AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Road Racing & Auto-X (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   tranny selection for h-1 honda challenge (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=127445)

HEADSHOT 06-02-2010 11:06 PM

tranny selection for h-1 honda challenge

im building my eg to compete in h-1. ive been reviewing the class rules as i select parts for my engine build. can i run a ls block with a b16 tranny? cant find anything in the rules that accuratley defines the guidlines on the subject.

thanks guys

LoooseGSR 06-03-2010 06:56 AM

yup, H1 is essentially unlimited, although there's no other H1 cars here in AZ.

Just out of curiousity, what's your build sheet look like? K-Series I imagine? If you have never run before, you'll want to get some HPDE under your belt before you jump to comp school, although it wouldn't be the first time someone has gone straight to race group with minimal track time. If you're out this weekend, feel free to find any honda guys(i'm in the #13 EG Coupe in HPDE 4), and feel free to pick our brains on the matter.

fmx_dbc 06-03-2010 07:11 AM

I recommend this

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 07:12 AM

really? theres not many h-1 there? im in cali for the next couple years, h-1 is big here. i was hoping to get the car built in the next year or so then once i came home id race. definatley dont wanna build a car if i cant race anyone else

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 07:24 AM

are the rules reguarding modifications similar in hpde?

fmx_dbc 06-03-2010 07:36 AM

Nope, nobody currently running H1 although there are a couple guys that could be H1 ready without too much modification. HPDE is High Performance Driver Education. Its just a learning curve and there arent limits to mods.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 07:37 AM

what kinda cars are generally in hpde? everything?

fmx_dbc 06-03-2010 08:13 AM

yep

LoooseGSR 06-03-2010 08:25 AM

Over the last few years HC has really died out here in AZ. Part of it has been the economy, since HC is considered a "budget" series(but really, no racing is "budget"), most people in the honda scene aren't interested in racing. Time Attack and Time Trial has been the much bigger draw. Currently Gabe, Phil, Simon, Eric, and several others are running Honda's in TT, which is where I'd like to end up eventually as well.

My best advice is find out what it is you want to do and build your car for that, don't build a car and then try and fit it in somewhere, you'll get frustrated REALLY fast.

topramn 06-03-2010 08:54 AM

Lots of good remarks have been made here. I thought SoCal was a mostly H2 field but that very possibly could have changed since last time I was there which was over a year ago.

If you are in California, start driving HPDE and upgrade as you progress. You will find your way to race group over time but I do not recommend that you try to jump into the mix with no experience. Plus, I don't know that they will allow it. The guys out there are friendly but very competitive. Good luck.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 09:05 AM

when i say build. im pretty much just doing springs, struts, camber kits, and putting a rebuilt ls motor in there. its gonna be super basic so i'd think i could "fit in" almost anywhere. perhaps ill just start out in hpde-1 out here in cali and when i move back to az see what options open for me out there.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 09:29 AM

does anyone know where i can get a list of all the requirements i need to prepare for hpde-1? ive read through the ccr on the nasa website, however it dosnt clearly say whether or not i need a six point roll cage a full flame suit and what not for hpde 1

fmx_dbc 06-03-2010 09:32 AM

all you really need for hpde1 is a car that will pass tech inspection and a helmet that meets the current requirements.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 09:37 AM

ok i did find a spot on the website that was a little more clear on the subject. ive read in h-1 that air bags must be removed or disabled. is that the same in hpde?

fmx_dbc 06-03-2010 09:43 AM

I'm gonna let Topramn answer that. I dont want to misinform you.

LoooseGSR 06-03-2010 10:22 AM

Let's clarify something here:

If you have not done a track day yet, put H1 out of your mind just for now, it will only make this whole process more confusing.

What you say is your 'build' is an awesome starting point, now learn to drive. You'll know after a few events of what your goals are going to become. Some even have that decision made before they turn a wheel, i know it's part of my interview process when I instruct. I always ask "what do you want to do with this? Where do you want to go? TT? Race Group?" the answers vary and they often change over the course of a couple events as well.

The bottom line is HAVE FUN, don't worry about the rest of the stuff.

topramn 06-03-2010 12:29 PM

I dont think it is required as I have seen several people have their airbags deploy during incidents over the years. We had a guy with a Porsche 944 have his airbags deploy while he was driving. He contacted nothing, was on a smooth portion of the track. Very odd occurance. As far as a recommendation, that I cannot give because of legal reasons and I do not know the correct answer. But I will say that if it was me personally, I would leave everything unmodified until I put in a cage, harness, and aftermarket steering wheel AND would not do any of those unless I could do them all at once.

On another note:
Once you begin HPDE in SoCal, your level of progression transfers with you no matter where you go in the country for NASA events so be sure to keep a secure hold of your log book. If you ever go to a track you are not comfortable or familiar with, just ask for an instructor or group leader to take a ride with you real quick to show you the line and apex points. All of our instructors are typically very open to working with drivers of all skills levels.

LoooseGSR 06-03-2010 03:22 PM

Ramin,

If I remember correctly, and I'm sure it's probably still the same, the CCR's REQUIRE that if you are in TT or Race Group at minimum, the airbags must be DISABLED. The reason is exactly what happened to the 944, where an airbag deploys unexpectedly.

topramn 06-03-2010 03:26 PM

Yes, that is stated in the CCR's. The question was pertaining to HPDE level drivers though.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 05:42 PM

basically i just wanna know what i need to get started. sounds like i have everything i need to get started in hpde. if theres no one in az that race h-1 then fuck that shit. probly work my way thru hpde then end up in tt.

topramn 06-03-2010 05:48 PM

Don't give up on Honda Challenge so easily. There should be several H2 series cars in California and there is easily about 8 of them here in Arizona. Like Justin said earlier, most of them are taking the hit from the economy and others are growing their families. The series will come back in Arizona, it is just a matter of exposing what we do and getting more people interested.

HEADSHOT 06-03-2010 05:52 PM

ill keep it in mind. i wont be back home for almost two years and ill probly not have the car up and running for six months or so

topramn 06-03-2010 05:58 PM

Well, in 2 years, NASA will still be around and so will Honda's.

ILIKETODRIVE 06-03-2010 09:11 PM

Holy wowzers, Batman.

Yes, concentrate on HPDE before building/worrying about H1.

Like it was said earlier, H2 is more popular in SoCal and about as popular as can be here.

I'm currently building my Integra for TTE/PTE (was in TTE all of '09 and some of this year). I plan on doing either H4 or H2 in the future.....probably H2.

imm0rtal 06-04-2010 09:26 AM

I found this thread useful for me too. My del sol is finally progressing to the point where it is safe to drive again. Sure, I pretty much replaced the whole suspension on the car, but it has me itching to get some seat time in it too :thumbsup:

PhoenixR 06-08-2010 05:24 AM

for the record, there are ARE h2 cars racing in az...

haha...

come race h2!

just FYI, a del sol with an LS motor will NOT be competitive in H1 -- it would barely be competitive in H2.

HEADSHOT 06-08-2010 06:35 AM

maybe someday ill get into h1 or h2. im a military member trying to make ends meet on the california coast. soo i dont have unlimited funds to make a competetive motor right now

fmx_dbc 06-08-2010 06:47 AM

way to shoot down everyones hopes and dreams Tony LOL :partyparty:

PhoenixR 06-08-2010 07:22 AM

just being realistic -- it's better to figure that out now rather than pour money into a car that will never win.

imm0rtal 06-08-2010 07:39 AM

I only plan on running HPDE events/lower classes in the del sol to get out and have some fun to keep me out of trouble. I am working on getting an S2K to drive around too, but that's more for the daily grind. I'm not looking to get competitive just yet, just looking to get into it. I've always followed circuit racing, just never had a safe car to do it in, which is hopefully gonna be fixed soon! :thumbsup: