AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   All Motor (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Throttle body upgrade - B18cr (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174122)

Broskiballa 07-12-2012 03:14 PM

Throttle body upgrade - B18cr

Hi,

I have a (Internally) Bone stock b18cr.

pwjdm intake with velocity stack
98 spec 4-1 header with 2.5in test pipe mated to a ws2
Base map p73 obd2a ecu

I just recently purchased a 68mm skunk 2 throttle body in hopes to eliminate a bottle neck. But now, I can't find the supporting research stating it was a bottle neck. Will my setup benefit from the TB?

A set of cams/ cam gears, would really do justice along with a tune. I'm simply trying to set the motor up to be tuned and make some decent power. Can anyone with experience provide some input on this?

Thanks for your time,

Reuben

MADEGO 07-12-2012 03:39 PM

I would piece together everything you want to add before tune, have you bought new intake manifold?
TB should help flow but won't add huge difference.

Dead Bird 07-12-2012 03:46 PM

It'll benefit you maybe 3whp right now.

Later on down the road, it is always nice though to know the feeling there isn't much room to grow as far as bolt-ons go. I'm searching for one for myself too, even though it won't net a huge gain.

Really need the Intake Manifold port-matched to be effective.

Broskiballa 07-12-2012 03:54 PM

I was going to get a IM as a combo. But I was unsure if it would be worth the money. I need some cams in all honesty, but I want to stick with stock valves/springs/retainers. So I'm thinking I probably should of got both with a thermal IM gasket.

Broskiballa 07-12-2012 03:55 PM

Stock ITR manifold still.

Dead Bird 07-12-2012 04:34 PM

Get a drop-in-cam then, and get it tuned.

You're not gonna see any major, reliable power without boost of some sort. May as well just turbo it! :)

taintschwacker 07-12-2012 04:40 PM

Alot of people use the ITR intake manifold and thats what alot of companies like skunk 2 model their intake manifolds after. you wont notice a huge difference but if you port match your I.M. with the throttle body and go with something like skunk2 stage one street cams, you would probably see a difference along with not having to to change your valve springs and retainers. With itr dual valve springs you might even be able to do a more aggressive cam.

Your engine will rely heavily on power increase from the tune since you have the R. without going very aggressive on cams and replacing the valvetrain, your gains will be meniscule compared to other b series, but you will notice alot better mid range power with cams and a tune.

MADEGO 07-13-2012 09:10 PM

I have same throttle body sitting in my closet waiting until boost fairy comes. I already got tuned before I got it.

Broskiballa 07-24-2012 10:43 AM

Pro series 1 cams with stock valve train.. With a tune, would I be able to achieve a progressively stronger/early peak torque?

Essentially, that's what I'm looking for. I want gnarly Mid-range power/torque.

Trick 08-26-2012 02:50 PM

it sounds like were doing the same thing here, i just swapped out my stock throttlebody for a 70mm n i port matched it, replaced my stock valve springs n retainers for some after market dual titanium valve springs n retainers and i threw in S2 pro 1 cams in it as well, sounds very legit but im having a hard time keeping it at idle, it just dies but if i open up the throttle a bit it runs, im assuming i need to get a retune or something, any advise here, im stuck... lol...

oh and broskiballa, i figured id post it in here than to make a new thread since were somewhat in the same boat...

mr.DUNK 08-27-2012 09:35 PM

Pro 1 cams with stock valve train? No dood.

C.R.A.Y. 08-27-2012 09:54 PM

Shouldn't have bought a Honda if you want that.

Going bigger on the throttle body at this point I'd put money on it losing power. There isn't a need for that volume with everything stock. Probably lost power with that whale dick intake on there. I've seen losses of over 5 hp just from someone trying that intake on a 100% stock motor, -8hp with an Aem v2.

Get a nice tri y header and some cams if you plan on seeing any real gains all motor.

Broskiballa 08-28-2012 09:18 AM

Thanks for the advise sir. Upon further research I had determined that it wasn't a good idea as well.

I kind of lost motivation for power. I have too much stuff musically going on. Not really a priority to make my daily driver less reliable and spend more money on it. I have A/c, it's quick, stock and healthy. Sounds good. I have no issues with my car and with that said, I like it like this. Cheers and thanks for the input sir! I have the 68mm S2 up forsale in the classifieds currently.

Broskiballa 08-28-2012 09:18 AM

Not a problem sir! I would have done the same. GL!