AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   S2000 & NSX (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Ls7 + nsx = (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127500)

theAngryMarmot 06-03-2010 10:04 PM

Ls7 + nsx =

Pretty cool build.

ICD 06-04-2010 12:59 PM

Looks like some mad skills went into making it happen. When are u going to build something crazy like that

theAngryMarmot 06-04-2010 01:35 PM

when I get enough money haha. I have built some pretty cool stuff, just none of it was mine lol.

DJ Hookid 06-04-2010 01:49 PM

Ill

ICD 06-05-2010 09:00 AM

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol

theAngryMarmot 06-05-2010 10:53 AM

I will update my photo thread later with some cars I built.

il0v3mys5 06-05-2010 11:49 AM

sick build blog it needs moar pics though

theAngryMarmot 06-05-2010 01:40 PM

Started posting some of my projects in my photo thead in the photography section. just for you ICD ;)

phxz6 06-06-2010 11:20 PM

Is the chassis made of aluminum?

michalo187 06-07-2010 12:03 PM

Pretty bad ass. I wish I could fabricate some stuff like that and I wish I had a NSX

SlowLS 06-07-2010 02:08 PM

i dont think i'd rip apart a NSX if i had one just to drop in a LS7, if they wanted a LS&, why not drop it in a car not as rare to find? like a RX7, 240sx? just saying

INTEGRA DC2 06-08-2010 03:42 PM

wow such a nice build and such nice work being done

theAngryMarmot 06-09-2010 03:57 PM

There are not that many cheap mid engine cars on the market. Considering the price of a beatup NSX, that is the cheapest mid engine platform you can find that would accomodate this swap.

I have seen DeTomasa Panteras cut up to put Hemis into so this doesnt really bother me too much.

redline8500 06-09-2010 04:54 PM

thats what it needed from the factory

bbonds 06-10-2010 02:09 PM

I have been following this build for awhile on NSXPrime, I have worked on the NSX for over 11 years, It is a hand built car from Japan and he chopped it up to put a domestic Engine in it, kinda makes me sick. Ya he has mad welding skills and can fabricate like no body's buisness but in the end it will be nothing like an NSX anymore. I run into these types of guys all the time they buy the NSX and still have dreams of when they owned a Corvett or a Mustang back in the day, what they don't understand is the NSX is not built for just speed it handles better than most of the newer cars on the road today. I give the guy props but I don't really give a crap about an LS7 Engine, good luck with the oil leaks:(

theAngryMarmot 06-10-2010 02:38 PM

I am going to have to respectfully disagree here. the LS series engines are fantastic. I would venture to say that the LS7 is just as good of an engine as the NSX engine. The LS7 may have pushrods, and only one camshaft, but technically speaking it is a very advanced engine.

The NSX chassis is more than capable of handling the extra power and torque, and since the two engines have similiar characteristics I would say that this is a fantastic concept. The weight difference would also be very small, if any.

I don't forsee the owner harking back to the muscle car days, I would be willing to bet the owner was frustrated with the lack of power, parts, and potential per dollar that the original NSX motor provided.

Why not combine a world class chassis with a world class (yes the LS7 engines are world class, look at their technology/race history) engine? Best of both worlds IMO.

I have driven quite a few Z06s, and in anger. The 405hp and the 505hp Z06s are fantastic, and the behavior, power, and sound of the LS7 engines is amazing.

If a LS7 swapped car with basic suspension mods happened across a Stock engined NSX with basic suspension mods, on the race track, the LS7 would slaughter the v6 NSX. If the LS7 car happened across a modded (to similiar output) V6 NSX, my well educated money would still be with the LS7 due to it's superior "power under the curve."

After doing some reseach it turns out that a C32B weighs in at roughly 450 lbs. A LS7 weighs in at roughly 460lbs
So weight distribution should/would be the same.

I will revist the specs of the LS7 :

427 Cubic Inches
505 horsepower @ 6200 rpm
475 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm
7000-rpm redline
Forged steel crankshaft with 101.6-mm (4-inch) stroke
Titanium connecting rods
Cast aluminum flat-top pistons
Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
Dry-sump oiling system
11.0:1 compression ratio
Camshaft with 15-mm (.591-inch) lift

Pretty high tech engine.

Compare to the later gen NSX motor :
195 Cubic Inch
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 290 @ 7100
SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 224 @ 5500
DOHC
Iron coated aluminum pistons
Forged Steel Crankshaft
Titanium Connecting Rods

Still , very advanced.

Granted the C32 has some neat features, But as far as technology and capability goes, I would have to give the nod to the LS7, for its wet-sump, sodium filled ex valves, and all the titanium parts (rods, in valves, pushrods, etc) I know not many people will agree with me here, since this is a honda forum, however I tend to look at things without biased because of what I do. That and in various race series the LS7 and its variants have proved victorious over much more "advanced" DOHC engines.

tricken 06-10-2010 06:18 PM

I would agree with paul the nsx is amzing platform but lack of affordable parts to make the motor more powerful is always been an issue this solves that and also allows the owner to get more if he or she feels that they need it with a blower type setup

honduh_head 06-10-2010 06:24 PM

omg what a SICK set up... best of both worlds is right paul.

The Punisher 06-11-2010 11:38 AM

Eh, thats what snails are for.

Very cool none-the-less.

theAngryMarmot 06-11-2010 03:37 PM

Yes a twin turbo LS7 would be even better ;)

The Punisher 06-11-2010 03:39 PM

Seen it in an R34 and a M5. Very neato indeedily

gunsup0331 06-13-2010 02:06 PM

wow 505hp from 7 liters
(insert jackoff motion here)
it would be fast/fun to drive but i couldnt get over the sound of rednecks fucking each other right behind my head. Eewww gross.
i personally love high-strung, high class motors that sing soulfully to 10k+ otherwise i would drive a camaro and have sex with women addicted to methamphetamines.
LSx motors are nothing more than a big hammer and not my style for the NSX

gunsup0331 06-13-2010 02:08 PM

that being said, 290hp is a babyfart compared to what that chassis deserves.

honduh_head 06-13-2010 02:26 PM

lol wow.

you realize lsx motors are prolly the most widely used motors in the world right? considering they're in cars, trucks, sand rails, boats, replica cars, yadda yadda yadda. much more useful than the v6 POS that came in the NSX. that chassis was much more deserving of something better.

theAngryMarmot 06-13-2010 02:28 PM

Spoken like someone who generally has no Idea what they are talking about. No offense.

Have you ever head a LS7 at full song, 7k RPM? It sounds better than 90% of engines made. Have fun with the upkeep of your 10k rpm motor, I will take 7k rpm of factory, reliable, high hp. I have driven an LS7 Z06 @ the track. It was amazing. I have driven a C5 Z06 at the track, it sounded and went better than 90% percent of the cars there, and it was stock other than cage, exhaust, wheels and tires.

It make "Only" make 505 hp from 7 liters, but it can do it all day long, day in and day out, without even breaking a sweat. It does not need a million revs to do the job. Not to mention, get better heads, cam, headers, exhaust and watch that 505hp jump significantly without the perils of adding forced inducion, large compression increase, etc.

A engine that makes 505hp @ 6800 rpm is going to last longer, be more reliable, and easier to drive than one that makes 505hp @ 10k rpms. And besides, who owns a street car that goes to 10k anyways? The powerband of a smaller displacement motor at 10k rpm would be drastically worse than that of something like a LS7 making the same power. That is the trade-off most of the time. Imagine the piston speed, rod stress, and valvetrain requirements of a 10k rpm motor. Not something I want to run in a street car, or any car really.

The LS7 is a "High Class" motor. It is a world class motor. Maybe your perceptions need to be raised. The motor they use in the C6-R race cars are remarkably similiar (makes less power even!) to the street engine. The LS7 has won multiple 24hour races, 12 hour races, sports car races, etc. It is a true Champion. There is a reason why most "Production" race cars don't run high strung, picky, persnickity engines.

LS7s are a big hammer, and they have hammered down just about every competition they have come across in the racing world.

But to each their own, I suppose :)

Enough said :

Tiff Needel is the man. I prefer Jeremy Clarkson for entertainment, but Tiff is a real championship winning race driver, so Generally I trust his opnions more.

The Punisher 06-13-2010 04:01 PM

Have you guys seen the LS series engines with a Honda based head on them? its fantastic. Trying to find the writeup

gunsup0331 06-13-2010 04:51 PM

ls7 just doesnt impress me thats all

i dont really like the sounds they make either; granted i havent heard many/any that have been fully built.

they are a great motor just not my type. bTW making something out of titanium doesnt make it well engineered or impressive, it just makes it stronger and more expensive. The lsx series of motors and the small block chevy saga ingeneral is a testament to the mantra "if it aint broke...."
little emprovements over time from 1956 to the present have brought the Lsx what it is.
Its like a portable honda generator: it works really well but it doesnt make me wet ya know?
i know less about the NSX v6 than about chevy v8s so i wont even compare the two.
I just know when i build my NSX it will be pushed by something a little more creative than a Chevy.

theAngryMarmot 06-13-2010 05:24 PM

Comparing the original sbc to a ls series motors is apples and oranges. There were quite a few significant design changes. The only thing that is the same is the general layout, OHV, V8. The LS series of engines were a "Clean Sheet" design, IE they did not carry over anything from the "standard sbc" Granted the LS moniker goes back to the days of the muscle car ( IE LS6 chevelle) but they bear nothing in common with the newer generation small blocks.

Making things out of titanium does make it well engineered. Titanium is a completely different metal to work with, you cannot use the same tooling, procedures, etc. Its a learning curve. The reason GM chose to use Titanium in the LS7 is to increase reliability, durability, and light weight. The fact that they were willing to do this in a production car is impressive. There are no other cars with this kind of engineering in its price range. I am not a big GM fan (other than Z06s) but my hat is off to them for making a world class, world beating engine.

Every LS7 is also hand built. If GM put the level of engineering and quality that it does into the LS7 / LS9 then it would be a completely different car company. I have visited the Corvette Museum three times years ago, and I will say they build with pride there, unlike the other GM assembly plants.

I would garantee if you had the chance to drive a Z06, your mind would change instantly. I never payed attention to corvettes till I drove a Z06, then everything changed.

"The LS7.R engine is a variation of the LS7 used in the highly successful racecar. It was crowned as Global Motorsport Engine of the Year by a jury of 50 race engine engineers on the 2006 in , "

You must be really hard to impress ;)

Man I hope no one starts a thread about Alfa twincams or chevy 409s, I am tired of typing lol.

gunsup0331 06-13-2010 09:53 PM

damn i was under the impression the LS series was sbc based

thx for learnin me some shit

gunsup0331 06-13-2010 09:56 PM

Didnt GM make a ZR1 with DOHC in the late 90's? theres a cutaway of one at school, uber sickness but i would NOT want to maintain that monstrosity