PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Paint.

atomicx
05-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I wanna paint my value cover, just wondering what kind of paint to use? how many coats and a DIY with pics would help. Thanks.

atomicx
05-03-2009, 07:11 AM
come on somebody on here HAS to know this.:kiss:

Jason.AZ1
05-03-2009, 07:18 AM
have it powdercoated looks cleaner

atomicx
05-03-2009, 10:24 AM
have it powdercoated looks cleaner

you should do it for me i'll give you a little gift if you know what I mean :tits:

1lowtacoma
05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
home depot primer and paint works
montana paint works

i usually do 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, 2 coats of clear.

VtecCr-x
05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
i usually have them powder coated for 25 bucks...

LONESTAR
05-03-2009, 05:51 PM
high temp paint is your friend PLAYA!

atomicx
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
montana paint works

fuck thank you soo damn much finally some useful info...

i usually have them powder coated for 25 bucks...
ok where can I do this?

high temp paint is your friend PLAYA!
well its only common sense dood, I don't think anybody would use just regular house paint to paint their valve cover lol.

VtecCr-x
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
my buddy does it in his garage lol...

atomicx
05-03-2009, 09:38 PM
my buddy does it in his garage lol...

I thought it required the use of a large oven?

Yellow Submarine
05-03-2009, 11:34 PM
they sell high tempature paint for engine shit at autozone ...not many color choices but its there and there got a high tempature clear coat for it

atomicx
05-04-2009, 07:03 AM
they sell high tempature paint for engine shit at autozone ...not many color choices but its there and there got a high tempature clear coat for it

thanks i went there yesterday morning.

1lowtacoma
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought it required the use of a large oven?

you need an oven big enough to fit a valve cover, any household oven should be able to fit it, unless you have an Easy bake oven.....

if you want more info on powder coating, do the following:

Type in search bar at top.

1) google.com
2) DIY at home powdercoating
3) read and learn
:thumbup:

1lowtacoma
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
fuck thank you soo damn much finally some useful info...

ok where can I do this?

well its only common sense dood, I don't think anybody would use just regular house paint to paint their valve cover lol.

hi temp and normal paint are the same, they scratch the same, and well your valve cover doesnt get hott enugh to melt the paint off.

So if u use paint and not powdercoating, it will scratch if u hit it with anything.
Powdercoat holds up a lot better

VtecCr-x
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I even had him powder coat my wheels,He uses his oven in the kitchen haha....

dragoonjoe13
05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
ok pimp the real trouble here is gettin that old paint off right?
aircraft carrier paint remover workes great, found at checkers

spray the sh!t out of it and wrap in tin foil for 1 hour then hose off

any paint works well on these so feel free to be creative here.
powdercoatin is best if you can get a good deal and good work id say f-it its worth it and prolly cost efficent.

do work!!

1lowtacoma
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
lol, aircraft remover works in about 10mintues without wrapping it bro.

AZ_CIVIC
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
You have to use a Hi temp spray paint, you cannot use any regular automotive paint like you would use to paint a car because the paint will flake off after a couple months. I would suggest powder coating.

1lowtacoma
05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
eh i re-paint valve covers like i take shits, everyday its a different turd

Method520
05-04-2009, 05:45 PM
yea get that duplicolor engine enamel shit from autozone

cmyrex
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
montana paint works

i agree wit ilow montana is the shit such dope color his procedures are the same as i do so

chakaloso_02
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
dont easy-off work just like paint remover? lol

i think i saw a thread on here aobut that.. ill look for it

chakaloso_02
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
found it.. =]
http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89212

socalbuilt
05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
get that red wrinkle paint...boom...type-r replica :thumbup:

DarkAngel
05-06-2009, 01:54 PM
get that red wrinkle paint...boom...type-r replica :thumbup:

I tried that once with the black wrinkle and it didn't look like stock. IS there any that works great because I want to do my valve cover as it has some minor flaking on one.

socalbuilt
05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
yea...the red wrinkle paint from VHT works really good...here ya go http://www.cacustomcoatings.com/vhtredwrpl.html

gsr1379
05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I used the wrinkle paint and then covered with normal non wrinkle and it looked "more" stock

hondafan2
05-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I even had him powder coat my wheels,He uses his oven in the kitchen haha....

where is this guy at or how can i get a hold of him??

BlueTeg
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I've done 2 VC's myself. First one I used the Hi-Temp paint for engine blocks (from Autozone) and it came out okay, just really limited on the colors they offer. Second one I used the paint they use for wheels (also found at Autozone) which has a slightly higher temperature rating than regular spray paint but not as high as the hi-temp stuff.

The wheel paint holds up just fine even under track conditions (road race / circuit course driving for 15+ minutes in the AZ summer....shit gets HOT) and I've run it like that for 2+ years.

Getting the old paint off is a PITA. Like the other guys said, aircraft paint remover is your friend. Spray on, go watch TV for 20 minutes come back and hose it off. I use a wire brush to get in the hard to reach places.

After the VC is completely stripped I'll hit it with some alcohol and a rag to make sure that its completely oil free. If you're not going to paint the letters then you'll want to carefully apply chapstick to the surface. Be careful that the chapstick only sticks to the top surface and doesn't leave clumps on the sides, etc.
Then I apply the Hi-Temp engine paint primer. Let it dry completely then hit it with the spray on paint (wheel or engine enamel). I usually do 2 coats. Now let it dry for 24 hours. If you are not painting the letters, take a razor blade and scrap the dried paint off the top of the letters. It should come off pretty easily thanks to the chapstick you laid down earlier. Next I hit the bare metal with medium grid sand paper to make sure the residue from the chapstik is gone. Then I hit with with a really fine grit paper to polish it up and make it shiney. (If you want a matte look to the metal letters then don't use any sand paper at all, just alcohol and a rag to make sure that the chapstick is competely gone). Now wipe down the metal surface with alcohol and lightly coat it with hi-temp clear coat (found at Vatozone). Make sure to coat it evenly so that you don't get spots with clear coat build up or drip marks.

You're all set.

ii_roll_1_de3p
05-08-2009, 12:16 PM
How much would ur friend charge to powercoat rims??? and how do we get ahold of him??

mr.lsvtec
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I've done 2 VC's myself. First one I used the Hi-Temp paint for engine blocks (from Autozone) and it came out okay, just really limited on the colors they offer. Second one I used the paint they use for wheels (also found at Autozone) which has a slightly higher temperature rating than regular spray paint but not as high as the hi-temp stuff.

The wheel paint holds up just fine even under track conditions (road race / circuit course driving for 15+ minutes in the AZ summer....shit gets HOT) and I've run it like that for 2+ years.

Getting the old paint off is a PITA. Like the other guys said, aircraft paint remover is your friend. Spray on, go watch TV for 20 minutes come back and hose it off. I use a wire brush to get in the hard to reach places.

After the VC is completely stripped I'll hit it with some alcohol and a rag to make sure that its completely oil free. If you're not going to paint the letters then you'll want to carefully apply chapstick to the surface. Be careful that the chapstick only sticks to the top surface and doesn't leave clumps on the sides, etc.
Then I apply the Hi-Temp engine paint primer. Let it dry completely then hit it with the spray on paint (wheel or engine enamel). I usually do 2 coats. Now let it dry for 24 hours. If you are not painting the letters, take a razor blade and scrap the dried paint off the top of the letters. It should come off pretty easily thanks to the chapstick you laid down earlier. Next I hit the bare metal with medium grid sand paper to make sure the residue from the chapstik is gone. Then I hit with with a really fine grit paper to polish it up and make it shiney. (If you want a matte look to the metal letters then don't use any sand paper at all, just alcohol and a rag to make sure that the chapstick is competely gone). Now wipe down the metal surface with alcohol and lightly coat it with hi-temp clear coat (found at Vatozone). Make sure to coat it evenly so that you don't get spots with clear coat build up or drip marks.

You're all set.

my method is almost identical
comes out pretty good

lude9701
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
here is one that i did a while back

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51026

ehb/crx
08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
does that say JDM on the duralast battery? ^^^^

babyrex22
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM