PDA

View Full Version : Manual Shifting

CoupedUp04
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
My 04 civic is the first 5 speed car i've owned. I learned on a 98 civic and while the basics are similar, there's still some things i'm not sure of. I'm sure i'd find out by trial and error over time but why wait...

The biggest things i've noticed are:

-sometimes when i shift the shifter almost naturally pops out and into the next gear (i've noticed this going from 2nd to 3rd) with very little effort. I figured it was probably because of shifting at a certain RPM, but i' don't have a damn tach so how can i figure this out?

-sometimes even when the clutch is all the way in i have trouble getting into first and rev. i've learned that letting the clutch out a bit helps it pop in, but sometimes it doesn't and i rely on me getting pissed off and slamming the hell out of it until it catches. do i need to take in my car to have them look at this as a possible warranty issue? or is this newbie user error?

as a side note on the first one, i'm not sure yet what tach/mount/pod i'm going to use and i don't want to red line every gear to find out how high it goes. what's the best point, in MPH, to shift each gear?

Thanks for the help people!

sniperscout
02-28-2009, 01:27 AM
your second issue could be the clutch or synchros

i highly recommend not slamming it into gear if you dont want to replace the tranny

if it is still under warranty why not just take it in

urname7698
02-28-2009, 05:31 AM
-sometimes even when the clutch is all the way in i have trouble getting into first and rev. i've learned that letting the clutch out a bit helps it pop in, but sometimes it doesn't and i rely on me getting pissed off and slamming the hell out of it until it catches. do i need to take in my car to have them look at this as a possible warranty issue? or is this newbie user error?

its been a while since I've owned a honda but in my vw's you always have better luck shifting into 2nd then into first. Maybe your synchros or maybe the actual linkage. Is it hard to get into first when the car isn't even running? For reverse, I always shift into first and then into reverse.

JC<3Ek
02-28-2009, 08:43 AM
shift down to first gear when u go like 20 mph so...because in my car first gear only catch when is 5mph...i think is like blown-engine protection againt the tranny or soemthign reverse could be your yncros..but i dont get why u cant shift into first or reverse when car is at dead stop..if you shift into reverse when your car go forward liek 2 or 3 mph..u will hear a loud CLICK. that click mean your syncros is being force to do what it doesnt want to..and into first is teh same..is doesnt matter what mph u can shift...what matter is do u want to save gas or you want more speed.. if youw ant to save gas...shift 3k rpm at a time...depend on how long or short your tranny is..then keep doing 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5, if youw ant more catch up speed then go higher..

DC2FTW
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
get an automatic not all people are capable of driving manual transmission lol

JC<3Ek
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
get an automatic not all people are capable of driving manual transmission lol

you sir are incorrect..back when i was 16 my frist car was an automatic...my second car what an auto, third also..finally i get sick of auto and the turtlespeed , i end up trade my 98 civic auto for 98 integra manual...back then none of my fam know how to drive manual, i have to drive my self and teach my self manual when i drive teh car from palmspring to LA. ( when i still live in CA ) i stall like gazillion time ...i almost kill my self also stuck in traffic lol...stall in traffic like x10282827 time...and get honk at ..i almost end up selling the car thought im not capable to drive manual..but then i end up drving manual ever since..is so easy !!

CoupedUp04
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
you sir are incorrect..

Ha ha ha... Well said. As long as someone has the physical ability to drive they have the capability to drive stick.

Snipe: Is there any way (mathematically/mechanically) to figure out when each gear should be shifted according to MPH for maximum HP? (it's a D17A1)

And there's no mechanism that pops the shifter more smoothly into the next gear when somthing special is done with the clutch?

Thanks (writing from a phone... Sorry about the formatting)

JC<3Ek
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
first question : if you want to get more hp if certain RMP range to get most HP out of your engine...you have to find out what is your powerband and where is it kick in ....i belive d17a1 powerband is around 5 or 6 not sure. never have a single cam d17 ...but correct me if im wrong... you can try google or yahoo search to see what honda said about your d series powerband at...
second question..if you want to shift more smoothly and less jerk-motion. in my term of driving ...play with the clutch is what i call it...when at dead stop ... i type the gas to around 1.5 rpm. then i release the clutch to half way then i go more on the gas pedal , then i release the clutch to completely out.. that way your clutch catch more smoothly ,, because the faster the speed you release the clutch ...the more jerk-motion you will have when you didnt give enought gas intime of the clutch is out for it.but ever since i replace my clutch to stage 1...i cant shift perfectly smooth anymore..lol..but when is catch...love it...but anyway ...the more practice you have the more experient driving a stick will be...just becareful..if you cant understand what im saying..sorry english is my second language ....

CoupedUp04
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
i don't have a tach. that's why i need the point to shift for max HP in each gear in terms of mph. i need to just put in a tach but until then id like to know. any way to use the gear ratio or something like that to figure it out?

JC<3Ek
03-02-2009, 09:36 PM
gear ratio doesnt mean shit bro..u need a tach to determine what is best for u or be pro for a chance..use your ear lol !!

fivesfe
03-03-2009, 10:36 PM
i think i can help you.

most cars wont let you go into first uneless you are going extremely slow. Almost all of my cars (ranging from toy's hondas dsm's and so on) i would occassionally have the same problem going directly into 1st at a dead stop, i would have togo down into 2nd then throw it up to 1st. This same issue would happen to me in reverse too, i would throw it in 3rd real quick then to reverse and it would almost always go in.

when i worked a car dealership i was browsing threw manuals, on of them had the speed listed on when to shift. Im under the impression that alot of them have this, look threw your manual.

OhDang
03-04-2009, 02:57 AM
For the pesky rev and 1st just put it in neutral and fully lift off of the clutch and engage it again if you're not getting into gear my teg hates getting into reverse right away but this usually gets it but shifting by MPH I generally go

1st - 0-15
2nd - 15 to 25
3rd - 25-35
4th - 35 -45
5th - 45 cruising through city

That's revving to about 3-3.5 before shifting but you could go even slower if you wanted and what jc said use your ear cause thats what you'll do after you get it all down anyways

CoupedUp04
03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Good call on the shifting issue. going into another gear first works like a charm. I guess im not being clear enough about what im asking about the other thing. The stats of my engine state max HP at 6500 rpm. Not having a tach i'm wondering when that is for each gear. I'll check the manual but i thought maybe someone has/could look at their speed when hitting 6500 in each gear. Thanks for all the help!

sniperscout
03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
lol @ max hp on the d17

rudsone
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
lol @ max hp on the d17

x2.

you dont need a tach to know when to shift up or down...you should be able to feel it and hear it...

practice

JC<3Ek
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
yes...but the kid ask when he should shift to get most hp out of his d17..lol..d17 not alot..but when to shift..almost all the cars have the "first gear blown engine" protection..most car dont let you go in first unless u go like 2 or 3 mph..but i have same problemin reverse..i shift to reverse it doesnt go in..then put back to neutral then it go in very smooth

Gillette51
03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
My 04 civic is the first 5 speed car i've owned. I learned on a 98 civic and while the basics are similar, there's still some things i'm not sure of. I'm sure i'd find out by trial and error over time but why wait...

The biggest things i've noticed are:

-sometimes when i shift the shifter almost naturally pops out and into the next gear (i've noticed this going from 2nd to 3rd) with very little effort. I figured it was probably because of shifting at a certain RPM, but i' don't have a damn tach so how can i figure this out?

as a side note on the first one, i'm not sure yet what tach/mount/pod i'm going to use and i don't want to red line every gear to find out how high it goes. what's the best point, in MPH, to shift each gear?

Thanks for the help people!

go to like 4th then reverse or 5th then reverse!

its a normal thing i have the same problem here and there.
or release the clutch and put it back in then try to go to reverse again.

CoupedUp04
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I understand my D17 doesn't have much power if it could even be considered power. But it's not like anyones rollin a damn porche. You drive a honda just like the rest of us. Also, someone may be mistaken as far as my age, son, so try to remember what they say about assumptions. I know there is some way to figure this out without a tach. I haven't had a chance to check the manual but i will asap. Just can't wait to consistently hit the sweet spot on my slow as shit honda just like the rest of us.

CoupedUp04
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
So apparently the manual only gives the MPH when each gear hits redline, but that's good enough for me... and surprisingly it's a lot higher than i thought it was.

JC<3Ek
03-05-2009, 09:31 PM
yes !

FranktheTank
03-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I understand my D17 doesn't have much power if it could even be considered power. But it's not like anyones rollin a damn porche. You drive a honda just like the rest of us. Also, someone may be mistaken as far as my age, son, so try to remember what they say about assumptions. I know there is some way to figure this out without a tach. I haven't had a chance to check the manual but i will asap. Just can't wait to consistently hit the sweet spot on my slow as shit honda just like the rest of us.

Hood rich Honda's to be correct broski

CoupedUp04
03-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Hood rich Honda's to be correct broski

i must've been high... i meant to say "you drive a hood rich honda, just like the rest of us".... that sounds about right...ha... regardless i love mine all the same

2fnfast
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
i go into second then reverve

92BlackEgMTX
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
i just do reverse burnouts.. 10 percent of the time it works everytime!

tuktownAZ
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
bump

JC<3Ek
04-23-2009, 10:46 PM
dude dont tell me you still cant shift right that why u bump the thread ?

imm0rtal
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
dude dont tell me you still cant shift right that why u bump the thread ?it wasn't the same guy and this is actually useful for someone without a tach, so shh.

90SiR
04-25-2009, 01:31 AM
i just floor it until the car stops accelerating, then shift, repeat.

dc4teg97
04-25-2009, 02:00 AM
no need for tach, listen to the rpms, be the rpm...be like rpm...hey what do u guys shift at? i shift at 2900 and wen im smashing on punkass jc ek i shift at 7800 lmmfgdao!

thakid
04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
shift down to first gear when u go like 20 mph so...because in my car first gear only catch when is 5mph...i think is like blown-engine protection againt the tranny or soemthign reverse could be your yncros..but i dont get why u cant shift into first or reverse when car is at dead stop..if you shift into reverse when your car go forward liek 2 or 3 mph..u will hear a loud CLICK. that click mean your syncros is being force to do what it doesnt want to..and into first is teh same..is doesnt matter what mph u can shift...what matter is do u want to save gas or you want more speed.. if youw ant to save gas...shift 3k rpm at a time...depend on how long or short your tranny is..then keep doing 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5, if youw ant more catch up speed then go higher..

I know what you mean. I cant shift into 1st gear unles im like 5mph or stopped. Its annoying.

CoupedUp04
02-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh ish... I haven't been on here in so damn long but if you (tuktownaz) still need to know when to shift in terms of MPH it say in the manual that the d17a1 engine redlines in multiples of a little bit less than 30MPH. So: 1st gear- ~29, 2nd gear - ~58, 3rd gear- ~87, 4th/5th gears- max...

hope that helps!