AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   EG Civic/Del Sol + DC Integra (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Motor mounts or.. ? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=198459)

VtecYo 07-24-2014 11:25 AM

Motor mounts or.. ?

I'd like to see what everyone is doing to control the movement of their engine/wheel hop.

I've tried the poly mounts. Far too much vibration transmitted to the cabin for my taste but I'm curious to know if anyone make a "middle ground" durometer mount.

I'm currently using stock mounts with an NRG "torque mount" which works really well.. until the torque mount breaks. And unfortunately, this is the third one that I've broken.

It seems to me that the rear mount is the largest contributor to vibration transmission and I wonder if there is some "magic" combination of mixing different mounts to get the result that I'm looking for.

I know everyone has their version of what they consider tolerable so post up and discuss your views!

cbaracing 07-24-2014 11:33 AM

i could tell you but then i would have to kill you :autored:

GT489 07-25-2014 01:27 AM

HAsport stage2 mounts should do the trick

Chuck Chainz 07-25-2014 06:50 AM

Stage 2 anodized piss yellow mounts, but they have to be yellow.

S!K TEG 07-25-2014 09:56 AM

I had the same problem with my hasport mounts until I replaced my rear with an innovation mount.

Chuck Chainz 07-25-2014 10:59 AM

I have prothane insert on the rear mount and that thing is stiffer than morning wood.
When my auto to manual is done I'll have front Hasport mounts and rear prothane insert.

I consider it tolerable but my wife hates it. She hates my car altogether.

VtecYo 07-25-2014 11:24 AM

I'll look into these. I don't know when they started doing "stages" but it sounds like someone was thinking clearly. Thanks

So if I get the HAsports and piss on them.. it'll make my car faster?

What stage were the HAsport mounts you were using?

Basically, if the steering wheel or dash vibrates, I'm not happy about it. I like my cars to drive like stock and pull like a Veyron. That's not too much to ask now.. is it?

Chuck Chainz 07-25-2014 11:28 AM

Of you dislike vibration then put the dildo away and just use your finger.

Just purchase all OEM mounts then, not oem equivalents.

S!K TEG 07-25-2014 11:46 AM

U62a are my driver and passenger hasport mounts. I had the same for rear but vibrated/ rattled my dash. I then replaced my rear with a innovative 60a street mount. Stopped the rattling a lot. I still get it once in a while but not as much as the hasport one.

Chuck Chainz 07-25-2014 11:48 AM

But I'm positive it's not like having no vibration like oem mounts.

S!K TEG 07-25-2014 11:50 AM

Correct, Its a trade off for stiffer mounts.

cbaracing 07-25-2014 11:56 AM

well you are talking about 20 year old shit boxes where stuff rattles. you cant have it both ways. either the engine is going to be in there solidly albeit some vibrations or its going to be jumping all over the place with stock mounts. my advice. get a good set of mounts. street urethane version. then go through your car and tighten up all you loose odds and ends.

cbaracing 07-25-2014 11:59 AM

tighten the dash up. the only reason the innovate doesnt rattle is the urethane design. the use tapered urethane and Hasport uses flanged urethane. if you would have asked nicely i could have fixed your problem rather than you having to buy another mount :yummy:

S!K TEG 07-25-2014 12:02 PM

The innovative mount was free so no complaint.

As far as my dash rattlingevery once in a while, is probably due to my glove box. Like you stated, its probably old and worn.

VtecYo 07-25-2014 09:57 PM

Poor girl, didn't your mom teach you the difference between a dildo and a vibrator?
And I have all OEM mounts installed.

My car only has 84K miles on it and nothing vibrates. When I first got the car it had a rattle in the dash which I immediately remedied.
I'm looking at this from a different angle. The car is great and even with urethane mounts it doesn't rattle. I'm looking for a solution that won't end up vibrating my dash to the point of rattling. (Not to say that the vibration isn't just plain annoying on it's own.)

I might look into fabbing up a mount in the front of the motor that connects to the rad support and utilizes a high durometer insert. Kind of DSM style.

cbaracing 07-26-2014 09:04 AM

my car has 43k and it rattles. although i do have hasport mounts and it doesnt occur all the time. mileage doesnt matter. age does. and using a high durometer insert is actually worse than using aftermarket mounts. most inserts are 70a or above durometer :eatup:

VtecYo 07-26-2014 11:09 AM

Mileage has far more to do with the chance for rattles to occur than age does. C'mon, my freind. Give it a think.

A mount in the rear of the motor is physically superior to the control of engine movement to a mount in the front of the motor due to angular momentum/torque at load. Unfortunately, it's also the worst place to mount anything that causes vibration as it is also happens to be where the dashboard and controls are hard mounted. An increase in durometer over stock will obviously be felt in the steering and eventually transmit enough energy to the dash to cause vibrations and/or rattles.
My idea is to add a higher than stock durometer insert in a modified stock mount to the front of the motor which should dissipate the energy across a rigid enough surface to control movement but one that isn't directly connected to the central tub of the vehicle, which should eliminate the vibrations and rattles that I am trying to avoid.

I'll let you know how that works out.