AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   All Motor (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   21 Questions (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106362)

atomicx 08-31-2009 11:18 AM

21 Questions

I have some questions for going all motor B-series.

I'm looking to go B-series and I hear that they are better for cornering and track than an h22, so I was wondering if that was true or not.

b16a or b18 or b20 or maybe h22? That is the question!

Basically I plan on doing lots of track racing so I need the best motor for that. What motor would do best fully built for track. I'm really leaning towards the b16a but still need to do my research over and over so I can make the best choice. So lets hear what azht has to say.

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 11:44 AM

I don't like the H-series at all, but that's just personal preference. They have their perks, but they are sure as hell not for me. Not to mention their stock transmissions won't fare well on short tracks or even short sections of courses compared to the shorter geared b-series' (not talkin LS). And of course you can go h2b, but again, fuck all that noise.

Now on to the B-series, which gets my vote.
Whats your budget?
Everyone knows B16's lack torque compared to every other populer B, but can rev higher than most.
However, with a properly built LS or B20 bottom end, you can safely rev just as high.

My suggestion right now is to simply pick up a complete type-r swap if you can afford it and get some seat time.
Get used to a decently quick motor around the track, and when you feel you've gained enough experience,
switch out the bottom end with a built LS or B20. Keep the typeR head and trans, and you're set to go. Now of
course there are other things to the build, but i'll keep that suger-coated and watered down oooohhhh.

But most anyone who knows anything about track racing is to say get seat time first. It's the most important part.
You can have a fast ass motor, and even a car with decent suspension component parts on it, but driver skill and setup of the car are the most important things to work on. Josers out there, at least to my knowledge, still rocking a single cam and a relatively stock one at that. But because he has taken the time to set up the car for his driving and has the driving experience, he is faster than most b-series and built b's amateurs.

Didn't you used to live in tucson buddy, or am I imagining that?

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 11:58 AM

And lots of people will say the H is heavier than B and thats alsot a reason why not to use it in a track car, along with
where in the bay it sits causing it to put more weight in unwanted spots.
Here's some input on that:

atomicx 08-31-2009 12:00 PM

lol i never lived in tucson lol. Thanks for your input it was what i was looking for. Your right about the seat time, I love my single cam, but the only bad thing im having right now with it is going up hills, and acceleration, I want something that quick out of the corners, and can easily climb a hill.

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 12:07 PM

What's your budget?
What chassis?
What suspension setup do you have or want?

atomicx 08-31-2009 12:37 PM

I don't really have a budget since I plan on buying things slowly and just saving and buying, and slowly assemble things so that I know how it all works, I feel I would learn more this way anyway. One thing I do want is a LSD though.
Its a ej1 so a 95 civic coupe, and right now I have skunk2 coilovers but soon to be ground controls with koni yellows.

EDIT: Okay i do have a budget, so lets set it around 4000 for now.

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 12:51 PM

wait, wat?

atomicx 08-31-2009 02:02 PM

right now i have skunk2 coilovers, but I am getting ground control coilovers in the future lol.

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 02:16 PM

do you have the skunk2 adjustable sleeves?
or full coilovers?
in the future please specify too.
cuz right now you're scaring me

atomicx 08-31-2009 02:45 PM

boo! sleeves, if they were full coilovers i wouldn't need Ground controls now would i? lol

atomicx 08-31-2009 02:48 PM

Getting Rid of this:

and getting this:

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 02:53 PM

haha ok good.
i wasnt sure and thats why i said you were scaring me.

mind if i ask if thats the price you are getting them for?
or are you getting them used?

atomicx 08-31-2009 03:08 PM

Actually i haven't got them yet, still looking around for a used set. If I can't find a set might as well just leave the skunk2's on.

Dead Bird 08-31-2009 03:23 PM

i was just asking because for the price they are new there are plenty of other coilover sets available at that price or cheaper.

atomicx 08-31-2009 04:39 PM

yeah but its all about quality man!

1point8 08-31-2009 06:07 PM

Ksport Kontrol coilovers are only around 700 usually.
and the step up from there the RR's are only 900.
Personally i would use either of them over the Koni/Eibach setup.
I've even heard GREAT things about omni's coilovers in terms of ride, performance and longevity. they are only 600 i think.
and the Blackworks racing ss coilovers are only 599, even from RMS!

just a suggestion for you instead of the others

But i agree with dead bird above for the most part.
Seat time first.
Then worry about suspension upgrading and tuning. I would personally just get an ls with a b16 or type-r tranny more power and a lot more torque than your single cam, easily uprgadable once you get the driving down, and you have the close ratio tranny for when you are upgrading already.

1point8 08-31-2009 06:18 PM

even the skunk2 pro-S's are available for 720

I guess i should have asked what spring rate the koni's and eibachs are before i did a little research for you.
What are their spring rates, and what are you looking for?
I prefer around 10k in front and 12k in back if possible

honduh_head 09-02-2009 11:21 AM

35 lbs is pretty negligible and something only a seasoned veteran would notice on the track. would be even less with b series tranny ;) but i agree the H motor is kind of a bad idea unless you have deep pockets. cuz when it does blow (not if, but when) it can be pretty costly to rebuild with their goofy pistons and cylinder walls.

Dead Bird 09-02-2009 03:15 PM

thats what i was tryin to clear up

atomicx 09-05-2009 09:22 AM

so maybe i should go for b18c? with lsd and simple bolt ons for now,exhaust header, intake mani,cams ,chipped ecu, etc. would be a good set up?u

honduh_head 09-05-2009 05:42 PM

or go with a CTR swap... its a little cheaper and the money you save you can put to other things on your car.

Dead Bird 09-05-2009 06:28 PM

B18c JDM SIR-G motor?
or
B18c JDM ITR motor?

the jdm sir-g or even usdm gsr are to be had for cheaps compared to either type R.
And like you said, with some mild bolt ons, and a tune, you'd have a pretty quick little civic. i would skip buying i/h/e and upgrade your valvetrain and cams first. much more power available there, especially with tuning.

honduh_head 09-06-2009 12:25 PM

agreed ^

atomicx 09-07-2009 05:57 PM

sweet thanks.