lights, engine temps are normal. No backfire's or weird sounds from the exhaust/engine. Exhaust system is stock other than intake and exhaust muffler from the rear axle back.

Threw a code p0420 OBDII

Had it checked at autozone,

THE PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshhold for the current engine operation conditions. Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies teh cylinders on the opposite bank.

definition cayalyst low bank 1

problem causes
1- cay converter defective
2. engine misfire or running condition
3.large vaccum leak
4. engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide seals piston rings

I'm just wondering at this point should I just try and reset the emission light and see if it comes on again before going further. Should I be looking into getting another cat or is there somewhere I can go to get a more specific answer?

Jason.AZ1
11-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Well tonight I was driving had the car on maybe about 20 minutes or so. I've been driving it all weekend. It's about 64 degrees outside, No other engine lights, engine temps are normal. No backfire's or weird sounds from the exhaust/engine. Exhaust system is stock other than intake and exhaust muffler from the rear axle back.

Threw a code p0420 OBDII

Had it checked at autozone,

THE PCM has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshhold for the current engine operation conditions. Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies teh cylinders on the opposite bank.

definition cayalyst low bank 1

problem causes
1- cay converter defective
2. engine misfire or running condition
3.large vaccum leak
4. engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide seals piston rings

I'm just wondering at this point should I just try and reset the emission light and see if it comes on again before going further. Should I be looking into getting another cat or is there somewhere I can go to get a more specific answer?

:roll:
your motor is done for go K

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 08:06 PM
:roll:
your motor is done for go K

also how much would a new cat cost?

em2trackstar
11-30-2008, 08:11 PM
i had the same problem when i went from cali to az. my car was so used to the temp and humidity that cali had when i came into az it threw the code cuz of the temp and i had leaks in my exhaust flange next to the o2 sensor. it could just be a minor problem or a big one depending. do you have any leaks in the exhaust, header or cat? check the o2 sensors see how the are. if anything get more info, check out your car (for the leaks and o2 sensor). after all that has been done and looked at. and no problems with those parts, reset the light and see if it comes back. thats what i did. good luck hope you figure it out.

em2trackstar
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
new cat your looking at 450 brand new if not more from a exhaust shop or dealership.

Jason.AZ1
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
new cat your looking at 450 brand new if not more from a exhaust shop or dealership.
what the fuck???

55th and glendale muffler master $200 tops for a high flow cat
test pipe 50 bucks or so

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
i had the same problem when i went from cali to az. my car was so used to the temp and humidity that cali had when i came into az it threw the code cuz of the temp and i had leaks in my exhaust flange next to the o2 sensor. it could just be a minor problem or a big one depending. do you have any leaks in the exhaust, header or cat? check the o2 sensors see how the are. if anything get more info, check out your car (for the leaks and o2 sensor). after all that has been done and looked at. and no problems with those parts, reset the light and see if it comes back. thats what i did. good luck hope you figure it out.

Can you maybe snap a shot or two of what I should be looking at. Not really familiar with what to look for? I am going to reset it though and we'll see if I get the same light again. or if your volunteering that'd be cool too :D

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
what the fuck???

55th and glendale muffler master $200 tops for a high flow cat
test pipe 50 bucks or so

500 on majestic honda and their shit is dirt cheap. High flow i'd have to change the entire exhaust system I think?

Jason.AZ1
11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Can you maybe snap a shot or two of what I should be looking at. Not really familiar with what to look for? I am going to reset it though and we'll see if I get the same light again. or if your volunteering that'd be cool too :D

go to mufflermaster and they will tell you what you need done and they are cheap and do awsome work

while they work on your car walk nextstore to petes fish and chips good food

Jason.AZ1
11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
500 on majestic honda and their shit is dirt cheap. High flow i'd have to change the entire exhaust system I think?

No the cat bolts in and out
you wouldnt need to change the whole exhaust system for a new cat.

Hopeless EP3
11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Just bought a high flow cat not too long ago for $120..

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Just bought a high flow cat not too long ago for $120..

That's great, here's the problem. You drive a crx I believe it is? Also yes they are around 120.00 but that's for a high flow, which requires changing out everything.... header,cat,exhaust. I've priced my exhaust it's about 550 from rms

MrRline2010
11-30-2008, 09:43 PM
anyway I reset the battery now. Took it for a 10 minute drive and I don't see the emissions light coming on anymore. Forgot when it went on too I was near an area with a lot of water and it was a lot colder that might have been it.

em2trackstar
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
a high flow is great but why pay 120 for a high flow cat when hes changing the exhaust system out anyways? and true majestic honda dirt cheap cat 500 bucks. i dont know anything about this muffler shop jason but i guess whatever works right. cronic if the light turns back on, ill reset the light, just come down to jiffy lube on 69th and bell i got the code reader there. any other help you need pm me and ill help you out as much as i can.

em2trackstar
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
i would snap some pics of the areas but i got a full race header, cat delete, and aftermarket exhaust system. my pics kinda wont help cuz it wont show (who has a stock exhaust) the areas you need to look at.

Jason.AZ1
11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
That's great, here's the problem. You drive a crx I believe it is? Also yes they are around 120.00 but that's for a high flow, which requires changing out everything.... header,cat,exhaust. I've priced my exhaust it's about 550 from rms

thats what your cat looks like you dont need
to change out the header/whole exhaust to replace it.
and a highflow cat will be better then oem
or fuck it throw a testpipe in it

all they do is unbolt the bad cat throw it away and bolt up the new cat and your on your way.

http://davisconverters.com/catalyticcoverter_01.jpg
http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/images/converter-location.gif
http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/graphics/how-exhausts-work_large.jpg

mufflermasters will do it cheap and it will be done right way
also 200 bucks is max i think they quoted me 130 long time ago i dont really remember

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Muffler.Masters.623-939-5773

alot of honda/alot of people use them for there exhaust they do awsome work
they do all my father/brothers exhaust and did a few of mine/ of my friends

MrRline2010
12-01-2008, 12:15 AM
thats what your cat looks like you dont need
to change out the header/whole exhaust to replace it.
and a highflow cat will be better then oem
or fuck it throw a testpipe in it

all they do is unbolt the bad cat throw it away and bolt up the new cat and your on your way.

http://davisconverters.com/catalyticcoverter_01.jpg
http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/images/converter-location.gif
http://www.kwik-fit.com/assets/jpg/graphics/how-exhausts-work_large.jpg

mufflermasters will do it cheap and it will be done right way
also 200 bucks is max i think they quoted me 130 long time ago i dont really remember

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Muffler.Masters.623-939-5773

alot of honda/alot of people use them for there exhaust they do awsome work
they do all my father/brothers exhaust and did a few of mine/ of my friends

so jason if I got this high flow cat installed could I bolt up a catback up to it later? Also will it pass emissions?

Jason.AZ1
12-01-2008, 12:23 AM
so jason if I got this high flow cat installed could I bolt up a catback up to it later? Also will it pass emissions?

Yes sir this highflow cat is just like your oem one but better.
bolts up just the same and everything...

call them or go down im gonna say 200 max but they will most likely charge you
100-140 for it...

MrRline2010
12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Yes sir this highflow cat is just like your oem one but better.
bolts up just the same and everything...

call them or go down im gonna say 200 max but they will most likely charge you
100-140 for it...

wont' work with a 4-2-1 megan header though will it?

bryantiscool
12-01-2008, 12:56 AM
check the o2's and make sure they're still good.
if it ends up being your cat, if you just want some universal one, it'll require welding and you'll still have that flange for your header.
highflow cats, if its a bolt on, it should work with your megan header.
you don't need to change out your entire exhaust since there's nothing being done to the rest of your exhaust system.

MrRline2010
12-01-2008, 01:42 AM
check the o2's and make sure they're still good.
if it ends up being your cat, if you just want some universal one, it'll require welding and you'll still have that flange for your header.
highflow cats, if its a bolt on, it should work with your megan header.
you don't need to change out your entire exhaust since there's nothing being done to the rest of your exhaust system.
:hello:

Jason.AZ1
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
wont' work with a 4-2-1 megan header though will it?

yes it will fit

4dr_ed3
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
i would snap some pics of the areas but i got a full race header, cat delete, and aftermarket exhaust system. my pics kinda wont help cuz it wont show (who has a stock exhaust) the areas you need to look at.

how did you dothis and by pass the o2 or do you have the o2 on there custom???

Hopeless EP3
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM

$550 for the cat back? and no it does not require you to change out everything and the new exhaust would bolt right up with the high flow cat. and its a breeze for passing emissions :) and no it was not put on my crx. It was put on a 95 cvic coupe :P

em2trackstar
12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
with the dc race header it has the o2 sensor bung on the header itself. screw it in and your done. the rest is all bolt on exhaust just to answer your question E.

ehb/crx
12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
just get a cat in ebay. I did that and my car passed emissions like nothing. I paid 25 bucks for the cat too

JspecSi
12-02-2008, 12:41 AM
i got a universal car installed after i threw a p0420 code on my ep, replaced the cat cost me 180 installed. Passed emissions flying colors. Shop is in a ghetto place but hey prety reasonable price. I would just stick with regular cat its quieter thats just my .02 if you have an em2 should be about the same price.

MrRline2010
10-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Ok almost the same thing again threw the same code while on my way out today. Happened twice. I've tightened the gas cap and i'm working on cleaning the air filter so far. I can somewhat smell that the car is running rich, which i'm attributing to the cooler weather. I think I may have an exhaust leak or something needs to be tightened up at the cat since I've had a small rattling noise from there at lower rpm/speeds. I am curious at this point would I be better off to throw a full exhaust on or should I try to take this to a muffler shop and see what they can do?

MrRline2010
10-11-2009, 09:11 AM
cleaned filter last night and took it out this morning. Within 5 minutes of driving light came back on. Anyone know where the o2 sensor on an lx is?

MrRline2010
10-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Well I think I may have found the culprit, but i'm not sure.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/dj_cronic_metal/100_0905.jpg

MrRline2010
10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
yep culprit found thanks for all the help guys. Actually more thanks to bryant than anyone

MrRline2010
10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
sick ass ride

retard theres not even a picture of my ride on here. Quit being a dumb fuck for post count.

mike ek
11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
if that is the cat connected to your exhaust mani and you replace that with after market headers and a uni cat it will still throw u the same code u need to get a oem one from honda with exh, mani and cat connected..