AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Visionmax projector scam (plubic service anoucement) (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117513)

king06 01-18-2010 01:46 PM

Visionmax projector scam (plubic service anoucement)

Bumped to remind people since Holidays are here

My brother works around construction and some random dude approached him with a Visionmax projector that the guy said was is "$5,899"(had the bar code with the price and also it checks out on their website) with a story that his an istaller and that he had ordered five units, but recieved six having an extra one that the boss didn't know about, so he was trying to get rid of it for a cheap price. He asked my brother for $800 then after some talking he lowers it to $450 for a 5k $ projector and a 2k $ screen, my brother agrees and they drive to the bank and my brothers card gets rejected so no go. LUCKY!!!

Cliffs:DON'T BUY THIS JUNK!

EDIT: they also showed him a magazine with all their products.

that one guy 01-18-2010 01:51 PM

yea I got taken for a home theater system like that. $2k price tag on the box, brand new sealed and they showed me a legit magazine with reviews for it and everything. same story, truck gave them 5 when they only ordered 3 or 4 so they were trying to sell them cheap quickly on their way to install the others. They wanted 500 and I gave them 200... my dumbass got scammed.

king06 01-18-2010 01:59 PM

Well, at least it was only $200, they almost got my broke ass bro for $800.

By the way, when did it happen to you?^^^

that one guy 01-18-2010 02:01 PM

This happened a couple months ago off 67th/bell

edit: also saw the guys at wal mart 83rd/union

king06 01-18-2010 02:05 PM

Dang, watch out people.

azjared 01-18-2010 02:08 PM

ive been asked to buy these too but never fell for it, same story as above

MrRline2010 01-18-2010 02:35 PM

had the home theathre one happen to me before as well. These guys mentioned wanting to see some strippers in orlando

The God Damn Batman 01-18-2010 02:42 PM

good lookin' dude.

ripps520 01-18-2010 02:46 PM

damn i remember a couple years ago some dude came up to me trying to sell me a home audio system out of a van, and he was showing it to me in a magazine and shit, and had the same story. Good thing i didnt buy it

bb4arson 01-18-2010 03:40 PM

man it actually happend to me on the day after thanksgiving..he said he got the entertainment system from a thanksgiving party and he really need the money since he was low on funds for christmas..he stated the system was worth at least 2 grand..
and at the time i was like man 2 grand yah right i dont have the money to buy this
but he was saying that he was letting it go for cheap
me :how much
guy:well how does 1200 sound
me:im not that intrested in one at the moment ..let me check if my brother is..(me calling bro)
bro:hey whats up man
me:this guy is selling this really expensive entertainment system for 1200 bucks he said it cost 2 grand and its new..
bro: dang that sounds like a deal ..
me:yah i know man should i do the azht thing and ask him if he wants to trade for my steelies?

lol

OhDang 01-18-2010 03:43 PM

i had 2 coworkers buy fucked up speakers within the same week in the same area :facepalm:

advert 01-18-2010 05:18 PM

man people still do this, this scam has been going on for like 10 years.

teemfedx 01-18-2010 05:20 PM

steelies can be used to purchase anything in the world of AZHT

chinabean 01-18-2010 05:25 PM

i think one of my uncles got one of these "expensive" ass sound systems for $200 and he's still been bumping it pretty happy lately lol

BigCountry 01-18-2010 07:30 PM

If some dude walks up to me trying to sell me some that costs over 2K new for $200 I'd tell him to find another dumbass to rip off... I've been asked by several guys about shit like this....

king06 01-19-2010 12:56 AM

Now that i think about it, I did get approached by some dudes in a truck with a big ass soround sound system.

J30A1accord 01-19-2010 01:00 AM

I just had some freak girl last night walk up to my screen door look in and start talking, and she was like can u help me with school (not to mention she had a bad annoying ass lisp) and she was like saying "what i needed to do"...and she was like here is the magazine's you have to pick from and shes like everythings free, all i need to do is use a table, and so i was like well how about this chair use it and put the stuff on it, and shes like no i need to use a table inside, and i was like NO thanks dont wanna help you, and she just grabbed her shit and walked away!!! Kinda weird if you ask me!!!

Jermo537 01-19-2010 01:11 AM

been approached by the speaker dudes so many times lol all i say is nope sry man see ya later! next time i should beat their fucking face in for pulling shit like this..i figured it was legit shit but obviously not

that one guy 01-19-2010 01:15 AM

man I feel sooo stupid. olin ross was the brand

this is what I bought for 200 man fml

I just chucked that shit in the trash last week. I read about the scam online before even opening the box and then never even tried to hook it up.

The Black Skittle 01-19-2010 01:56 AM

i had two guys try to fight my friend and I once in seattle doing the same shit with a wireless home entertainment center....me and my buddy literally walked out of the gun store when they approached us, and my buddy i just bought a glock a week prior and we were picking it up, so he spent his wad and didnt want anything to do with these guys but they just wouldnt take no for an answer. so at this point my buddy is like "look man, i dont want your fucking surround sound get the fuck away from me!" and yeah word were exchanged then at that point two other dudes walked out of the gun shop and were like do you not just see where these guys walked out from? you might want to leave them alone....needless to say they put 2 and 2 together and got back in there vehicle and left.

crx3 01-19-2010 02:32 AM

In the HI-FI world, these guys are refered to as "The guys in the white van". Flea market crap.

skar1 01-19-2010 02:54 AM

Guy came up to me at a food city parking lot (yes im a beaner) and offered a badass home theatre system for dirt cheap as well, this was months ago though. Damn scammers

BigCountry 01-19-2010 03:08 AM

Easiest thing to remember that if a deal seems to good to be true.... it is. Either a scam or the shit they're wanting to sell you is "hotter" than hell....

skar1 01-19-2010 03:24 AM

^^^Very true

VTECin5th 01-19-2010 06:15 AM

I was "approached" 3-4 weeks ago by 2 white dudes in a White Dodge Durango, near 32nd St and Baseline, asking everyone IN TRAFFIC, and stopping people and cutting us off and driving like assholes. The Durango was fucking beat, too. These dudes haven't scammed me but I know their deal and hate it. Most of the 'white van' brands I've seen were DaVinci, Linear Sound, Cerwin Vega knockoffs and a shit load of Genesis systems. I've even seen the same Genesis name on car audio equipment.

king06 01-19-2010 08:14 AM

Dang, how come nobody posted up on cragislist?

I looked for the brand on craigslist and nothing, so i googled and a craigslist from some other state had information. I just copeid and pasted to an add here in phoenix in community and another in for sale.

trusohc 01-19-2010 08:59 AM

=that happend to me like a year ago in the qt at 43rd and indian school they were like give us 700 and i said i only got 150 and he said ok and i said dang nvrmind whats wrong with htem just a shitty quality or what?

king06 01-19-2010 09:20 AM

Yea, real shitty quality. THe company makes super cheap shit, has a magazine/catalog and a website. If you google the brand all you find is some shitty lookiing video and the website.

J30A1accord 01-19-2010 11:41 AM

Speaking of this shit: ... ----> GOt on the local newspaper online right now & this is what was on there!!

Police warn of speaker scam

January 18, 2010 8:26 PM

While he did not fall for it, at least one Yuma man recently encountered what is known as the "white van speaker scam."

He is one of the lucky ones. The "white van speaker scam" has been happening all around the country for many, many years, and unfortunately, people are still falling for it every day.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is," said Sgt. Clint Norred, spokesman for the Yuma Police Department, of the scam. "People need to be vigilant and use common sense. They need to understand that there are all types of scams out there designed to get your money or personal information."

The typical "white van speaker scam" involves one or more operators, who are usually driving an SUV, minivan or a panel van of some type (usually a white one, hence the name of the scam).

The operators typically set up their scam in high-traffic commercial areas, such as parking lots, gas stations, colleges or large apartment complexes and approach people. They often claim to work for an audio retailer or audio installer and that, through some sort of error or due to the client changing the order after supplies were purchased, they have extra speakers.

After repeatedly stating the speaker's "value" as anywhere between $1,800 and $3,000, the operators, who sometimes even use brochures or magazine advertisements, will then tell the potential buyer (the victim) that they need to dispose of the speakers quickly and are willing to get rid of them at "well below retail" prices.

That is exactly what happened to a Yuma man, who asked that his name be withheld, according to an e-mail he sent the Yuma Sun in attempt to make more people aware of the scam and not fall prey to it.

In his e-mail, the man said he was at a shop getting his car repaired when two guys in a white van pulled up and asked if he was interested in buying a top-of-the-line home surround system.

The scam is designed to work on people's desire to get a really good deal. Norred said people should also remember that most reputable companies wouldn't conduct business in this manner.

While he couldn't verify if there are any reports of the "white van scam" being filed with YPD, Norred encouraged anyone who believes he or she has been targeted in a scam to contact the police or the Yuma County Sheriff's Office.

Norred said both YPD and YCSO try to inform the public as much as possible about scams, but "there are so many out there and they are constantly changing. No matter what we do, it is hard to keep up."

Scams will be around as long as people keep falling for them, he said. "When the bad guys find something that works, they stick with it."

In addition to local law enforcement agencies, Norred said readers can get information about current scams from the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, the Arizona Attorney General's Office and the U.S. Postal Inspection Services

The Black Skittle 01-20-2010 12:28 AM

you're one of them arent you :hi: