AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   RSX + EP3 (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Power steering issues.... (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195228)

xbyedge 12-22-2013 05:57 PM

Power steering issues....

Hello all, I have had my 2005 RSX type S a little over a year. Last year this time my p/s pump started whining and even spitting fluid out. Replaced the pump and it didn't help anything. Rebuilt the reman pump(internal seals and o-rings, did not replace fins or the valve(couldn't find the valve anywhere)), no help, replaced the rack, no help, another reman pump, still nothing. Finally I took it phoenix rack and axle to have them look at it, they determined it was the rack so they threw one it. Just got my car back this past Friday, the 20th, they had it for five days. The steering seems to be a ton better, but I have noticed it has had a few hard spots in the steering occasionally. It seems like when it gets hard is when I'm turning without being on the throttle. Frees up when I give it some gas. What would be causing that? Another pump??? Also, I have no idea what they put in there(I'm going to call tomorrow, monday) but the fluid seems to be red. Before it was really dark and nasty, now it has a red tint to it. So obviously they must not have flushed the system. The assured me they did and that they used only Honda fluid. I'm afraid they may have put ATF in it for some reason. I will update once I talk to them.

Main issue right now is still the occasional hard spot and what would cause it??
Thank you in advance.

Fix.it.again.Tony 12-23-2013 08:17 AM

That is the achilles heel of the RSX is the PS system,

I'll see if I can find the link that helped a buddy of mine with a similar problem

xbyedge 12-23-2013 01:24 PM

Here's a quick update....
Spoke with the shop today, had no excuse as to why the fluid is as dirty as it is and red other than saying it could be from the "test fluid" after they rebuild a rack. In my opinion that should have all been flushed out with a good p/s flush(as they state they completed). And they are telling me that all my tie rods... Inner and outer... Are shot. I haven't been able to shake the front end down yet because I'm still recovering from a back injury, but every single time I have shook it down in the past, there was no play at all in any of the tie rods or ball joints....

Fix.it.again.Tony 12-23-2013 02:46 PM

what the heck shop are you using

I'd bring it by UMS if I were you

thakid 12-23-2013 08:48 PM

Throw in eps and call it good

xbyedge 12-23-2013 11:05 PM

Phoenix Rack & Axle
What would UMS charge to look at it? My account is spent. Was laid off 7 months ago due to the government budget cuts. Unemployment has since ran dry. Hell, my Christmas shopping was done at the dollar store. I have no more money to my name. Literally.
Just need this fixed so I can feel safe about driving my 7 year old around in it.

xbyedge 12-23-2013 11:24 PM

Thakid.... What kind of cost would converting it look like?

thakid 12-24-2013 02:38 AM

I know ep3 eps are around 400. Not sure of the rest of the process.

Edited*

Fix.it.again.Tony 12-24-2013 10:48 AM

its more expensive and laborious than "thakid" is sharing

you must buy the control unit, a GOOD rack (more than $200) and then have the time to install, which means tearing apart your bay and removing all the PS components first, without damaging other components, and then installing the EPS, and making sure it is wired properly.

Fix.it.again.Tony 12-24-2013 10:57 AM

Call UMS and see if Tony is available, give him a brief rundown and see what he thinks.

also, check out arizonarsx.com and post up your question there, we have a pretty good collection of guys on there that might know your problem too

xbyedge 04-24-2014 12:48 PM

So, replaced the rack two times, pump three times, flushed it a bunch, replaced the p/s pressure switch, and had the pressure hose rebuilt(the hose store) and still having problems. No idea what's going on... Anyone know of a way to just eliminate P/S and make it manual steering? Never had a single steering issue with my 94 civics manual steering and prefer manual steering personally. Can this be done?

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-24-2014 01:23 PM

did you go to UMS or ask on ArizonaRSX like I suggested?

xbyedge 04-24-2014 03:26 PM

Well he mentioned the possibility of strut mounts and/or ball joints(he suggested that based on the fact literally everything else has been replaced)
What do ya think?
Also arizonarsx, posted there, waiting on replies.

Fix.it.again.Tony 04-24-2014 03:33 PM

I have never seen a PS system take a shit like yours. it is definitely a unique situation

xbyedge 04-24-2014 04:41 PM

Even though the technicians at phoenix rack and axle were aholes and morons, one thing they did keep saying was they they had never really seen an Acura RSX rack go out. Mainly just the pumps.

Any thoughts on the strut mounts or ball joints being the cause?

taintschwacker 04-24-2014 05:18 PM

Phx rack and axle. Shit place. My dealership has bought from them 3 times, 3 times I had issues. We do not order from them anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

xbyedge 04-24-2014 06:17 PM

Hmm... The guys selling just the parts(like half way mark of the whole building) have always been good to me for the most part. It was mainly the guys working in the shop at the end(next to the street. Airport Auto or something like that) The guy Joe in there is a hack.(he was the main guy I dealt with, but not the only). They just need better people rebuilding the racks, and all new shop mechanics that won't rip you off

cooksfamilyautorepair 05-11-2014 06:31 PM

I run a aamco total car we use phx rack and axle for some stuff mainly drive shafts for racks or pumps parts authority is your best bet.But have you done a p/s pressure test? To see what kind of pressure the pump is actually putting out. Given that your rack and pinion is new and your pump is new did they replace the filter in the line I see that a lot actually most people don't even realize that most cars have a non serviceable filter. Did they bleed the p/s system correctly send me a message and I'll give you my contact info if you want tI swing by my work so I can take a good look at it for you