PDA

View Full Version : Boosting a single cam???

4dr_ed3
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
rufus i expect you to comment in here

I have plans to boost my d17. i have a t3 flanged turbo header on the way but ive never boosted a car b4 so i dont know all the little details on how to go about doing it.
main things i know i need is turbo mani
turbo downpipe
engine management
oil lines intercooler piping and lots of hours of work

Jason.AZ1
01-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Here

Jason.AZ1
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Here some parts you to go boost

-Turbo w/ internal wastegate or external

-Turbo mani

-turbo back exhaust/Downpipe

-bov

-Hondata map sensor

-vacuum mani

-Titan Motorsports Wideband (gauge,controller,02) Its really good and not bad in price

-intercooler pipe/cuppling/clamps have it made from a shop boostflow can or another place

-Kpro/camgear

-tune suggest going to joe

-intercooler

-SRT-4 injectors rsx-s will max out

-fast-turbo.com full oil line kit 99 bucks shipped really cheap and good stuff (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1902396)

-Oil catch can

-air filter for turbo

-BoostGauge

-oil pressureGauge

-oil temp gauge

-water temp Gauge

also just shop around for deals
and search 7thgenhonda

link (http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7347) also once you go farther into the project and still have questions PM speedfoos he knows his shit when it comes to boosted d17

you should of bought my turbo stuff sold it cheap only need a few things to finish it

4dr_ed3
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
picked up a turbo mani for 70 buks shipped im not gonna run to much boost to start so im going with rsx-s injectors for now and im looking for a turbo right now next

Rufus
01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
What mani?

My suggestion? Don't do it. It's not that I don't think you know the headache you're getting into, it's that I don't think you know the headache you're getting into.

Jason.AZ1
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
picked up a turbo mani for 70 buks shipped im not gonna run to much boost to start so im going with rsx-s injectors for now and im looking for a turbo right now next
what mani?
and it's better to do it right the first time.
once your boosted your gonna want to turn it up after you get use to it.
then your gonna have to spend more money.

What mani?

My suggestion? Don't do it. It's not that I don't think you know the headache you're getting into, it's that I don't think you know the headache you're getting into.
word when you go boost plan to have some problems and have backup money saved to fix your motor

4dr_ed3
01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
What mani?

lol ok lol but the turbo is being put together on a seperate motor. im keeping mine so it runs and building the other one im sure ill be getting the srt-4 injectors ne ways but i found the type-s ones for a real nice price so i had to pik em up

Rufus
01-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Here some parts you to go boost

-Turbo w/ internal wastegate or external

-Turbo mani

-turbo back exhaust/Downpipe

-bov

-Hondata map sensor

-vacuum mani

-Titan Motorsports Wideband (gauge,controller,02) Its really good and not bad in price

-intercooler pipe/cuppling/clamps have it made from a shop boostflow can or another place

-Kpro/camgear

-tune suggest going to joe

-intercooler

-SRT-4 injectors rsx-s will max out

-fast-turbo.com full oil line kit 99 bucks shipped really cheap and good stuff (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1902396)

-Oil catch can

-air filter for turbo

-BoostGauge

-oil pressureGauge

-oil temp gauge

-water temp Gauge

also just shop around for deals
and search 7thgenhonda

link (http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7347) also once you go farther into the project and still have questions PM speedfoos he knows his shit when it comes to boosted d17

you should of bought my turbo stuff sold it cheap only need a few things to finish it

You can use your stock MAP sensor. You don't need a wideband. JOe can tune with his and run closed loop with K-pro. You don't need a catch can depending on PSI, and I assume you're not running a lot. You don't need boost guage or oil PSI. In fact, kpro can read it from the MAP and give engine temp as well.

Rufus
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
lol ok lol but the turbo is being put together on a seperate motor. im keeping mine so it runs and building the other one im sure ill be getting the srt-4 injectors ne ways but i found the type-s ones for a real nice price so i had to pik em up

I wish you success Sir.

4dr_ed3
01-21-2009, 10:15 PM
thank you sir what turbo where you using by the way. did you use a dezod kit. i wouldnt mind having the same results if not a little better on the setup that you had.. what where you running

Rufus
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Ummm you can ask Josh at TTM. My turbo came from AZ Turbo, and while pretty powerful for my little car, it was prolly a bit bigger than I needed as it didn't even START to spool until nearly 4k. With a car with NO HP, just getting to 4k took 35 minutes. After that, it was a blast. My kit was pieced together

Kpro w/cam gear
SRT injectors (400cc ish)
Dezod mani
Tial wastegate (7# spring but I rarely saw 6lbs at the MAP according to Kpro.
FAL fans at some ungodly CFM (I'll trade you these plus $40 for your stock ones as they're still on my car. I paid $100+ for them used.)
TTM vacuum block
Everything else was custom fabbed (downpipe thanks to Wadocrx)
Random chargepiping
Ebay BOV (do yourself a favor and buy a REAL BOV unless you're into destroying your turbo)

I made 175whp at about 6lbs. So 200 at the crank I suppose. It was enough to play with Type S's (assuming it was from a roll lol).

Finally, for the love of God put d16yz head studs on it BEFORE ANYTHING. I went through 2 head gaskets.

On the upside, coolant makes a great cleaner for your pistons...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/dallishughes/Civic%20related/DSC_3048.jpg

randizle
01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
just reserch your stuff to find out what you need to do and dont listin to "people who THINK" they know what they are takin about from reading forms all day "jasonaz1 lol" take advice from peep's who have turbod there own cars such as myself or that have boosted cars from factory.

Rufus
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Well Jason has all the basics. It's like reading a service manual. It might SAY you have to remove the alternator to put a new head on but after doing the work, you realize it wasn't neccassary at all. Stuff like that is the difference from reading forums and doing the work.

Jason.AZ1
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
just reserch your stuff to find out what you need to do and dont listin to "people who THINK" they know what they are takin about from reading forms all day "jasonaz1 lol" take advice from peep's who have turbod there own cars such as myself or that have boosted cars from factory.

yet he asked what he needed I posted parts he should buy to have a nice kit for a d17 I searched and I was asking questions left and right when I was going to boost my em2 I didnt want to fuck my car up and wanted it done right the first time also you boosted ur own car?
yet couldnt figure out how to post pictures from a camera go meet some more hoes from myspace, maybe they wont need chapstick.....

Jason.AZ1
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Ummm you can ask Josh at TTM. My turbo came from AZ Turbo, and while pretty powerful for my little car, it was prolly a bit bigger than I needed as it didn't even START to spool until nearly 4k. With a car with NO HP, just getting to 4k took 35 minutes. After that, it was a blast. My kit was pieced together

Kpro w/cam gear
SRT injectors (400cc ish)
Dezod mani
Tial wastegate (7# spring but I rarely saw 6lbs at the MAP according to Kpro.
FAL fans at some ungodly CFM (I'll trade you these plus $40 for your stock ones as they're still on my car. I paid $100+ for them used.)
TTM vacuum block
Everything else was custom fabbed (downpipe thanks to Wadocrx)
Random chargepiping
Ebay BOV (do yourself a favor and buy a REAL BOV unless you're into destroying your turbo)

I made 175whp at about 6lbs. So 200 at the crank I suppose. It was enough to play with Type S's (assuming it was from a roll lol).

Finally, for the love of God put d16yz head studs on it BEFORE ANYTHING. I went through 2 head gaskets.

On the upside, coolant makes a great cleaner for your pistons...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/dallishughes/Civic%20related/DSC_3048.jpg

plus you have that trunk set up in your car and im sure that wiegh a lil bit.
but yeah arp headstuds, when I was talking to speedfoos
about the turbo I bought the t25 should be spooling at 2-3k and full boost 4-5k
that small turbo would be better for a d17

Jason.AZ1
01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
You can use your stock MAP sensor. You don't need a wideband. JOe can tune with his and run closed loop with K-pro. You don't need a catch can depending on PSI, and I assume you're not running a lot. You don't need boost guage or oil PSI. In fact, kpro can read it from the MAP and give engine temp as well.

theres reason to parts I posted heres from speedfoos

Rufus is technically correct for an absolute budget build using kpro, but it's not the way I would do a build. No room for expansion and no way of in-dash monitoring in case something goes wrong.

randizle
01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
yet he asked what he needed I posted parts he should buy to have a nice kit for a d17 I searched and I was asking questions left and right when I was going to boost my em2 I didnt want to fuck my car up and wanted it done right the first time also you boosted ur own car?
yet couldnt figure out how to post pictures from a camera go meet some more hoes from myspace, maybe they wont need chapstick.....

i didint think you did as much reserch as you posted, sounded like your just a poser who googles "what to buy to build a turbo kit" and yes i dont know how to work a digi cam, and yes i have boosted my own car before with around 35-40hp gain on 8lbs wich aint to bad for the cheap shit i bought. i'm a master at my craft not digi cams.

Jason.AZ1
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
rufus i expect you to comment in here

I have plans to boost my d17. i have a t3 flanged turbo header on the way but ive never boosted a car b4 so i dont know all the little details on how to go about doing it.
main things i know i need is turbo mani
turbo downpipe
engine management
oil lines intercooler piping and lots of hours of work

i didint think you did as much reserch as you posted, sounded like your just a poser who googles "what to buy to build a turbo kit" and yes i dont know how to work a digi cam, and yes i have boosted my own car before with around 35-40hp gain on 8lbs wich aint to bad for the cheap shit i bought. i'm a master at my craft not digi cams.

I didnt go into detail i posted parts he should buy to have a nice little boosted
d17, has he said he doesnt know all the details into boosting his car
he can search and ask question on parts he finds like i did

Rufus
01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Geesh kids.

Foos is going for WAY bigger numbers than this guy is. For that reason, I don't think gauges are neccassary. Engine temp and oil pressure are all he needs to worry about, especially if he's only running 310cc rsx injectors that will max out AT OR UNDER 200hp. I ran a t3/t4. A t25 would spool quickly but won't yeild as high of numbers in the end. In all honestly, that plastic intake mani isn't ideal for big volumes of PSI, so mayme the smaller turbo would be a good fit.

speedfoos
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
OK, I created an account on here at Jason's request.

Like I said, what Dallis said about the setup is correct. You can run the stock MAP sensor up to about 7 psi. Kpro will display most of your gauges, but it will not display oil pressure or temperature. The only problem with that is you have to either be running a laptop in the car all of the time or running a carputer so its always displayed. If you aren't, then you have no way of knowing what your car is doing. Sure a tuner can tune your car without a wideband, but that's like an EKG for your newly boosted motor. If you run into a fueling problem, without a wideband you have no way of knowing what's going on. My minimum recommendation for gauges is oil pressure, boost, and a wideband display.

Here's my setup I use in kpro for datalogging and tuning. Notice that's for datalogging and tuning only. I don't want to have my laptop hooked up all of the time.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk253/speedfoos/Diagrams%20and%20Schematics/KproGauges.jpg

Your turbo'd car will only be as reliable as the quality of the parts you put into it, the attention to detail paid during the install, and how much you keep on top of the maintenance of the car afterwards. If the car starts performing below what it used to, you have to take the time (and money) to figure what's wrong and fix it. Don't turn up the radio until the noise goes away. Don't add oil at every fill up to compensate for an oil leak. If you halfass, or pay a shop and they halfass, the install you're going to run into problems. You want three things; fast, cheap, and reliable. Unfortunately you can only have two of those, not all three.

If all you're looking at is quick spooling low power, get a little 50 trim turbo and have fun with it. I told you the specs of my turbo, and it spools fast, but that's because it's a ball-bearing GT30 being fed by PnP head and Crower cam. I also paid through the nose for all of my parts. And yet things have still broken even though I'm a maintenance nazi, but that's because I half-assed a couple things on the install.

Catchcan. You should always run one no matter amount of boost you're running. That's my opinion and some folks will differ with me. Bottom line is that crankcase pressure robs the motor of horsepower and will cause seals to leak. Once the IM pressurizes, the PCV valve can't open and the crankcase can't vent its pressure until you're driving in vacuum again. It's too easy to just run a hose from the PCV valve and valve cover into a vented bottle and eliminate that problem. You don't need to be fancy and provide a vacuum source to the catchcan, or spend $80 on a Moroso can. Two hose ends and a filter stuck on a Monster can (the one with the screw-off cap) will work as a catch can. That's free horsepower and problem prevention right there.

Go spend $20 and buy Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost". Read the whole thing twice and then come back with your questions.

speedfoos
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Look here on how to right-size injectors for your HP goals. Use .55 for the BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption).

http://injector-rehab.com/issg/

Rufus
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I meant they can tune WITH a wideband and then just fix the settings.... but most people on forums like this are too broke after spending $1000 on kpro to spend another 200-300 on a wideband. The advice certainly is good, but 99% of these threads never come to fruition.

speedfoos
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Dallis. That's why I get tired of giving the same advice over and over again to people. Like you said, most usually never end up going through with it, or they buy an Ebay turbo kit and a piggyback and wonder why their shit doesn't run right.

But I still got my Nike boots.

Rufus
01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
lol sounds like you're back in the US too! Congrats.

I can't believe how much change has gone on with the car recently... and the fact that your thread is over 200 pages. haha

speedfoos
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks man! If I can just get this little issue figured out over the weekend, I should be able to break 400 to the wheels when I get it tuned on the 31st. But yeah, nothing like a little run-in with a four legged animal to fund a face change.

Rufus
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Eh I like the 04+ better... that and you did it in no time.

Jason.AZ1
01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
OK, I created an account on here at Jason's request.. thanks

but most people on forums like this are too broke after spending $1000 on kpro to spend another 200-300 on a wideband. The advice certainly is good, but 99% of these threads never come to fruition.
True alot of people dont follow threw with swaps,boost, or builds
but if they do they shouldnt halfass something or rush it if someone just got kpro but doesnt have enough for a wideband they should wait and save a little more and buy it

Yeah, I hear ya Dallis. That's why I get tired of giving the same advice over and over again to people. Like you said, most usually never end up going through with it, or they buy an Ebay turbo kit and a piggyback and wonder why their shit doesn't run right.
But I still got my Nike boots.
word when i first started to buy parts to go boost i was gonna buy
ebay bov/turbo but after you pointed out why not to
i bought a garrett and was going to buy a hks bov

Rufus
01-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Ya, most of the knockoff BOV's either don't work or aren't effective at lower PSI levels.

4dr_ed3
01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
wow i hadent gotten on in a while... i understand that not many ppl go through with there build but im not going to .... i have a spare motor that im going to build so there is no rush to do it. i know if things want to work right you gotta take your time and do it right. Famous frase my dad likes to say so trust me i know.... but if you guys feel like i aint really gonna go through thats fine im not here to prove ne one of nothing im just inquiering information and when i do finish it will be a big accomplishment for so thanks for al the feedback so far

Jason.AZ1
01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
wow i hadent gotten on in a while... i understand that not many ppl go through with there build but im not going to .... i have a spare motor that im going to build so there is no rush to do it. i know if things want to work right you gotta take your time and do it right. Famous frase my dad likes to say so trust me i know.... but if you guys feel like i aint really gonna go through thats fine im not here to prove ne one of nothing im just inquiering information and when i do finish it will be a big accomplishment for so thanks for al the feedback so far

only thing I suggest is larger injectors and mod your fuel so you can adjust it over stock psi which is 43 i think i forgot, and speed knows how to do it i forgot where i found a link for it

Rufus
01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
You mean an FPR?

http://misho.avproxy.net/Aeromotive_Fuel_Pressure_Regulator_Front_View_WEB. jpg

randizle
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
...i have the same one lol

Rufus
01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
...i have the same one lol

I actually searched google images JUST to get that one.

Jason.AZ1
01-24-2009, 11:18 PM
A return style system which incorporates an FPR

4dr_ed3
01-25-2009, 07:27 PM
yeah i was reading through the 200 + pages on foos and i saw that he did the return line and it looks pretty complicated but im not going that far into the build so a return line isnt necessary yet for low boost

Rufus
01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I didn't have one

4dr_ed3
01-26-2009, 06:01 AM
he even said its not necesary. but it is for the amount of boost and fuel hes running. i mean dam the man is running like 31 psi and 1000cc injectors. the most i plan on going after i get my 550cc injectors is like 10 or 12 lbs. and id be good. ill still probly get the walbro 255lph fuel pump to be on the safe side

speedfoos
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
The return setup is actually really easy to do, but you're right, it's not necessary on a low-to-mid boost setup. As long as your injectors will flow the required amount at stock fuel pressure, then you'll be fine.

4dr_ed3
01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
id be fine witha moderate 200whp. just enough to beat on some bseries motors and maybe a couple type s'

Rufus
01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Oh just you wait until you have a dial to control horsepower

4dr_ed3
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
your getting me all excited man

Rufus
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
No your wallet is getting all excited

drift4agze
02-01-2009, 02:24 AM
First i would go to bookmans and get a good book called street turbocharging. dont forget all the nick nacks. I overlooked that shit when i boosted my Z6. All the couplers (dont get rubber) oil supply line and return line and fittings.

4dr_ed3
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
yeah i deff know i gotta put that stuff. but a good book should break it down for me so im very likely to go get one soon. ne 1 know where i can come accross a book like that

Rob x3
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
amazon.com