PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 Lowering Springs

jp8AP1
03-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey i am looking up some skunk 2 lowering springs for my little sister's dc5. Anyone have positive and negative feedback on them and if you can post pics of you dc5 with them on it will help a lot THX!!

Built By Notorious
03-03-2009, 10:51 PM
We have them on some of our cars and the ride is great. Not too low. We can get them for you just check out our websites below in signature.

jp8AP1
03-03-2009, 10:53 PM
got any pics of the cars with them on?

Built By Notorious
03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes, this is a RSX on them.

jp8AP1
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
what size rims are those?

[Q]Powered_ITR
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Dont get these, i had them on mine, i hated it cause the rear sagged like crazy.

Built By Notorious
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
17's and if they sagged it was due to blown struts. We have them on our 91 Accord Wagon that lugs parts around all the time. Even w/ 4 bigger guys and parts no sag.

ep3 dom
03-05-2009, 12:34 PM
i have them on my ep3, i would recommend a rear camber kit though.

Built By Notorious
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
^Agreed. On certain cars you may need camber correction. Our does in the front, the CRX does not and RSX's are border line. But just like any spring that height.

[Q]Powered_ITR
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
17's and if they sagged it was due to blown struts. We have them on our 91 Accord Wagon that lugs parts around all the time. Even w/ 4 bigger guys and parts no sag.

I was on stock type s wheels with skunk2 springs with brand new aspec struts still sagged.

here is a pic , you can kinda tell the rear is sagging.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/Quang_A_Tang/l_b29db423c79288af88cd589e771d2848.jpg

jgregg
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
the 91 wagon with skunk2 springs that lugs parts around is my daily. it rides like a dream ....the front needs a camber kit but needs struts as well. I just bought skunk2 sport struts and planned to install them either this weekend or early next week. I will try and let you know if the front really needs a camber kit that bad or if the struts are really that bad.

GitRRRRRdone
03-07-2009, 09:05 PM
I've never been a fan of Skunk springs but if that's what your most interested in, get their shocks at the same time. Or you could just go all out and a coilover set up. Fork out the money, I'm sure your sister is worth it. :clap:

Built By Notorious
03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I to think the Skunk2 struts are nice. I rate them above Tokicos now. We can also get them if interested.

h-vtec
03-23-2009, 08:51 PM
eh bro go with k-sports ask anyone worst mistake i made was going skunk2.... or megan racing for that matter both i say are better then the skunk2

jgregg
03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
the 91 wagon with skunk2 springs that lugs parts around is my daily. it rides like a dream ....the front needs a camber kit but needs struts as well. I just bought skunk2 sport struts and planned to install them either this weekend or early next week. I will try and let you know if the front really needs a camber kit that bad or if the struts are really that bad.

I installed my skunk2 struts to go with my skunk2 springs on my 91 accord wagon. the took most of my sag and camber issue out of the front end. ride quality is great. not sure if the ride quality will change between vehicle make and model but I could not ask for anything more on my accord . we have installed this combo on a couple civic's and crx now as well. ride quality was great there as well .

sdvietboy
03-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Powered_ITR;1364604']Dont get these, i had them on mine, i hated it cause the rear sagged like crazy.

x2 i have never seen skunk2 spring on a rsx that didnt sag in the rear.

sdvietboy
03-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, this is a RSX on them.

look carefully... the rear is lower then the front

Built By Notorious
03-24-2009, 08:31 AM
They are not sagging that is there stance. I sell Megan's and would not recommend there drop springs over Skunk2. LOL K Sports.. Nevere used there drop coils so can not comment. But everyone of our customers, EVERYONE that has the full coilover hates them. And is trying to trade them or sell them. They blow out very quickly and are costly to revalve and repair.

sdvietboy
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
They are not sagging that is there stance. I sell Megan's and would not recommend there drop springs over Skunk2. LOL K Sports.. Nevere used there drop coils so can not comment. But everyone of our customers, EVERYONE that has the full coilover hates them. And is trying to trade them or sell them. They blow out very quickly and are costly to revalve and repair.

ok so thats there stance??? i guess... but its a VERY gay stance. skunk2 lowering springs = :ugly:

[Q]Powered_ITR
03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
lol i just saw my friends jade green rsx he is on skunk 2's what a suprise the rear is sagging.

topramn
03-27-2009, 10:41 AM

First off, I use the skunk2 full coils. They are the ones that came out before the adjustables came out. They were on my old hatch and are on my new hatch as well. Great ride, no sag, no problems. I use a rear camber and tow kit on the new car but havent needed a front camber kit yet. The last car had front camber and that was it.

Secondly, Megan and KSports are almost identical when it comes to springs and coilovers. I have rode in the same type of car with all 3 of the different set ups. I like my Skunk2 setup over the others BUT the others ARE good kits.

Third, KSport's do not cost that much to rebuild them. I worked there for about 6 months and still recommend the product even though my employment ended on bad terms. In most cases, rebuild were completed and shipped back out to the customer on the same day that they arrived. If you are local, you can drop off your kit and pick it up that afternoon typically or even wait about 30 minutes if they arent that busy. As for pricing, it depends on the car but, I dont recall a rebuild that was past the warranty time costing more than 100 bucks. If you are within the one year warranty, its all free.

Last, the KSports do not blow out quickly like they did 5 years ago before anyone knew what KSports were. Back then, there was an issue with the O-Rings that were used. The issue was resolved as quickly as possible but that doesnt stop one person on Honda-Tech talking about how bad they are which has convinced other people how bad they are without even giving them a shot. I know of several road race and time attack cars locally that are running KSports and some have been running the same kit for nearly 2 years with no issues. Many times, issues arise because of shitty road conditions or silly inproper methods of installation.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Built By Notorious
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree with all ^Noodle^ had to say cept for the K sport part... The only reason I do not agree with you there is.. Within the last 3 months we have had 3-4 customers that had K sport c/o's and everyone of them has delt with blown shocks. Two of the had one blown in less than1500 miles. Yes not very exspensive to rebuild. But inconvenient if you should not have to be rebuilding them just after buying them. They are great for the track. Seems like rough streets kill them fast though.

topramn
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with all ^Noodle^ had to say cept for the K sport part... The only reason I do not agree with you there is.. Within the last 3 months we have had 3-4 customers that had K sport c/o's and everyone of them has delt with blown shocks. Two of the had one blown in less than1500 miles. Yes not very exspensive to rebuild. But inconvenient if you should not have to be rebuilding them just after buying them. They are great for the track. Seems like rough streets kill them fast though.

Thanks!

It happens from time to time that an O-ring manufacturer goes out of business in the country where the coilovers are made. This happened once when I was working for them. Things happen but still, no need to give up on what is historically not that bad of a product.

Built By Notorious
03-27-2009, 11:58 AM
True, true... Kinda like when DC Sports headers use to crack @ the welds in I dunno the 90's now have a bad name for it. Even tho they are the best made headers for the money out there that are CARB ok'd.

topramn
03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
True, true... Kinda like when DC Sports headers use to crack @ the welds in I dunno the 90's now have a bad name for it. Even tho they are the best made headers for the money out there that are CARB ok'd.

Exactly. The welds on those are 10 times better now than they were back in 97-98. Before, I could of produced welds of equal quality and I am by no means a welder. Today, their welds are competitive with the quality of welds that the company I work for puts out on a daily basis for buildings going up around town. Every company has a bad batch, the question is how badly will the bashing affect that companies ability to grow from a mistake.

Another example of failed products is Windows Vista. Its such an enormous failure that even Microsoft hated the idea of releasing it to the public but had no choice but to do so and can all efforts so that they could begin on a new platform to replace Vista as soon as possible. While most dont see this problem, the creators did and a fix will come soon. This is the way things work. We will see this evolution of products for years and years to come.

sdvietboy
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
First off, I use the skunk2 full coils. They are the ones that came out before the adjustables came out. They were on my old hatch and are on my new hatch as well. Great ride, no sag, no problems. I use a rear camber and tow kit on the new car but havent needed a front camber kit yet. The last car had front camber and that was it.

Secondly, Megan and KSports are almost identical when it comes to springs and coilovers. I have rode in the same type of car with all 3 of the different set ups. I like my Skunk2 setup over the others BUT the others ARE good kits.

Third, KSport's do not cost that much to rebuild them. I worked there for about 6 months and still recommend the product even though my employment ended on bad terms. In most cases, rebuild were completed and shipped back out to the customer on the same day that they arrived. If you are local, you can drop off your kit and pick it up that afternoon typically or even wait about 30 minutes if they arent that busy. As for pricing, it depends on the car but, I dont recall a rebuild that was past the warranty time costing more than 100 bucks. If you are within the one year warranty, its all free.

Last, the KSports do not blow out quickly like they did 5 years ago before anyone knew what KSports were. Back then, there was an issue with the O-Rings that were used. The issue was resolved as quickly as possible but that doesnt stop one person on Honda-Tech talking about how bad they are which has convinced other people how bad they are without even giving them a shot. I know of several road race and time attack cars locally that are running KSports and some have been running the same kit for nearly 2 years with no issues. Many times, issues arise because of shitty road conditions or silly inproper methods of installation.

Any questions, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

well your talking about skunk2 coilovers while we are talking about lowering springs. of course coilovers wont sag... and they dont only sag for rsx. i seen them on a em2 and dc2 that sag in the rear.

topramn
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
well your talking about skunk2 coilovers while we are talking about lowering springs. of course coilovers wont sag... and they dont only sag for rsx. i seen them on a em2 and dc2 that sag in the rear.

I have never seen a Skunk2 spring sag in the 11 years that I have followed the scene and more closely Skunk2 products. The pictures that were posted earlier show absolutely nothing at all based on the angle of the pictures. In many cases, springs will even out the overall ride height of the car, thus getting rid of the stinkbug look that most cars have from the factory where the rear end sits higher than the front. Also known as leveling the stance.

h-vtec
03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
I have never seen a Skunk2 spring sag in the 11 years that I have followed the scene and more closely Skunk2 products. The pictures that were posted earlier show absolutely nothing at all based on the angle of the pictures. In many cases, springs will even out the overall ride height of the car, thus getting rid of the stinkbug look that most cars have from the factory where the rear end sits higher than the front. Also known as leveling the stance.

i was and have been a follower of skunk2 love the product price for the performance is great couldnt complain and didnt complain thats all i worked with in all my cars in all performance aspects not just springs or coil overs.... for the rsx idk its a different story i had springs they sagged.. i went coil overs... they are now sagging... my back struts are now blown... its been 20 thousand miles... ive never heard of k sports on dc5's to be a bad choice or megan racing ones.. ive talked to a lot of people and they all said the same thing for the dc5. now on the rest of my cars my em1 dc2 eg6 i had no problems none.. and they were lowered a lot more then my dc5 is... im not the only one who had problems with them as well im just saying ask around see what everyone has and their honest opinion on them. if ur going to go skunk2 and ur set on going skunk2 go full adjustable coil overs with adjustable struts people have had some problems not as much though... my .02

JonnyB
05-22-2009, 07:45 PM
what about ground controls?... Thats what i was thinkin...