PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Sports Silencer Exhaust on FA5

Type Si
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Hey guys,

I went ahead and purchased through King Motorsports, a Mugen Sports Silencer axelback exhaust. The installation was a breeze to do. The sound was that classic Mugen sound, but very quiet. I would have to say, a little louder than stock. I did not go to a dyno shop to see any gains on paper, but I could describe the difference from stock as more pulling strength throughout the mid range. King Motorsports claims on their website that this exhaust can give you 8WHP.....Umm no. That's not the case, but as I said before, the gain you get can be felt.

I was happy with the gain of power, so far, but was unhappy about the sound being so mellow. I googled some local exhaust/muffler shops in the valley and found GILA MUFFLER AND RADIATOR. I called them up and spoke with the owner named Skip. He told me to stop by and he'd take a look at my exhaust.

Skip said that it would be no problem replacing the stock mid pipe with a 2 1/2 inch custom pipe, essentially deleting the resonator, and having a straight 2 1/2 inch pipe from the stock catalytic convertor to the Mugen axelback exhaust. Well, after he had bent the pipe and installed it, roughly 45 minutes, I turned the key and revved it. It was definitely louder, probably as loud as an LSD or Skunk 2 exhaust or even a little louder. It also had a rattling/tingy sound to it from 2500 to 3500 RPMs.

The rattling/tingy sound was unbelievably annoying, since I was hoping for a cleaner more pronounce sound. I was thinking it was due to either lack of back pressure, or their was just too much air flow through the 2 1/2 inch pipe to the roughly 2 inch piping of the Mugen axelback, which was generating the rattling/tingy sound inside the muffler.

Well, the solution was to add a 'glass pack' higher than stock air flow resonator to the already installed 2 1/2 inch piping. I got into the car turned the key and revved it. The Si had that sweet and sexy Mugen sound now with no rattling/tingy going on, and it was more pronounced than when I only had the Mugen axelback and stock mid pipe.

So, I came out with a decent power gain and I got a pretty pronounced sound from the Mugen Sports Silencer. Thanks to King Motorsports, and a big thanks to Skip and GILA MUFFLER and RADIATOR in Mesa! Total price for the custom piping and added 'glass pack' resonator was approximately $100.00. Great deal!

Here are some pics of the muffler, custom piping and resonator:

ReyEG2
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
damn prop for u for rocking the good stuff

Type Si
03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
^ Thanks man! I was thinking of getting the Greddy Evo 2 exhaust system, but I had a greddy system on my old CRX and 2000 SI, so I wanted something different.

ohfoSHO?
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
looks clean man i've always loved the mugen sound, i don't know how to describe it but it's just very distinct.

blackouthx
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice pick up! how much did you get it for if you dont mind saying?

No

Type Si
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
^ Haha, to be nice and truthful about giving a reply to your question of how much, I will tell you, even though I know someone will criticize me for it. I paid $900.00 for the Mugen axelback, plus $100.00 for the 2 1/2 inch piping and resonator. So, $1000.00 total. You can buy the catback exhaust that comes on the Mugen Civic Si for approximately $1500.00, and you will get a similar sound but less decibals, and I believe smaller piping for the mid pipe. That's why I went the way I did!

Hmmmm....last time I checked, I didn't want new rims, or a headlight conversion, or a brake upgrade, or a bodykit, or anything else I could have bought for a $1000.00, etc. etc. etc. Just to get it out of the way!!!!!

Thanks for the question, I hope this inspires another Mugen lover to do something similar. There is a video on Youtube of someone who has a Figi Blue FG2, who bought a Spoon N1 axelback and hooked it up to a custom mid pipe with resonator deleted. It sounds great, but very loud! I wanted to post something on the Mugen side of things that was similar.....

blackouthx
03-19-2009, 06:57 PM
DAMN! lol .

Looks so fing sick though, you should work on getting a sound clip. Any more pictures of the car?

You going to the tempe meet?

Type Si
03-20-2009, 04:56 AM
^ Thanks! I gotta work friday evening and can't make the Tempe meet. I was planning on going, but couldn't get out of work. Sucks....

I'll try to get a sound clip in the near future. I recently mastered posting pics, I'll see if I can do a sound clip now! haha

Type Si
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to try and get a sound clip of the exhaust this weekend so I can post it up in here for you guys! I hope it works haha. Any help would be appreciated on how to get a sound clip on here, or even a video. Would I have to go onto youtube, place it on there, and then just copy and paste the link into this thread? Thanks in advance

crxhfb16
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
you can use photobucket for videos to, it works the same way as pics/

Type Si
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
^ Ok thanks, I'll check that out soon.

Type Si
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Here is a video/sound clip of the Mugen Sports Silencer Exhaust w/ custom 2.5" midpipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5YA6zAINQ

Hope it plays and it is enjoyed!
If it doesn't play, you can watch it at youtube under "FA5 Si w/ Mugen Sports Silencer w/ custom 2.5" midpipe"

Thanks

n8jigga
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
sick it sounds so nice, i have the spoon axleback that is very similar to that one on my prelude and have been looking for a shop to do the midsection for me, not for sound but for better flow, i like the way mine sounds.....damn 100 bucks is a damn good deal, and they are like 5 mins from my house im hittn them up for sure.....thanks for the info

Type Si
04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
^ Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I love this exhaust, the sound is an improvment and their is some good air flow now. I'm glad this thread helped you, and when you go to GILA MUFFLER AND RADIATOR, mention to them about the guy who came in with the white honda for the midpipe! I think they'll remember! Oh and don't forget to add a 'glass pack' resonator to your new 'whatever size' piping you get, cuz you will probably experience the rattling I did, due to too much air flow to the Mugen muffler. GL

riceboy88
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
nice. im hoping to get the spoon n1 done to my fg

Type Si
04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
^ Thanks! Yeah, I wrote in an earlier post about someone having the Spoon N1 with custom midpipe on a Figi Blue FG2. He's got a couple of videos on youtube about it called FG2 Spoon N1 and FG2 Spoon N1 Review, or something like that. The Spoon N1 sounds sick, but seriously is ear bleeding loud. Maybe all his setup needs is a resonator and it would be at a tolerable decibal. If I ever got tired of the Mugen exhaust, I would get the Spoon N1 myself and just swap axleback for axleback and call it a day and leave the custom midpipe! haha. Thanks again

n8jigga
04-02-2009, 06:36 AM
^ Thanks for the kind words! Yeah I love this exhaust, the sound is an improvment and their is some good air flow now. I'm glad this thread helped you, and when you go to GILA MUFFLER AND RADIATOR, mention to them about the guy who came in with the white honda for the midpipe! I think they'll remember! Oh and don't forget to add a 'glass pack' resonator to your new 'whatever size' piping you get, cuz you will probably experience the rattling I did, due to too much air flow to the Mugen muffler. GL

no problem man, thanks for the info.......im always looking for good shops that dont overcharge......i will mention ur car to them, gonna do it soon

riceboy88
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM
^ Thanks! Yeah, I wrote in an earlier post about someone having the Spoon N1 with custom midpipe on a Figi Blue FG2. He's got a couple of videos on youtube about it called FG2 Spoon N1 and FG2 Spoon N1 Review, or something like that. The Spoon N1 sounds sick, but seriously is ear bleeding loud. Maybe all his setup needs is a resonator and it would be at a tolerable decibal. If I ever got tired of the Mugen exhaust, I would get the Spoon N1 myself and just swap axleback for axleback and call it a day and leave the custom midpipe! haha. Thanks again

yea when i saw your post earlier i had to check it out and its sounds amazing. its either the n1 or full straight pipe

backorderbetty
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey check this out!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290307932097

ICD
04-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Dam that's pretty sweet I have one on my teg and love how quite it is.