AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   generosity gone south (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172322)

Bruticus 06-08-2012 12:31 AM

generosity gone south

I'm sure everyone has been panhandled at least once in their life, some more than others. I'm sure we have all lied at one time or another and said can't help too. Then there are times you give a lil pocket change, or a buck or two or, you are feeling generous and do like I did the other night and give $10.

Tuesday night I pulled into QT for a drink and snack and on the way in I saw a woman, a man and a kid (playing on ground at fuel pump) in a blue SUV. I said to myself, "I would be letting my kid be doing that." On the way out the woman was standing about 10 feet away, talking on phone but looking at me and I said to myself, "she going to hit me up for cash." Sure as shit she walks over and asks for a couple bucks for gas and blah blah blah. I said, "a couple bucks ain't gunna do anything in that." She said, "you are right, but what can you do?" So I dig in my wallet and gave her $10 bucks and she was a bit shocked and thanked me in a manner equal to the amount.

Instead of dipping like I usually do I stuck around to see what transpired. She went in to the clerk but the transaction was super quick, she then walked toward restroom area (out of sight) then walked out with what appeared to be a cup of water. I suppose she told her male companion because he came over and generously thanked me and said blah blah blah about his dad or something. During this time (out of site) I could hear her operate the fuel pump, but it was super fast and by the end the dude got into car at same time and split. I know $10 won't get you much at $3.65 per gallon but even this was too quick. So after they drove off I drive by pump to see $1.00 on pump. I then went inside to discover the guy had given a $1.00 for gas 30 min prior and these people just dipped with the cash.

Talk about WTF? WTF is wrong with people? Shit like this is why I'm not that generous anymore. Anyway, I did what I thought was right, it's between her and God now.

Next time ill do what I've done in the past, pre authorize a set amount inside. (Had a guy tell me one time, "can't you just give me the cash? But that's another story.)

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-08-2012 12:39 AM

First off, the economy is shit.
Second off, you're in Phoenix a broke ass city in a broke ass state.
Third off people are fucking lazy and would rather take handouts.
Fourth off people are definitely shameless enough to use kids in their panhandling ploys.

Lastly.. Kudos to your generosity. But giving money to panhandlers only enables them more.

Meat_Lovers_Pizza 06-08-2012 12:40 AM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go borrow a friends kid/baby and see how much money I can get

and or go to the gas station with empty tank to make sure if people just put money on the pump that it fills haha

I<3myej1 06-08-2012 12:49 AM

You sir got hustled!!!!

Bruticus 06-08-2012 12:52 AM

I actually did this in Florida back in 2004, just to see what id get. I didn't need to, I had a Job delivering food service product to mcdonalds earning a hair over a grand a week. I decided to do it because this particular intersection I drove by every day had a guy literally on every corner and on the median ends for a total of 8 dudes, no joke!

Anyway, I wore some nice casual clothing and made a nice stenciled sign said "will work for motor swap" and in about 20 minutes I had $23. I would have stayed longer but it was getting dark and there was no street lights. I got a lot of laughs including a co worker and my picture taken a few times. One guy gave me all the change he had and asked "what's a motor swap."

I thought about doing it again and getting a permit, but my sign would say this instead,

Need cash
Not homeless
Not a vet
Just too lazy to work

DarkAngel 06-08-2012 01:08 AM

Sad but true as I had a lady the other day ask for money and gave me the story that she had just moved down from Phoenix and had no cash and she wanted to buy some food for her two daughters. I usually tend to offer to buy food but after a story someone told me I will always think twice unless I am buying them food and it sounds legit. Yes this lady rather have had the cash instead of the food which always raises a red flag.

Well the other story was .... a close friend of the wife and I was asked by a man if she could help with some change and she offered up 3 dollars and handed it to the man. He then turns around and tells her in spanish, " see idiot, you are all so gullible and stupid" all this while flaunting his roll of cash.

Yea tuff times indeed. Effing beggers probably make more off the people they beg than someone working thier ass off. Sorry but I will only offer to buy food and I will never give cash out.

bmxican 06-08-2012 01:16 AM

Only nice things I do is pay for peoples food. I was at a chills once with a female/coworker. Where there messing around and everything and a couple tables ahead of us was this guy. Looked depressed as hell just overall down on his luck. Some times you can just tell especially if you've experienced/been there before. I told my waitress heres an extra 30 bucks it should cover that guys bill I'm sure. Then dipped. I wonder if I ever made an impact on that guy and the other people I have paid for? Makes you wonder and all I hope is they do the same for another person.

itrranger37 06-08-2012 01:26 AM

shit good story bro, fucken sucks knowing theres shitty people like that.
lazy ass people not wanting to get there own job, i aint got the best job but i help people who i know needs help. i dont trust anyone anymore. but i got your back bruticus!! props for trying

itrranger37 06-08-2012 01:28 AM

generosity is gone, kids dont get beat by there parents anymore cuz the dads gone and moms out getting drunk at a party at 15 years old

BGar 06-08-2012 01:50 AM

i never feel comfortable giving people money for those reasons right there

Koyv90 06-08-2012 02:20 AM

I don't know when i go downtown phoenix and i see like legit homeless people i usually give out change. Nice clothed people or teenagers I dont give shit. Unless its a change and they are like wanting to use a phone or bus or something and happen to actually be by a telephone or bus stop.

thEKrew2 06-08-2012 03:49 AM

If I have change I usually just give them that

SEAN_EM2 06-08-2012 06:08 AM

Man I usually never give any of them shit. The only time I've. given someone food was at my first job. its was right off the freeway. And I saw this homeless guy there almost everyday asking for money but I would never give him none. Then he started coming into my store buying food. Like a burger and stuff like that. So I'm like finally a. Homeless person actually buying food with his money so next time he came in it was late we were about to close. And he has 3 bucks. I only charge him for 1 piece of chicken and I gave him 2 pieces fries and a drink. So he was left with like 1 dollar and some change... and he stares at me all schocked and said thank you god bless (as they usually do) and left me his dollar in the tip jar. I was more shocked. Haha

But on another note, last week the battery on my passat died while I was at walmart cashing my check. And next to me is parked a white male, about mid 30s in his car on the phone. I wait for him to get off the phone then I approach him and ask if he can kindly give me a jump start. He doesn't even roll the window more then 2 inchs. Like if I was some threat when I'm in my work uniform which a fairly decent looking long sleeve button up that says global organics on it. And he says no sorry can't help. Man I was so pissed off at the way he was treating me like if he was better then me in a piece of shit ford escape...is should of shot out his tires. Fuckin dick. But it worked out because this fine ass girl to the left of my car asked if I needed a jump. =)

Nate_AP1 06-08-2012 07:00 AM

There are way better ways to be generous than to give money to people who ask for it.

Occasionally I'll pay for a service members meal if they are behind me in line somewhere, or buy a kids toy that hes begging his parents for in line at the grocery store.

The look on peoples faces when you do something for them (and hell, it doesn't have to be money), is pretty genuine, and you can tell the people who are truly grateful, and THAT feels good.

I've never given a dime to a panhandler.

89true1 06-08-2012 07:02 AM

i usually dont give out money anymore. I used to but after getting treated like shit, not one thank you, i stopped that REAL quick... last time i gave out money was to this bum in tucson who looked like he really could use a cold gallon of water, i go outside cause i was in a rush and slip the guy a 5$. he didn't even look at the bill and just put it in his pocket. not even a Thank you! i just was like "wow you're welcome!" he just looked at me.. fucking tard i should've gotten my 5 bucks back.

Waffle_Taco 06-08-2012 07:33 AM

That has happened 2 me atleast 3 times.. there was this guy telling me he hadnt eaten in 3days this happened outside a circle K and i told him well lets go inside and get watever u want then he said cnt u just give me the money

Rzarectah 06-08-2012 07:46 AM

There was this girl at qt yesterday's morn, she was with some guy who was sitting on the side of the store, out of sight from most. And he was telling her to go ask people for money. She was young, couldnt have been older than 16. But she would walk up to cars and just ask for cash. I was done getting gas and I was sitting there drinking my orange juice, cuz I hate having empty bottles in my car, and when I got out to throw it away I made the dreadful mistake of making eye contact! As soon as I did she wandered my way. At that point I got in my car and dipped out lol. I wasn't about to get scammed.

kerosinek 06-08-2012 07:58 AM

I've had similar things happen to me quite a bit. I generally try to give SOMETHING when people ask, even if all I have is change, that's what they are going to get. I've been panhandled like this too. A couple years ago I started just buying things for people. Need some gas? Let me run inside real quick and throw a $5 on pump #6. Need some food? Let me run into Burger King and grab you a number one.

The God Damn Batman 06-08-2012 08:22 AM

Ive done it when I was younger, but never again. Recently I have found the same people multiple times.
QT on Peoria and I17. Skinny guy has black hair, he has a baby and his "girl" (that you never see) broke down and they need gas money. I said no to him the first time, about 2 weeks later I was at the same location.. he follows me into the restroom, with the same story. I called him out on it and said, "You must brake down a lot in this location; you said the same thing to me a few weeks ago" He just walked away.

Another instance this little skinny meth head girl dirty blonde hair, probably 90lbs.. Seen her for about 4 months off and on. She goes from the Target on Deer Valley, Walmart 55th and Northern, and also ocassionally the Frys on 51st and Olive. She will say the same "i broke down- I need to see my kids" etc. She has come to me 5 times in the last 4 months I have been out. She doesnt even recognize me. I finally called her out on it and told her I just saw her at Target and she asked me the same thing. Same response from her, she just walked away.

Also I cant stand when I get another black guy to come and ask me for money. All the sudden I'm their "bro" "homie" "playa" etc. Had this guy last week at the gas station ask for money, I told him no. So he bust out a gas can and sits it below me "there ya go homie; thanks" I finished filling up my car and hung the pump up. He yells "What about me homie!" I respond "I dont have anything for you" He then grabs his can, throws it in the trunk of his busted 90's something Infiniti and calls me cheap. He proceeds to say "At least my cars paid for." I quickly respond with, "Im not the one asking for gas money, and I make payments because I qualify, you obviously would not." He looked at me like death and sped off, into the next gas station.

SMH these fools.

The President 06-08-2012 11:11 AM

my generosity stops at holding the door open for people. and even then, if they don't say thank you or acknowledge the act, I make it known.

I have damn near 0 faith in humanity at this point.

MIRANDA88 06-08-2012 11:19 AM

:thumbsup: like

IMPORTBEATSMUSCLE 06-08-2012 11:51 AM

Damn!, 10 bucks ?!

Bruticus 06-08-2012 11:58 AM

what do you mean?

kerosinek 06-08-2012 11:59 AM

How are you gonna get mad at a guy for that? Shit, I don't roll my window down more than 2 inches if someone comes up to my car either, I dont care if they are wearing rags or a full blown tuxedo. I don't who the hell you are or what you want/are planning. For all I know Im going to turn my head and look back straight down the barrel of a gun.

Keep in mind, you don't deserve shit. Can't get mad at a guy for being safe.

The God Damn Batman 06-08-2012 12:06 PM

Sad but true.

mr.DUNK 06-08-2012 12:07 PM

Chase bank on 58th and camelback I go to pull some cash out of the ATM. There is no drive up ATM you have to get out of your car
So I get out pull out cash and bam I see a older lady in a wheelchair roll up crying and saying if I have any spare change she's tryin to get to the shelter down town I said sure and give her 20 bucks she thanks me I go on my way.

3 days later I go back to deposit money... I walk out and bam there she is I ask her do you remember me she's says huh I said exactly I would remember anyone who would give me 20 bucks 3 days prior. I told her move out of my way before I run her over.

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-08-2012 12:10 PM

damn, 20 bucks is like $100 in AZHT currency

PhxKid92 06-08-2012 12:15 PM

I always see this dirty chick standing on the corner asking for money on baseline right off the i10 I have seen her 3 times the first time she was "pregnant" with a belly seen her a couple days later and no more belly I'm like ok she must of had her baby so I see this bitch once again about 2 weeks later and what do you know she looks like she's 8 months pregnant again fuckin worthless bitch

mr.DUNK 06-08-2012 12:38 PM

You owe me and cray a burrito bud!

C.R.A.Y. 06-08-2012 12:39 PM

Troof