AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   advice for a newbie (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196235)

TucsonEuroCamry 02-21-2014 07:20 AM

advice for a newbie

so I am heading to figure out which gym I want to sign up for today and finally dedicate myself to one instead of just home workouts.

first, I have been doing some research and I think I have almost figured out what diet I want to start, but I'm pretty sure I don't know anything.

my goal is to start building mass. Since I do home workouts I have stuck to my free weights and p90x. Currently I am 5'10" at 170. I am pretty cut, but want to start building some mass.

what is a good way to start making the jump to start building mass? Any tips on a workout routine? Also, any supplements anyone can suggest?

thanks ahead of time. This will be my thread to update as well so I can keep my own log somewhere.

Spec C 02-21-2014 11:36 AM

Get on a program and build a strength base.. At your level you are best serve not wasting time on "body part" splits, and doing big multi joint, compound lifts.

Look into a program called "starting strength" run that for 3-6 months. Then re-evaluate.

Supplements are really not needed. A good protein powder is nice for convenience.

TucsonEuroCamry 02-21-2014 03:55 PM

awesome thanks for the information.

I looked that up, is that a book?

also, signed up at a gym today. Came with two sessions with a personal trainer. Trying to figure out if that is the best for me since I need someone to motivate me.

would it be better to get a personal trainer through a gym or private party?

Spec C 02-21-2014 05:32 PM

Yes, it is a book which outlines the program. There are plenty of online resources for it though,

Most "commercial gym" personal trainers suck balls.

TucsonEuroCamry 02-21-2014 07:05 PM

I've been reading it through a pdf I found online.

so which is it better to do then? Get a trainer from a gym or source one from somewhere else? Do you know anyone down here in Tucson?

the trainer I spoke with has been mr Arizona a few times, placed in the mr universe a couple times and has won a few competitions. He is really built.

do you have any suggestions regarding a diet?

Mr.Teal 02-21-2014 07:28 PM

redit- starting strength. It will be your best friend.

And ya its not hard to become a gym trainer. Motivation will come with results.

TucsonEuroCamry 02-21-2014 07:46 PM

im heading to barnes and noble tomorrow to see if they have the book available. im aware that there is 3 editions out. is there a specific edition of the book that is best? I am reading it online, but i would like to actually have a copy on hand for reference. Does anyone have one local that wouldnt mind selling? pm me if so.

TucsonEuroCamry 02-22-2014 11:34 AM

looking for some nutrition help, anything to help me get started on eating right.

also, the starting strength workout guide says something along these lines.

workout a
3x5 squat
3x5 bench
3x5 deadlift

workout b
3x5 squat
3x5 standing military press
3x5 either power cleans or row

week one
Mon - workout a
wed - workout b
fri - workout a

week 2
mon - workout b
wed - workout a
fri - workout b

is that a revolving idea of a schedule alternating between the weeks as necessary

heading into the gym on sunday, need some help figuring out which weight is the best to start off at for each. i was reading, but did not really understand. just add a weight and do a set until i figure out which is the hardest but able to get through with a clean bar?

also, is it increasing the weight each workout or just each week?

Nachooooosupreme 02-22-2014 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Intrigued with results

Mr.Teal 02-22-2014 03:08 PM

What gym are you going to bud?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-22-2014 09:20 PM

I was going to sign at la but I didn't. I ended up choosing platinum aka golds. The location is great, even though I live literally 50 yards from an la fitness. So its good location and a few of my buddies have platinum memberships.

what gym are you at?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-23-2014 09:16 AM

heading into the gym today for the first time!! Going to go in and just get my blood pumping and get my muscles working a little bit. I haven't been that active too much lately with all of the holidays recently. Since I am the exec. Chef at a restaurant, the holidays took up a lot of my free time.

I'm not looking to hit any weights significantly today, just going to get them stretched out and the blood flowing. I plan on starting some sort of training at the beginning of the month once I can really get some of my questions clarified ie about the starting strength program and some sort of nutrition ideas. Any help is appreciated guys!!

TucsonEuroCamry 02-23-2014 11:39 AM

well, spent an hr and a half at the gym for the first time in a long time. Like I said before, just went to get my body active, I did not focus on anything, just a little bit of everything to get my heart pumping and wake my muscles up.

feeling pretty good about it and happy I made the commitment!!

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 12:21 PM

heading to the gym today with a few buddies from work that lift. Trying to get someone to show me the ropes and basically how to squat deadlift etc.

Spec C 02-24-2014 12:58 PM

All your questions are answered in the book. I'd suggest reading through it again.

Make sure whoever is teaching you know how to Deadlift and squat themselves. I mean really knows.

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 03:14 PM

didn't really get shown how to squat or deadlift, my buddies have their own schedule so I just jumped on what they were doing today. We did some shoulders and neck workouts, I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was which surprised me.

going again tomorrow. Whoop

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 03:34 PM

I went back to what I thought was the book, and it turns out I misread that it was just someone elses spinoff of the original book.

spec, do you have any suggestions on some nutrition/diet?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 10:07 PM

spent some time at barnes and noble tonight skimming over a few books while trying to find the book "starting strength", I was unsuccessful finding the book, but i did end up picking up a "lift log", was only $10 and figured it would be a better way for me to keep my own log, measurements workouts etc plus the convenience of the format.

i think i have found a decent setup to get me started. So any tips, suggestions, do's, don't's, would be greatly appreciated. Plus, I am still looking for some nutrition advice and tips!!

6 day on 1 off, i have it listed in a "workout" format for easy reference to days.

Monday - Workout #1
Tuesday - Workout #2
Wednesday - Workout#3
Thursday - Workout #1
Friday - Workout #2
Saturday - Workout#3
Sunday - Off

Abs Everyday

Workout #1

Chest
-Bench Press
-Incline Press
-Pull Overs

Back
-Pull ups
-Bent over rows

Power Training
- Deadlifts 3 sets of 10, 6, 4 till failure

Workout #2

Shoulders
-Barbell Clean and press
-Dumbbell lateral raises

Power Training
-Heavy upright rows - 3 sets of 10, 6, 4 till failure
-Push Presses - 3 sets of 10, 6, 4 till failure

Upper Arms
-Standing barbell curls
-Seated barbell curls
-Close grip press
-standing triceps extensions with barbell

Forearms
-Wrist curls
-revers wrist curls

Workout #3

Thighs
-Squats
-Lunges
-Leg curls

Calves
-standing calf raises 5 sets

Power Training/Lower Back
-Straight leg deadlifts 3 sets of 10, 6, 4 till failure
-Good Mornings 3 sets of 10, 6, 4 till failure

i found this setup out of the arnold Schwarzenegger book. i have talked to a lot of people and skimmed over a few books and did not like the workouts or exercises, but i do like this setup because of the exercises and how it covers the whole body and what i feel comfortable doing right now.:beatdeadhorse2::beatdeadhorse2:

Spec C 02-24-2014 10:44 PM

Good luck with that!

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 10:50 PM

what do you think? Do you have any nutrition suggestions?

im going to be spending the rest of this week just getting my muscles active again, then go into that schedule starting next monday.

Nachooooosupreme 02-24-2014 11:39 PM

Damn dood you're gonna be at the gym for hours along with work and personal shit? after 90 days you're gonna be all swoll if you stick it out lol but like spec c said good luck!!!

TucsonEuroCamry 02-24-2014 11:56 PM

haha thanks man. Good thing is that I work at night so I can go early in the morning. I plan on sticking it out. I wish I have someone to go to the gym with me though to keep me motivated.

need to get on some sort of good diet. I've been reading a few things and have some sort of idea, but would be nice if someone could share some knowledge with me.

Nachooooosupreme 02-25-2014 08:46 AM

As mr teal mentioned above progress will be your motivation and in all honesty, once you start working out your body will tell you what it craves nutrition-wise. I'm not all swoll you know that but since I started getting serious about fitness my diet has changed dramatically. No more eating out, no more junk food, my body just craves healthier foods and I feed myself what my body and muscles want. All of your change you're seeking will come with progress, that's why I say sticking it out is the hardest part.
Which gym you hitting?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-25-2014 08:54 AM

platinum fitness.

Spec C 02-25-2014 09:52 AM

I personally don't like that plan at all. But have at it.

As for nutrition, what are you looking for exactly? The most simplistic advice I can give you is this.
If it didn't at one time have a face, grow from the earth/on a tree, don't eat it.

Nachooooosupreme 02-25-2014 09:52 AM

Which one?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-25-2014 09:57 AM

thanks for the nutrition advice.

as far as the workout, what would you suggest then I know you previously suggested the starting strength program.

I'm going to the one on Ina and oracle. But I paid the extra 10$ to be able to go to any of them

usdm420 02-25-2014 12:19 PM

lol he answered and you're asking again.

:beatdeadhorse2:

As for your routine, that seems like overload for a beginner. That's a TON of work....and for 6 days a week?

TucsonEuroCamry 02-25-2014 12:47 PM

yea it does seem like a ton, that is why I am asking.

is there anyone here in Tucson willing to get some sessions in with me to show me a few things?

usdm420 02-25-2014 01:06 PM

Spec already suggested the Starting Strength program.

I could link you to the routine I followed when I started, but then you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not going Spec's suggested route.

I went opposite of his advice in the beginning and now I'm kicking my own ass because my core strength is now behind the rest of my body. I have a good sized chest and beefy arms, but my lower back and quads are weaksauce compared to where they should be by now.....and it's my fault for not listening.