AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Car & Home Audio (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Quit cable? Stream TV? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=203082)

Alika80 03-18-2016 06:31 AM

Quit cable? Stream TV?

Question: Looking to save money and thinking dropping cable is a good idea. I was looking at stream boxes/sticks/devices and wondering how they work.

Can I really watch "LIVE" TV?

Sports channels? Can I watch the Cardinals destroy the 49ers, or the Coyotes shut out the Kings live? Will I get NBCSN or maybe even the SKY broadcast for F1 live?

Exactly how legal is this shit? I mean, it has apps to stream movies that are still in theatres...I just don't want to get letters from the FBI...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here are some links:

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 03-18-2016 06:58 AM

Ive also heard of these but so far dont know anyone who has done anything other than chrome cast. I too woud like to get rid of expensive cox.

It seems to good to be true and i would think eventually the authorities would crack down somehow

LS-S DA9 03-18-2016 07:47 AM

I dunno I've been curious about this too. My father has some thing called roku if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Chuck Chainz 03-18-2016 09:02 AM

Lol, I haven't had cable for many years now and I don't miss it one bit. How many channels do you really watch anyway to justify their rates?

As long as I have PBS and Netflix I'm good.

S!K TEG 03-18-2016 09:06 AM

Here is the thing guys.

You still need to pay for internet.
You still need to pay for the apps in the box

I had one and none are free apps. You still pay for hulu, amazon, Netflix etc.

Its just a box that has all the apps your smart TV, Xbox, playstation, phone, computer etc have.

My wife bought one thinking the same shit but it's not how they advertise them, we returned that shit and bought a Sony blue ray player with built apps and can download other apps. Plus its like a PlayStation 4 ( I can play online PlayStation 4 games on my blue ray player :grin:) which only cost her $50.

Alika80 03-18-2016 10:35 AM

I get that I'd still have to pay for Netflix, hulu, etc...I have an AppleTV that I use for those too. I don't mind paying those, just the inflated cable pricing for 1000 channels that I get but only watch maybe 20...

I was wondering about the live TV and live events that I'd miss...Football, hockey, racing, etc...and what actual channels that I'd get from the box...

Also, yes, the legality of it is puzzling because of the "free" movies and what not.

S!K TEG 03-18-2016 11:24 AM

TV shows and movies aren't "free" you pay/subscribe to them.

We had to pay for our local channels and all the 1000+ channels.

Was it cheaper than cable, yes. But we have a bundle with our cable and internet so it was not cheaper.

It stream movies and all that in 4k, you need high speed internet with a high speed downloader to stream which was expensive for us if not bundled. If we bundle, our cable tv was only $10 more.

king06 03-18-2016 01:36 PM

I bought one of those sticks with kodi and "free" ppv and showtime and all that shit. Some things would play, but I would say about 95% of it didn't work. I paid $80(shame on me, I was lazy and it was supposed to be a gift to my bro) And now kodi is still on it, but no apps what so ever and the dude wants to charge me another $30, fuck him. I only used it maybe 5-6 times before it took a shit on me.

I'll work on it, if I get it to work again I'll pass the info along.

Alika80 03-22-2016 05:37 AM

Thanks for the replies gents. Still researching options.

king06: I read that the "apps" quit working because the source dies. The StreamingSmartTV that I linked in the OP has the ability to find new streams that work automatically when the original source is cut off. That sounds like the problem you are having with your FireStick...

Like I said, I'm more concerned with live TV channels, Cardinals, Coyotes, etc.

fmx_dbc 03-22-2016 06:12 AM

Been using Kodi on a 2nd gen appletv for years. I now have it on my phone, iPad & 4th gen appletv. Kodi rocks when you know how to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 03-22-2016 08:27 AM

Well then, enlighten us!? :lame:

Alika80 03-22-2016 12:29 PM

What he said /\

I have an AppleTV 3 (hdmi) and all the stuff I've read says that kodi or Jailbreaking is not possible! I must be reading the wrong stuff because you have one that works!

If you could point me in the direction of a how-to or if you could do it I'd pay you...

king06 03-22-2016 12:30 PM

Smart tv is too expensive, especially if live tv are shit quality. I plugged it in last night and started reading about installing app and shit. I need to figure it out.

king06 03-22-2016 12:31 PM

Only certain model apple TVs can be jailbroken.

Alika80 03-22-2016 12:34 PM

@king06: What'd you plug in? You trying to figure out your streaming issue?

Also, I know my version of ATV is unable to be jailbroken, unless FMX_dbc knows otherwise...

king06 03-22-2016 01:23 PM

The fire stick. There's no apps on it. Everything but kodi got deleted.

mar_phi6 03-27-2016 01:11 AM

I also use kodi. Have my computer connected to my LCD TV and streams movies and tv shows as well. I do suggest buying some of those HDTV antenna that you buy from Walmart or home depot for local channel.

fmx_dbc 03-28-2016 01:42 PM

You guys are correct the ATV 3's weren't able to be jailbroken. I did the jailbreak on my ATV2 which I've since sold.

What I've learned how to do with the new ATV 4 & iphone & iPad is referred to as "side loading" Kodi. It requires a Mac and Xcode but no weird messing with the operating system. If you search sideload Kodi you should be able to get some good info and a tutorial

king06 03-29-2016 02:55 AM

I plugged in my firestick after a couple of days and and the addons are still there so it's going back to my bros.

I did however install kodi and a couple addons on my computer, does anybody know a addon for ppv? I tried money sports, but it seems to not to be working anymore.

99ssbp 03-30-2016 10:02 PM

I have been streaming for last 4 years.

PS3- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Youtube

Roku- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBOgo

Vizio Smart TV- Netflix, Amazon, Hulu

Cox-100mb/s = $75

Hulu- $8

Amazon-free/prime (student discount-$60/year=$5/month)

Netflix- $15

Total-$103/month

get HD antenna and you can get live/local/HD channels for free if you want to watch the news.

Alika80 03-31-2016 05:46 AM

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll go get an ATV4 now...

How is Kodi on the computer? Mac or PC?

Yeah. Your total is much less than my bill, and you have high speed Cox. The HD antenna is a must for the live local stuff. I'll have to Google to see what "over the air" channels are available here.

nO prEssUrE 03-31-2016 10:02 AM

Ok so i have a satellite company i only pay 70 dlrs a year i do have to conect to the internet to get the keys to each channel but is just like the original service but you still need the satellite and a receiver (not original) so you can uncode the channels. Is a bit of a hard process cause it took me about a year to figure everything out by myself and alot of reading. But anyhow i use that and a IPTV i have tons and tons and tons of channel live TV and free payperviews.

I dont sell it i have nothing to do with this bussinesses i just did it for my self and as a side hobbie.

You have to invest a bit of your time and few things here and there of the hardware but i would say quit paying for cable get a good internet and enjoy.

This is my satellite set up ( I can put the Image but i dont want it full disclouse just click the link dont repost the image just for safety)

king06 03-31-2016 12:39 PM

Kodi can be installed on pretty much anything, I had it on a raspberry pi and I have a pc.

king06 03-31-2016 12:41 PM

That's interesting.

nO prEssUrE 04-01-2016 12:19 PM

just search for IKS services .. (Internet Key Sharing) .. or just look for a good IPTV service .. i have both and they are amazing.

Dsquared Upholstery 05-22-2016 12:07 PM

I quit cable years ago. We use netflix and hbo go or just read books and magazines. Don't rot your mind and drain your wallet. Ditch the cable:bigok:

nO prEssUrE 05-26-2016 11:51 AM

I havent paid for cable tv for a while now hhahahaha .. IPTV is the new thing now haahahaha ..