PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad questions

crxhfb16
05-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I was wonder what brake pads fellow track and autox enthusiast would recommend I don’t want something that is really aggressive that will make my wheels lock when I’m braking into a corner but I need something that will slow me down from 110mph quickly without overheating. I was wondering if anyone has any track experience using EBC green stuff pads or any other manufacture that would suit my needs. Im also going to upgrade to a set of slotted rotors to help with heat disapation. Thanks in advanced

BlueTeg
05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Is the pad going to be a street/track pad or strictly track pad?

Forget the slotted rotors. Get a set of blanks....more material on the rotor means that they'll perform better as a heatsink.

crxhfb16
05-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Is the pad going to be a street/track pad or strictly track pad?

Forget the slotted rotors. Get a set of blanks....more material on the rotor means that they'll perform better as a heatsink.

thanks for the advise on the rotors i know there are many differnt opinions when it comes to them. And yes street/track pad.

Agent Smith
05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
What tires do you plan on running?

I hated my EBC's didn't bite worth a damn.

For an auto-x pad I absolutely love PBR Ultimate Ceramics/Axxis Ultimates, great initial bite without being too harsh or causing lock ups.

Most people are likely going to recommend Hawk HP+ pads as a good compromise street/track, nothing wrong with them...

BlueTeg
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM
:whatever:

LOL. R U serious?
Slotted rotors do nothing for removing heat from the braking system, which is why you said you were going to get them. And which is why I posted that so you don't waste your money on parts that won't accomplish what you're looking for.

Are you overheating your current setup?

I am a fan of Cobalt Brakes. The CSR looks to be the correct pad application for you. I've tried their spec B, VR, and XR3s and have been really pleased with all of them given the application.

crxhfb16
05-24-2009, 04:33 PM
LOL. R U serious?
Slotted rotors do nothing for removing heat from the braking system, which is why you said you were going to get them. And which is why I posted that so you don't waste your money on parts that won't accomplish what you're looking for.

Are you overheating your current setup?

I am a fan of Cobalt Brakes. The CSR looks to be the correct pad application for you. I've tried their spec B, VR, and XR3s and have been really pleased with all of them given the application.

yeah sorry about that i must of accidently clicked the whatever smilie when i made the post, i wasnt trying to be sarcastic. i appreciate your advise. yes im currently running duralast golds and they over heat very quickly. i was running azenis rt-65 the first time it happen i had to slow from 120mph and they were done i almost didnt make it lol.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
The Colbalt brakes Gabey mentioned would work awesome. I'm going to switch from Carbotechs to Cobalts for my next brake setup.

dantana
05-25-2009, 08:11 AM
you should always match your brake pads to your tires as Agent Smith tried to get at.
that being said what tires are you running??
cobalts are overpriced and repackaged manned by a larger company, cut out the middle man and order some hawks or raybestos:d3:

crxhfb16
05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
when i autox i use kumho v710's and on the street hankook ventus HR 2's

Agent Smith
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
why not get two sets of pads, one for the street & one for the track? only takes but a couple of minutes to swap them, especially if your swapping to the v710's anyways...

Kinetic
05-25-2009, 04:42 PM
why not get two sets of pads, one for the street & one for the track? only takes but a couple of minutes to swap them, especially if your swapping to the v710's anyways...

couldn't agree more....

Also Dan was right in matching your pads to your tires.....

crxhfb16
05-25-2009, 10:20 PM

well when i post that they over heat when slowing from 110mph thats on the street and switching pads is a little hardcore for me the car only gets about 40miles a week driven on the street unless im driving it to an event.

Agent Smith
05-25-2009, 10:27 PM
HP+'s & be done with it, when you want more braking on the track upgrade to a track only pad...

crxhfb16
05-25-2009, 10:30 PM
HP+'s & be done with it, when you want more braking on the track upgrade to a track only pad...

just looked them up they seems just like what im looking for thanks.

Tage
05-26-2009, 08:59 AM
+1 for Hawk HP+ pads. Best dual purpose pad I've ever driven.

crxhfb16
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
im ordering a set of the HP + this Friday thanks everyone for the help.

PhoenixR
05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
hawk hp+ / blue FRONT
cheapest autozone pads you can find REAR

i find that our cars have way to much rear bias when running any (even 4040) honda prop valve.

josh
05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
i say go with hawk or carbotech pads

Agent Smith
05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
hawk hp+ / blue FRONT
cheapest autozone pads you can find REAR

i find that our cars have way too much rear bias when running any (even 4040) honda prop valve.

Too much rear bias? Hmm... Not a common story I've heard.

dantana
05-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Too much rear bias? Hmm... Not a common story I've heard.
curious who you've talked to on the matter.

im with tony on cheapy autozone rears, ive locked up many many rear pads regardless of prop valves:doobie:

Tage
05-28-2009, 09:26 AM
IMO, Honda's (when stock) don't have enough rear bias. To test this I used to pull up the parking brake while braking hard (straight or in a corner) and I still couldn't lock the rears. The challenge is finding the right pad for the rear. If you put too aggressive of a pad on the rear it's way too easy to lock them up (as I have done multiple times - due to several different reasons). Going with a cheap rear pad will always *work* as far as ensuring you're not locking up the rears but my opinion is that it's far from the optimal setup.