AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   New camera help (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183268)

vtakdis 11-22-2012 10:09 AM

New camera help

So I currently have a Nikon d50 with a nikon dx 18-55 lens, still takes good pics but its like 6 years old and think its time for a upgrade.
I've narrowed it down to a canon t3i or a Nikon d3200. I'm by now means a pro photographer and the camera is mostly used by the wife who shoots on the auto setting only. So I'm looking for opinions which is the better out of the box for a newer user...
Or would I be better off just buyin a couple new lenses for the d50

vtakdis 11-25-2012 12:50 PM

Bump cause I'm taking the kids to the Polar Express thing in Williams this week and woul like to pick one up before I go

nelsmar 11-25-2012 03:54 PM

honestly just pick both up with yoru hands and see what feels better... when it comes to quality photos out of a camera it really doesnt matter they are all simliar.

The differences are eganomics, sensor size (both those sensors are nearly the same size), low light performance (ignore this), and menu's to access features. Personally i like how canon has a cheaper 50mm for "entry level cameras". I actually prefer nikon's cheap 50mm but it doesn't work on the entry level cameras, it wont auto focus.

Ignore all of the spec's all of the fancy glamor and just see which one fits in the hand better. And if you are mostly shooting in auto I recommend something like the Sony NEX which has a DSLR sensor in it, but is extremely light & thin and performs great! The battery isnt as good but as a day to day camera, it will knock the socks off or a DSLR being shot on auto for connivence.

apsquidface had one and he helped me shoot an event with it and you cant tell the difference between his NEX & my canon 7D with L series glass at the end of the day...

nelsmar 11-25-2012 03:57 PM

Fancy cameras don't take fancy photos. The reason people think their SLR looks better than a point and shoot is due to sensor size giving a different view with bokeh due to a longer lens being used.

nelsmar 11-25-2012 04:01 PM

I actually really want something like a nex for carying around. My camera has gotten so big & heavy over the years its just quite irritating to even consider carrying it around for anything casual. My iPhone is my most used camera these days... I typically only pull out my DSLR for paying clients nowadays because its so much work to lug it around.

vtakdis 11-25-2012 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the good info! Id also really like to start messing around with the camera more.i played with the d50
A lot messing with settings when I first got it then the wife kinda tool it over..
But ya my iPhone is my daily camera too lol.

Ill look into that Sony as well thanks we were originally looking at a Nikon one as well

vtakdis 11-25-2012 09:38 PM

Also is it the 5n or f3 nex

nelsmar 11-26-2012 08:19 AM

Any of the next models will work, most of them have the same sensor. The Nex7 just has a higher density one for higher resolution, and a few other small features. Just get whatever fits your budget. Ill say one thing that i prefer the feel of my DSLR in my hand when im actually shooting. But if i was going to cary one or the other, it would likely be a NEX because im tired of carrying such a massive backpack around lol (i literally have a massive backpack it looks like im going hiking)

vtakdis 11-26-2012 09:15 AM

See my dslr is obviously no where like yours but I agree I much prefer the way it feels, if played with the Nikon 1 at Target and its super nice just feels kinda cheap ish... Cause if its size

The President 11-26-2012 11:10 AM

Marin is right, if you're using the auto settings, just get a Nex or Nikon 1. Hell, even a higher end point and shoot is probably a better buy than a true DSLR if you're not wanting to learn how to read a light meter, and what ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture are and how they effect your image.

I bought my lady a really nice Sony point and shoot with Zeiss glass. it's pretty amazing. has a nice panorama feature, an HDR Feature which brackets an image and merges them together automatically. The images are nice and crisp too.

nelsmar 11-26-2012 03:26 PM

yup the newer point and shoots are legit and the whatever its called that the NEX is classified as... awesome you can now get the DOF from a full size DSLR with a light weight P&S. I really want one with a fixed 24mm or something around there. I miss when i used to have an entry level SLR and a cheap plastic lens. It was so easy to cary around haha!

vtakdis 11-26-2012 11:21 PM

Thanks for all the info guys!

So would it be safe to say that one of these mirror less cameras would be step up from my current d50

tricken 11-27-2012 11:06 AM

the nex is a nice dslr replacment with a lot of tec in it

nelsmar 11-27-2012 12:14 PM

for what you are doing, I would choose the nex, itl do better in low light, itl be lighter, itl be more convenient all around. As for taking "amazing photos" hands down ill always choose an SLR fo flexiability & ease of control, and the lenses & focus speed. But as for image quality the NEX has the same sensor out of one of the nikon DSLR's it just doesnt have a mirror + 20lb of extra weight in it. The battery isnt as good as an SLR but for most people SLR battery life is extreme over kill.

Go try one out at best buy youll love it. ;)

vtakdis 11-27-2012 09:38 PM

nelsmar 11-28-2012 09:40 PM

Hey congrats! You'll love your choice :) I'm glad to see you went through with it!

vtakdis 11-28-2012 11:35 PM

For the price i got it for I couldn't say no lol plus I have till jan 27th to use it if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund so why not

nelsmar 11-29-2012 08:05 AM

Yeah 400 is a pretty good price, I woulda bought it too! :)