AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Good shop for transmission repair? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197982)

USDM_Celibacy 06-17-2014 11:10 AM

Good shop for transmission repair?

Hey guys,

I have a 00 civic coupe with transmission problems. The imput shaft bearing is going bad and I want it replaced before it damages the trans. If you guys know of any goods shop around the Phoenix area let me know.

Thanks.

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-17-2014 11:10 AM

Tsr

BlueTeg 06-17-2014 11:17 AM

Teague Speed Racing or Built By Notorious

USDM_Celibacy 06-17-2014 11:32 AM

I called Bbn already I'm just looking for more options.
Ill call Tsr next.

AZ_CIVIC 06-17-2014 12:53 PM

TSR for sure he built my race trans and it works perfect. He basically does all the race car trans builds, so he can handle any stock trans builds or full PPG race setups.

king06 06-17-2014 01:54 PM

TSR or buy another transmission. Probably cheaper of its a sohc.

DAallday 06-17-2014 02:00 PM

i'd agree with everyone else... tsr is the only place i take my car. however i will warn you, he will at least have the car/tranny 1-2 days longer than his estimated time of completion.

and it may just be cheaper to find a used transmission

USDM_Celibacy 06-17-2014 02:55 PM

It is definitely cheaper to just buy a used trans.
It's just for one of my dailies and its just a sohc. I just don't have time/space to do it my self.

juan3023 06-17-2014 05:11 PM

what all happened to OG member on here teggy something like that ?

BlueTeg 06-17-2014 06:10 PM

Unless that used transmission also needs parts replaced. Most of these transmissions are 15-20 years old and in most cases the sellers have no idea what condition the gearsets are in, or they do and they just want to pawn their pile of shit off to someone else and take their money. In which case you'll be back in the same boat you're in now minus a few bucks and having to remove and install the transmission a second time.

The most expensive part is going to be the labor for either shop to remove and install the transmission. Once the transmission is out, the inspection process and usually the parts, relatively speaking, are not alot of money. Spending the money on the 6-7 hours of labor they're going to charge to pull remove and install the trans, and the cheaping out and buying a used transmission in an unknown condition doesn't seem like it makes any sense.

USDM_Celibacy 06-17-2014 08:46 PM

Your correct, this is one of the reasons I'm trying to get this trans fixed and avoid buying one. I got a couple of quotes already wich are not bad at all so ill have a shop fix it. I'll sleep better knowing that someone that knows what they're doing fixed it for me.

Japon7490 06-23-2014 11:03 PM

Ah I was thinking the same thing... But I was doing research and wanted to just rebuild my transmission since I'll need a replacement anyway cuz my car is out of commission.

So... is it possible to find a rebuild kit cheaper than $400? I really don't know too much about transmissions tho..

I'm taking up the challenge and will be opening up my transmission (hopefully tomorrow) to check the condition of my transmission as well.

LoooseGSR 06-24-2014 07:01 PM

I'm actually going to be doing a rebuild on my ITR gear box shortly. Seems my input shaft or counter shaft bearing is making noise. I was fortunate enough to have a friend loan me a GSR gear box for the short term so I can continue to use my car while I diagnose the issue. Synchrotech actually sells full rebuild kits for just about every transmission Honda makes. The pricing on kits are very competitive. I full OEM honda bearing kit for my transmission runs about $225. You can get just seals, seals and bearings, seals, bearings, synchros, and seals, bearings, synchros, and sleeves, with the cost going up accordingly. You could ALSO, use a Helms and do the work yourself if you're handy. Labor is the expensive part no doubt and I might end up doing that if I get in over my head. Will know more this weekend when I crack the case open.

Just curious, but how do you know it's the input shaft? Mine makes noise in 1-3, then gets quieter in 4th and 5th, sounds like a dog tooth gearbox kinda.