AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Road Racing & Auto-X (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   SCCA - AzSolo Autocross at FIR West Track (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146533)

autox 03-28-2011 09:51 PM

SCCA - AzSolo Autocross at FIR West Track

April 17 Autocross at FIR West.
Link to thread:
Link to Homepage:
Link to SCCA rulebook download page:

We'll paddock on Skidpad 4. Grid will be on the front straight.
Typically the start line is a 100 yards +/- before the first turn, the finish line the same distance after the last turn.
Cost is slightly more than our usual events due to the cost of the West track rental, but the course is always an adrenalin rush (i.e. - lots of movement). Your upper body will get a workout.
Don't miss this one!

Agent Smith 03-29-2011 04:40 PM

hmmm... no work, no conflicting events, 225 A6's in the garage, and no other current excuses, I'm there!

bryans_k20 03-30-2011 02:18 AM

Cool, quick question.

What is the difference between the registration fee and the time-only runs?

civil 03-30-2011 09:20 AM

SlowCivicHmm 03-30-2011 09:00 PM

OH OH!!! You might have to coach me along and I'll be right there with ya brotha...

Gotta get my XS's!!!! grrrrrr

civil 03-31-2011 08:20 AM

Glad you guys will be out at the event. Look forward to meeting you both.

94jezer 04-04-2011 10:12 AM

I been curious for awhile to see what Autocross is all about. I been to many NASA AZ road racing events and was told to try it out. Since I'm new to this I need some help. I have no clue what class to sign up for. Can anyone help me out? Thank You.

90cb7 04-04-2011 12:01 PM

Car? Modifications?

94jezer 04-04-2011 12:18 PM

94 Integra GSR - Intake/Headers/Exhaust, coilovers, 24mm rear swaybar w/ frame, kumho XS 215/45/16, SS brake lines, cross slotted/drilled rotors, hawk hp plus pads, rear interior gutted out.

aaron 04-04-2011 12:26 PM

with the interior taken out i belive you are running in a modified class.
mine is the same.
i think it's EM (E-modified)
if your rear interior was back in it might be in street prepaired.
dont let the "class" scare you.
it's all about having fun!!
plus that means it would be just me and my dad in my car and you in yours :)
hope to see everyone out there!
aaron

aaron 04-04-2011 12:28 PM

just to add to this....
you might want to pre-register and get there early anyways!
this event, from what i hear, brings everyone out of the wood work!!
even the people who have no been running the skid pad will show up.
should be a great event!!
aaron

90cb7 04-04-2011 12:49 PM

I believe he's right. The only thing that puts you in SM or E-modified (not sure), is the gutted rear interior. I think you could be in STS with your interior back in. Im not the greatest with classing, but I try.

Which ever class your in, you should sign up. My accord is in FSP, and im on street tires. I should be in STS, but my test pipe puts me in FSP. Either way it's alot of fun.

Alot more Honda's should be out there. :pissed:

94jezer 04-04-2011 12:56 PM

What about Categories? I'm guessing Novice since this is my first event. I forgot to add i do have a test pipe as well. I do not plan on putting the rear interior back in.

civil 04-04-2011 01:08 PM

Aaron and Adam are right about the classing for your car. And about just coming out and having fun. Your first events are always going to be about getting comfortable with your car/driving/course's. After running for awhile and you feel it's something you really wanna pursue you can get really technical with your cars classing. As for catagory, go with Novice 2/ESP and you should be set.
:drive:

94jezer 04-04-2011 01:13 PM

Okay thank you guys for your help. I'm excited to see what this is all about.

SlowCivicHmm 04-04-2011 02:35 PM

MY TURN MY TURN!! LOL

93 DX Hatch......"stock" non vtec sohc (b7) in there stil with ac/heater with full interior and no weight reduction......only mods to motor are m2 header & custom exhaust that still has the oem cat....still has oem air box :-)

Then Short shifter with bushings, torque mount inserts, 16 way Adjustable Tein SS coils (8yrs old), OEM 21mm front sway bar w/poly, aftermarket 22mm rear sway with poly, rear SRR LCA's (8yrs old), BWR rear adjustable camber kit, front Progress non adjustable camber kit, GSR disc brakes all around with SS brake lines and PBR Ultimates all around.

Hmmm whatelse?? oh 3pt strut bar up front, ITR rear strut bar, Teg subframe brace, custom "ITR" trunk bar, harness bar but no harnesses......I still use OEM belts.......

That's all I think....FULL DISCLOSURE!!! lol What class am I?? I never pay attention to class I just want seat time!! lol.....been road racing since 03....and it wasn't til 2010 I started memorizing class rules........

Thanks felas....

Agent Smith 04-04-2011 02:38 PM

Can I get some more help with classing too?

96 4dr GSR, Koni+gc, itr rear sway, itr rear lca, skunk2 intake manifold, cai, itr header, test pipe, itr trans with gsr 5th and LSD, chipped ecu, abs delete with all oem parts, full interior. Will be trying out the 225/45/15 Hoosier a6's on 15x7's and the 225 nt01's on my 15x8's.

It's been a few years since I've done an auto-x, and even then I've only done like 7 events with 3 different organizations, but I've done 50+ track days without dodging cones....

Edit.... dammit Joser you barely beat me to posting haha.

civil 04-04-2011 03:01 PM

lol I'll get back to both of you when I get home. Unless someone else beats me to it.

autox 04-04-2011 03:10 PM

Unfortunately the SCCA rules are more specific on modifying a car than NASA is. Careful studying of the rulebook is required to make a top car for the class. Some seemingly innocuous mods can knock you into serious territory...like gutting the interior (or part of it).

94 Integra GSR

Stock = GS

ST = intake/headers/exhaust, reflashed ECU in original housing (no piggybacks), coilovers, swaybars, ss brakelines, any brake pads, stock diameter brakes (can be slotted, drilled), upper or lower tie bars which are designed to brace from side to side and not triagulate to the chassis (so I'd have to get a better description of your lower brace), CAT must not only be present, but must be within the confines of the original location. That means you can substitute a small hi flow cat but it must be mounted within the confines of the original CATs inlet and outlet.
Tires are up to 225 width and wheels up to 7.5" width. Full interior except for the trunk tray and removeable parcel shelf. Small batteries OK. No disc brake conversions if the car came with rear drums...

DSP = lots more than I can go into here, but the interior is still required. CAT can be removed though.

EP = this is where you are now. Interior removal OK.

So if you want to run as you are now on the 17th, register in the EP Class and the Novice 2 category (NV2). To make it a little more clear EP NV2.

It may be a class for serious cars, but I know Tage Evanson has stated many times that Autocrossing is the place to learn car control and what effects the different parts you may install affect the handling at the limit. Autocrossing teaches you to control a car at max grip during cornering, transitions, braking...all points of the friction circle. This will end up making you far faster and safer when you hit the track. Everyone else on the track will appreciate that when you're on course with them.
So come on out and get started right!

SlowCivicHmm 04-04-2011 04:05 PM

We on the same page!!! lol LITERALLY!! haha......we setting up Honda Camp again Justin? :-)

Thank YOU!!

Tires: I'll be on Hankook RS-3's 225/45-15 on 15x7 wheels.........

I have 2 major mods pending on the car this month.....but not sure if it will be done by this event......EX Tranny with phantom grip LSD and "custom" 4th gear......plus EX intake manifold with B16 TB.......oh and I forgot I have a chipped ECU!! :-) or I can stay stock...

autox 04-04-2011 06:59 PM

You're all Street Touring (ST) legal until possibly the rear suspension. SCCA rules allow mods to either the upper control arm or the lower but not both. If you can easily replace the lower arm with the stock piece, do it and enter either ST Open or ST NV3. The same rule applies to Street Prepared (in your case FSP). So you'll skip right over FSP straight into Street Mod.
You'll be in Street Modified Front wheel drive (SMF)
The PAX is much easier for ST than SMF, so I'd change 'em out.

Agent Smith - Justin I believe.
You're all D Street Prepared (DSP) until the transmission swap. Not so easy to change.
You'll be SMF as well.

I'll add a link to the SCCA Solo rule download page where you can download a PDF of the rules. SEE THE FIRST POST FOR THE LINK.
Click the first link in red (2011 SCCA Solo Rules 4.2MB)
Start your reading with the stock rules in Chapter 13 all other chapters from there list modifications that are allowed in excess of the stock rules. So, if you don't see something mentioned under the Street Modified rules for example go back to stock, then ST, then SP to see if it's allowed there, if so, it's legal for Street Modified even if it's not mentioned under the Street Mod section. The classes escalate so to speak.

civil 04-04-2011 07:35 PM

Thank you Britt. :you rock:

SlowCivicHmm 04-04-2011 08:55 PM

I might aswell stay SMF since I have a few other mods laying around already in store for this street car...

7.5lbs flywheel, pullies, stage 1 cam....and forgot to add I have Megan Rear Trailing Arm bushings........

I'll pull the rules and start learning...thx for the help!!!

Agent Smith 04-04-2011 10:48 PM

Fail, my daily driver stock long block car is the same class as my turbo integra.

Thank you for your assistance! very much appreciated! It should be a fun event!

94jezer 04-05-2011 11:42 AM

Thank you for all the info man. Makes more scene now. I just signed up now for EP/NV2. I read the Novice guide and went over the rule book and little and EP is the right class for my car.

So how many runs do you get normally in a day?

civil 04-05-2011 03:17 PM

It's really dependent on how many entrants we get and what intervals we're launching cars. But if you're just signed up for comp runs probably 4 runs. And then 4 more if you are paying for Time Only run's. Again just a rough guess. On the road course events you're looking at about 70sec runs roughly on your car/experience.

autox 04-05-2011 08:40 PM

Glad to hear you're still coming!

SlowCivicHmm 04-05-2011 09:34 PM

where do we register? I assume it's not open yet??

Agent Smith 04-06-2011 12:06 AM

It'll be fun even if my car isn't competitively classed.

Has the course map been posted yet?

Joser, register at azsolo.com, you have to wait till the week of though.

civil 04-06-2011 06:46 AM

Pre-Reg is open guys