AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Road Racing & Auto-X (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Honda Challenge Discussion Thread (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=168586)

Chef 04-03-2012 05:33 PM

Honda Challenge Discussion Thread

As requested by Leland here is a section where all of the Honda Challenge (to be) and already in folks can come and discuss all of your Honda challenge questions and disscussions.... :)

Lets try and keep this on topic..... with only Honda challenge associated stuff....

SlowCivicHmm 04-03-2012 06:56 PM

I wanted to build, but I can't run...........so didn't bother........already have the b20 and 2 cars to choose from.......

This should be good, HC is a great series, and love the videos online.....

But is anyone from H2 really on AZHT??

INTEGRA DC2 04-03-2012 09:02 PM

Simmon
Eric D.
Leland
Tony Lisa
Tony Szirka
Ravi

i am sure there are alot of others i am missing

BlueTeg 04-03-2012 11:02 PM

mixedCRX 04-03-2012 11:17 PM

OK so as someone wanting to eventually get into honda challenge, I have looked over the rule book and was thinking about H2 I think... It was the one class where it could be a B16 with only stock honda parts in it and a max of .25mm over bore for the pistons and the car weighing 2200lbs minimum.

My main question isn't about car setup because I know there is the rule book for that but I wanted to know what I would have to have to run it. I'm not sure but I think its run with NASA and I'm sure I'd have to have a race group license to participate. So how would I go about getting the prerecresits needed to be able to run HC is where I'm going with this.

-Brandon

Vtecracer 04-04-2012 08:52 AM

The first thing you would need to do is join Nasa. You join nasa and go through the HPDE process, if you have a nationally accredited race license (SCCA, GRAND AM) you can go into race group. If not then you will need to work up and complete competition school with NAsa. Upon completion of comp school, Race car tech, and a physical you can enter the race.

Right now we have 12 cars in honda challenge. There are a few of us currently on AZHT, Me, Simon, Gabe, Merv, Tony S, Tony Lisa, Leland, and a few others who are talking about coming out to play.. including ravi.

Leland 04-04-2012 12:29 PM

****This post will be updated as mush as possible****

HONDA CHALLENGE NASA ARIZONA REGION
4/14/2012 HC Gathering
Discussed
-Started with meet and great
-*Car Contact*
......its competitive racing so chances are greater
......we all own, pay for and race our own cars and wish to continue to do so
......we wish for this series to grow and car contact is very frowned upon
-Weighing ALL cars after qualifying
-Weighing top finishers after race
-Placing vinyl numbers for car minimum comp weight on car
-INDE May 5/6- about 6 or 7 Honda Challenge participants plan to be there

IMR May5/6
Doug E
Jason N
Gabe O/ Mervin T
Leland F
Eric D

Next HC Meeting: TBA

mixedCRX 04-04-2012 12:51 PM

Thanks Eric and Leland!

Leland, if you make it to the main event the 27-29th I would like to talk more about me possibly getting in on that fun in HC

LoooseGSR 04-04-2012 01:00 PM

I will add that it is not 'required' that you go through HPDE1-4, although it is HIGHLY recommended.

Someone can come out and race as long as they meet the requirements of going through HPDE 1 and learning the track, and showing they are competent on the course and in traffic. If they do that and want to go through Competition School they are free to do so again provided they have all the correct safety equipment, etc.

My student this weekend has aspirations to race and actually did HPDE 1 in a PTE car and will likely join HC shortly. His plans are to complete comp school when it is offered in the fall. His car was actually used in race group by his father-in-law, and from what I saw, my student will likely be faster...lol.

Bottom line is that there are no politics that state you are guaranteed anything so if an official doesn't think you're ready, they can make that decision as long as they have a valid reason, but if you're competent, you should be fine moving to race group quickly if that's truly what you want.

mixedCRX 04-04-2012 01:09 PM

I will probably try and get as much instruction as possible just like I did with ProAuto. I like being told what I can improve on and being shown different lines and car control ideas. I've been told that when I'm ready I can join race group with ProAuto, so that just helps with confidence.

First things first, I still don't have a car that is ready for race group so I'll just work through the levels when I start running with NASA.

Leland 04-04-2012 01:29 PM

inside #510 Jan 2012 race

inside #21 feb4, 2012 race

*** inside #627 feb5, 2012 qualify

inside #21 feb5, 2012 race

Leland 04-05-2012 12:49 PM

NASAAZ HC meet up in the planning and details will be announced upon approval.

Also Doug E our regional honda challenge group leader most likely will be joining us here on AZHT :thewave:

IN 4 HOE 04-05-2012 04:47 PM

Honda challenge is something I may try to get into this year(or next). Currently in DE3 but as soon as I get the car back together and get more seat time, I will start looking into this.

Leland 04-05-2012 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an approximate of what my car is.

SDSK 04-06-2012 10:46 AM

can one of you guys post a link for rules? also is there a class for nearlt stock that dosen't require a roll cage? i plan on getting one but money is tight and just wanna run stock with exception of suspention... (ebay coilovers and cheap springs....)

LoooseGSR 04-06-2012 03:03 PM

SlowCivicHmm 04-06-2012 04:17 PM

Sounds to me you will be in street group......or DE......

HC is not where you should start looking to build a car.....get your feet wet and see if you really wanna drop $$ into a race car, or just have a fun car to drive when you can afford it.....

Sincerely,

The Guy that has a Monthly Race Payment for the last 4yrs....

Leland 04-06-2012 09:55 PM

true, just get out to the track meet some people, bs... get some ride a longs. theres a track day the same day as the SM cruz @ FIR

Leland 04-10-2012 07:29 PM

for those that are interested in the honda challenge gathering this weekend there will be an email from doug going out but it will most likely just include those that already have raced this year or are frequent nasa participants close to joining race group. id post in here to see if doug will add you to the list.

SDSK 04-10-2012 07:40 PM

Damn... dedicated... good on you sir and thanks for the input.

you mean the same day as the DA south mtn cruise? if so i'll roll out with you to there instead of the squarebutt roundbutt thing...

oh and where or what is FIR? firebird raceway?

Leland 04-10-2012 07:48 PM

the da meet is the 28th right?

14th HC gathering

28th ProAuto FIR(firebird international raceway) and DA meet.

SlowCivicHmm 04-10-2012 08:55 PM

April 28th?? @ FIR?? ProAuto has an event then.......

Leland 04-10-2012 09:30 PM

thats want i meant... going to try to cruz out

topramn 04-11-2012 09:51 PM

This thread is now a sticky!

SDSK 04-12-2012 08:59 PM

LOL^^^ is it ok if i post the info for the DA meet? with it being the same day and the fact that some of us from the meet are gonna roll out to it i thought it would be "kinda" on topic...

Leland 04-13-2012 04:10 AM

only thing is that honda chanllenge is nasa and the DA meet is on a proauto day, plus this thread is on going for honda challenge and the meet is once.

would like to stick to HC questions, how to get started, HC gatherings, rule changes etc about honda challenge.

Leland 04-16-2012 11:40 AM

Post #7 updated

SDSK 04-16-2012 07:45 PM

cool beans... although a couple of us are talking about doing it once a month but i'll leave the rest fot the thread. what time are you going to roll out to FIR?

Leland 05-07-2012 05:54 PM

weight stickers and weigh in worked well this weekend.

Leland 06-05-2012 07:14 PM

Next NASA AZ Honda Challenge party in the planning....

vid from last event