PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarms...Install yourself???

II HUFF II
02-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey there AZHT, just wondering...I'm trying to scrape together my '94 GSR project with a very low budget and I know security is a huge deal. I have been looking at alarms by DEI mainly such as the Hornet...Has anyone installed these alarms themselves? Is it hard? Do I DEFINITELY need an installer? I have been reading up on 12 volt and relay theory and such and am very mechanically inclined but just wondering if this is somethin I should tackle myself thnx.

-Huff

Stock?
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I have installed car alarms and I would say that it is better to actually have a pro do it

turboedsupe
02-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Not true man. Dont install it under the dash man. If you go to a shop and tell them you want a stealth install meaning somewhere hidden besides under the dash there going to charge you a shit load. Im doing my install myself and it doesnt seem too hard. If your not doing remote start there arent that many wires to hook up.

BlownspeakerBoX
02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
if you can make it to phx, Im the guy to hit up...

crx2quik4u
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
blownspeakerbox X2!!! great guy and perfect for the "budget"

ehb/crx
03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
yes. it's not as difficult as it seems

EG6_SiR
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
do it yourself, dont be an idiot and just do a starter kill

BlownspeakerBoX
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
yea do it your self...spend several hours tyring to hook it up with insufficient knowledge and tools. its only your electrical system, fuck it you'll save fifty dollars

advert
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
yea do it your self...spend several hours tyring to hook it up with insufficient knowledge and tools. its only your electrical system, fuck it you'll save fifty dollars

i know this is a old thread. but how did you learn to install alarms?

you got to learn somewhere.

Stock?
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
i know this is a old thread. but how did you learn to install alarms?

you got to learn somewhere.

as for myself i was taught by a very good installer how to install remote starts, then alarms were cake after that.
plus i have a natural understanding of electricity that i have found not many other people have.

BlownspeakerBoX
04-09-2009, 06:07 PM
i have a similar background..previous to installing alarms i was working at a vw speed shop and would frequently rewire and trouble shoot electrical problems. when i got into mobile electornics i learned from a dude in the industry 15+ years.. watched him do alot of custom systems and fiberglass, and bugged the shit out of him with questions...