PDA

View Full Version : DIY "Home Depot" lip?

Daddy_Digital
12-20-2008, 11:20 PM
What materials are used to make a home depot lip? i read it was called that..maybe its called another name. Looks pretty easy. But im the type of person who wants to know what i will need to get the results i want. no half ass shit. anyways..

(Joshdc2's car used for example)

Honduhluv
12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Gardening section. Those are used to help keep grass from growing outside of its area.

boostfedevo
12-21-2008, 09:12 AM
can't believe this is a growing fad.....

what's next ? arcade joysticks used as shift knobs?

jus-lookn03
12-21-2008, 09:21 AM

so is selling fake si leather seats, so each his own:offtopic2:

JoshDC2
12-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Contact slowcivichmm he is the original

Honduhluv
12-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I might wanna do this to my front? But mold it to the bumper?? Cheap diy lip.

Honduhluv
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the idea.

EkFeen1
12-21-2008, 11:00 AM
ugly as fuk

jakellama123
12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
this is half assing it

boostfedevo
12-21-2008, 03:07 PM
so is selling fake si leather seats, so each his own:offtopic2:

yep :doobie: whatever you say pumpkin sugar buns.

Daddy_Digital
12-21-2008, 04:13 PM
ive seen local guys do this and even road racers do this. is it bad cus its cheap and not a jdm part lol? if its done right, i think it looks good.

jakellama123
12-21-2008, 06:43 PM
maybe if you found a way to get mount it besides alot of screws
and teh autocross guys do it cuz it serves a purpose

convert08
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
i couldnt bring myself to do that

Daddy_Digital
12-21-2008, 07:31 PM
maybe if you found a way to get mount it besides alot of screws
and teh autocross guys do it cuz it serves a purpose

whats the purpose?

luissabe
12-21-2008, 08:36 PM
purpose? hmm yeah i guess an si lip has that "downforce" purpose and all that shit right? LOL

Rufus
12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
This doesn't look good at all. Baby Jesus weeps for you people.

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 12:00 AM
i won't help anyone with this lip unless they are on track!!

Mine and Josh's serve a purpose.....END RANT!

SiR Mikey
12-22-2008, 02:01 AM
this is half assing it

Lol THANK YOU!

I think the only person that can pull this off is SlowCivicHmm (for obvious reasons)

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 02:08 AM
^^^ thx.....but josh is up there...not quite a G of it yet....

Daddy_Digital
12-22-2008, 07:19 AM
ok WTF is the purpose then? you guys wanna be all self righteous and talk smack about it...enlighten us. some peeps obviously dont know the deal about it and slap it on thier car not knowing whats the PURPOSE.

i just want to know why people do this and if there is any kind of gain from this. i woyldnt do this to my own car.

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
see my avatar...add common sense.....done.....

Rufus
12-22-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't get why it's obvious? I know you track your car, I just don't see the advantage of the lip?

Agent Smith
12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
the lip=the gay

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't get why it's obvious? I know you track your car, I just don't see the advantage of the lip?

once I add my splitter it will make sense....

the lip=the gay

you are fired!! lol...see above....

Rufus
12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Nothing from Home Depot on a Civic makes sense.... except this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/paulbubel/cardboard_ricer.jpg

EG6_SiR
12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
i dont understand y ppl do this... are you even reinforcing it somehow? if you get moving at decent speeds that flimsy thing will just buckle over

jakellama123
12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
leave your car with no lip or get a real lip
end of story
and make it polyurethane so it doesnt crack

jakellama123
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
. i woyldnt do this to my own car.

sounded like you wanted to in your first post.... :smirk:

Rufus
12-22-2008, 10:46 AM

lol no doubt

jakellama123
12-22-2008, 10:54 AM
next is weather stripping for a spoiler....

Agent Smith
12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
once I add my splitter it will make sense....

you are getting promoted!!! lol...see above....
Fixed it for ya ;) :snookems:

purposeful or not there are some things that are just ugly. Don't get me wrong, I have a few ugly pieces on my cars that serve purposes too. So long as it make YOU happy :thumbsup: but it does not make me happy to see lawn decor on a hatch :sucker: When your car starts running laps around me, maybe I'll start shopping at homodepot too :lmao:

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
i dont understand y ppl do this... are you even reinforcing it somehow? if you get moving at decent speeds that flimsy thing will just buckle over

LOL....its sturdy as fuk!!! You guys don't understand.....lol

I hit mine all over on track!! or from brake dip......see avatar, thats at full speed...mini behind me...

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM

purposeful or not there are some things that are just ugly. Don't get me wrong, I have a few ugly pieces on my cars that serve purposes too. So long as it make YOU happy :thumbsup: but it does not make me happy to see lawn decor on a hatch :sucker: When your car starts running laps around me, maybe I'll start shopping at homodepot too :lmao:

we'd never be in same class in TT or TA or Race Group.....you are not my concern...lol...BOOOST OWNS YOU IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE!!

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
end of story

find me a track car (that sees track time & not built for the look) that has a real lip?? Oh yeah...it has to be a non sponsored car......Phil don't count...thats ROBLES $$$......GO.....

Most track people use plywood for splitters....and other things to help aid in track ability.....you should see this Bimmers rear trunk lip....

SiR Mikey
12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I can completely see why SlowCivicHmm and others who track their car would do this. Racing is expensive and if you can cut corners to make shit cheaper yet still benefit you, then by all means I would do it too. This quickly turned into a fad. Not because it looks good, but because people are fucking cheap asses who want to be cool at the lowest cost possible and when people talk shit they can say it "serves a purpose".

Rufus
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Sweet, then tell what what purpose it serves at the track already!!!!!!!

Geesh.

Once you tell us we'll drop it already and concede that you are, in fact, the most brilliant man alive.

RhdRicheeee
12-22-2008, 02:49 PM
unless you road race dont do it

looks like shit

boostfedevo
12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
unless you road race dont do it

looks like shit

agreed.

vtakdis
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
eh there are definatly better versions of this home depot lip lol..

Totally different then whats posted but at leat no screws.. and was bought for @ 15 bucks

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m281/superfastsrt/CarsandSuch203.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/shademg/DSC00161.jpg

Rufus
12-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Better but still cheap....

vtakdis
12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
definatly cheap but 1000x better

S!K
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
i did it cuz it look "MAD JDM, YO!!" lol j/k i did cuz i think it looks pretty sweet. i alread had 90% of the poeple that seen my car in person say it look nice. i also did cuz i dont have lots of cash to spend on a "type-r" lip, unles someone will give me one for free but i doubt it. since it looks like i'll be keeping my car, i have been doing a poormans build to how i like it. i'm not into that "Jdm" shit as much as others. i radther do this than go back out and steal car for a Jdm look. so back to my point. dont do it unless you like it. if your doing cuz others are doing it then its stupid.

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Geesh.

Once you tell us we'll drop it already and concede that you are, in fact, the most brilliant man alive.

you have common sense...apply it, and you'll have your answer....lol...hint think "low"

The Punisher
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM

nah, evo's :)

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
OKAY!!

Everyone looks at a lip as a cosmetic thing.....who cares......

FUNCTION over FASHION!!

My lip acts as an air dam....making the front end lower and pushing more air outta the way....

Has anyone seen NASCAR?? low front end??

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT LOOKS.........show cars stay in garages....cars built to be used get abused & destroyed....

I can give a rats ass what my car looks like....I drive it the way I meant to be driven and have yet to have major problems with it......

Anyone that likes the lip and does it and posts pics on there is doing just cuz its a fad........NO ONE here should have this lip to be JDM or increase the looks of the car....it does look like ass......cuz 99% of the cars on AZHT are built for looks or status...cuz not even half get raced on track or strip.....

JoshDC2
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
well there you have it folks

[/THREAD] ?

i think yes

SlowCivicHmm
12-22-2008, 09:27 PM
^^^^^^^ dittto!

jakellama123
12-22-2008, 11:52 PM
find me a track car (that sees track time & not built for the look) that has a real lip?? Oh yeah...it has to be a non sponsored car......Phil don't count...thats ROBLES $$$......GO.....

Most track people use plywood for splitters....and other things to help aid in track ability.....you should see this Bimmers rear trunk lip....

sorry that wasnt aimed at you but dokomun db7 or w/e
its completely cool and serves its purpose on a track car but for a daily leave it stock or get a real lip
didnt clarify

randizle
12-23-2008, 01:27 AM
whether the home depot lip is on the owners car for track use or looks,to bash on it is hipitritacal"sp"

every one lowers there cars so the wheels camber in causing a lot of negitive camber wear,and yet thats "the cool thing to do" the lip is just as dumb as every other mod you can do to a car so let folks do what they want to do :)

damn im smart.

boostfedevo
12-23-2008, 04:27 AM
nah, evo's :)

w000h000 :hit:

SlowCivicHmm
12-23-2008, 04:30 AM
whether the home depot lip is on the owners car for track use or looks,to bash on it is hipitritacal"sp"

every one lowers there cars so the wheels camber in causing a lot of negitive camber wear,and yet thats "the cool thing to do" the lip is just as dumb as every other mod you can do to a car so let folks do what they want to do :)

damn im smart.

Some people want camber though...lol

S!K
12-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Some people want camber though...lol

x2 but just like they want the camber others want the "HomeDepot" lip.thats the reason why i got it. now i might just keep it cuz i have been reading up on auot x-crossing and that something i'm looking forward to. does anyone know the az website for the auto-x i'm looking to ask what class i fall in and what else i need.

Rufus
12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
OKAY!!

FUNCTION over FASHION!!

My lip acts as an air dam....making the front end lower and pushing more air outta the way....

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT LOOKS.........show cars stay in garages....cars built to be used get abused & destroyed....

I can give a rats ass what my car looks like....I drive it the way I meant to be driven and have yet to have major problems with it......

Anyone that likes the lip and does it and posts pics on there is doing just cuz its a fad........NO ONE here should have this lip to be JDM or increase the looks of the car....it does look like ass......cuz 99% of the cars on AZHT are built for looks or status...cuz not even half get raced on track or strip.....

Exclamation marks - 4
Question marks - 4
Periods - 50

g2integy
12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the idea.

+1 gonna have to try that need the joy stick with the fire button :P

Daddy_Digital
12-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Nothing from Home Depot on a Civic makes sense.... except this

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/paulbubel/cardboard_ricer.jpg

LMAO!! that is genius!

Daddy_Digital
12-23-2008, 03:46 PM

oh no..im just curious. right now i dont even have a project car. too busy with school. but in the mean time, i wanna gain some knowledge:thumbsup:

Daddy_Digital
12-23-2008, 03:47 PM

Geesh.

x2 THANK YOU RUFUS!!

Daddy_Digital
12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
OKAY!!

FUNCTION over FASHION!!

i gotcha..makes total sense now. lemme go slap on on the grocery getter (SUZUKI ESTEEM LOL)

S!K
12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
does anyone have the az autox website?

SlowCivicHmm
12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SCCA+AZ+Autocross&aq=f&oq=

google owns you!!

randizle
12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
like i said before rufus deleted my post.
randizle=1

rufus=0

Vtecracer
12-23-2008, 05:27 PM

I can run laps around you Justin...

heheh, and my lip was less than $75 shipped.

just kidding bud

her$leeper
12-23-2008, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=boostin22pounds;1263751]eh there are definatly better versions of this home depot lip lol..

Totally different then whats posted but at leat no screws.. and was bought for @ 15 bucks

do you have a full pic of that srt 4

SiR Mikey
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
OKAY!!

FUNCTION over FASHION!!

Just give up. You're better off arguing with a retard.

Wait a minute..

Agent Smith
12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
I can run laps around you Justin...

heheh, and my lip was less than $75 shipped.

just kidding bud
LINK? I have a '94-97 front end lacking something :grin:

& No doubt that a decently set-up car with an experienced driver on R-comp's would destroy my novice ass on street tires. Jose's car is just so slow I have nothing to worry about, haha.

Rufus
12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
like i said before rufus deleted my post.
randizle=1

rufus=0

It's Kinetic d00d, he's like teh GAWDfasha.

JoshDC2
12-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Jose's car is just so slow I have nothing to worry about, haha.

thats messed up im not gunna lie

CTR-REX
12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
eh there are definatly better versions of this home depot lip lol..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/shademg/DSC00161.jpg

Ok so I know the original lip we were talking about was a piece of gardening trim. Can you tell us what section of home depot these pieces are from??

randizle
12-23-2008, 10:28 PM
It's Kinetic d00d, he's like teh GAWDfasha.

just wondering have you ever been in a mental facility ?
i pulled up your profile at one of the mental institutions i used to work at lol

BlownspeakerBoX
12-23-2008, 11:30 PM
clean civic

Agent Smith
12-24-2008, 12:12 AM
thats messed up im not gunna lie

lol. it's all fun & games :grin: hell my car doesn't even run right now :crazy:

B16offuryz
12-24-2008, 01:15 AM
i won't help anyone with this lip unless they are on track!!

Mine and Josh's serve a purpose.....END RANT!

d00dz give the the secrets for stop and go traffic lipz!~

lol x2 jose's! lip has a purpose and funtional!

SlowCivicHmm
12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
thx shorty!!

Rufus
12-24-2008, 08:36 AM
just wondering have you ever been in a mental facility ?
i pulled up your profile at one of the mental institutions i used to work at lol

Did you ever work at the toilet store? Because I saw your name tag there.

SlowLS
12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
dont waste your money, that lip looks hideous! if you want a cheap lip go to versus and get one for 80 bucks

randizle
12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Did you ever work at the toilet store? Because I saw your name tag there.

yea thats where i work right now actually.

the vtec turbo flush modles are in the back room,come in and see me for a hott deal elsinyour rufus:)

Rufus
12-24-2008, 06:20 PM
lolz

BlueTeg
12-25-2008, 12:48 AM

Why can't you believe cause it doesn't look tiiight? :thumbdown:

Arcade joysticks offer no performance value over a regular shift knob. :)
Not likely to become the next 'fad'.

ugly as fuk

It's not meant to be pretty dude.

this is half assing it

If you're trying to win showkaa points at the Pavillions, then yes. You are half assing it with a piece of garden edging affixed to your front lip. Shocker....I know.

This doesn't look good at all.

:broken record: It's not meant to be pretty. Have you seen most of the cars at the track? LOL

Increased aerodynamic efficiency at speed. If you're doing it right, it should be reinforced on the backside, you likely just can't see it from the pics you see on the web.

end of story

Leave your car at the car show or don't leave the garage.
end of story :fart:
PolyU prefabbed lips would be great, if anyone made them in the correct shape to acheive the desired result of what the DIY lip does. I've seen one or two designs out of the hundreds available that make sense for a track application.
PS: garden edging won't crack. :duh:

I can completely see why SlowCivicHmm and others who track their car would do this. Racing is expensive and if you can cut corners to make shit cheaper yet still benefit you, then by all means I would do it too.

Thank you! After 35 fucking posts, someone on this board, that doesn't track their car, that "gets it". :thumbup:

does anyone have the az autox website?

www.azsolo.com

dont waste your money, that lip looks hideous! if you want a cheap lip go to versus and get one for 80 bucks

Spend $15 and some time on something that will improve aero at speed. Result: get laughed at by the parking lot jockies cause you have an ugly/cheap lip - possibly get props at lapping events if it takes a tenth off your lap times.
OR
Spend $80 at Versus on something cheap, non-functional due to the shape, and most likely not very good looking. Result: get laughed at by the parking lot jockies because you have an ugly/cheap lip - get laughed at by the road race guys cause you're rocking rice at the track and still slow.

BlueTeg
12-25-2008, 01:01 AM
The reason Joser, Josh, and others add airdams to their cars is to channel air flow away from the tires and underbody, which reduces lift at higher speeds. Less lift = a more stable car = more traction = more confidence when you're at the limit.

The problem with most commerically available front lips is that:
1.) they don't come low enough to provide any real value in diverting air away from the tires/underbody.
2.) they're usually way more expensive than something that you can create on your own
3.) if we're talking CF or plastic, they're expensive to replace when you crack them. Its not an "if" its a "when".

Mugen has a decent design. It has a uniform front that keeps a constant height at the front of the vehicle, and drops the front of the vehicle about 2.0-2.5" lower to the ground. Ideally it wouldn't have the holes on the ends of it, but I guess you could cover them up with some type of panel or plug for a slippier surface. :shrug: But then all your car show homies would laugh at you, which would defeat the purpose of getting it in the first place. :)

SlowCivicHmm
12-25-2008, 01:26 AM
^^^ someone was bored......thx gabe for the info and for having my back...this board is full of retards..lol

BlueTeg
12-25-2008, 02:05 AM
No prob Joser. I don't think they're retards, I just think they're quick to attack what they don't know...or what they think they know.

-BlueTeg, who will be rocking a pimpy plywood splitter and aluminum airdam sprayed down in Kyrlon matte black for the January event.

Hardparkers: eat my @ss

jdmEG-6
12-25-2008, 05:25 AM
i thinks if your car is fuckn slammed, then yeah sport this lips so you wont have to keep replacing them when they get messedup, but to rock it for shits and giggles, is retarded, dont look good.. fuckn GHETTO FAB!!!

JoshDC2
12-25-2008, 07:58 AM
No prob Joser. I don't think they're retards, I just think they're quick to attack what they don't know...or what they think they know.

-BlueTeg, who will be rocking a pimpy plywood splitter and aluminum airdam sprayed down in Kyrlon matte black for the January event.

i correct my previous /thread

[/THREAD]

MugenMachina
12-25-2008, 10:21 AM
100% function

j/p guys. just don't get carried away...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/capnpen/IMG_0586.jpg

randizle
12-25-2008, 02:24 PM
100% function

j/p guys. just don't get carried away...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/capnpen/IMG_0586.jpg

what has that car been fabracated with?

SlowCivicHmm
12-26-2008, 07:31 AM
i thinks if your car is fuckn slammed, then yeah sport this lips so you wont have to keep replacing them when they get messedup, but to rock it for shits and giggles, is retarded, dont look good.. fuckn GHETTO FAB!!!

did you not read above?? lol

SlowCivicHmm
12-26-2008, 07:31 AM

GANGSTA!!! I need to hit up you or Tage for a pattern of the splitter.....

6pak or 12pak or $$ fee?? I can get someone to do your yard...Tony owes me a favor..hahahhaa

*inFamous*
12-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I like my 'lip' :)

Channeling air away from the underbody and wheels = stability.

Ask josh or corey :)

JoshDC2
12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I like my 'lip' :)

Channeling air away from the underbody and wheels = stability.

Ask josh or corey :)

yea no shit. i did notice how very stable my car felt too on the sedona cruise when we were catching up lol.

much better than my newer civic

jakellama123
12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
either way i feel stable with my car and the wings west lip looks good
i got to 150 on the way back from prescott christmas eve and felt perfectly stable

BlueTeg
12-26-2008, 11:18 PM
either way i feel stable with my car and the wings west lip looks good
i got to 150 on the way back from prescott christmas eve and felt perfectly stable

LOL, I'm done here.

:idiot:

riceboy88
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
LOL, I'm done here.

:idiot:

bahahahahahaha

and

SlowCivicHmm
12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
^^^^ thats one sexy ass car!!!

REQUEST TO CLOSE?? lol

*inFamous*
12-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Request DENIED!

cowtown
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
not feelin it, if you guys want to roll with a home depot lip. Get brick edging, then it looks like a real lip, its call diamond-lok.
Heres a pic on my old s14.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/deanh8/IMG_0833small.jpg

Agent Smith
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
not feelin it, if you guys want to roll with a home depot lip. Get brick edging, then it looks like a real lip, its call diamond-lok.
Heres a pic on my old s14.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/deanh8/IMG_0833small.jpg

what is the point of a lip on a car so high?

SlowCivicHmm
12-28-2008, 10:28 PM
^^^ its only fashionable...

cowtown
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
what is the point of a lip on a car so high?

Sorry forgot this is a honda forum, next time ill post a civic or itr to feed your minds.

BlueTeg
12-28-2008, 10:57 PM
That should read:

what is the point of a *such a short* lip on a car so high?

BlueTeg
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Sorry forgot this is a honda forum, next time ill post a civic or itr to feed your minds.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/aaronmcintire/dumbass.jpg

Agent Smith
12-28-2008, 11:12 PM
did someone say itr?

cowtown
12-28-2008, 11:18 PM
lol I actually put the lip on to cover the intercooler poking out of the bumper, ok there is your answer!

JoshDC2
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
gabe....... what the fuck??
sumo???

SlowCivicHmm
12-29-2008, 01:07 AM
lol I actually put the lip on to cover the intercooler poking out of the bumper, ok there is your answer!

cool that serves your purpose, mad props....as mine serves my purpose, and then we have these JDM nut swingers trying to rock it on the street and be tyte yO! I guess I started a new AZ cheap ass I wanna be cool lip fad....cool!

Yours looks good...I thought the intercooler sneek peek was a trend on 240's...lol

Joser

jakellama123
12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
i like the wheel setup on the 240
just needed a drop

kry181
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
we have these JDM nut swingers trying to rock it on the street and be tyte yO! I guess I started a new AZ cheap ass I wanna be cool lip fad....cool!

who cares? its there car,and all your doing is going in circles talking shit about it "not being cool" unless your on the track. lol its funny

just back off and let people do there thing. if they wanna look dumb than let them.

Agent Smith
12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
...just back off and let people do there thing. if they wanna look dumb than let them.

I for one enjoy laughing at stupidity (both my own & others).

JoshDC2
12-29-2008, 06:56 PM

x13

kry181
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM

well we all do! :) but this thread is going in circles

like we understand the areo of it and its for track use and your dumb if you have it for looks.
but to go this far... come on there's no use.

riceboy88
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
joser and josh lets get one set up for mine

just messing not going to drill into my newer car

JoshDC2
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
well we all do! :) but this thread is going in circles

like we understand the areo of it and its for track use and your dumb if you have it for looks.
but to go this far... come on there's no use.

we are sad bored little people

*inFamous*
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
once again, i <3 my lip :)

OK closed due to stupidy.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/hondatonissan/DSC_0659.jpg