AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   IAT test coming soon (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124409)

AZ_CIVIC 04-20-2010 10:28 AM

IAT test coming soon

Ok, I have tested E85 MPG on my car, I have just added a nice oil cooler set up to help reduce oil temps and I have just re-done my radiator fan set up by adding a nice custom radiator shroud and a 1600 CFM fan. These mods are amazing, I will need to get acutal AEM digital temp guages so I can post my temps during summer driving but I have something new to test.

Now my IAT temps are a big factor in keeping your car running well and keeping it from heat soaking. Now because of my fan, my intake on the turbo inlet didn't fit anymore so I have to get a new one made, but I want to test IAT temps with having no intake tube to see how much of a difference it makes when I actually have a new one built.

1. I will be adding a new intake for my turbo
2. I will be adding a heat shield to the intake tube
3. I will try and make a box to cover the actual intake filter to try and help keep cool air flowing
4. add a heat shield to my charge piping to the throttle body to help reflect the radiator fan heat.
5. My plan is to test IAT temps at cruise and at idel, I really think the Idle temps are going to benefit the best especially when those are the times the fan usually is kicking on.

I am not sure how fast this will be, because I need to find someone for fabing and I need to research ways to make the intake seperation box.

honduh_head 04-21-2010 02:14 PM

can't wait to see how you do all this... sounds like fun :)

AZ_CIVIC 04-22-2010 10:33 AM

I think it will be pretty easy I know what I need to do and hopefully I will have some good results.

AZ_CIVIC 04-26-2010 09:09 AM

Ok

Here is what is going on, I brought my car down to Future Fab and had them look at my set up. They are going to run a custom 3 inch intake pipe all the way over to the fender. Once this is built I will be getting the intake HPC coated to help with heat.

So basically at this point I have the intake that will be built but now I will have to figure out how to get the intake box created, space is def limited. I will get some pictures in the next few days to show how it looks right now.

Mr.Burner 04-26-2010 04:50 PM

I have a functional ram air intake set up on my car using the oem size square filter, and at night with the kpro log, intake air temps are 68deg and in the day there 85-87....

At idle, the temp climbed cause there is no air movement across the front of the car...same as cone style filter...

This is N/A tested. Gas mileage was no change.

This all depends on the weather of course.

With the same car and just an intake tube with cone style k&n air temps are the same....

The only thing the stock air box did was make the engine less noisy.

With a turbo of course it will be completely different. a good intercooler is your advantage to cool charge air. Moving air equals heat period.

AZ_CIVIC 06-10-2010 09:18 AM

Ok so it has been a while since I updated my post, main reason is my stock valve seals started to leak after about 15 years.

I have a Joe Alaniz race head but was running stock Type R valves, guides, and seals. So I had Tri Tech pull my head bead blast it, put new stainless steel valves with three angle valve job, bronze guides, and a heavier duty valve seal that holds up to heat better. While everything was apart I also had Full Race heat coat my Inline Pro Manifold.

Anyways, I have ordered a 3 inch 45 degree coupler to mount to my turbo and wrap around the radiator fan, mainly because my turbo inlet is on the radiator side and the fan blocks an easy route for a intake. From there I will use existing pipe to finish it up. I have also decided I will use an exhaust wrap to wrap the intake tube and the charge pipeing, from there I will be using a THT cool air tube heat shield to wrap over. My main problem is that my radiator fan blows all the hot air right on my charge piping making it really hot.

Next little test that I will be running is a comparison with my new Skunk 2 Pro Series 68 mm throttle body that I have had for the past few months but have now noticed that when it get hot outside is starting to stick open to the point you have to use your foot to pull up on the gas pedal to lower RPMs. I will be testing it against the BWR 68MM billet throttle body.

BWR claims that there throttle bodies have no sticking issues which I have had problems with Skunk 2 on both throttle bodies I have owned of theirs. I will need to start posting some pictures.

michalo187 06-10-2010 02:51 PM

Good idea to lower the temps by just improving your current setup, Seems like its all gonna be legit. What are the temperatures now before any work was done? Post Pics :)

AZ_CIVIC 06-10-2010 03:01 PM

Now that it is hot, I will see what the IAT temps are, Then once I get the intake made and everything wraped , I will see what the difference is in IAT temps. I will try to get some pics up before the intake goes in and anything gets wraped.

frtech 06-10-2010 04:22 PM

Are you logging your IATs with the factory IAT sensor?

Mr.Burner 06-10-2010 05:01 PM

BWR throttle bodies stick btw.

AZ_CIVIC 06-11-2010 07:11 AM

Yes I currently have a factory IAT sensor.

AZ_CIVIC 06-11-2010 07:14 AM

We will see, I had the Skunk2 Pro Series throttle body years ago that would always stick, now I have the new version of Skunk 2 Pro Series throttle body and it sticks as well, even Tri Tech was having trouble adjusting it.

So I will have to see how the blackworks throttle body works, If it sticks we we see.

RSintegra 06-11-2010 02:43 PM

I would love to see a write up on the difference between the two throttle bodies, you can google Skunk2 sticking problems and there are so many pages of people with Skunk2 problems.

At the same time BWR is not a well known company and doesn't have the best reputation on this site for being a very good product. If you can run the BWR throttle body and have good results I would for sure look into getting myself one.

I have looked thru alot of your posts and you have alot of good Ideas especially with reliable turbo street cars. I have talked with a friend who has seen your set up and says it is super bad A. I think he said you made right around 500 whp with ac and power steering and daily drive it everyday. Keep the right ups going because if blackworks wants to get more business they need more positive reviews on products.

AZ_CIVIC 06-14-2010 08:57 AM

Wells thanks RSintegra

AZ_CIVIC 06-21-2010 10:37 AM