PDA

View Full Version : Leak in inner cv boot

MrRline2010
12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Had my oil changed today, they noticed a leak in the inner cvboot. Is this something serious to worry about? I don't hear any clicking in the boot and the tech didn't see any tears in the boot. I noticed from my garage floor over the past few days I have maybe three drops of like oil or grease and thats it? Any recommendations of who to see/where to go, or if someone wouldn't mind giving me a hand replaceing it.

Jason.AZ1
12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
wait until it clicks then replace it

randizle
12-17-2008, 02:33 AM

lol words from a true pro.................

all you have to do if your boot has a rip is get that tape shit from auto zone and tape it closed and this will eliminate any dirt or small rocks geting in there causing your cv joint to go bad way before it should,depending on how much grease you have slung out while driving you might want to buy some grease to put in there.all together it should cost no more then 12$ vrs buying a new axle.

Jason.AZ1
12-17-2008, 03:18 AM

all you have to do if your boot has a rip is get that tape shit from auto zone and tape it closed and this will eliminate any dirt or small rocks geting in there causing your cv joint to go bad way before it should,depending on how much grease you have slung out while driving you might want to buy some grease to put in there.all together it should cost no more then 12$ vrs buying a new axle.

i was joking a new axle is like 80 bucks if that i think and a boot is like 30 or something i dont remember but its not much to replace so go buy a new one and replace the damn thing sniper had mine in and out in 10 min

sniperscout
12-20-2008, 11:12 PM
11 and a half minutes

EP3OhFour
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM
i was joking
i dont think you were....

but anyways. if it is just leaking and not making noise and its a fresh leak then just buy a band and some axle grease. its not that hard and its way cheaper than buying a whole axle. DONT wait till it makes noise because your axle is fine, you should however try and get it done soon so it doesnt start making noise and ruin your axle.

is it torn or just leaking out? if its torn you will need a boot aswell. i wouldnt suggest taping it

MrRline2010
12-21-2008, 02:43 PM

but anyways. if it is just leaking and not making noise and its a fresh leak then just buy a band and some axle grease. its not that hard and its way cheaper than buying a whole axle. DONT wait till it makes noise because your axle is fine, you should however try and get it done soon so it doesnt start making noise and ruin your axle.

is it torn or just leaking out? if its torn you will need a boot aswell. i wouldnt suggest taping it

its not torn just leaking and very small amount. the past 4 days days all i've had is 1 little drop of grease

randizle
12-21-2008, 05:16 PM
the grease slings out when you drive not when your car is siting,its thick

BloodyTampon
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
x2 it wont just drip. it flings when you are driving... just get a new cv boot band and fill it up with grease. youll be good. clean up the area good tho because if you let it sit, then it will get soooo nasty and the grease will be all dirty and cake on.

ph8ed4life
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM

Bad advice. Plus, outer joints are usually the ones to click

Better advice if you're on a budget and don't have the time/tools/experience to pull the axle

best advice here, redoing the boot is the best way

Since yours isn't ripped but just getting by the band, I would suggest wiping it down good and possibly rebanding it. You could slap in ome fresh grease, since you have the band off

MrRline2010
12-21-2008, 11:06 PM
to do this does it require removing anything with the spring/struts? I havent had a chance to look yet i've been digging through boxes trying to find where I put my haynes manual.

BloodyTampon
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
the easiest way on your setup is to take out the spring/strut assembly, then you can pull the inner axle out and do the band... remember to drain your tranny tho. i would just do a tranny flush no matter since youre right there.

sniperscout
12-22-2008, 04:34 AM
you dont need to drain the tranny fluid to pull the axle

MrRline2010
12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
you dont need to drain the tranny fluid to pull the axle

I was going to say something didnt sound right about dumping the tranny

whats parts out of this list do I need then to stop the leak? Just called honda and they told me 380 to do it. o.0

randizle
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
all you need to buy to fix it is a ruber boot and axle grease,it's like 5th grade honda 101, if you dont know just google how to do it.

KingDingaLing
12-25-2008, 09:00 PM
all these net techs.

randizle
12-25-2008, 10:24 PM
all these net techs.

net techs? thats how people learn"reading"

it's not really a accomplishment in life to become a great honda tech, it just takes some reading on the net and a haynes book and you can do anything depending on how determened someone is.

ph8ed4life
12-27-2008, 03:43 PM

whats parts out of this list do I need then to stop the leak? Just called honda and they told me 380 to do it. o.0

Call honda parts, tell them you need an inner boot kit for you car. It should come with everything, we get em all the time. Or, save some money and get a full kit from an aftermarket place. I use BAP, here in tucson

all these net techs.

Indeed....god thing I'm hafway to mastertech status. Hoepfully ASE has a webtech cert:roll:

net techs? thats how people learn"reading"

it's not really a accomplishment in life to become a great honda tech, it just takes some reading on the net and a haynes book and you can do anything depending on how determened someone is.

If its not a great accomplishment, then the person is not a great tech. I agree, the info is easy to find on the web.

MrRline2010
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/dj_cronic_metal/1231081424.jpg

Took a look yesterday. I don't see a leak nothing is wet and there is no spots where I see grease flinging out of it. The leak has stopped it was only like 3 drops and it's not happening at all anymore. problem solved I guess?

civicsickness
01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
well if u see it leaking on ur garage from just rolling two miles an hour in and out of your garage just think of how much is coming out of the boot at 60 70 mph on the freeway. my guess is whatever is on ur floor isnt from ur boot. maybe u have another smaller problem somewhere. lube techs dont always catch every problem in inspections. i would know because im a lube tech. next time it leaks try to determine what kind of fluid it is. axle grease is like mud but grayish in color.

MrRline2010
01-03-2009, 05:36 AM
well if u see it leaking on ur garage from just rolling two miles an hour in and out of your garage just think of how much is coming out of the boot at 60 70 mph on the freeway. my guess is whatever is on ur floor isnt from ur boot. maybe u have another smaller problem somewhere. lube techs dont always catch every problem in inspections. i would know because im a lube tech. next time it leaks try to determine what kind of fluid it is. axle grease is like mud but grayish in color.

Well the thing is it was only a few spots and has stopped. I inspected the boot thoroughly. If it's leaking I have no idea from what, but i'm going to keep a closer eye on it as well as the other parts

tuktownAZ
04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
bump

bb4arson
04-29-2009, 11:31 PM

holly crap 380! way to much lol what a rip off:thumbsdown: