PDA

View Full Version : safe to boost?

singlecam_eg
03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
like it says im lookin for opinions or feedback on whether it would be safe/reliable to boost my motor. I know everyone says if you wanna boost to build a low CR motor but i have seen alot online running high/higher around 10.5-12:1

im only looking to do about 6-10 pounds
so if you have done this or kno sumone let me kno how it turned out.

my CR as of now is roughly11.5:1 (varies by calculator used)

SLOWHATCH
03-18-2009, 10:48 PM
the design of your piston and your cumbustion chambe play big factors in determining when an engine is going to knock. More then C/R and psi.

Also, when you say 6-10psi, it doesnt do anybody much good unless we have a temp or turbo compressor map to look at.

azracer41
03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
:goodpost:

dont quote me on this but if you use a small turbo like a 57 trim you may be ok with 6 psi. if anyone knows for sure please correct me if im wrong

street dreams
03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
i've boosted a type r motor w/ 11.1 compression and it lasted for a while before it needed to be rebuild and that was on 9 lbs of boost w/ a garrett t3/t4 turbo. but arizona gets to hot to be trying to run high compression and a turbo. and what motor do u have would help

king06
03-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Its all about the tunning. Find yourself a good reliable tunner.

NateTheApe
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Its all about the tunning. Find yourself a good reliable tunner.

X2 on this one. You definatly want a good tune OR your engine could take a shit. :devil1:

Rob x3
04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
it all depends on the tuner... the only reason why lower CR engines are safer for boost is because they allow room for error.

Picture this...

Driving a 16 wheeler through a mountain range, you can either take the long, easy and wide interstate or you can take the narrow, 2 lane highway, but you'll get to your destination quicker. If something goes wrong on the narrow highway your SOL... But if something goes wrong on the wide spacious interstate then you can overcome your problem easir.

Its all in the tune... like many have mentioned before

sohcisme
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah what they said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

92SiSpoon
04-03-2009, 07:21 AM
it all depends on the tuner... the only reason why lower CR engines are safer for boost is because they allow room for error.

Picture this...

Driving a 16 wheeler through a mountain range, you can either take the long, easy and wide interstate or you can take the narrow, 2 lane highway, but you'll get to your destination quicker. If something goes wrong on the narrow highway your SOL... But if something goes wrong on the wide spacious interstate then you can overcome your problem easir.

Its all in the tune... like many have mentioned before
truer words were never typed. :type: its all in the tune. why do you think there are people putting down 701whp on a stock f20c s2000 motor with only race gas, turbo, and a tune??? its all about a good tuner.

king06
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I find it interesting that no "tuners" chimed in, i wonder why?

Rob x3
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
this is a neglected sub-forum, thats why

jsk314
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
yea besides the tuning as far as im concerned your wasting your time and money on boosting something that shouldnt be...when it comes down to it if you boost a stock motor and blows within 20k miles...you need to rebuild it right?...well why not build it right the first time all forged and then boost it...save yourself the headache and time..jsut my 2 cents..goodluck