PDA

View Full Version : k24 in an ep3

akshun_ep3
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Anyone have any idea what I would need to put a k24a4 motor from an accord into my ep3 SI. From what I'm told so far is I should have the ecu and harness sent in and have it chipped adn wired for the k24. Am I missing anything esle?

PhoenixB16
05-22-2009, 05:58 PM
harness is fine as is,get kpro,and the UPPER MOTOR MOUNT FROM AN 04 CRV. I left that in caps because without it the motor will not sit right. Might want to block of the EGR. I had a k24 fom an element in an 02 waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day........... EASY AS HELL to do this swap.

RSXnCRF
05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
another a4 swap? This is the second one ive heard of going into an ep3. I can only assume that youll have almost zero gains just like the other guy(MINIMAL torque gains and nothing for HP gains). I seriously cant justify doing the swap. just my .02...

Justin, mind chiming in and donating your knowledge?

PhoenixB16
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Let me tell you,the difference between that motor and the a3 are H U G E. I had a k24a1,and it was hands down a different car...It was almost a full second faster than the shitty abortion that is the k20a3..........Oh,when I mentioned changing the mount,you want the upper PASSENGER side from a CRV,just to be clear................Hell,i did this swap right after HASport did their TSX swap,way back in 02-03,and its STILL going strong ( Ryan on this site now owns the car,and can testify that itll rape anything with an a3 in it)

akshun_ep3
05-22-2009, 06:44 PM
I am in the process of buying an accord a4 and trading it for a cr-v a1 cause I heard with the a4 there might be clearance issues with the pistons if I wanted to put an k20a2 head on for a fraknstein down the road.

akshun_ep3
05-22-2009, 06:49 PM
harness is fine as is,get kpro,and the UPPER MOTOR MOUNT FROM AN 04 CRV. I left that in caps because without it the motor will not sit right. Might want to block of the EGR. I had a k24 fom an element in an 02 waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day........... EASY AS HELL to do this swap.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Any idea who can get me a kpro in Phx, lwant to compare prices. Right now I'm on a tight budget at the worst time. My grandfather, head in my family passed, taking care of his or my farms and home now, going to school, ex-gf just left me, with a ton of her bills too, and finally a new truck. But I'm trying to make it work with out working...shit!!!

EFin4Dr
05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
a1 is a much better option if you want to eventually put an a2 head on it. if you keep your a4 then youll have to put new pistons in it.

PhoenixB16
05-22-2009, 06:58 PM
www.locashracing.com Can't beat good ol Joe.........

jus-lookn03
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
just go with a straight k24a2 well worth it in an ep

tanman
05-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Good luck. Locash is awesome. I used to live in farmington.

TK-421
05-23-2009, 02:24 AM
k24's amd Locash ftw :thumbup:

akshun_ep3
05-23-2009, 07:54 AM
So its best to contact Locash an let them know what I'm doing and see what they advise?

PhoenixB16
05-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Just get a k24a1,they are dirt cheap,use YOUR tranny,Call Joe( Locash) and set something up so you can get a K Pro and a tune. Easy as that.If you need to know anyhting about the a1 PM me. I have forgotten more than most know....

RSXnCRF
05-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Let me tell you,the difference between that motor and the a3 are H U G E. I had a k24a1,and it was hands down a different car...It was almost a full second faster than the shitty abortion that is the k20a3..........Oh,when I mentioned changing the mount,you want the upper PASSENGER side from a CRV,just to be clear................Hell,i did this swap right after HASport did their TSX swap,way back in 02-03,and its STILL going strong ( Ryan on this site now owns the car,and can testify that itll rape anything with an a3 in it)

LOL ROFLCOPTER LMAO. I can assure you that the a1 and a4 are VERY different. I currently have a k24a1/k20a2 frank in my car. The a1 is hands down more efficient than the a4. Not to mention the a4 is a pain in the ass to do a frank with. The biggest issue is having to replace the stock pistons with either aftermarket or stock tsx pistons, and thats not the end of it.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Any idea who can get me a kpro in Phx, lwant to compare prices. Right now I'm on a tight budget at the worst time. My grandfather, head in my family passed, taking care of his or my farms and home now, going to school, ex-gf just left me, with a ton of her bills too, and finally a new truck. But I'm trying to make it work with out working...shit!!!

Trade the a4 for the a1 shortblock. Get a k20a2 head to throw on it(Ive found a complete head on clubrsx.com sell for 500 before). Pick up the front passenger mount from an 04 crv and your definitely going to need race mounts(I went with Innovative 75a's). Then call joe about getting you set up with kpro and a tune. Your going to have clearance issues with your header so its best to do a cat delete and go with a quality race header(ssr is your best bet but the dcrh will do the job). In all honestly, the only thing I regret about this build is not upgrading my pistons and rods during the build. The block cant keep up with the head in the higher rpms and burns oil like kuwait after 6k rpms. I know Ive left a couple things out but joe at locash can pretty much do this swap with his eyes closed by now so double check with him on what I've missed, but I think I got all the big stuff.

If your at all wondering, k24a1/k20a2, Innovative mounts, RBC Intake Mani, AEM CAI, DCRH, Skunk2 Mega Power RR, CC Stage 4, Exedy 8lb Flywheel, and Good ole Kpro ;) All done with a GREAT locash tune with my rev limiter set all the way up at 7800 and I dont sweat it at all.

dc5 types
05-23-2009, 02:30 PM
im currently in the process of putting a k24a4/k20 head in my rsx. i did things right and replaced the pistons/rods with cp pistons and RS machine h-beam rods. it'll be in the car in about 2 weeks. you can't go wrong with a k24. the good ole saying is there is no replacement for displacement. the torque alone is reason enough to do the swap. hey seaver, what were your power and torque numbers?

RSXnCRF
05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
im currently in the process of putting a k24a4/k20 head in my rsx. i did things right and replaced the pistons/rods with cp pistons and RS machine h-beam rods. it'll be in the car in about 2 weeks. you can't go wrong with a k24. the good ole saying is there is no replacement for displacement. the torque alone is reason enough to do the swap. hey seaver, what were your power and torque numbers?

218whp 176tq on stock internals. Starting the funding process for my next build probably sometime at the end of this year. Going aggressive SC build with water/meth and aftercooler. Ive been looking into this twin screw proto that someone on clubrsx has done. They did it on a full k20a2 though and it still looked like clearance was an issue so Im not 100% on if itll fit or not. Either way, I know im gunna have to fork out the dough for EPS. I think ill be glad I did in the end though. My goal is over 350whp w/o nitrous.

akshun_ep3
05-24-2009, 08:34 AM
I hear alot of the external parts on the motor for my a3 can go onto the k24, such as the intake manifold, starter, AC, power steering and altenator

RSXnCRF
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I hear alot of the external parts on the motor for my a3 can go onto the k24, such as the intake manifold, starter, AC, power steering and altenator

your ep3 comes with eps... Its basically every sc'd k20/k24 owners best friend. Since its not pulley driven, you can definitely keep it. Are you doing a full k24 or putting a 2.0 head on it right away? Im not too familiar with the a3 components so is there anybody else that could help him out? I think AC, starter, and alternator still fit, my only question is the Intake mani, but if it doesnt fit, I have my stock PRB intake mani that you could try out. The prb will flow a lot better(not as well as the rbc but it will still be an improvement). Especially with the 2.4

akshun_ep3
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
For right now I am just putting in the k24. Need my ride running asap. Burning too much gas using my truck. I have an a2 head sourced out now and my buddy is holding it for me. I am planning on runnig out to Phx friday to pic up the motor and try to source any other parts I need such as the CR-V mount. I was wondering too if I needed a new clutch and flywheel for the k24 or will the extra exedy and fidanza on I have for the k20a3 work?

dc5 types
05-24-2009, 04:34 PM
i have a type S flywheel that i'll sell to you if you need one. i don't know if the a3 clutch flywheel will work or not.

RSXnCRF
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
For right now I am just putting in the k24. Need my ride running asap. Burning too much gas using my truck. I have an a2 head sourced out now and my buddy is holding it for me. I am planning on runnig out to Phx friday to pic up the motor and try to source any other parts I need such as the CR-V mount. I was wondering too if I needed a new clutch and flywheel for the k24 or will the extra exedy and fidanza on I have for the k20a3 work?

probably be alright as long as the clutch is aftermarket. I know a guy thats used exedy oem style and got away with it, and I HAD a stage 2 but I fried it in 4 months. I upgraded to stage 4 and havent had anymore problems. Thats your judgement though man.

EJ6-4DR
05-25-2009, 12:28 AM

word i drove it tonight it gets the fuck down

PhoenixB16
05-30-2009, 10:57 AM
LOL ROFLCOPTER LMAO. I can assure you that the a1 and a4 are VERY different. I currently have a k24a1/k20a2 frank in my car. The a1 is hands down more efficient than the a4. Not to mention the a4 is a pain in the ass to do a frank with. The biggest issue is having to replace the stock pistons with either aftermarket or stock tsx pistons, and thats not the end of it.

Trade the a4 for the a1 shortblock. Get a k20a2 head to throw on it(Ive found a complete head on clubrsx.com sell for 500 before). Pick up the front passenger mount from an 04 crv and your definitely going to need race mounts(I went with Innovative 75a's). Then call joe about getting you set up with kpro and a tune. Your going to have clearance issues with your header so its best to do a cat delete and go with a quality race header(ssr is your best bet but the dcrh will do the job). In all honestly, the only thing I regret about this build is not upgrading my pistons and rods during the build. The block cant keep up with the head in the higher rpms and burns oil like kuwait after 6k rpms. I know Ive left a couple things out but joe at locash can pretty much do this swap with his eyes closed by now so double check with him on what I've missed, but I think I got all the big stuff.

If your at all wondering, k24a1/k20a2, Innovative mounts, RBC Intake Mani, AEM CAI, DCRH, Skunk2 Mega Power RR, CC Stage 4, Exedy 8lb Flywheel, and Good ole Kpro ;) All done with a GREAT locash tune with my rev limiter set all the way up at 7800 and I dont sweat it at all.

I do not know what is so funny...I was comparing the a3 to the k24a1...... .That motor (k24a1)will KILL an EP with a k20a3.I know the differences between motors,believe it or not. Thats the point I was making,since I have owned both............I have the slightest idea where all the head swapping talk came from,since he did not ask about it......... To the OP,go but a k24a1,use your tranny,and be done with it.

PhoenixB16
05-30-2009, 11:05 AM
word i drove it tonight it gets the fuck down

Word. I miss that car. Nothing better than doing k swaps with hand tools and floorjacks.I can not believe i did it almost 7 years ago.....

JustinD
06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I do not know what is so funny...I was comparing the a3 to the k24a1...... .That motor (k24a1)will KILL an EP with a k20a3.

True.

The a3 is a piece of shit.

myself however, would not want to go through all the trouble of doing the swap and not just do a k20a2 head on there at the same time..

but, k24a1/a4 will feel COMPLETELY different than the a3 in an ep....just not worth the work in my opinion.

akshun_ep3
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Passenger/upper motor mount...would it be #3 or #4 or both?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/akshun_00/crvmount.png

Falcon7
06-06-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/images/illustration/59/516807.png

It's part number 1 in the picture.

The part number is 11910-PPA-000 The website is hondapartsdeals.com

If you go to the dealer, take the picture with you for reference because sometimes the part numbers change.

Falcon7
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Also, if you're using the A4 block you won't be able to use your PRB intake manifold. The accord head is setup like a TSX and 06+ Si head. The plus side is that you can bolt an RBC (or 2006+ Si) intake manifold on without any modification.

*EDIT* I see that you sourced an A2 head, so your PRB intake manifold will work fine with that.

Falcon7
06-06-2009, 09:22 AM

The starter, AC, and alternator will all bolt up fine. Use the AC bracket off your A3 and you'll be in good shape.

Falcon7
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM

The exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel will work fine. As long at the clutch and flywheel mate up together you're doing ok. It will bolt up to your K24.

The thing about most aftermarket K series clutches is that they're all made for K20A2 and K20A flywheel. (if you ever read the fine print on some Exedy clutch auctions on ebay they tell you to use the type S flywheel or whichever flywheel part number they're selling)

Anyways, I hope this info helps. I was trying to respond to as many posts as I could.