AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   EF CRX/Civic + DA Integra (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Emissions Help (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=194645)

recordwinner 11-24-2013 02:04 PM

Emissions Help

I have an 89 Crx Si with 205,000 miles, it burns about a quart of oil every 3000 miles, I get some oil around the top of the spark plugs where they connect to the SP wires. It runs strong and has no check engine light. It is all stock except for an intake and full exhaust. I recently failed emissions with values of:
Loaded HC- 95
Loaded CO-.81
Idle HC-227
Idle CO-1.45

So I replaced the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter. I took it to the mechanic to have him check the numbers before I took it back to emissions and the numbers were all within passable range. So I took it back to emissions the next day and failed again with values of:
Loaded HC-156
Loaded CO-1.05
Idle HC-247
Idle CO-.68

It was worse after I replaced the O2 and Cat. So I decided to do a compression test. All values came back at right around 170psi. Which is good enough that it shouldnt be the problem. So I looked at the vacuum lines. From what I could tell, they appear to be all functional. I read that the 89 SI does not have an EGR valve, is this true? If it is not true, where can I find the EGR and how can I test it?

Please help with any other ideas as to what can be causing my problem!!!! I am at a complete loss here. I looked into getting a waiver but you need to spend $300 on repairs in order to get that, and i have not spent that much. I will try replacing the spark plugs now (they have been replaced within the last year and look a little crumby but not terrible) but other than that I have no idea what it could be. :icon_eek:

taintschwacker 11-24-2013 02:50 PM

Check your air filter, cap and rotor, change spark plugs, oil change, premium fuel (5gal) and a quart of denatured alcohol or 97% rubbing alcohol. Put alcohol in right before you go to emissions, run the car alittle hard to heat up the cat. Before you add the alcohol have your car 5gas analyzed again after you do all of the above. See if it makes a difference. The alcohol will work for added benefit or if you are close, it will bring you within spec.

The cat is brand new or did you buy it from someone?

die in a dick fire noob 11-24-2013 02:55 PM

the typical cause of a super high HC value likes yours is weak spark/ignition. I fail to see how you can say the car runs "strong" with such terrible hydrocarbon readings. Thing probably pulls like a toy poodle. Change the spark plugs and go back. Fix your oil fouling problem too otherwise prepare to buy spark plugs in bulk.

jdmrex1 11-24-2013 02:59 PM

^what he said.
If you have oil on the top of your plugs, change your VC gasket. More than likely your grommets are trash thats why its leaking into the spark plug.
And no they do not have EGR valves.

Nachooooosupreme 11-24-2013 04:25 PM

Pm me if you still need help

holla@me 11-24-2013 04:31 PM

Has there been a change in testing? I've never seen a "loaded and idle" format. What about NOX?

Is this a Tucson thing?

die in a dick fire noob 11-24-2013 06:28 PM

definitely tucson thing chris, they don't test NOX in PIMA county.

recordwinner 11-25-2013 06:08 PM

The cat is brand new. The air filter is new. I'm hesitant to put alcohol in my gas tank but ill check the cap, rotor, and change plugs.
When I say it runs strong, I mean, it starts up, idles smooth, no sputters, doesn't die. I don't mean that it pulls hard.
I changed the valve cover gasket a year ago because of oil around the spark plugs, still had the problem so I took it to a shop to get it done again because I thought I did it wrong, but I still have oil around the spark plugs. So I know the grommets are fine. Any idea why I continue to have this problem? Blow by? but wouldn't the compression be bad?
And thanks Nacho Ill PM you if the spark plugs, oil change, and 91 octane doesn't help me pass. Results to come later this week.
Thanks for replies.

die in a dick fire noob 11-25-2013 06:32 PM

The results are from poor ignition. Plain and simple. No reason to bring up a cat or an air filter. Putting alcohol isn't going to create better combustion. New cap, new rotor, new plugs, warm it up before you go, should be fine. A compression check would tell you the rings are bad, it won't always tell you if the valve seals or guides have shit out.

NARU 11-25-2013 07:00 PM

I concur, new cap and rotor plus new Oem ngk plus and new wires. I went for an emissions testing 3 Fridays ago and my hydrocarbons were too high on both the idle and high rpm. These definitely helped. I changed all of them, replaced all my vacuum hoses, seafoamed my car through the booster vacuum line, and did a citric acid bath of my catalytic converter and I passed with great #'s. My high speed HC was 58 and the allowable is 220. My low speed HC was 99 and also an allowable of 220. Before doing this my high speed HC was 358, and my low speed was not getting lower than 280. This is on a 90 Crx HF completely stock that I just got a few months back.

Hellsinki 11-26-2013 08:37 AM

It's running rich at idle, ask yourself why and go from there. I also agree with the tune up if that's causing the rich condition

taintschwacker 11-26-2013 09:27 AM

Rich at idle could be bad ignition components, leaking/faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaking/cracked injectors or injector seals, clogged or sticking injectors,or vacuum lines.

die in a dick fire noob 11-26-2013 09:32 AM

car's old as shit, i wouldn't ignore any of these things.

4dr_ed3 11-26-2013 10:13 AM

when you say you have oil around your spark plug are you talking about when you pull them off and the tips are wet (lol) or where the spark plug wires attatch to spark plug? only way besides valve cover seal that you would be leaking oil into the spark plug hole is if somehow the tube that guides you down to the spark plug hole is cracked or broken and idk how one would do that. blow by would cause your plugs to have oil on them(that is the tip) but with 170psi accross the board idk that its blow by. when this was happening with me it was because my car was turboed and ringlands where cracked.
but to be honest do what everyone else has stated. in reality its the cheapest things to do any ways what can really hurt?

recordwinner 11-26-2013 07:03 PM

So I replaced the spark plugs(NGK Vpower) and passed easily. Thank you everyone for the great advice! Could probably use a new cap, rotor, and wires but the funds for those are unavailable at this time so it will have to wait. But I am unsure what to do about the oil around the spark plugs on top where the wires connect to them. Like I said before I have tried 2 new valve cover kits (with the spark plug grommets) and have not seen much of a change. And I do not want to buy spark plugs in bulk if I can help it.

taintschwacker 11-26-2013 07:12 PM

Good for you it was only plugs. It could be your valve cover being warped somehow or does that engine have lower spark plug tube grommets like the accords have? You can also get a rag, some good pliers and twist out the spark plug tubes and reseal them. Might be the issue.

For now I would get die electric grease and put some in each spark plug wire to keep the oil off the top of them and it would keep out moisture so you have a good contact.

cbaracing 11-27-2013 10:14 AM

to fix your oil leak into the spark plug tubes you will need to replace the 4 o-rings between the cam holders and cylinder head. this will require removing the camshaft

and always use oem or ngk ingition components

NARU 11-27-2013 11:18 AM

Just curious, could your post up your results?