PDA

View Full Version : injector question

ej1ninja
01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
i have a 98 ls teg, i have a turbo kit for it that i want to put on, its already converted to obd-1 also. now, my question is, how safe/reliable is it to run it on 6-8 lbs on stock injectors without a "tune"?

it would just be for a lil while cause im getting rc's and a tune probably within a month after the install, but i just wanna know how safe/reliable it is, considering its my dd.

JDM Jon
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
from what ive heard you should never run a turbo with stock injectors
but if running low boost that might be all u need to change
to be on the safe side id upgrade the fuel system more if it's going to be your daily

ej1ninja
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Jon;1297500']from what ive heard you should never run a turbo with stock injectors
but if running low boost that might be all u need to change
to be on the safe side id upgrade the fuel system more if it's going to be your daily

thanks for the input:hello:

anyone else got any input? the more the better.....

and i understand i should upgrade my fuel system, and i am going to, just not til i get it tuned cause i dont wanna run like a 11:1 ratio lol.........

imm0rtal
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
thanks for the input:hello:

anyone else got any input? the more the better.....

and i understand i should upgrade my fuel system, and i am going to, just not til i get it tuned cause i dont wanna run like a 11:1 ratio lol.........Don't put the turbo on until you have all the parts maybe? I don't know, that sounds like something that would be a wise idea.

ej1ninja
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
so how does your response to my question help me at all?

in no way did you answer how reliable or safe it would be, so instead of replying with a dumbass remark, give me some USEFUL information.

bump

more or less im looking for someone who has/is running there car this way

JDM Jon
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
id google it man
i found tons of stuff on other forums about ppl running stock motors and turbos
thats how i figured stuff out with my motor etc

definitely injectors and u should be good

ej1ninja
01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Jon;1298257']id google it man
i found tons of stuff on other forums about ppl running stock motors and turbos
thats how i figured stuff out with my motor etc

definitely injectors and u should be good

i kno its a good idea, but in a sense, it might not be if its not tuned caused i dont wanna run too rich, id be content if my a/f was like 12.5:1 or higher if untuned but i dont wanna go much richer than that

young_ar
01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
U can run 2-3 lbs. only on stock tuned kuz stock 240cc injectors max out at 180-90 ish whp. But I would not recommend but it's possible.

turbo4dr
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
honestly, if you're getting a tune within a month then just wait off a month, i know it is very temping to put it on now but you would most likely run into problems of running lean and starving your motor of the necessary fuel when F/I

just my opinion

ej1ninja
01-21-2009, 07:31 AM
ok, so my next question is.....

if i got like prelude 310s or dsms, UNTUNED would that be safe on 6 lbs?

or even a chipped ecu with a "basemap" ?

o and what other injector options do i have that are plug and play i.e. no wiring a resistor box besides aftermarket, rc's, etc

turbo4dr
01-21-2009, 07:12 PM
ok, so my next question is.....

if i got like prelude 310s or dsms, UNTUNED would that be safe on 6 lbs?

or even a chipped ecu with a "basemap" ?

o and what other injector options do i have that are plug and play i.e. no wiring a resistor box besides aftermarket, rc's, etc

it would depend on how you drive, two years back when i had my first turbo on my y8 i drove around town on the e-manage (piggyback, which many will say destroys motors like a FMU) and just had an AEM wideband hooked up and i was always keeping a close eye on A/F ratio. But i drove it around for roughly two and half months with no problems, but the motor never saw past 4.5k

also I pretty sure with the dsm blues you would have to wire a resister box in since they are low impedance.

but with larger than stock injectors, a chipped ecu and a not-so-heavy foot im sure you would be fine.

have you already done a compression and leak-down of your motor?

ej1ninja
01-21-2009, 09:55 PM
compression and leakdown results were damn near factory perfect, im the second owner of the car, and it was bone stock besides skunk2 lowering springs when i got it.

with just i/h/e it pulls better than most ls tegs

so thats all gravy

now..

say i get bigger injectors, get a base map chip for the larger injectors and 6lbs, i should be ok right?

and another thought, do rdx, evo, or subaru injectors work in a b series?

18c
01-23-2009, 04:42 AM
First i dont think its ever safe to run it untuned.

The only way you could run stock injectors would be with an FMU which i wouldnt recommend either. This also requires bleeding boost off with checkvalves or using a missing link so the map doesnt detect boost.

any low impedence /peak and hold injectors like dsm450s etc will require a resistor box or inline resistors. Saturated injectors are plug and play, although since your obd2, im pretty sure you would need clips.

If you put larger injectors on, you need to tune it somehow, whether it be the ghetto/halfass way like the afc hack, or getting it atleast street tuned/dynoed. If you just throw larger injectors on, you will flood the cylinders.

In the end, not driving it or pulling off your charge pipe are your best options if you cant get it tuned right now. Buying a chip will make it run alright, maybe good, maybe bad. But you will basically be paying for something that you will be gettin rid of soon.

Im not familiar with suburu/rdx/evo injectors, but a friend of mine ran evo injectors, so they should fit, although i have no clue what type of injectors they are.

ej1ninja
01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
First i dont think its ever safe to run it untuned.

The only way you could run stock injectors would be with an FMU which i wouldnt recommend either. This also requires bleeding boost off with checkvalves or using a missing link so the map doesnt detect boost.

any low impedence /peak and hold injectors like dsm450s etc will require a resistor box or inline resistors. Saturated injectors are plug and play, although since your obd2, im pretty sure you would need clips.

If you put larger injectors on, you need to tune it somehow, whether it be the ghetto/halfass way like the afc hack, or getting it atleast street tuned/dynoed. If you just throw larger injectors on, you will flood the cylinders.

In the end, not driving it or pulling off your charge pipe are your best options if you cant get it tuned right now. Buying a chip will make it run alright, maybe good, maybe bad. But you will basically be paying for something that you will be gettin rid of soon.

Im not familiar with suburu/rdx/evo injectors, but a friend of mine ran evo injectors, so they should fit, although i have no clue what type of injectors they are.

thanks for the info:hello: is there any way you can find out how he used the evo injectors????

and just to refresh my memory, low impeadance/low resistance injectors require resisitor boxes and high impeadance/high resistance/saturated are plug and play correct?

xactdyno
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
yes, low impedance (2-4 ohms) is peak and hold and require a resistor box be wired in. high impedance (12-16 ohms) are the correct match for your ecu but you may find some with plugs that are different than your harness. dsm injectors are pretty common and are 450 or 550cc. the 550s are blue i think and harder to find. all need the resistor box. i think Evo units are different body and will not go right in with your honda fuel rail.

otherwise, just wait and do it all right. SO many customers have jacked their stuff by not waiting or doing it halfassed or rigged and ALWAYS pay the price in the end. since every setup is different, a tune is a must. even more so when you live here and summer temps are 110.

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
01-25-2009, 01:36 AM
the higher the number. ie- 12.5:1 is leaner than 11:1. so you wouldnt want 12.5:1 a/f. stock injectors. atleast throw a 80 dollar fmu or some 440dsms and an AFC for the hack... then the afc and injectors shouldnt run you more than 300bux. i would just pick up something even if it isnt for always. just temporary.

tWeAk_TuNe_kAboOm
01-25-2009, 01:44 AM
jusy fyi you can find numerous sites with write ups on the hack. go take a look and just see if you could handle it alright. then borrow a wideband which you could post up asking to borrow 1. eventually someone will help you. then change the settings to get desired a/f ratios and throw in 2 step colder plugs. you could do it and the afc hack have worked for people numerous proven times. standard chipped ecus wont have a map near what you need and an fmu is something that doesnt really work as effitiently. good luck

ej1ninja
01-25-2009, 03:42 AM
i know how a/f ratios work thanks.

but i still wanna retain some gas mileage.

and from a couple of tuners that are pretty well known that i have spoken to said hey tune it to where the a/f is more towards stoicheometric when you ARENT in boost then it changes over when the map sees boost. and im not gonna put an fmu in my car to DESTROY my injectors/fuel pump caue id rather not put over 100 psi on my stock injectors and pump

JDM Jon
01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
sheesh just hold off and do it right
is there any reason u NEEd to boost ur car right now unsafely?
just wait its not worth it imo

INTEGRA DC2
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Jon;1304833']sheesh just hold off and do it right
is there any reason u NEEd to boost ur car right now unsafely?
just wait its not worth it imo

X2 just wait and do it all at once, if you are going to buy injectors and a afc and spend around the 300 dollars as said above why not just get a tune? if it was my car i wouldn't do it