6.) CJ

On the bubble / TBD:
Erin Morely
Nolan
Craig
Jeremy W.
Tage

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/scracing.html
Mapquest shows that is about 4 hours and 45 minutes from the East Valley.

Cost is $50, which includes your transponder rental. They do not use an AMB transponder system. Drivers get open sessions all morning, after lunch they have a time attack, using the exact same rules and format as the UMS T/A. After the time attack, it's open track till the sun goes down.

For this event, they are doing a T/A on both Saturday and Sunday ($50 per day)...the track will be run clockwise one day, counter clockwise the other.

I have talked to Brady and Erin and they are considering going and would be more interested if we get some Honda heads to get a good AZ showing out there. If you've never done an out of town track event they are waaaay more fun when you roll with a group rather than just one or two people.

Hotel should be relatively cheap, its in Deming, New Mexico for god's sake.
As of May 10th, I found 3 hotels for $50 or less per night. > Click Here < (http://www.hotels.com/processIndexSearch.do;jsessionid=7D6F11EE6F990F314 7547890BD87CCBF.hughestc15?searchType=&destination=usertyped&fromNewSearchPage=true&acDestinationId=3211F5C2-F1AD-4141-8AAB-91078C095D8B&acDestinationType=1&lat=&lon=&pointName=&usertypedcity=Deming%2C+New+Mexico%2C+US&trackType=AC&userEnteredDestination=Deming%2C+New+Mexico%2C+US&defaultLandingPageUserType=&checkIn=5%2F29%2F2009&checkOut=5%2F30%2F2009&CIMonth=5&CIDay=29&CIYear=2009&COMonth=5&CODay=30&COYear=2009&numrooms=1&adults%5B0%5D=2&child%5B0%5D=0&refined=true)

Here is a video of a lap around the course (CW).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKw-MIIg4s

Importfan2
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
damn only if i didnt have friends coming into town that wkdn... cant wait to hear all about it..

ILIKETODRIVE
05-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Me/CJ/Kerry/Phil are for sure down. I think Nolan is as well.

comptonasskerry
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
me/cj/kerry/phil are for sure down. I think nolan is as well.

down

comptonasskerry
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Looks like a very honda/ff friendly track. Love the s section looks like 3 s's in a row. should be super fun!

BlueTeg
05-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice.

Okay, here's my next question....
Is anyone willing to co-drive their car on Saturday with me? Since I am out of town for the next 2 weekends in a row, I don't think theres a chance in hell my car will be done in time for this event (not too mention driving at 4500-5000 rpms for 5 hours in my rolling beer car of a car, sounds fucking miserable).

I am happy to offer up my 949 Racing 15x8 wheels + 225/50 RA1s + split the cost of gas and take the wheel if you need a break from driving.
Or I can offer my wheels/tires to the donor vehicle as stated above and bring my TSX + a shitload of tools, air tank, cooler with treats, etc. as the official AZHT trackside support vehicle.

I also have an incar Hot Lap timing system that can be transfered over to your car with very little work involved so we can observe lap times in the morning practice sessions to see whats working and whats not.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd be willing to let you drive my car. However, I think you could let me fix your beater while you're out of town and then we could both drive.

fmx_dbc
05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I might be down for this considering I'm able to drive by then...

SlowCivicHmm
05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Sounds fun....no dinero!! no track driving per docs orders.....no summer events for me......hopefully this fall back at it.....but doubt it!

comptonasskerry
05-07-2009, 04:28 AM
I'd be willing to let you drive my car. However, I think you could let me fix your beater while you're out of town and then we could both drive.

me and simon will get the car done before you come back man.

fmx_dbc
05-07-2009, 07:29 AM
^ you guys rock! That is super cool

ILIKETODRIVE
05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Just waiting for Gabey to chime in. I'll probably text him later today.

riceboy88
05-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Sounds fun....no dinero!! no track driving per docs orders.....no summer events for me......hopefully this fall back at it.....but doubt it!

can i use your car for the track then??? ha just messing

SlowCivicHmm
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
can i use your car for the track then??? ha just messing

I might rent it out...who knows....I need money...

rent with insurance and the liability if broken you fix.....BYOT&B!! hahahaha

Importfan2
05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
^^^sounds like a good deal... do u accept wire transfers from nigera.

topramn
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
always something going on in my schedule each year this happens.. this year is no different.. hope everyone who goes has a good time..

comptonasskerry
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM
^ you guys rock! That is super cool

anything to get a good guy back on track man.

Just waiting for Gabey to chime in. I'll probably text him later today.

do lets go to work man.

BlueTeg
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
me and simon will get the car done before you come back man.

You and Simon = gentlemen & scholars

Unfortunately even if the tranny on my car wasn't fubar'd, I'm not sure if I would take it on a roadtrip out of town....custom 5th gear that spins the motor at 5,000 rpms at 75mph + no A/C + no tunes + uncomfortable race seat + summer in southern AZ = roadtrip fail

BlueTeg
05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
do lets go to work man.

I could use some help pulling it out of the car so I can at least make the June event. I'll text Simon this week to see what yours and his availability over the next week or two. I pay helpers in pizza and beer/tequilla.

fmx_dbc
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Cmon dude if I do it you should do it too! Bring your earplugs...better yet, I might have the ability to make you custom headphone/earplugs...I'd do mine too of course. Benefit of the dental field.
In fact, I should be able to help out in the next few weeks if things go as planned

topramn
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
You and Simon = gentlemen & scholars

Unfortunately even if the tranny on my car wasn't fubar'd, I'm not sure if I would take it on a roadtrip out of town....custom 5th gear that spins the motor at 5,000 rpms at 75mph + no A/C + no tunes + uncomfortable race seat + summer in southern AZ = roadtrip fail

the custom fifth gear you cant do anything about, but everything else is minor..

no ac? summer in southern az? drive at night

no tunes? ipod it

uncomfortable race seat? swap out a tsx seat for the drive and put the race seat on the passenger side for the ride. only downfall is no passengers at asr.

otherwise, pimp out a tow bar on the tsx, get a dolly and tow your lil whore out there. this way you have gauranteed ride home even if something happens to an axle or something.

BlueTeg
05-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Ramin: unfortunately the custom 5th is the biggest factor detering me from making out of town trip like this. The high rpms are get really annoying after an hour or two and I don't like putting that kind of wear on the motor for 4 hours straight.

I have made 2 long distance roadtrips in the beater and the no AC, no tunes and even the seat isn't bad enough to deter me from making a trek.

TSX tow capacity is 1,000 lbs. So that is a no go on towing it out there. I am actually looking at selling the TSX and getting.....[eeeek] an SUV so I can start towing my shipwreck of a car to stuff like this. That or get a engine/tranny with 6 gears.... :-O

Right now whoring Simon's car sounds like the most practical option. Simon: I'll text you later today dude.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Gabey, let me know if the trans needs to be opened up for repairs at all. I have a cable GSR 5th (0.875 ratio, closer than ITR but not as close as the super secret custom 5th) that you might be interested in.

topramn
05-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Ramin: unfortunately the custom 5th is the biggest factor detering me from making out of town trip like this. The high rpms are get really annoying after an hour or two and I don't like putting that kind of wear on the motor for 4 hours straight.

I have made 2 long distance roadtrips in the beater and the no AC, no tunes and even the seat isn't bad enough to deter me from making a trek.

TSX tow capacity is 1,000 lbs. So that is a no go on towing it out there. I am actually looking at selling the TSX and getting.....[eeeek] an SUV so I can start towing my shipwreck of a car to stuff like this. That or get a engine/tranny with 6 gears.... :-O

Right now whoring Simon's car sounds like the most practical option. Simon: I'll text you later today dude.

right on dood. just remember, honda makes suv's too. might lose a few mpg but its better than owning american cars that fail after a couple years.

comptonasskerry
05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I could use some help pulling it out of the car so I can at least make the June event. I'll text Simon this week to see what yours and his availability over the next week or two. I pay helpers in pizza and beer/tequilla.

Me and simon are always down man. Just let one of us know when and we are there. beer and pizza is always good in my book!!!!!!!

BlueTeg
05-10-2009, 10:20 PM
So far, AZ people that I know are in for sure:

1.) Me
2.) Brady
3.) Phil
4.) Simon
5.) Kerry
6.) CJ

Potentials?
Erin Morely
Nolan
Craig
Jeremy W.
Tage

any others that I'm missing?

What time do you guys want to leave? 3:00?

comptonasskerry
05-11-2009, 01:35 AM
where is my name on that list gabe? im with you guys on this one. going fosho

fmx_dbc
05-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm a possible. Just waiting for the MVD on Friday...

BlueTeg
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
doh!! Added your name Kerry.

I heard rumors that CJ is coming to? True or false?

Original post edited with travel time coming from the EV and hotel prices....

topramn
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM

I thought I heard Brady talking about it. If thats the case, you might find Jeremy Renshaw along for the trip as well.

Kinetic
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Gawd i hate that drive to demming

Agent Smith
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
maybe if it was in October or November I'd be down, too freaking hot out now :P

comptonasskerry
05-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm a possible. Just waiting for the MVD on Friday...

Original post edited with travel time coming from the EV and hotel prices....

thanks doooood. idk about cj yet. Have to talk to him and see whats going on.

I thought I heard Brady talking about it. If thats the case, you might find Jeremy Renshaw along for the trip as well.

Oh shit

Stop crying and just come. It's going to be to much fun to miss

maybe if it was in October or November I'd be down, too freaking hot out now :P

shut up justin

SlowCivicHmm
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
^^ u actually driving?? with no NASA or any license?? haha

comptonasskerry
05-11-2009, 11:03 PM

nope. I will get that later when i have a job and can pay for the events in az.

Don't be a hater

Agent Smith
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
shut up justin
Whhhhhat? My sohc daily will pwn any car you build lolz.

nope. I will get that later when i have a job and can pay for the events in az.

Don't be a hater

I'm a hater, but at least I don't like cancer sticks :smoke:

comptonasskerry
05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Whhhhhat? My sohc daily will pwn any car you build lolz.

Like simon said he will let me use his stock daily integra on 175's and i will roll you daily. don't talk about things you have no idea about.

I'm a hater, but at least I don't like cancer sticks :smoke:

what does that have to do with anything? I'm sure I will die because of something else way before cancer gets me.

cjb
05-12-2009, 01:03 AM

Gabe this is the truth, I will be there in the daily whip rockin some TE's with RA1's :)....

just do it...

comptonasskerry
05-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Gabe this is the truth, I will be there in the daily whip rockin some TE's with RA1's :)....

just do it...

where are you gettin these TE's from?

fmx_dbc
05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm getting aroused thinking of driving again...

SlowCivicHmm
05-12-2009, 08:12 AM

I'm not hating.....just being an asshole.....its cool....

I wish I could go...haha

SlowCivicHmm
05-12-2009, 08:15 AM
where are you gettin these TE's from?

i'm guessing......simon rocks gabe's wheels since they are co-driving.....and Cj uses Simons set up...who else hase TE's....lol...

I just pay way too much attention to detail...comes with my job duties...haha

fmx_dbc
05-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Nice observation! Sounds plausible

SlowCivicHmm
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
^^^^ do you concur?? I concur...

Tage
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I just saw this thread.

Gabe, I'd be willing to let you co-drive Casper. My only caveot is having a good tow vehicle by then. I don't think the Denali is up to the task of towing my new trailer up those mountains in the Summer. I am currently looking for bigger tow vehicle though so if that happens before then...

Kinetic
05-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I just saw this thread.

Gabe, I'd be willing to let you co-drive Casper. My only caveot is having a good tow vehicle by then. I don't think the Denali is up to the task of towing my new trailer up those mountains in the Summer. I am currently looking for bigger tow vehicle though so if that happens before then...

its only one set of hills...and they are not that big...

maybe I should go......but I has no race tires

sold the Enkei's

I have 2 sets of AP1 OEM with crappy tires and 1 set of AP2v1 with crappy tires

:ballin:

BlueTeg
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

sold the Enkei's

I have some 215/40/17 R888's that you can have for free. They're actually in great shape. 2/32nds worth of tread, zero tire pickup, no purple ring on the outside from excess heat, 08 manufacture date IIRC.
Call Shakleford or Doug with Race Technik (I got a set of 4 R888's with loads of meat left for $100 from Doug, Shackleford will usually give you his throw aways if you buy the mount/balance for him) to get another pair and you're set.

comptonasskerry
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm getting aroused thinking of driving again...

:grin:

I'm not hating.....just being an asshole.....its cool....

I wish I could go...haha

lol I know man I can't wait

i'm guessing......simon rocks gabe's wheels since they are co-driving.....and Cj uses Simons set up...who else hase TE's....lol...

I just pay way too much attention to detail...comes with my job duties...haha

Dick cj is going to murder me in the daily now.

Nice observation! Sounds plausible

im sure thats the deal

I just saw this thread.

what casper going to new mexico?!

I have some 215/40/17 R888's that you can have for free. They're actually in great shape. 2/32nds worth of tread, zero tire pickup, no purple ring on the outside from excess heat, 08 manufacture date IIRC.
Call Shakleford or Doug with Race Technik (I got a set of 4 R888's with loads of meat left for $100 from Doug, Shackleford will usually give you his throw aways if you buy the mount/balance for him) to get another pair and you're set.

do it dooooood then you can get your ass out there with us man. Can't wait going to be so much fun.

fmx_dbc
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
lol @ Kerry's page of quote replies

comptonasskerry
05-12-2009, 04:03 PM
lol @ Kerry's page of quote replies

I know right. I think im going to be the only person that isnt going to be on race tires at this event. fuck

Tage
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM

sold the Enkei's

Have you ever tried to tow a 7500+# trailer with the aerodynamics of a parachute to NM? What seems like flat ground in a regular car, seems like an eternity in a gasoline powered tow vehicle. There are several monsterout hills on the way and coming out of NM. GM's crappy 4 speed automatic means 2nd gear for most uphill stuff (even slight inclines). Unless you're willing to turn off the AC and floor it and hold redline (which I am not) you're stuck with running most hills at 45MPH. No thank you!

Kinetic
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM

hmmmmmm

i shall check

I have 12
205-40-17 RA-1s that I have no use for now......fail

comptonasskerry
05-13-2009, 12:00 AM
hmmmmmm

i shall check

I have 12

Why do you have 12 of them?

ILIKETODRIVE
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Why do you have 12 of them?

Because he bought all of them at once for uber cheap.

Gabe, if you find a truck worthy of towing Casper, do it. I'll just have to give CJ the bad news about not rocking my TE's...

If I ever got the chance to drive it, I would.

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 09:07 AM

what happened to doing 20 track days this season? LOLOL. Luv u Joser.......... sounds like a fun trip.half ounce ,a 24 pack 'o natty ice,and a few hours on track would be a blast............I should track the wifes Spec V sometime,but that involves going to the track..........hmmmmmmmmmmm

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

LOL Ii drove with NASA for 6 fucking years without being a member. Jeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............and with a suspended liscense for a year to boot...

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Driv ing through ANY part of NM=fail..... Only state worse to drive through is Nebraska.

BlueTeg
05-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I have 12

What do you mean you have no use for them? What better venue to use them at, than a T/A out of state that is really just a 'fun run'. Who cares if they're a bit skinny for your setup. They're essentially free, and losing their value by just sitting at your house not being used, getting older and harder by the day.

True fail would be having the ability to go to this...but ultimately not running because you're not on optimal tires. :smile:

BlueTeg
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Gabe, if you find a truck worthy of towing Casper, do it. I'll just have to give CJ the bad news about not rocking my TE's...

Thanks for understanding. I talked to Tage about it yesterday offline and he/I won't know until the last minute. Either way I would like to go whether it be sharing a seat with you or him, I don't care.

If I drive with him, we'll be using my 949s/RA1s for practice. Presumably you would use your Volks and your RA1s.
I I drive with you, we can use my wheels/tires and CJ can use your tires/wheels.

CJ: if you end not being able to use Simons R-comps give me a call. I may another option for you. :twisted:

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
What do you mean you have no use for them? What better venue to use them at, than a T/A out of state that is really just a 'fun run'. Who cares if they're a bit skinny for your setup. They're essentially free, and losing their value by just sitting at your house not being used, getting older and harder by the day.

True fail would be having the ability to go to this...but ultimately not running because you're not on optimal tires. :smile:

I,like Wards tires,am getting older and harder.

topramn
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
hmmmmmm

i shall check

I have 12

if you mounted a set of those on the 17s that i have in the box still, you could take the orange car to NM and leave the S at home. I will be driving a rental to the GF's house next weekend.

topramn
05-13-2009, 10:16 AM
and if you dont want to go, maybe we could help cj in a worst case scenario that he ends up without tires.

Kinetic
05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
if you mounted a set of those on the 17s that i have in the box still, you could take the orange car to NM and leave the S at home. I will be driving a rental to the GF's house next weekend.

and if you dont want to go, maybe we could help cj in a worst case scenario that he ends up without tires.

if CJ wants to try 17s...Im ok with that.....

Gabe-

205-40-17 on an 8.5 wide ? I'd be mad tite drifter yo

topramn
05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
do you want to take hatch to ASR?

Kinetic
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
do you want to take hatch to ASR?

not really.....

I am track driving my car and my car alone....I can't afford another shifter kart:smirk:

nelsmar
05-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey! I have never gone to the track but would like to go, I cannot find any info on ASR's website about helmets? I am asuming they are required, i have 3 helmets from our motorcycles (they say Snell / Dot on the back but nothing more *shrug*) Would hate to drive down and be told to go home! Also does anyone race on their street tires and drive home on them? ;x Kind of scares me haha. Just dont have the money to go pickup another set of wheels + tires right now, just bought a car last week. Picked up an S2000 with plans of taking it to the track. I know i sound like a noob but hey i am! :)

topramn
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
not really.....

I am track driving my car and my car alone....I can't afford another shifter kart:smirk:

isnt ASR similar to FIR west in that it has lots of dirt run off. you werent familiar with karts so i can understand that but you are very seasoned in cars. either way is no biggie to me. just an idea worth mentioning.

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
talk to the guy above you. You guys can talk about s2k's all day long,assuming you at least offer a reacharound.

topramn
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey! I have never gone to the track but would like to go, I cannot find any info on ASR's website about helmets? I am asuming they are required, i have 3 helmets from our motorcycles (they say Snell / Dot on the back but nothing more *shrug*) Would hate to drive down and be told to go home! Also does anyone race on their street tires and drive home on them? ;x Kind of scares me haha. Just dont have the money to go pickup another set of wheels + tires right now, just bought a car last week. Picked up an S2000 with plans of taking it to the track. I know i sound like a noob but hey i am! :)

welcome. many people start on street tires. if you are new, i suggest bugging one of the regulars to give you a ride and show you some pointers to get you started.

nelsmar
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I would def be up for a ride! :P how about rules with helmets, do you have to have your car checked, licensing? i know nothing :(

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 10:57 AM
make sure its safe,has tread on the tires,and isnt a POS in general.As far as helmets,I forgot..........

nelsmar
05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Check Check check, and hhmm, i probably just need to get off my rear and buy a pair of helmets but cant for a mo or two, need to save some $$ for a second set of tires.

topramn
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
motorcycle helmet will probably get the job done this time around.

nelsmar
05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
just afraid of "probably" if i get there and they say I am not aloud to race after a 4.5 hour drive and a pre-paid hotel room lol and forcing my gf to sit in that thing they called a passenger seat (her knee's touch the dash lol)

topramn
05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Jeremy over at UMS Tuning should be able to tell you whether or not your helmet meets the standards. Most organizations and tracks use the same rules as far as helmets goes.

If you still arent sure, call or email Roger at ASR (575-494-4794) Roger@arroyosecoraceway.com

ILIKETODRIVE
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for understanding. I talked to Tage about it yesterday offline and he/I won't know until the last minute. Either way I would like to go whether it be sharing a seat with you or him, I don't care.

If I drive with him, we'll be using my 949s/RA1s for practice. Presumably you would use your Volks and your RA1s.
If I drive with you, we can use my wheels/tires and CJ can use your tires/wheels.

CJ: if you end not being able to use Simons R-comps give me a call. I may another option for you. :twisted:

Word. I'm going to be changing my spring rates (from 8K/6K to 10K/8K) and adding a bigger rear bar (from 22mm to 25.4mm) for this weekend. I might start off using my tires on Saturday either way. I'm finally comfortable with my driving ability that I want to try to setup the car to be a little loooser and easier to drive. Fighting understeer is finally getting boring, lol. I figure I should do it now before I go to Cal Speedway in August.

I,like Wards tires,am getting older and harder.

lolz

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
just afraid of "probably" if i get there and they say I am not aloud to race after a 4.5 hour drive and a pre-paid hotel room lol and forcing my gf to sit in that thing they called a passenger seat (her knee's touch the dash lol)

Remember these words....... IT IS NOT RACING. ...................and you will be ok....

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Word. I'm going to be changing my spring rates (from 8K/6K to 10K/8K) and adding a bigger rear bar (from 22mm to 25.4mm) for this weekend. I might start off using my tires on Saturday either way. I'm finally comfortable with my driving ability that I want to try to setup the car to be a little loooser and easier to drive. Fighting understeer is finally getting boring, lol. I figure I should do it now before I go to Cal Speedway in August.

lolz

Tis true. Got the big 30 damn near here,and I am sure my arteries are hardening as I type this.....................And understeer,lol,is always a blast.Nothing better than turning,and going straight. It's like hydroplaning at 80 on the freeway. good times.

BlueTeg
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM

PM sent. I have a helmet that you can use.

PhoenixB16
05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Thats very sweet of you Gabester!

BlueTeg
05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
205-40-17 on an 8.5 wide ?

You're right, that would be a lame match.

but.....

BlueTeg
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
1. Also does anyone race on their street tires

2. and drive home on them?

3. Just dont have the money to go pickup another set of wheels + tires right now,

4. Picked up an S2000 with plans of taking it to the track. I know i sound like a noob but hey i am! :)

1. Yeah, actually alot of people do, depending on class, budget, etc.

2. I drive home on my race compound tires (RA1 and NT01) after every event, you'll be fine with street tires.

3. Welcome to the club. :)

4. I don't want to discourage you from tracking your car, but I would think twice about participating in this event if you have never driven on a race track before. Its not as simple as just strapping on a helmet and running your car. There are alot of techniques regarding steering, braking, and accelerating that are vital to keeping you, your car, and others on track safe. At an event like this they do not separate the talent levels, so you will be on track with people of all different abilities, all of which have more experience than you. The difference between a guy that has been on track less than 3 times, 3-10 times, and 10+ times is huge. Especially in a FR car, you're much more prone to spinning the car from inputs that are fine on the street at low speeds, but not fine on the track at the limit.
The safest way to start to learn how to race your car is at an HPDE (high peformance driving event) where they give you a classroom session to explain the do's and dont's of driving on a race track, everything from extracting the most performance out of your car to leaving with your car in one piece. Most orgs will pair you with an instructor for the duration of the day to show you the line, and make sure that you're incorporating the techniques from the classroom session. This is waaaay more efficient than driving all over the track and getting passed by everyone, not because your car sucks or you suck, but because you don't know the line and have not been taught the basics.

There is an HPDE coming up in a few weeks here in Phoenix. It is being offered by NASA Arizona.
Go here to learn more about NASA AZ.
http://www.nasaaz.com/about/
http://forums.nasaaz.com/

nelsmar
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for invo blueteg, ill check out those sites :) Maybe ill pass on this event and look at HPDE to start with, I was living in NE idaho for a few years and they had NOTHING within 5 hours moved here and was excited that there were a lot of tracks around and was looking around for something i could DD/Track on weekends (which is where i am now).

Kinetic
05-13-2009, 01:26 PM
You're right, that would be a lame match.

but.....

I'll check into it gabe

cjb
05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

I I drive with you, we can use my wheels/tires and CJ can use your tires/wheels.

sounds good.

Tage
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/907

Only $109 for HPDE1 and it will save you and your GF about 8 hours worth of mindless driving called a commute...

ILIKETODRIVE
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/907

Only $109 for HPDE1 and it will save you and your GF about 8 hours worth of mindless driving called a commute...

True story.

Do it!

nelsmar
05-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Yup i get paid tomorrow :) going to register in the morning. Had to get my shift at work re-scheduled to go. Thanks for the direction guys! :D

BlueTeg
05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
CJ / Phil / Simon / Kerry / Nolan:
What time do you guys want to bust out of Phoenix? I presume we'll want to caravan down there?

Kinetic
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
have fun guys!

ILIKETODRIVE
05-24-2009, 11:50 PM
So only me/Phil/Gabe/Kerry made it but it was a total blast! ASR rocks! :thumbsup:

Agent Smith
05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
what was everyone's best time?

fmx_dbc
05-25-2009, 09:24 AM
I would have loved to go but I just submitted all the paperwork to the MVD so I can drive again....yay!

Kidloco
05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for making the drive Fellas it great to meet you all! You guys have some well built fast cars!
I'll make sure to have Stock post up the pics when they are done.

Stock
05-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Yes sah, massa, right away sah!

I'm working on getting 819 down to around ~100, it'll be a couple of days guys! :hello:

fmx_dbc
05-25-2009, 12:46 PM
thats a lot of pics! cant wait to see some

Agent Smith
05-25-2009, 03:07 PM
x2! I want to see pics & results :P

BlueTeg
05-25-2009, 04:53 PM
what was everyone's best time?

I don't think they have times posted anywhere yet.

Results from Saturday in Class A:
1.) Some dude in a white Lexus with a turbo 2JZ swap (I'm still questioning if this thing is Class A legal)
2.) Phil
3.) Simon
4.) Me
5.) Some dude in an S2000
Can't remember the last 2 cars

Can't thank Simon enough for letting me co-drive his car. That thing was a blast to drive!!

BlueTeg
05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
x2! I want to see pics & results :P

Here are a few from the ASR website (presumably taken by the track owner Roger)
http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/MaySuperlap/gallery/index.html

Tage
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Yo Simon! When are you going to get that door fixed?

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/MaySuperlap/gallery/pages/MaySuperlap77.html

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Haha! Soon! I just got my insurance check last week. Time to go hunting for a black or gray door! ;)

My time in the TA was a 1:21.9 (counterclockwise). Most of my times were clocked between 1:21.9-1:22.2 during practice. To compare: Brady in his near stock white ITR with the same tires as me (205/50 RA-1's) did a 1:22.5 last year. Both him and Tim (kidloco) said my time was fast for my car so I'm super happy with it! :crazy:

I didn't go as fast as I would have liked to on Sunday but clockwise config is tricky!

Tage
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice! Someday I'll make it out there...

I am glad I didn't go though as I discovered that my front tires were corded and one of my rear shocks was broken/seized! No wonder the car wasn't working at the last event! :-)

Stock
05-26-2009, 09:31 AM
1.) Some dude in a white Lexus with a turbo 2JZ swap (I'm still questioning if this thing is Class A legal)

All I'll say about that car is that it's one of the only regulars that's been both corner balanced and dynoed... Granted we're only running on the honor system, compare his lap times to others in the class and it's usually pretty close. :thumbsup:

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I am glad I didn't go though as I discovered that my front tires were corded and one of my rear shocks was broken/seized! No wonder the car wasn't working at the last event! :-)

dAng! Corded Hoosiers before they fell off the face of the Earth? Nice!

Get that Koni rebuilt and join me and Phil for Cal Speedway July 31st-Aug 2nd! :crazy:

fmx_dbc
05-26-2009, 11:13 AM
mmmm fun!

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 11:17 AM
ASR Super Lap #5 is in mid-Oct. We should roll out there in force! :crazy:

BlueTeg
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
All I'll say about that car is that it's one of the only regulars that's been both corner balanced and dynoed... Granted we're only running on the honor system, compare his lap times to others in the class and it's usually pretty close. :thumbsup:

If he's dynoing less than 260 whp then its completely plausible. But giving him the benefit of the doubt, assuming he's done zero weight reduction (those Lexus weigh ~3500lbs.) + driver ~175, means that if he's pushing more than 260HP at the wheels he's got a lower power to weight ratio than 14:1. I have no idea what the norm is for the boosted 2JZ motors, but just ran some numbers in my head on the way home and it seemed like a conservative output given the engine.

I also saw a post on the cruces board that he was running a higher boost wastegate spring this weekend which he estimates was good for an extra 30-40 hp. Which means that prior to that modification he would have had to be in the 220-230whp range. If the dyno charts you've seen are in that range, then absolutely its a legal A-class car. Or maybe he's running with a few plates straped to floor pan in the back for ballast. (?)

Not trying to stir up any trouble. I had an awesome time running with you guys this weekend. Tim and the rest of the gang were very welcoming to us ASR noobs. :)
Wish you guys were a little closer to us, I wouldn't mind making that a yearly trip with some of these guys.

BlueTeg
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

I really need to get a tow rig.....
:hithead:

That drive would be fucking miserable with our short 5th gears. You and Phil = teh diesel

topramn
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Yo Simon! When are you going to get that door fixed?

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/MaySuperlap/gallery/pages/MaySuperlap77.html

is that a nice way of saying he is violating the 50/50 rule?

Stock
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Not trying to stir up any trouble.

No harm done, shit like this keeps the series fair. I urge you to voice any issues on CrucesStreets so that everyone involved with the event can hear and address any concerns. :)

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Haha, maybe...

I have awhile until the Cal Speedway event. Plenty of time.

BlueTeg
05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
No harm done, shit like this keeps the series fair. I urge you to voice any issues on CrucesStreets so that everyone involved with the event can hear and address any concerns. :)

I definitely don't care about it enough to voice a concern on the local board. Especially when I don't know the specifics of his setup. He may very well likely have the setup A legal and then I would like an asshole :) Nothing like getting a warm welcome from the locals and then returning the hospitality with something like that. Its not like we were competiting for money or anything. Nor do we (the Phoenix guys) compete often enough to go for the 'series championship'. I think I speak for Simon, Phil, and Kerry on this one and we just went up there because we enjoy tracking the cars. I had fun, and at the end of the day I would rather have fun driving with you guys than take 3rd place in the Super Lap Competition and not had any fun.

I don't want you think that there is any bad blood or mixed feelings about Abe or anyone from your group.
Cheers.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I think I speak for Simon, Phil, and Kerry on this one and we just went up there because we enjoy tracking the cars. I had fun, and at the end of the day I would rather have fun driving with you guys than take 3rd place in the Super Lap Competition and not had any fun.

I don't want you think that there is any bad blood or mixed feelings about Abe or anyone from your group.
Cheers.

Troof. :thumbup:

Kinetic
05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I protest

2JZs make a crap ton of power.........

nah...j/k

I ordered star specs today for my stock AP2 wheels so I can go next time

Importfan2
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
man i cant wait to see the pics.. and maybe next time i can share some of the memories of trackin...

BlueTeg
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I think Simon has some video of our time attack laps (mine and his) too.

Hopefully he upload them this week.

Phantomeg
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Looks like alot of us would like to go back to Arroyo Seco in October...I can honestly tell the peeps that didn't go that Tim, Roger and the Cruces Streets crew put on an awesome event!!!!

Next time we'll get Yucca right...:crazy:

P.S. Tim, thanks for letting me do some lappin' in your Bad Ass EVO!!! :thumbup:

ILIKETODRIVE
05-26-2009, 07:01 PM
P.S. Tim, thanks for letting me do some lappin' in your Bad Ass EVO!!! :thumbup:

x2! BOING!! :thumbsup:

Kidloco
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Looks like alot of us would like to go back to Arroyo Seco in October...I can honestly tell the peeps that didn't go that Tim, Roger and the Cruces Streets crew put on an awesome event!!!!

I hope you all make for the October event weather should be bitchin!

Yucca turn takes some practice. Everyone I know takes that turn differently.:tongue:

SlowCivicHmm
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
^^ I'd like to bum a ride in October......go hang...extra hands.....etc etc......won't be tracking.......

The Trip sounds like it was a BLAST!

Stock
05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I definitely don't care about it enough to voice a concern on the local board. Especially when I don't know the specifics of his setup. He may very well likely have the setup A legal and then I would like an asshole :) Nothing like getting a warm welcome from the locals and then returning the hospitality with something like that. Its not like we were competiting for money or anything. Nor do we (the Phoenix guys) compete often enough to go for the 'series championship'. I think I speak for Simon, Phil, and Kerry on this one and we just went up there because we enjoy tracking the cars. I had fun, and at the end of the day I would rather have fun driving with you guys than take 3rd place in the Super Lap Competition and not had any fun.

Cheers.

Don't worry man, nothing you said was misconstrued. Hope to see you guys out there soon!

BTW, I was the dude in the wagon taking pics. :smile:

ILIKETODRIVE
05-27-2009, 08:35 AM
BTW, I was the dude in the wagon taking pics. :smile:

Your Wagovan is sick!

(I was driving the gray DC4)

Kidloco
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Simon what suspension setup you running?

ILIKETODRIVE
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Simon what suspension setup you running?

Tein HA's with 8K/6K rates (swapping to 10K/8K this week). 25mm JDM ITR front bar, 22mm USDM rear bar (swapping to a 25.4mm Ground Control rear bar this week). 0* toe front/rear, -2.5* camber front, -1.8* camber rear.

The is super predictable and easy to drive, but it also understeers a bit. I'm going to try to give up a bit of that predictability for less body roll and less understeer. I can always dial in a little positive toe in the rear to help keep it in check.

Kidloco
05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet man. You will have to let me drive it next time ;)

ILIKETODRIVE
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Sweet man. You will have to let me drive it next time ;)

For sure! :clapper:

Tage
05-27-2009, 04:44 PM

LOL! Yes it is! I'm giving Simon slack since I know he's getting it fixed via insurance. If he was doing out of state track days and ignoring the damage that would be a different story though... ;)

Tein HA's with 8K/6K rates (swapping to 10K/8K this week). 25mm JDM ITR front bar, 22mm USDM rear bar (swapping to a 25.4mm Ground Control rear bar this week). 0* toe front/rear, -2.5* camber front, -1.8* camber rear.

The is super predictable and easy to drive, but it also understeers a bit. I'm going to try to give up a bit of that predictability for less body roll and less understeer. I can always dial in a little positive toe in the rear to help keep it in check.

Dude, just take out a little rear camber (i.e. 1-1.5 deg) and it will start to rotate yet still be predicable and you won't have to spend any money then.

I am definitely putting the Oct event down on my calendar. I'm also considering the July event if I get a new tow rig I want.

Phantomeg
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Still waiting for Stock to post some more pics from the New Mexico ASR event...:thumbup:

Stock
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Editing now. I love shooting, but I hate "events"... Thinning the heard of ~820 pics, FML.

Stock
05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Alright, down to 127 edits. Made it easy on myself and just kept a majority of the sharp shots, rather than worrying about certain cars getting more edits than others.

So when you see an overload of the blue Datsun, just understand that my 40D LOVED that car and 95% of the shots I nabbed of it were tack sharp. ;)

cjb
05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
:wave:LOL! Yes it is! I'm giving Simon slack since I know he's getting it fixed via insurance. If he was doing out of state track days and ignoring the damage that would be a different story though....;)

I really LOL'd at this.. Simon now you HAVE to get another door and paint it.

comptonasskerry
05-28-2009, 02:52 AM
So only me/Phil/Gabe/Kerry made it but it was a total blast! ASR rocks! :thumbsup:

i must say that it was a fun event and a very fun track. tim and roger are cool doods fosho. hope to get my hatch crap out there next event.

Thanks for making the drive Fellas it great to meet you all! You guys have some well built fast cars!

it was great meeting you man. hope next time i will be driving my car on track.

Yes sah, massa, right away sah!

I'm working on getting 819 down to around ~100, it'll be a couple of days guys! :hello:

doooood your wago was sick man. and holy damn 819 pics i would not be able to go tho all those pics.

Here are a few from the ASR website (presumably taken by the track owner Roger)
http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/MaySuperlap/gallery/index.html

some good pics in there

down.

I think Simon has some video of our time attack laps (mine and his) too.

Hopefully he upload them this week.

i will see what i can do on gettin the videos up for you

that damn yucca. lol yea man everyone there was chill fosho. great event. hope more az people roll next time.

I hope you all make for the October event weather should be bitchin!

Yucca turn takes some practice. Everyone I know takes that turn differently.:tongue:

cant wait.

^^ I'd like to bum a ride in October......go hang...extra hands.....etc etc......won't be tracking.......

The Trip sounds like it was a BLAST!

take teh daily there man. lol

:wave:

I really LOL'd at this.. Simon now you HAVE to get another door and paint it.

i know right. he is screwed.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM

I already own the 10K's and I already bought the rear bar off of Eric Woods for a great price. After selling my ITR bar, it's a wash. I've already tried going from a little toe-in in the rear and about -2.2* camber in the rear to 0 toe and -1.8* camber. The car doesn't feel much different, honestly.

Well, looks like my lunches at work are going to be spent hunting down a door instead of eating! :crazy:

fmx_dbc
05-28-2009, 08:01 AM
...shoulda kept that ITR bar... Just my $0.02
I understand not everyone likes the same setup

Tage
05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I've already tried going from a little toe-in in the rear and about -2.2* camber in the rear to 0 toe and -1.8* camber. The car doesn't feel much different, honestly.

FWIW, at one point I was at -1.0 deg and about 1/8" toe OUT in the rear before the car rotated the way I wanted it to...

fmx_dbc
05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
...I couldn't drive the setup Mervin had...felt like the opposite of what I was used to with the CRX

BlueTeg
05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
FWIW, at one point I was at -1.0 deg and about 1/8" toe OUT in the rear before the car rotated the way I wanted it to...

LOL, after riding shotgun with you in my own car, I don't know too many drivers that can keep a car on track with the amount of rotation that you like. :rflmao:

ILIKETODRIVE
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
LOL, after riding shotgun with you in my own car, I don't know too many drivers that can keep a car on track with the amount of rotation that you like. :rflmao:

Haha :rflmao:

I forgot to add that I'm getting 225 NT-01's. My 205 RA-1's are almost done and since Toyo doesn't make the RA-1 anymore, I'd have to add even more ballast than I already need to to stay in TTE with 205 R888's/NT-01's. SO I figured I could add no ballast, do some suspension stuff that *might* compliment the 225's and be able to add more stuff to the car for TTD.

Stock
05-28-2009, 07:50 PM
PICS ARE UP!

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98198