AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oil light. (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=193942)

CB7_PHX 10-22-2013 09:09 PM

oil light.

Ok so when I would turn my car on, I noticed my oil light would stay on for about 5-10seconds than shut off.. I wasnt able to engage vtec either.. so I thought it was my oil pump going out.. I went and bought one from honda, replaced it, and now my oil light stays on forever, I get some random blinking here and there but stays on..

So I thought maybe it was a faulty oil pressure switch, bought one brand new, didnt change a thing.. I havnt got any psi readings on the oil pressure yet, but I did remove my oil pressure switch and crank it, oil came out.. I removed my my vtec sylanoid (or however you spell it) and cranked it and it ran for about 15 seconds before oil came out.. to me im not getting enough oil pressure..

when I have my engine running, usually I have a tad bit of oil on the oil cap, or when removed a couple drops will bounce out.. but nothing...

any help will be appreciated

taintschwacker 10-22-2013 09:47 PM

When you did your oil pump did you check your oil pick up tube? Is it on tight and correct with a gasket?
Also you should check to see if it is blocked with debris

Nachooooosupreme 10-22-2013 10:11 PM

Bad sensor?

A_integra1012 10-22-2013 10:20 PM

Just go to harbbor frieght , pick up a oil pressure guage for 25bucks and read you oil pressure.

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 04:48 AM

yes, it didnt look like anything was in the screen.. and the gasket was and and I tightened it pretty good...

I dont think so, because the oil light was staying on even before I replaced the sensor. . Im thinking its a bad oil pump, because I didn't have these issues before I changed it..

Thats what im going to do.. I was calling around yesterday to see if anyone had them, no one does and vatozone you got to order it, so I probably will go to harbor freight

INTEGRA DC2 10-23-2013 07:04 AM

Is the bottom of the pan smashed at all??

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 07:19 AM

No sir, there is a ding the size of a dime, and about as deep as the width of one aswell.. not bad at all.. not anything that would cause this..

im going to get a oil pressure tester after I get off work today.. I think they said at idle the pressure should be at 10 psi and at 3000 it should be 50 psi..

Anyone think I could have gotten a bad oil pump? I got it from the honda dealer in that avondale auto complex.. never had bad parts from them before.. but you never know

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 05:50 PM

Well I went and bought a tester and it read 0.. at idle and when I rev it.. I put it in the oil pressure switch hole.. so imma drop the oil pan and see if I over looked my oil pick up screen.. if not I think it has to be the oil pump

LS-S DA9 10-23-2013 06:33 PM

Shiity.. hard on bearings.. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 06:53 PM

Yea I know.. what I dont understand is it circulates oil, but dont read pressure... I took off my oil pan and my screen is good.. my gasket is good when I removed the oil pick up.. I used the ratchet to spin the crank and as I would make a rotation oil would come out of the pump.. so oil was moving, just not quickly.. haha.. I still get oil on my cams, and everything.. but its not reading no fucking pressure. ..

bad oil pump?

I read oil filter could be clogged but what would that have to do with the pressure readings if the oil switch is before the oil filter

taintschwacker 10-23-2013 07:44 PM

Poke the oil pressure switch hole with a small screw diver or pick. It could possibly be blocked by debris.

LS-S DA9 10-23-2013 07:50 PM

Its brand new lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 07:51 PM

I bought a new one.. so it cant be

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 07:53 PM

you mean poke the hole thats on the block?

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 08:11 PM

Did that and there was no resistance as if something were in there.. I took my oil pump off and imma take it to honda and see if they will replace it..

taintschwacker 10-23-2013 08:16 PM

Yeah thats what I meant. Lol that is the most common cause of oil pressure switch failure is debris getting in it and either clogging it or binding it. Yiu could possibly have a blockage in the pathway for the switch in the block. It is strange that yiur pressure guage reads nothing but oil is reaching your cams. If that is the case I would then recommend a block flush for your oil passages. If there is debris in the passage there, it will most likely be in the block elsewhere.

Most brands of oil filters usually have a bypass valve in them in the event of a severely clogged oil filter which will cause oil to bypass the filter element and still retain oil pressure and flow. You could very well have had an oil filter element disintegrate and send filter element through your passages.

taintschwacker 10-23-2013 08:19 PM

Inspect the oil pump gear for scoring or cracks. If the gears werent lined up properly it certainly can cause pressure failure.

CB7_PHX 10-23-2013 09:28 PM

The oil pump looks perfectly fine, there are 2 grooves on either side of the gearing and there are two flat areas on the crank, there doesn't seem to be a specific way the gear has to be placed on the crank other than the way it lines up.. I mean its fairly simple to install.. other than redoing timing and all that..

I do understand what you are saying about maybe my oil passages being blocked, but the pressure should build regardless, I had the oil pressure gauge in my hand as I started my car, it didnt flinch... the oil pressure switch is in contact with oil before the oil filter.. that being said the gauge should read the pressure that is being built before it hit the oil filter.. the thing is when I had my old oil pump every thing was working as it should besides my oil light staying on for 5-10 seconds every start up.. now it stays on.. with a new part being installed the oil light should not get worse nor should my oil pressure. ..

If there was blockage why wasnt it happening before? I drained the oil multiple times and never found unknown substances in the drain pan.. haha. It is literally a fucken mystery..

CB7_PHX 10-24-2013 07:01 PM

Well honda is honda was dicking me around on the phone, so imma have to try to see if I can make it there tomorrow and see if they will give me another one

CB7_PHX 10-26-2013 06:34 PM

Well I got a new pump from honda.. changed my oil filter, shot air through all the oil holes before I installed the oil pump.. and it runs flawless.. no light or nothing.. appreciate all the feedback fellas

Nachooooosupreme 10-26-2013 08:37 PM

Werd.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles on the bad oil pump?

CB7_PHX 10-27-2013 10:53 AM

Not sure, I bought the head and block separate.. but it wasnt all the way fucked up yet, the oil light would stay on for 5-10 seconds when I would start my car but then shut off and never come back on.. it wasnt letting me crack vtec though.. and I figured if its not working properly I mise well fix it before I have to replace bearings and all that shit if it decided to stop working when im driving.. I was going to rebuild the oil pump but I didnt feel like it haha