PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Spray ?

elbowpunk
12-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Was wondering if anyone on here has a DD car with stock motor with Nitrious ?? I want it for my RSX, but im having serious thoughts of blowing my motor....

any comments would be great thanks !

all MotR EP3
12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
its alot of fun!! only thing is that it runs out : (
alot of people hate on it too

2.3Tnut
12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
i've installed nitrous on a few daily driven cars with no issues. it's actually very safe if the proper precautions are made. the biggest thing that causes issues is GREED!!! it's so easy to just jet higher to try and beat that car you almost beat..then maybe I can beat this guy now....hmm almost lets jet up again...and its a ever going viscous cycle. a 50shot is perfectly safe on pump gas with 1 step colder plugs, 1 degree retard and a window switch/wot switch. a 75 shot is also safe but will need ~2 degree retard on spray. but one thing you have to keep an eye on especially during the summer is bottle pressure. too high can get you in trouble. in the winter the cold will lower bottle pressure which will only sacrifice power. now the only thing i'm not too sure about a rsx is the ability to retard ignition timing. this may be the determining factor on nitrous. if your going to need k-pro or a piggy back then it just isn't as cheap as usuall, which is where nitrous typically shines.

however the aem fi/c would be a great companion for nitrous. it has a built in wot/window switch and will give you the ability to retard timing as well as play with the fuel trims and it can be programmed on a swich so it will run like stock untill you arm the system(flip switch) then it can retard timing and controll your nitrous. great investment for $300-350 bucks. part number 30-1910 http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

Jason.AZ1
12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
i've installed nitrous on a few daily driven cars with no issues. it's actually very safe if the proper precautions are made. the biggest thing that causes issues is GREED!!! it's so easy to just jet higher to try and beat that car you almost beat..then maybe I can beat this guy now....hmm almost lets jet up again...and its a ever going viscous cycle. a 50shot is perfectly safe on pump gas with 1 step colder plugs, 1 degree retard and a window switch/wot switch. a 75 shot is also safe but will need ~2 degree retard on spray. but one thing you have to keep an eye on especially during the summer is bottle pressure. too high can get you in trouble. in the winter the cold will lower bottle pressure which will only sacrifice power. now the only thing i'm not too sure about a rsx is the ability to retard ignition timing. this may be the determining factor on nitrous. if your going to need k-pro or a piggy back then it just isn't as cheap as usuall, which is where nitrous typically shines.

however the aem fi/c would be a great companion for nitrous. it has a built in wot/window switch and will give you the ability to retard timing as well as play with the fuel trims and it can be programmed on a swich so it will run like stock untill you arm the system(flip switch) then it can retard timing and controll your nitrous. great investment for $300-350 bucks. part number 30-1910 http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

wow great info
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

2.3Tnut
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
another thing I forgot to mention is. nitrous is commonly misunderstood. a 50shot may only be 50hp to the wheels but you have to remember the tq increase you get from it. it's not uncommon to see 60-80lb/ft of tq gain from a 50shot. and close to 100lb/ft of tq from a 75shot. remember tq wins races. hp sells cars. ;)

here's an example of a 75shot http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4700&p=26009&hilit=nitrous#p26009

elbowpunk
12-04-2008, 06:11 PM
ok sweet... so i was doing some research on the AEM FIC and it doesnt work with the Ivtec motors... only old skool vtec. so maybe this wouldnt be such a dandy idea...

xactdyno
12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
2.3, where can you buy fic for 3-350??? even on ebay they're 400 with ship. if you have them for 300, i'll buy from you next time. i buy from aem direct and can't get them that cheap.

also, hondas need 30-1911. special box for honda only.

rsx is coil over plug so no way to adjust timing other than unit like fic.

i agree 50 shot is fine with nearly no changes, but never in the summer. weather like now, cool.

but n2o will eat at you. reminds me of GnR's mr. brownstone song.

it used to be little but a little wouldn't do it so a little got more and more.....

2.3Tnut
12-06-2008, 08:52 AM
sent you a pm. oops I forget what retail prices are on things. lol haven't paid retail on anything in quite some time.

also this chart http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116 show for 02-04 rsx you need the 30-1910 box???? it's also the box people have used with the honda fit which is also COP?

The President
12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
sent you a pm. oops I forget what retail prices are on things. lol haven't paid retail on anything in quite some time.

also this chart http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116 show for 02-04 rsx you need the 30-1910 box???? it's also the box people have used with the honda fit which is also COP?

you sir are starting to make me think you deserve AZHT's "Most Helpful Noob Award" of 2008 :lmao:

Every post I read from you has great info. :thumbup:

2.3Tnut
12-06-2008, 09:08 AM
you sir are starting to make me think you deserve AZHT's "Most Helpful Noob Award" of 2008 :lmao:

Every post I read from you has great info. :thumbup:

maybe a noob here, but definitly not a noob to the game ;)

The President
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM

for sure man. like I've said, I've seen your posts and everything is always quality information... maybe you're just really old? hahaha. On a side note man, thanks for posting and sharing the things you know with people. it's always nice to know you're getting legit information when asking a question.

2.3Tnut
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
naa not too old. (25) sure starting to feel it though. i'm definitly no spring chicken anymore. :)

crxhfb16
12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I run the Zex wet kit with a 55 shot on my stock motor the only bad thing about nitrous is it runs out lol while refiles are only $40 that addes up after a while.

with my zex kit i run NGk 7 plugs the kit works off a full throttle switch i turn it on when i hit full throttle i get the juice

Acurazor
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I just finished my first bottle on my K20. Loved it. Using a NX kit with a 75 wet shot. Runs great. Pulled nicely on a modded srt4 if that says how much it helps. Honestly to me it was just insane had to wait till 3rd gear so that I didn't just light'em up. But I'm getting rid of it now, was just playing with it. I want boost. You don't have to re-fill BOOST.

elbowpunk
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
sell me ur kit Ric !!

B16offuryz
12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
we usually run a 200 to 250 shot of nitrous with about 5 to 7 degree timing retard. and 3 step coolder plugs...... our engines are at its 4th year now running strong

but i will also agree with 2.3. just have some type of managment to retard timing run colder plugs, i would also recomend at least 100 + octane for an extra insurance

Acurazor
12-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Well it's not my kit, I was just borrowing it to see if I liked it.

ICD
12-21-2008, 10:00 AM

can we get some more info and other precautions that should be taken into consideration

B16offuryz
12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
can we get some more info and other precautions that should be taken into consideration

make sure your A/F are always rich when on spray.

10.0 to 10.2 afr

michalo187
12-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Nitrous is like a stripper........you know you wanna hit it but your scared of the consequences........

My personal experience with nitrous is, its very fun but can be very dangerous to the engine if its not set up properly or if a malfunction occurs. If you have an Rsx i say you save up for a turbo or supercharger and run low boost all day because with a good management like k pro and a good tune it would be very reliable. It also cost $$$$$ to be refilling your bottle every week because trust me this stuff is like meth you try it once and your hooked.

And if your scared of blowing your engine there are many NA routes available for the k that can put out happy gains or build an engine for boost or use a k24 block, the k has so many options of going fast it makes it an awesome car to modify.

Acurazor
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Can't you put a2 or z1 head on your a3 block? Won't you get good gains there. Like a lower compression S.

elbowpunk
12-23-2008, 08:42 AM
duhhh but if i do all that labor im better off switchin to type s complete motor with tranny for same price u kno ?

2.3Tnut
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM

learn to read plugs!!! then do a wot pass and pull the key(turn off) (just make sure your solonoids are wired to switched power so it doesn't continue to spray after you pull the key) make sure you slap in fresh plugs so you can see whats going on.

but honestly with a 50shot this isn't exactly necessary. definitly good practice for if/when you do step up on the shot.

ICD
12-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Sweet

honduh_head
12-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Bottle is soooo much fun.

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I used multiple nitrous kits on multiple motors and even autos and 5spd.s alike. Its safe just don't abuse it to bad to try and keep reliability. Obviously a 150 shot isn't going to last on a d16 but I've ran 100-120 shot on b20 and f series motors all stock. 1 d16 did last a half bottle of a 100 shot with a locked fuel sylenoid

GOTTRQ?
12-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Just do a small shot, and make sure it's installed properly. Nitrous is very safe when used properly, and tuned correctly.

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
i cant wait to put the new car on bottle again. 75 wet on the accord auto with a trans cooler.

ICD
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Wat are your guys definition of used and installed properly?

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
my own personal would be soldered connections. everything mounted according to book and 3 requirments before use each time. 3k and above only. full throttle only. and bottle/equipment on and pretested.

BlownspeakerBoX
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
hmmm. got me contemplating spary now

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
its a hell of a drug, i like watching all motor races against turbo.... the spray versus boost debate is the best though... im auto, i need the torque...

ej1ninja
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
my own personal would be soldered connections. everything mounted according to book and 3 requirments before use each time. 3k and above only. full throttle only. and bottle/equipment on and pretested.

seany aka tweek?

that one eg
01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
whaqt about spray on a stock b16a? would it be safe with a lil 50 shot

that one eg
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
any one stock b16a on a 50 shot? would it be safe or even worth it

MiniTurbo
02-14-2009, 01:43 PM
wuts the most anybody has sprayd on a fully stock b16? good info guys

trusohc
03-02-2009, 01:27 PM