PDA

View Full Version : How to properly launch FWD

ICD
12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
fairly simple post what and how you do to properly launch honda/integra or just any fwd. how to launch with drag radial ,slicks, and street tires. any knowledge i guess is better then wat i have(rev and dumn clutch:()please shed some light on this for me...thanks

Acurazor
12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
On street tires it helps alot to feather it out. Dont' just dump it, and don't redline to launch. You just have to practice. Don't be trying to feather it out on a stock clutch though, it'll be gone in no time. Launching really cant be taught though, needs to be learned. Every car/engine/tranny setup will react different.

fuccarlos
12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
get a staging brake and preload the clutch

AZ_CIVIC
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
If running a turbo what I do, is a nice 2nd or 3rd gear burn out, have boost by gear and launch out of first with low boost and also have a two step so you can build boost before your launch, then dump the clutch and take off.

moparfan
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
i launched my civic a little too hard a couple weekends ago and destroyed my final drive gear/counter shaft...it launched good but had wheel-hop...just as i was about to lift *BAM* too late...using bfg drag radials...i was hoping for a broken axle...those Raxles are pretty strong i guess.

**i would definitely "feather" the launch**

next upgrade will be some sort of traction bars...

ICD
12-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Preload?????

Dead Bird
12-20-2008, 01:21 PM
moparfan i had the same problem in my DA integra.
except my differential gave out at the launch.

Stock car.
Shitty Street tires.
5,500 launch cuz i was hopping at 5.
wanted to try it.
wanna get to the track and see what my numbers will be with the new setup.
anybody have a fire jacket i can borrow? pants too probably?

ICD
12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
moparfan i had the same problem in my DA integra.
except my differential gave out at the launch.

Stock car.
Shitty Street tires.
5,500 launch cuz i was hopping at 5.
wanted to try it.
wanna get to the track and see what my numbers will be with the new setup.
anybody have a fire jacket i can borrow? pants too probably?

exactly why i need some good pointer before i go back to the track with something new and dont wana break.. just tryin to get pointed in the right direction

johnb20
12-20-2008, 11:56 PM
get some 23 or 241/2 slicks put the air presure at 10psi do a good burn out and lunch at 7k and hold on!

ICD
12-21-2008, 10:04 AM
^^ not going to be needing slicks just yet...mainly just d/r

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN
12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
just get out there and practice, you could get all the tips in the world but they make any difference til you see what everything feels like....

when i used to run weekly at firebird your launches would have to change with how well or not so well they prepped the track.

its kind of like the road race/autoX fellers woud say, no replacement for seat time.

that one guy
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
one word: Preloading

ICD
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Preloading=???
And to mr caveman I get way your but just tryn to get pointed in the right direction. On here alone u got already 3 different techniques which I will b tryn.just tryn to get out the rev And dumb

jdmhoe20
12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
well just start to ease out of the clutch then once you feel it grab dump it and you wont spin as bad with any type of tire its just like all wheel drive cars and normally helps if you have 2 step or line lock whatever you wanna call it depends on if your older or not

2fst4door
12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
i launched my civic a little too hard a couple weekends ago and destroyed my final drive gear/counter shaft...it launched good but had wheel-hop...just as i was about to lift *BAM* too late...using bfg drag radials...i was hoping for a broken axle...those Raxles are pretty strong i guess.

know someone that does real good traction bars for cheap. pm if your interested

Mop
12-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Preloading=???
And to mr caveman I get way your but just tryn to get pointed in the right direction. On here alone u got already 3 different techniques which I will b tryn.just tryn to get out the rev And dumb

I think i read a while back about preloading. Before you light the staging lights, let off your clutch until you feel it grab. Keep your clutch in that position. Pull up your ebrake once you light up the staging lights. You can guess the rest.

michalo187
12-23-2008, 02:53 AM
If running a turbo what I do, is a nice 2nd or 3rd gear burn out, have boost by gear and launch out of first with low boost and also have a two step so you can build boost before your launch, then dump the clutch and take off.

:you rock: this is almost exactly to what I do, I have launch control with my hondata build up some boost take off and shift to second when its burning out and keep the tires burning. At the light I pull the handbrake then pull the clutch out until i feel the car move a bit an then take off at the 3rd yellow light because by the time everything reacts it will be green and you will have a good reaction time, it works everytime for me. I ran bf goodrich 215/60/14 drag radials. Click on the link on my sig to see the video of my run, once i get it running i will post a video of my burnout at the track hopefully by IFO.

Also watch these two videos they give great demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkmUBqCaqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElOGe2B3FSw

aznkid4now
12-23-2008, 10:53 AM
whats preloading

bumpstick
12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
whats preloading
all the shit everybody else just said. you know how you can hold your car on a hill or at a stoplight, with a little bit of throttle and letting out the clutch real slowly? it doesn't go forward and it doesn't roll backwards? That's how you do it. A pound of pressure less or more and your car will roll back or take off.

ICD
12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I think i read a while back about preloading. Before you light the staging lights, let off your clutch until you feel it grab. Keep your clutch in that position. Pull up your ebrake once you light up the staging lights. You can guess the rest.

whats preloading
:thumbup:

johnb20
12-23-2008, 10:17 PM
if your not using slick for drag racing your was your time.its almost impossible to not peel out on a fwd.if you feathering your clutch your burning it up bad!! full throttle all the way!! no bs feathering here

JDM Jon
12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
just depends on ur car and motor man
and lots of practice

preloading is key like everyone else said
pretty simple

Hopeless EP3
12-24-2008, 05:59 AM
I actually have a question about preloading so I yank the ebrake up and find the sweet spot with the clutch right... so after that do I rev it to my launching point which is 5000-5500 rpm or what do I do? wouldnt my car start moving even tho I have the ebrake up??

Noob question but I wouldnt know the answer unless I ask

michalo187
12-24-2008, 08:19 AM
I actually have a question about preloading so I yank the ebrake up and find the sweet spot with the clutch right... so after that do I rev it to my launching point which is 5000-5500 rpm or what do I do? wouldnt my car start moving even tho I have the ebrake up??

you gotta keep the clutch half engaged if not yes it will start rolling, so you just gotta find that sweet spot.

bumpstick
12-24-2008, 10:52 AM

you shouldn't rev that high if you're on street tires, cuz when you dump the wheels are just gonna spin or you're going to hook up and break an axle. it'll be a bitch getting home without a spare. everytime you are at a stoplight out on the street, practice preloading and figure out at what rpm does your car pull forward without smoking the tires or bogging down. granted this rpm point will change when you're at the track cuz it's a different surface but it will give you a good starting point.

ICD
12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
^:thumbsup:

Hopeless EP3
12-24-2008, 05:40 PM
you shouldn't rev that high if you're on street tires, cuz when you dump the wheels are just gonna spin or you're going to hook up and break an axle. it'll be a bitch getting home without a spare. everytime you are at a stoplight out on the street, practice preloading and figure out at what rpm does your car pull forward without smoking the tires or bogging down. granted this rpm point will change when you're at the track cuz it's a different surface but it will give you a good starting point.

Thank you good info right here

moparfan
12-26-2008, 06:55 AM
know someone that does real good traction bars for cheap. pm if your interested

pm'd you...

redwidow
12-26-2008, 12:49 PM
if you have a twin disc clutch and 2 staging with 22 psi i recomend not dumping the clutch:) or do and just have axels on stand by..i sheard the DS axel by the rubber boot closer to the intermediate shaft..chitty

michalo187
12-26-2008, 03:18 PM
if you have a twin disc clutch and 2 staging with 22 psi i recomend not dumping the clutch:) or do and just have axels on stand by..i sheard the DS axel by the rubber boot closer to the intermediate shaft..chitty

:cool: that must have be crazy

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-26-2008, 07:45 PM
you want a little bit of spin. on my setups i set 2 step relatively low most times on street tires. you dont need to really get in it to hard on streets on a light wheel... first gear is relatively short. the stickier tires the harder you can drive it in first.

randizle
12-27-2008, 03:39 AM
to properly launch your car you have to point the hole thing strate into the air like the NASA - Space Shuttles do, plus you have to buy big rockits and have thoes instaled to"properly launch":clapper:

guerrero
12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
cool man

ICD
12-28-2008, 03:34 PM
to properly launch your car you have to point the hole thing strate into the air like the NASA - Space Shuttles do, plus you have to buy big rockits and have thoes instaled to"properly launch":clapper:

But how would do this and not scratch my paint? Or bumpers:whatever:

randizle
12-28-2008, 04:31 PM
^^^English brother.

SteadyBoostin
12-28-2008, 07:57 PM
rev to 10k..drop clutch.....do not feather....1st gear alllll the way down the track...rev limiter FTW:rflmao:

cowtown
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Step 1. Buy an evo Step 2. Rev the car to redline Step 3. Drop the clutch like all the rich aZn`s in the bay area.

Thats how you launch.

randizle
12-28-2008, 09:36 PM
rev to 10k..drop clutch.....do not feather....1st gear alllll the way down the track...rev limiter FTW:rflmao:

that's what i'm talkin about.:thumbsup:

boymeetsfence
12-28-2008, 10:19 PM
At firebird in my pretty stock Prelude the best launch for me was around 3000-3500 RPM and dump all the way at the last yellow. Best reaction was .004 (I think, been a long time) and best time was 15.412 @ 90.something

I hope that helps as far as close to stock launching... But I agree with everyone else, you gotta feel it out and do what yields your car's best time

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-30-2008, 03:35 AM
usually dumping the clutch and feathering the throttle has yielded me better results than running the clutch out just imo of course. just go out and try...

SlowLS
12-30-2008, 08:57 AM
This is how I launch.....+/- comments welcome, i f im doing it wrong, tell me how tofix it.

My set up is simple; d16y8, skunk2 mani, OBX65mm TB, TB Spacer, Skunk2 megapower full cat back exhaust, OBX Test Pipe, header, Short Ram intake. I usually run with no ac belt or Power Steering Belt, It may not add a significant amount of power but i want to squeeze as much as i can out of my single cam

I launch at 4500, any higher and the wheels spin way to much and lower and it kinda takes off shitty. i drop my tire pressure to 25lbs and do a small tire burn out to warm them up a little and get them sticky. and preload it on the line and take off as soon as i see the second yellow - in doing that my reaction time is usually around .08

SlowLS
12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Step 1. Buy an evo Step 2. Rev the car to redline Step 3. Drop the clutch like all the rich aZn`s in the bay area.

Thats how you launch.

step 4 you just killed your motor:lame:

jfizzzle
12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
^^ or blew up a clutch/flywheel and shrapnel goes through the firewall and tears up your interior or even yourself.

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
for sure lol... the way your launching os fine bro. its not to hard just go out and do it...

smoovy
01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
people think because they have an evo that there invisible...lol you have no clue. they have the worst transmission...in order to get a reputable tranny you'll shell out some doe for a shep tranny (http://www.sheptrans.com/index.htm) . and they eat CLUTCHES....lol. A nice piece of engineering....lol

anyway I am running 24.5 slicks on my set-up. I usually start with a good burnout in 1st gear. I haven't tried it in 2nd but in 1st gear, it's not even that easy to get those slicks to spin. I then pull to the line and preload ( slipping the clutch with E-brake up) and of course when the light hits the 3rd yellow I drop the e-brake and off I go. I get GREAT traction. so I'm not too worried there. I just need more seat time.

bumpstick
01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I launch at 4500, any higher and the wheels spin way to much and lower and it kinda takes off shitty. I drop my tire pressure to 25lbs and do a small tire burn out to warm them up a little and get them sticky. and preload it on the line and take off as soon as i see the second yellow - in doing that my reaction time is usually around .08
are you talking about street tires? because you can't heat up street radials by doing burnouts on them. you're just wasting rubber.

smoovy
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
are you talking about street tires? because you can't heat up street radials by doing burnouts on them. you're just wasting rubber.

lol...I tell people all the time when there trying to do a burnout before they race on street tires that there just wasting rubber.....lol

95GSR
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
so preloading is that specific spot where when you are taking off, the car shakes or (vibrates) as you move?:poke:

smoovy
01-02-2009, 01:42 PM
so preloading is that specific spot where when you are taking off, the car shakes or (vibrates) as you move?:poke:

ummmmm.....NO....... that's break your axle and diff wheel hop shake.....lol the " I need a traction bar and alignment shake"....

SlowLS
01-07-2009, 01:44 PM

nope, i did it on street slicks....now, im not gonna prep the tires cause all i have now are kuhmo ecsta's

ICD
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
keep them coming

ashtonsturboser
01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
crappy 1st gear burnout, staged, 4500 rpm with ebrake up and preloaded drivtrain, tree lit up and i punched the throttle to floor bouncing the 7800 rpm rev limiter, 3rd yellow light ebrake drop and dump the clutch, slicks spun a bit off the line but pulled like a mad cow all the way through 1st gear, it was over before i knew it. This equated to a 1.71 60ft. First time out on slicks, i just knew what i was doing, haha

I feel i could have gotten a low 1.6 60ft had i done a nice 2nd gear burnout to really heat the slicks up. Cuz 1st gear just wouldnt really do the job, haha.

rotneg
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
preloading is when you put tension on the transmission and axles when you roll to the line drive all the way up dont coast and stop which means you have to go slow which leaves all the pressure on your driveline, the most common reason people break axles is that you launch when there is no tension and the first intial snap of pressure is going to break something the track is flat so rolling back is not a issue and if you slip your clutch like you would on a hill you are going to roll even if you dont roll you are wearing the fuck out of your clutch and i dont know about you but i dont want to replace my clutch. if you do roll up to the line you can ebrake up and put tension on your tansmission but leaving you brake up sounds like alot of extra work to run a good time not to mention you have to react and releas your brake, good luck and dont break things

Ryan
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

X2, same thing happened to me at speedworld. Thanks to Tage for a perfectly rebuilt Tranny :thumbsup:

Good Launch =
*Falken Azenis RT-615's (if you need DOT)
*All stiffer lower control arm bushings (Energy's Polyurethane)
*Stiffer Engine Mounts (Hasport's)
*Some kind of decent torque dampener
*Traction bars (w/engine mount is a plus)
*Decent suspension set up
*A good 3-Point front Strut bar
*Some kind of lower arm stabilizer (I.E. "H" brace)
*An affordable LSD is also a good option for better launches
*Then you will need to get some Skills :)

After getting all that stuff installed take all your skills to the track and fail a few times like the rest of us until you figure out the specific demands of you vehicle. Every car is different. Hope that helps :)

1lowtacoma
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
your first time is gonna suck if it isnt seat time does just fine to

trusohc
02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
i use slicks warm them up launch on idle and spray all the way it works out pretty good because otherwise ill spin out even t the slicks

Ryan
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
i use slicks warm them up launch on idle and spray all the way it works out pretty good because otherwise ill spin out even t the slicks

Geez, you must be putting down some serious WHP to launch at idle. I could not even launch at idle in my 8-71 Blower 502 SS Chevelle. :but:

Mr.Burner
02-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Just go...........Wawm bum bum bum bu bum bu bum bum bum bum bwahhhhhNAAHHHH! bam 12's.

smoovy
02-12-2009, 02:09 AM
launching at idle on slicks? and then the slicks slip? you must run 9's or you need to find a better sized slick for your application. what brand slicks are you using? Mickey Thompson is my weapon of choice. I can't get away from that lovely L8 compound. what is your class if you don't mind me asking..ie. all motor, forced induction?

RICK's-TOWING
02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
This is how I launch.....+/- comments welcome, i f im doing it wrong, tell me how tofix it.

My set up is simple; d16y8, skunk2 mani, OBX65mm TB, TB Spacer, Skunk2 megapower full cat back exhaust, OBX Test Pipe, header, Short Ram intake. I usually run with no ac belt or Power Steering Belt, It may not add a significant amount of power but i want to squeeze as much as i can out of my single cam

I launch at 4500, any higher and the wheels spin way to much and lower and it kinda takes off shitty. i drop my tire pressure to 25lbs and do a small tire burn out to warm them up a little and get them sticky. and preload it on the line and take off as soon as i see the second yellow - in doing that my reaction time is usually around .08

Warming up street tires that are not a drag radial...ect. does nothing but drag water on the track. they do not get sticky.

Civic2000si
03-22-2009, 11:17 AM
preloading is the best, but your clutch will be fucked

KseriesEK
06-29-2009, 07:57 PM
for street tires i usually stage at 4k but dont floor it. just wait till it grips then floor that bitch! for Drag slicks/drag radial i stage at 5k till the 2nd yellow light hits, i do the 2-step at 6700 rpm...REMEMBER 2-STEP is only for the people who has HONDATA/ K-PRO/ Neptune ecu...etc.....

Fresh_manny21
06-30-2009, 08:50 PM
launch it like a man

RICK's-TOWING
06-30-2009, 08:55 PM
rev it as high as you can and drop the clutch.......dont be a pussy....shit will hold i promise.

KingDingaLing
06-30-2009, 09:33 PM
rev it as high as you can and drop the clutch.......dont be a pussy....shit will hold i promise.

thats what i like to do. bounce off my 9k rev limiter and dump the clutch

ashtonsturboser
07-01-2009, 09:32 AM
thats what i like to do. bounce off my 9k rev limiter and dump the clutch

exactly what i do. Slicks, preload, yellows fall and throttle to the floor and down the ebrake and up the clutch at the same time and done, car is like a bat outta hell. 8k rev limiter launch on a big boosted setup. You dont need no two setp and dont need to build boost off the line on a big boosted setup. Your gonna spin the slicks in 1st gear no matter anyways. Might as well spin them a little faster so they pull a little harder. haha

Neways just ask two local srt4's with two step's how they got their ass handed to them on a silver platter off the line by plain out good driving on street tires. I was on 195's while both of them were on 225 bfg's haha. Owned by a good 1 1/2 cars just through 1st gear and launch. about a 4k launch feathering the clutch and partial throttle to keep the tires from blowing off.

smoovy
07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
on 24.5" slicks, I launch between 6500-7000, engaging 2 step and anitlag. anything less than this and the car bogs badly. I can probably go higher, but I think this is the sweet spot for my setup. my PB 60' of 1.79, but I think I can do better.lol

RICK's-TOWING
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
on 24.5" slicks, I launch between 6500-7000, engaging 2 step and anitlag. anything less than this and the car bogs badly. I can probably go higher, but I think this is the sweet spot for my setup. my PB 60' of 1.79, but I think I can do better.lol

you have a 2-step and anti lag???? thats odd.....

turbo18vtec
07-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Rick your a dick that's why I like you.

to launch your car be a man and two step it then side step the clutch.

turbo18vtec
07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Rick your a dick that's why I like you.

to launch your car be a man and two step it then side step the clutch.

smoovy
07-10-2009, 05:08 PM
that's right rick, I have use 2 step with antilag, or in correct terms "fuel enrichment/ignition retard" . I use it in conjuction with my 2 step. I am using Neptune Demon RTP. make sense to you? do you need a little educating on this?

Antilag, what it is on H-T and what it does (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1753767&highlight=antilag%3F)

3-Step launch control with anti-lag and tps activation

Anti-Lag evo(drag style) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfUbFR-x7g)

The way it works is that when the driver lets off of the throttle, the Misfiring System (another name for it) retards ignition timing enough to allow fuel to enter the exhaust manifold, where it burns instantly from coming in contact with the hot manifold. The result is that it will keep a turbocharger spooled up at all times, along with an unmistakable BANG-BANG backfire. The downside is that you'll hear several loud backfires when letting off of the throttle, as well as putting a heavy strain on the exhaust system and turbo itself. In competition use where Anti-Lag is permitted (WRC Rally Racing for example), teams often swap turbos out after every couple stops as a precautionary measure.

Anti-lag Subaru( Rally Style) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAPpsL2xOU)

I guess the term is thrown out there to describe the spooling of the turbo when there is no load. weather it be rally or drag. you get it?

RICK's-TOWING
07-10-2009, 06:06 PM
that's right rick, I have use 2 step with antilag, or in correct terms "fuel enrichment/ignition retard" . I use it in conjuction with my 2 step. I am using Neptune Demon RTP. make sense to you? do you need a little educating on this?

Antilag, what it is on H-T and what it does (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1753767&highlight=antilag%3F)

Anti-Lag evo(drag style) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfUbFR-x7g)

Anti-lag Subaru( Rally Style) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTAPpsL2xOU)

I guess the term is thrown out there to describe the spooling of the turbo when there is no load. weather it be rally or drag. you get it?

nope makes perfect sense. i knew they used it in rally as far keeping the turbo spooled. what do you use it on...as far as car and type of racing? just wondering.

smoovy
07-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I use this on my integra for drag use. on a 2 step from Uberdata and crome, I was able to build 1-2psi if I was lucky revving the hell out of my engine. now, I don't have to rev the piss out of it and build anywhere from 12-20PSi off the line. it makes for a better launch for me, and it doesn't bog, because the momentum of the engine and everything else is there. If I could mess around with my AVCR and change a few settings in Neptune, I can probably limit my launch boost utilizing boost by gear in my AVCR to further tune my launch settings.

4_door_gsr
07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
what kind of axels are you running it is smart to preload the clutch and axels if you have stock ones.

honda virgin
07-25-2009, 06:25 PM
GREAT INFO FELLAS....i strongly agree with the"peloading" but u will risk ur clutch life just make sure u dont hold too long or ur clutch is gone...awesome teknique tho very good just has to be mastered....correct pressure on clutch n perfect revs....oh and quick hands to release that e brake hahahaha

usdm420
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'll throw out how I used to launch...varies from motor to motor.

B16:

I would rev up to about 6K, dump the clutch.....and feather the THROTTLE till I felt the tires catch, then it was all downhill from there. That went for street tires. I up'd the rev to about 7K with slicks.

*shrug* The motor makes all it's power in VTEC. If you are drag racing, why would you EVER want to be out of your powerband?

My old LS motor I would dump the clutch at about 3500, and again...feather the throttle.
Feathering the clutch will just burn your shit up.

My old K20 I would launch at about 4500...and feather throttle.