PDA

View Full Version : a little off page and topic

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
i need help with my 240sx. it turns over and everything but just wont start up like its not firing, i know the distributor and everything is fine its just not starting. ive been told it might be the timing but cant find anything on how to fix it. help please??? i gotta get my car running!!

honduh_head
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
things to check:

battery strength
spark
fuel
timing
compression

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-17-2009, 02:12 AM
ive takin everything apart and have everything set up to fire. took the valve cover off and put #1 in position to fire and made sure all the timing was correct. took the distributor aprt and have that set up right, on #1. battery is good. compression is good, i believe. just went and got some more gas to make sure thats not the problem. it would really help if there were somewhere that lives 'round gilbert and southern that could swing by sometime later today and help me out with it cause i dont know much about nissan's being this is my first one. all ive ever owned is honda so thats all i know. if there is anybody out there though. gimme a call. my number is 480 668 8948 and my name is will. i desperately need some help with this as this is my only means of transportation and i have two kids and a wife to support so its hittin me hard not having a running vehicle.

michalo187
06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
things to check:

battery strength
spark
fuel
timing
compression

x 2, Usually start off by listening, when you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump(sound like a buzz noise)? If you have a fuel pressure gauge it will help, If you do hear the pump then check for spark,

when did this start happening? Did you get the car not running? If it just wouldn't start one day I would say its the fuel pump, fuel filter. If you bought the car not running then it could be a number of things but usually its spark or fuel.

honduh_head
06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
when was the last time the timing chain was changed?

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
it happened like this. i got it running. knew somethin was wrong cause #2 cylinder wasnt firing. so i got spark plug wires and it was still doin the same thing. so like a dumbass i messed with stuff to try and fix it and took out the dizzy, without marking anything. so i put it back in, it started once and after that it wouldnt start. starter was bad. just replaced that. and just went and got spark plugs. buuttt, i think the timing is still messed up cause it'll crank and get to the point of almost starting but wont. long story short, i dont know how the hell to fix the timing cause there are no timing marks on any of the pulleys, and apparently there are supposed to be one gold link and two silvers on the chain but all i have is the gold one. please help me asap. gotta get this thing running.

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
when was the last time the timing chain was changed?
i have no idea. i just got the car 2 weeks ago

honduh_head
06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
keep adjusting the dizzy til it starts. or find someone with a timing light that can help you

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
okay will do. i just noticed that there is no oil in it. i had that problem with my first honda not starting cause there was no oil in it. so ima put some in and try again in the morning.

honduh_head
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
oh wow that would be a good idea lol

The President
06-22-2009, 01:14 PM
oh wow that would be a good idea lol

lol x2...

Also, does the K engine have a dizzy? or is it a CAS? if it's a CAS, you can't just take it out and put it back in. there is a certain way it needs to be aligned and it's kind of a bitch. well if you have never done it before it is.

honduh_head
06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Hmmmm good point ^

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-22-2009, 04:56 PM
yeah got it runnin now. used the marks on the cams to get it lined up. but also #2 cylinder isnt firing still. sparks good and everything. pretty sure its not the fuel or nothin but not sure what it would be if its inside the engine.

The President
06-22-2009, 08:32 PM
yeah got it runnin now. used the marks on the cams to get it lined up. but also #2 cylinder isnt firing still. sparks good and everything. pretty sure its not the fuel or nothin but not sure what it would be if its inside the engine.

could it be something as simple as a fouled plug? Might want to pull the plug and let us know what color the tip is.
Also while you're in there, might as well do a compression test. Another thing, is that cylinder getting fuel?

I mean, there are only 4 things that cylinder NEEDS to fire (assuming your timing is correct).

4 essentials to a working engine:
Air
Fuel
Spark
Compression

If you've got all that with correct timing, then you have a working cylinder

Also, if the K has a CAS with coil packs you will NEED to reset the CAS properly.

honduh_head
06-22-2009, 09:35 PM

pull the injector to see if its working.

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-22-2009, 11:12 PM
did that after goin up to checker to ask. and yeah i need a new injector. pickin one up tomorrow. i hope thats all. i really dont want to replace anything in the block. these engines are hard enough to work on the outer parts, havin everything in hard to get to spots.

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
now i have another problem. after i put the injectors back in lastnight, all my gas sprayed out the bottom of the engine bay as well as the exhaust and now there is white smoke coming out that smells like gas. and smoke comes up from bottom right side of engine.

honduh_head
06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
wait you spilled gas ON the motor or gas came OUT of the motor...

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
gas came OUT the exhaust not sure bout the motor the only gas i got on it was a little offspray from testing my injector but i had a 1/4 tank of gas in there that was gone after putting everything back in and turning it on. lastnight it was spraying either water that smelled like gas or pure gas, sure smelled too strong to be watered down. but now it only has white smoke coming out and runs very VERY poorly hard to get over even 1000rpms and keep it there when in gear.

honduh_head
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
what the hell did you dooooo

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
haha. nothin. been runnin rough since i got the bitch, but my buddy said it might just be one of the injectors not working right and dumping fuel in and filling up the cylinder rather than just spraying, which really sounds closest to whats goin on cause its running like shit and will just shut down like its been flooded or whatever. but i got new injectors and fuel rail as well today so ima put this bitch on and hope it runs cherry.

honduh_head
06-23-2009, 10:08 PM
well post up the results man... good luck

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-24-2009, 06:51 AM
thanks. i will. im just gonna get this thing runnin and trade it off for a bike. im gonna take a break from cars for a little while

The President
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
now i have another problem. after i put the injectors back in lastnight, all my gas sprayed out the bottom of the engine bay as well as the exhaust and now there is white smoke coming out that smells like gas. and smoke comes up from bottom right side of engine.

white smoke is not going to be extra fuel. White smoke is water, black smoke is fuel.

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
thank god, that was the problem. runs alot better now and is actually running on all cylinders rather than just 3

The President
06-25-2009, 10:16 PM
good stuff, glad you got it worked out.

xUNDEADxCIVICx
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
thanks. yeah im glad too. that shit was gettin old real quick. still think ima trade it off for a bike though.