PDA

View Full Version : Simple, Basic Forced Induction

atomicx
03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I want some boost for an h22, but nothing major or dramatic. Something simple that you can just slap on a DD. I was looking at a JR supercharger, then I saw the t3/t4. Just want to see what the majority of you fellas would do, and some reasons why.
The amount of work to put in doesn't matter to me, all that matters to me is something reliable that doesn't require much money to install. Thanks.

imm0rtal
03-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Save your money and wait. Forced induction is not something you can just slap on and go, it requires planning and good-quality parts to make it reliable. I wouldn't trust half of the kids on here who's rides only half run either ;)

atomicx
03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Save your money and wait. Forced induction is not something you can just slap on and go, it requires planning and good-quality parts to make it reliable. I wouldn't trust half of the kids on here who's rides only half run either ;)

lol. well say i save my money and wait, what would you say turbo or sc?

LS-S DA9
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
yeah i have learned from friends building their cars and there alot more to boost than i realized. fuel pump, oil lines, injectors, gauges, tunes.. EVERYTHING so it lasts and runs right

jake2001z001
03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Nice boosted car only comes from a lot of research

94gay-lude
03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
i like how no one answers his question, you guys just dance around it bragging that you know about turbos.
idk man, ive never been a FI guy but i hope SOMEONE comes along with real insight.

JDM Jon
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
definitely wait and save
takes a lot of time, money, and work to make any type of boosted car reliable

crx2quik4u
03-04-2009, 01:40 AM
you want something you can just "slap" on but then you dont care how much work it takes. both are going to cost a little bit of cash unless your like kingdingaling and steal your shit.(jk, just going along with the joke) a supercharger can be easier....but do you REALLY wanna spend the same price and get half the power? I have seen a stock h22 hold 12 pounds and put down a fuck load of power. figure out what you can afford, what your engine can handle etc etc ......oh yeah TURBO>s-charger

atomicx
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
you want something you can just "slap" on but then you dont care how much work it takes. both are going to cost a little bit of cash unless your like kingdingaling and steal your shit.(jk, just going along with the joke) a supercharger can be easier....but do you REALLY wanna spend the same price and get half the power? I have seen a stock h22 hold 12 pounds and put down a fuck load of power. figure out what you can afford, what your engine can handle etc etc ......oh yeah TURBO>s-charger

THANK YOU!!!:inlove: finally someone who has some insight!

atomicx
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice boosted car only comes from a lot of research

no shit dude...why the f*ck do you think I made this thread for?

UMS Tuning Sales
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
if it helps......we are taking JRSC set up off a car (built motor on AEM EMS) to go turbo because the car won't make sqaut for power on the JRSC...

No intercooling option, hard to adjust boost pressure....nowhere near as efficient as a turbo......

SC kits work if:

A. you can live with what you get from the set up and never want more
B. don't want alot of power
c. want that particular powerband

otherwise go turbo as it will be more efficient, make more power, offer more room to grow expand, change set up.....

just be prepared to spend good $$$$$ for a RELIABLE set up.

GunnRulF
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
first question is what are your power goals? once you have that go from there and with turbo you can always adjust boost rather than with a sc changing pully's and what not

voted

atomicx
03-04-2009, 12:35 PM
if it helps......we are taking JRSC set up off a car (built motor on AEM EMS) to go turbo because the car won't make sqaut for power on the JRSC...

No intercooling option, hard to adjust boost pressure....nowhere near as efficient as a turbo......

SC kits work if:

otherwise go turbo as it will be more efficient, make more power, offer more room to grow expand, change set up.....

thanks for the input the most helpful so far :thumbup:

atomicx
03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
first question is what are your power goals? once you have that go from there and with turbo you can always adjust boost rather than with a sc changing pully's and what not

voted

well i was hoping to maybe gain a good 20-60+ whp maybe i can do that with a t3/t4?

GunnRulF
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
well i was hoping to maybe gain a good 20-60+ whp maybe i can do that with a t3/t4?

definelty can, I ask this because, if you know what kind of power you want to make.. then you know what size injectors to get, how much boost you want to run etc... I would go a size or two bigger on the injectors because your going to want more boost down the road and you dont want to max out your injectors and then have to get new ones.. same with fuel pump etc... alway's have a goal in mind and make your set up for more than what your goal is.. that way later down the road you dont have to sell your shit and buy new shit to make more hp..:thumbsup:

The President
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM

SC kits work if:

well for the JRSC, you can get an LT (I think thats the name) intercooler (water to air), or if you run a centrifugal (sp?) then you can also custom route the piping to an FMIC. btw, the lt intercooler is SUPER expensive. You can also play with different crank pullies to increase the boost but you have to be careful because the JRSC is only supposed to spin a certain amount of RPM before you essentially overheat the damn thing and cause the blades to go bad. You can also have the JRSC ported for that extra kick however that's super expensive too. The only thing that REALLY sucks about the JRSC is dealing with the belts. Lots of people have issues with them slipping and sometimes even breaking.

The only thing that is nice about a supercharger over a turbo is that it will be consistant every time if you put it on, tune it, and leave it. No boost spikes or boost creep that can potentially break important shit.

All in all, I say you should turbo the car. it's more efficient, won't run AS hot as a S/c'd engine and, you've got more room to upgrade/make changes.

GunnRulF
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
good info ^

atomicx
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
well for the JRSC, you can get an LT (I think thats the name) intercooler (water to air), or if you run a centrifugal (sp?) then you can also custom route the piping to an FMIC. btw, the lt intercooler is SUPER expensive. You can also play with different crank pullies to increase the boost but you have to be careful because the JRSC is only supposed to spin a certain amount of RPM before you essentially overheat the damn thing and cause the blades to go bad. You can also have the JRSC ported for that extra kick however that's super expensive too. The only thing that REALLY sucks about the JRSC is dealing with the belts. Lots of people have issues with them slipping and sometimes even breaking.

The only thing that is nice about a supercharger over a turbo is that it will be consistant every time if you put it on, tune it, and leave it. No boost spikes or boost creep that can potentially break important shit.

All in all, I say you should turbo the car. it's more efficient, won't run AS hot as a S/c'd engine and, you've got more room to upgrade/make changes.

thanks very much! x2 on great info.

pretty sure now w/o a doubt im gonna get a turbo. thank you:clapper: everyone.

smoovy
03-06-2009, 02:31 AM
I've ridden in a JRSC H22 prelude before and it was a nice fun ride. something definately simple if you install it, tune it and leave it alone. unlike the supercharger, the turbo has room for growth. I am still on my first turbo....5 years and counting, and i've increased the power2-3PSI each year, so I would say that now.......5 years later, I'm happy I made that move and never looked back. don't get me wrong, SC's are good in thier own way, it's just when I got my setup, I had alot more power in mind, and just a lil FYI, about 60 WHP is what you'll see on a JRSC, on a basic T3/T4 turbo setup you'll see gains of 75-100WHP on as little as 7PSI.

onefst91hatch
03-25-2009, 03:36 PM
turo for sure. your only limit to power and reliability with a turbo is your pocket depth, there are alot more limitations with the SC. especially the jackson racing. if i wanted a blower i would have a V8. lol. i personally turbo every one of my honda's and love it to death. just make sure you dont get cheap parts because cheap parts fail and if anything fails in your turbo system it can be detramental to your entire engine. I.E. dont use a cheap waste gate. if the diaphram decides to leak or crack it will not open and you will either blow up your entire engine or lift the head off the block. (this happened to me once. was tuned on 10 psi, waste gate took a shit and it spiked all the way to 22 psi while i was in the middle off a 4th gear pull. needless to say it was a loud KABOOM.) and even more important than that!! GET IT TUNED!!! thats gonna be the most important part of ANY F.I. build PERIOD. gl with your build man and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. you should just come out tp the meet this saturday and ill take you for a ride in my built sohc.

atomicx
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
turo for sure. your only limit to power and reliability with a turbo is your pocket depth, there are alot more limitations with the SC. especially the jackson racing. if i wanted a blower i would have a V8. lol. i personally turbo every one of my honda's and love it to death. just make sure you dont get cheap parts because cheap parts fail and if anything fails in your turbo system it can be detramental to your entire engine. I.E. dont use a cheap waste gate. if the diaphram decides to leak or crack it will not open and you will either blow up your entire engine or lift the head off the block. (this happened to me once. was tuned on 10 psi, waste gate took a shit and it spiked all the way to 22 psi while i was in the middle off a 4th gear pull. needless to say it was a loud KABOOM.) and even more important than that!! GET IT TUNED!!! thats gonna be the most important part of ANY F.I. build PERIOD. gl with your build man and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. you should just come out tp the meet this saturday and ill take you for a ride in my built sohc.

thanks a lot man:thumbup: i added you to my contacts.

efcivic91
03-29-2009, 05:19 PM
I thought it was bad to boost a stock sleeved h22. I cant remember exactly but dont they have some type of coating on the sleeves, i think its call FRM or FHM or something like that, that does not work well with boost. OR maybe im talkin out my ass!