PDA

View Full Version : recovering carbin fiber

teejaybiz
01-21-2009, 02:06 AM
I recently picked up a dc jdm front end the hood is carbon fiber and its faded and has a couple stress cracks on one of the top corners. Im going to have a shop clear it but what kind of sanding (grits, wet or dry, ect.) to make the hood look good. Also the fenders are fibre as well but they are painted over. How do I strip the paint off and prep to get cleared all over again? Any info, Storys, or links to threads would be great!

homeslice_88ef
01-25-2009, 09:12 PM
For the hood you use 800 grit wet sand paper with a soft sanding block but you dont want to sand all the way to the edges stay about an inch or so away then hit all the edges with some gray scotch bright the fine stuff but becarful not to sand through the clear resin thats allready on the hood decause it will discolor the carbon fiber.

I just did it to mine 2 weeks ago and it came out looking like glass.

mad_jdm98
10-29-2010, 10:39 PM
For the hood you use 800 grit wet sand paper with a soft sanding block but you dont want to sand all the way to the edges stay about an inch or so away then hit all the edges with some gray scotch bright the fine stuff but becarful not to sand through the clear resin thats allready on the hood decause it will discolor the carbon fiber.

I just did it to mine 2 weeks ago and it came out looking like glass.

how about for a wing on an evo 8? its the stock carbon fiber wing. i was planning on just sanding it down with 800 grit sand paper then spraying a few coats of clear

dsack
10-29-2010, 11:09 PM

B00STED
12-08-2010, 02:07 AM
im trying to do a hood is this the way to go??

Mr.Burner
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I recently picked up a dc jdm front end the hood is carbon fiber and its faded and has a couple stress cracks on one of the top corners. Im going to have a shop clear it but what kind of sanding (grits, wet or dry, ect.) to make the hood look good. Also the fenders are fibre as well but they are painted over. How do I strip the paint off and prep to get cleared all over again? Any info, Storys, or links to threads would be great!

If your taking it to a body shop, they should know what grit to use. Or they shouldnt be touching it..

The finer the better, your fenders, i dont see how your gonna remove the paint, just overlay another piece of carbon and have it cleared and buffed...