PDA

View Full Version : help with car leak

turtlespeed
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
i have a 05 civic. i have a leak on the passenger side of the car. does anyone have any idea where the leak might be coming from? it is clear/brown in color and have no smell to it.

EFin4Dr
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
maybe powersteering. check the bellows boots on the rack or the powersteering lines.

turtlespeed
02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
the boots feels dry. I've went under the car to see where the leak is coming from but did not find anything. the subframe and tranny is wet.could it be from the tranny? two of the bolts on the tranny is wet. I've also jack the car up on jack stands and let it ran for 10mins to check for leak but it did not leak when it was on the jack stand.

EFin4Dr
02-04-2009, 01:09 AM
might be the seal to your tranny. just wipe the whole area clean and then check back in a few days. manual tranny fluid is a goldish color so that maybe it.

turtlespeed
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
might be the seal to your tranny. just wipe the whole area clean and then check back in a few days. manual tranny fluid is a goldish color so that maybe it.
i have a automatic, but i think you nail it. i had the driveshaft change on that side a few weeks ago. how hard is it to fix the seal?

EFin4Dr
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
well if it is gold in color it wouldnt be your tranny. auto trans fluid is red in color.

EFin4Dr
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
if it really is goldish brown. it maybe engine oil. could be your rear main seal or oil pan gasket if it is close to the tranny

turtlespeed
02-05-2009, 09:56 PM
my atf is not red :/. it resemble the color of power steering which also look like brake fluid.
i dont think the leak is oil. its more liquidfy. i think I'm just gonna take it to a shop and have it diagnose.

EFin4Dr
02-05-2009, 11:19 PM
your atf isnt red? thats strange.

JC<3Ek
02-06-2009, 01:02 AM
nikka ur car is shit sold that shit and get a manual for a changce..or manual swap yo

OhDang
02-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Is it the water that comes out when A/C's are on? I remember cold water would come out of my cousin's accord when he turned cause something about it was fubar.

JC<3Ek
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
no this dude is my homies...his leak is really wierd compare to what of most i know..but bro..ur tranny fluid is not red ??? wonder why u didnt change it .. and now ur tranny gones..lol..i cant seem to find the leaking color as he describe from anywhere but he stated that is his half shaft. how that possible u just change it few week ago.

turtlespeed
02-06-2009, 08:48 PM
your atf isnt red? thats strange.

i think it used to be red. i haven't change it for 44k miles.

turtlespeed
02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Is it the water that comes out when A/C's are on? I remember cold water would come out of my cousin's accord when he turned cause something about it was fubar.

nope, haven't use ac for a few months.

turtlespeed
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
no this dude is my homies...his leak is really wierd compare to what of most i know..but bro..ur tranny fluid is not red ??? wonder why u didnt change it .. and now ur tranny gones..lol..i cant seem to find the leaking color as he describe from anywhere but he stated that is his half shaft. how that possible u just change it few week ago.

hahaha you wish my tranny is gone, so you don't have to see my tail lights all the time http://www.azht.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif jk.

my car is fine, i just need to fix that leak then give the car back to its original owner http://www.azht.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

i think its the transmission seal.

EFin4Dr
02-07-2009, 12:25 AM
well your tranny fluid wouldnt go goldish color. it would just be a little darker but 44k miles on atf should still keep it a red color.

sniperscout
02-07-2009, 01:35 PM
maybe they put the wrong fluid in...but gear fluid has a really strong smell. have you tried tasting it? I am being serious. if it was power steering or gear oil you would know by the horrible taste

turtlespeed
02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
i haven't tried tasting it, is that safe lol?
the fluids have been in the car since day one, off the dealership lot. i would assume and hope that they use the right fluid :).

if i do a atf flush, drain and refill. if the leak is coming from the tranny, would it leak red. or is there too much old fluid in there that the new red fluid wont make a difference?

sniperscout
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
dont drink it all up just taste a small dab of it...youll be fine...i do it and i only have three arms...its actually kind of useful.

yes if you swap to a red fluid it will come out red

did you buy it new? if not they may not have changed the fluid. Anyone know if honda atf fluid is in fact red since they have their own superior blends

JC<3Ek
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM
every body handle differenyly this nikka is hella skinny he fucked up if he taste thme !!

sniperscout
02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
every body handle differenyly this nikka is hella skinny he fucked up if he taste thme !!

uh what? translation please...anyone here speak idiot?

Analogboy
02-08-2009, 07:06 PM
if you havent changed out your transmission fluid in 44k, it is possible that it may become and orange color, or even brown depending on how hard you drive it. and if you said you replace the cv axle on your passenger side rits possible you damaged the axle seal. its not that hard to replace if your mechanically inclined. also these year civics i known to leak out of the trans dipsticks, the az heat gets to the grommet and shrinks it.

turtlespeed
02-15-2009, 12:33 AM
update: the last person that change my axle used the wrong axle. it was about an inch longer, so it wouldn't fit all the way inside the tranny(where the leak was coming from). most likely a m/t axle. now i got a spare axle for sale if anyone need one http://www.azht.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif. also did a atf drain and refill. wow, my old atf is no where the same color as the new one.